Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

KRFT 1.1 update, iPad version

Comments

• Awesome!!!!! Thanks Alex!

Ok everyone if you're still on the fence, for the price of a hamburger, you can get in on the ground floor of this amazing app!

I'm so glad I did. Can't wait for what's in store.

@Alex fox said:
    I did another MiniJam! Hope you enjoy it =>

We're currently working on adding Link & sample import, both of which are coming along pretty well so should be here soon! Also, today is the last day to get the 40% launch discount!

Happy KRFTing !

• edited February 2017

Does the app have midi out, midi learn for map external controller, and can it do tuplets on the grid?

• @InfoCheck said:
    @Alex fox An AU host version of KRFT so you wouldn't be limited by the instruments available in KRFT yet you'd be able to leverage its controls and GUI is my wish.

KRFT could send the following to the AU apps: Notes, CC messages, preset changes. Being able to sequence all of these is desirable.

You'd open up the AU app, set controls up and then close it so it's just played via the KRFT surface controls. XY pads where you select which parameters and/or their inverse for each axis would be essential to maximize the potential. A third axis for pressure sensitivity on devices (recent phones) which support this would round things off.

AU effect apps could also be used to alter the built in sounds of KRFT too.

On the phone, the AU host app version of KRFT could really give people an opportunity to create more involved setups that can be easily played.

I think IAA apps are too inconsistent in how they're implemented to create a reliable user experience when hosted in KRFT versus hosting AU apps.

Being able to set different controls to receive MIDI input to control the KRFT instrument or AU host app would allow for even more options. The AUM MIDI routing matrix could be a starting point. MIDI in/out would be really great especially if you could assign the output from individual controls to different MIDI destinations.

It would be especially nice with Link to get everything in sync.

Rather than bog the whole thing down as a host at all (look what happened to ModStep) I'd rather see simply Midi-Out added. This is a fabulous composition and performance tool! I have other fabulous hosts that are very good at what they do, but sap my creativity. I'm happy to deal with the plumbing to get the Midi where it needs to go (particularly if Audiobus 3 is what I hope it is) rather than have them lose focus going down the rat-hole of iOS hosting.

• +1000 have to agree with Wim on that, guess that answers the midi out question, but also I'd like to know does it currently have fx automation?

• Rejoined the forum simply to congratulate the developer because...I feel it is as significant a contribution to the iOS music scene as thumb jam.

I cannot keep my hands off this app lol...

One feature request though...it would be even more amazing if one could export set bar loops to other apps like gadget

Well done Alex...this is a serious app and I look forwards to further updates of this instant classic!

• @KlaatuNinja said:
    Another new jam, Chilled Berlin style.

This is good..damned good!

• @wim said:
    Rather than bog the whole thing down as a host at all (look what happened to ModStep) I'd rather see simply Midi-Out added. This is a fabulous composition and performance tool! I have other fabulous hosts that are very good at what they do, but sap my creativity. I'm happy to deal with the plumbing to get the Midi where it needs to go (particularly if Audiobus 3 is what I hope it is) rather than have them lose focus going down the rat-hole of iOS hosting.

Yes, I think we're quite likely to implement midi out to keep it simple. We can always expand if need be.

@Love3quency said:
    One feature request though...it would be even more amazing if one could export set bar loops to other apps like gadget

Well done Alex...this is a serious app and I look forwards to further updates of this instant classic!

Thanks! Great to hear. We've been mulling audio stem export and midi stem export for a while. Not sure when it will come but it's on the list.

@kobamoto said:
    Does the app have midi out, midi learn for map external controller, and can it do tuplets on the grid?

The grid can only do 16th, 8th and "free" at the moment but we were talking about adding some more "snaps" today. Do you know of any good examples in other apps we can take a look at?

• @Alex fox audio stem export would be soooooo awesome!!

• edited February 2017

@Love3quency said:

@KlaatuNinja said:

thanks!! :blush:

• @KlaatuNinja said:

@Love3quency said:

@KlaatuNinja said:

thanks!! :blush:

+1 - more please. Subscribing :)

• @Alex fox said:

We're currently working on adding Link & sample import, both of which are coming along pretty well so should be here soon!

Great stuff, having lots of fun with this app.

Background audio, ins (Audioshare support...not the dreaded iTunes) and outs (IAA and/or Audiobus) and this app will be top of my go-to compositional toolset.

• edited February 2017

@Alex fox said:

@wim said:

Yes, I think we're quite likely to implement midi out to keep it simple. We can always expand if need be.

@Love3quency said:

Thanks! Great to hear. We've been mulling audio stem export and midi stem export for a while. Not sure when it will come but it's on the list.

@kobamoto said:

The grid can only do 16th, 8th and "free" at the moment but we were talking about adding some more "snaps" today. Do you know of any good examples in other apps we can take a look at?

Have a look at molten. Molten Drum Machine by One Red Dog Media
    https://appsto.re/gb/r_ZXx.i

• edited February 2017

@wim said:

@InfoCheck said:
    @Alex fox An AU host version of KRFT so you wouldn't be limited by the instruments available in KRFT yet you'd be able to leverage its controls and GUI is my wish.

KRFT could send the following to the AU apps: Notes, CC messages, preset changes. Being able to sequence all of these is desirable.

You'd open up the AU app, set controls up and then close it so it's just played via the KRFT surface controls. XY pads where you select which parameters and/or their inverse for each axis would be essential to maximize the potential. A third axis for pressure sensitivity on devices (recent phones) which support this would round things off.

On the phone, the AU host app version of KRFT could really give people an opportunity to create more involved setups that can be easily played.

I think IAA apps are too inconsistent in how they're implemented to create a reliable user experience when hosted in KRFT versus hosting AU apps.

Being able to set different controls to receive MIDI input to control the KRFT instrument or AU host app would allow for even more options. The AUM MIDI routing matrix could be a starting point. MIDI in/out would be really great especially if you could assign the output from individual controls to different MIDI destinations.

Being an AU host wouldn't mean you'd be bogging down the whole app and you would not have to use any AU apps in your setup if you didn't want to. Modstep has IAA and AU. Using AUM as an AU host is a relatively easy setup with minimal problems. I think it'd certainly be possible to use KRFT as a MIDI controller but then you'd have to figure out how to sync with other apps which is a not a problem at all with an AU app being hosted. AU host setups also have the advantage that all of your setups will easily be recalled from project.

• @KlaatuNinja said:
    Little chilled dark hip hop beat with the new version with iPad support.

The Studio Amplify videos are great for showing off how the UI works, but this is the money track right here. Anyone trying sell an audio app should get you to do a demo!

• @Alex fox said:
    I did another MiniJam! Hope you enjoy it =>

We're currently working on adding Link & sample import, both of which are coming along pretty well so should be here soon! Also, today is the last day to get the 40% launch discount!

Happy KRFTing !

My basic litmus for an app like this is Link. You've promised Link, so I've pre-bought in support. Fingers crossed

• @srcer said:
    My basic litmus for an app like this is Link. You've promised Link, so I've pre-bought in support. Fingers crossed

I'm not convinced there are any apps like this. It's some kind of one and one finally makes three thing I think...glad to hear that the 'export x perfect bars' is somewhere on the whiteboard...

• Yep
    Link, sample import, midi out, stem (perfect bars), and additional grids will make me buy this for sure.

• @Alex fox

Congratulations on the app. I just got some time to have a go. As someone said above - it's an instant classic.

It's like the perfect surface -driven live groove box going. Surely we're going to see someone 'serious' put this to good use, live. (It actually reminds me of the Novation Circuit a bit).

My list of wish it hads:

1. Link
    2. Midi out for notes and midi ccs (would be amazing!!!)
    3. A new widget for 'active step' type playing of the loops. (Take a look at active step on the Volcas or even better the 'performance' function on the Genome app). Basically a way to vary the portion of the sequence played but each loop. That would massively open up the playing ability to change it from effectively "switching loops on and off" to "performing multiple sequencers like instruments".
    4. Background audio

I agree about not needing to go down the AU host option at this point. Personally I'd just use AUM for the host of AUs if you gave it midi out.

• Don't need it, watch video, might need it, looks cool, but limited integration so don't need it, at peace with decision, go to bed, read thread, see devs input and other more learned people recommending, look at price, buy, play around, nice, looking forward to further developments.

• It's like Auxy and Midi Designer Pro had a baby...

Sort of...

But there's hope for Midi out.

Imagine sequencing a rack of top notch hardware synths with this thing... :).

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    @Alex fox

Congratulations on the app. I just got some time to have a go. As someone said above - it's an instant classic.

It's like the perfect surface -driven live groove box going. Surely we're going to see someone 'serious' put this to good use, live. (It actually reminds me of the Novation Circuit a bit).

My list of wish it hads:

1. Link
    3. A new widget for 'active step' type playing of the loops. (Take a look at active step on the Volcas or even better the 'performance' function on the Genome app). Basically a way to vary the portion of the sequence played but each loop. That would massively open up the playing ability to change it from effectively "switching loops on and off" to "performing multiple sequencers like instruments".
    4. Background audio

I agree about not needing to go down the AU host option at this point. Personally I'd just use AUM for the host of AUs if you gave it midi out.

I've been on the fence with this one... but since you like it @Matt_Fletcher_2000 I think I'll get it. You and I have similar likes/dislikes/uses with many apps I've found.

• edited February 2017

@Halftone said:

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    @Alex fox

My list of wish it hads:

1. Link
    4. Background audio

I've been on the fence with this one... but since you like it @Matt_Fletcher_2000 I think I'll get it. You and I have similar likes/dislikes/uses with many apps I've found.

I don't think you'll regret it. Just for jamming some interesting drum stuff (complete with fills and automation) its very nice.

You could record the whole thing and then just use the best bits in a track.

(Recording as audio stems if it's possible in the future would be really great actually).

@Alex fox - I think you've really nail it with this app!

• @TheVimFuego said:
    Don't need it, watch video, might need it, looks cool, but limited integration so don't need it, at peace with decision, go to bed, read thread, see devs input and other more learned people recommending, look at price, buy, play around, nice, looking forward to further developments.

Yep. Did the same dance Sat/Sun. Caved last night. Glad I did. :)

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

Oh I do.

• edited February 2017

5 The ability to 'DJ mix' between one surface to another. Can you imagine? You could have people doing 1 hour sets!

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

Oh I do.

this

• This app is also rock solid! Haven't had a single crash since purchase!!!

Congrats on great build quality and programming!!!!

• Reviews people please leave reviews that's what really helps developers!

• 6 How come no dial option for filter resonance (just cutoff)?

• @InfoCheck said:

@wim said:

@InfoCheck said:

Being an AU host wouldn't mean you'd be bogging down the whole app and you would not have to use any AU apps in your setup if you didn't want to.

I was referring to bogging down the developers, not the app. It's a rathole. This is a breakthrough app, as Modstep was. Look how far has it evolved since trying to become a host, how stable is it? OK, its gotten fantastically better of late, but at what cost in developer effort? And its stability problems have not all been with IAA, they have been with AU hosting as well.

Using AUM as an AU host is a relatively easy setup with minimal problems.

Exactly. Why re-invent the wheel?

I think it'd certainly be possible to use KRFT as a MIDI controller but then you'd have to figure out how to sync with other apps which is a not a problem at all with an AU app being hosted.

Hummm ... Midi clock? Link? I've heard those technologies are involved some way in synchronizing apps. Don't take my word on that one though.

AU host setups also have the advantage that all of your setups will easily be recalled from project.

True, but limiting. I would use this to control non-AU apps, Gadget, Auria, Cubasis, AUM, hardware synths, other iDevices, and PC DAWs. I like it so much that I can see it becoming my main jamming and compositional tool.

I respect your view on it, but for me I hope that's not a road they try to go down.