Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best platform for distribution underground music?

edited February 2017 in Other

Best platform for distribution underground music? Anybody a hint. I was looking at SoundCloud but a sound and underground artist as Ryoji Ikeda has an average of about 300.000 views at YouTube but average at Soundcloud is about only 30 plays. Shocking difference. Other suggestions than YT and SC for distribution platforms also welcome of course.

Comments

• I've put some of my stuff on http://logamp.com/
    slightly over 1000 plays in three month (26 tracks altogether ~ http://logamp.com/jan-dark )
    if you wanna sell something, Bandcamp might be a good option https://bandcamp.com/

• I guess it depends on what the goals are. Is low SoundCloud traffic really a problem? Could it be that YouTube is the preferred platform of his fan base? 300K ain't too shabby.

Spotify is the place to be. There are hundreds of thousands of artists there I've never heard of.

I'm not sure I really understand the concept of "underground" anyway. It just seems like the cool kids way of saying "unknown."

• @telecharge said:
    I guess it depends on what the goals are. Is low SoundCloud traffic really a problem? Could it be that YouTube is the preferred platform of his fan base? 300K ain't too shabby.

Spotify is the place to be. There are hundreds of thousands of artists there I've never heard of.

I'm not sure I really understand the concept of "underground" anyway. It just seems like the cool kids way of saying "unknown."

+1 Spotify. When I'm looking for great but slightly obscure electronic stuff, typically reviewed on RA, I always check Spotify first.

• Watching the video of THE TRANSFINITE explains it. The visual component is part of the experience. I'm not sure the audio would work in isolation.

WARNING : A very small percentage of people may experience a seizure when exposed to certain visual images, including flashing lights or patterns. If you or any of your relatives have a history of seizures or epilepsy, consult a doctor before watching.

Footage from Ryoji Ikeda's mind-blowing video installation at the Park Avenue Armory. New York, NY.

• @skiphunt and @cabo thanks I'll have a look. btw do you think the platforms you advise/use will be there in the future. A long time ago I used the upcoming streaming platform blip.tv. They stopped after a year or five because they couldn't make enough money. That said, audience is of course also important if your specialized music can get you the listeners that search for your type of music I think a smaller platform tha something like big YT might just be better.

• @telecharge said:
    Watching the video of THE TRANSFINITE explains it. The visual component is part of the experience. I'm not sure the audio would work in isolation.

WARNING : A very small percentage of people may experience a seizure when exposed to certain visual images, including flashing lights or patterns. If you or any of your relatives have a history of seizures or epilepsy, consult a doctor before watching.

Footage from Ryoji Ikeda's mind-blowing video installation at the Park Avenue Armory. New York, NY.

Although some of Ikeda's mind blowing installations get loads of traffic. His audio cd's also do just much better (total understatement) on YT
    Dataplex cd YT (just audio) 300.000+ views

All albums on SoundCloud by Ikeda. None of the seperate tracks got more than 100 plays

• @telecharge said:
    I guess it depends on what the goals are. Is low SoundCloud traffic really a problem? Could it be that YouTube is the preferred platform of his fan base? 300K ain't too shabby.

I would say underground music is music that is just not mainstream. It doesn't mean that underground music is by definition hipster stuff. But I think people involved in this kind of music try diffrent thinks. It could be punk or electronic music or folk music redefined. Persoanlly I'm interested in electronic experimental stuff.

• @skiphunt said:

@telecharge said:

+1 Spotify. When I'm looking for great but slightly obscure electronic stuff, typically reviewed on RA, I always check Spotify first.

How do you get your music on Spotify? And maybe widen the discussion a bit are what are important underground music review websites.

• @mannix said:

@skiphunt said:

@telecharge said:

How do you get your music on Spotify? And maybe widen the discussion a bit are what are important underground music review websites.

Not sure which sites are more "important", but I tend to favor RA and Quietus in general. I use Spotify for discovery, then the stuff I like, I support the artists by buying their albums. I don't do much streaming. Prefer old school complete albums.

• edited February 2017

@mannix said:

@skiphunt said:

@telecharge said:

Just get on YouTube and SoundCloud and you'll get noticed, especially if you distinguish yourself as an IOS musician. YouTube has the best search functions and ratings system.

SC feels rigged with the pay for stats and get promoted BS. Their mobile apps are useless as well.

To get on Spotify or ITunes you need to pay to have a distributor.

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@mannix said:

@skiphunt said:

@telecharge said:

Just get on YouTube and SoundCloud and you'll get noticed, especially if you distinguish yourself as an IOS musician. YouTube has the best search functions and ratings system.

SC feels rigged with the pay for stats and get promoted BS. Their mobile apps are useless as well.

To get on Spotify or ITunes you need to pay to have a distributor.

Any experience with those distributors?

• @u0421793 said:
    Bucky

You may have missed your calling, Ian ... you would have been right at home with the Pythons de Monty, methinks :sunglasses:

I've hit a temporary brick wall myself regarding choice of distribution service - CD Baby? TuneCore? Elsewhere? Pros and cons abound in what appears to be a big wash.

• edited February 2017

I use CDBaby to get on all the major sites, I just trust their reporting and the process is very easy. That covers Spotify, iTunes, Amazon, etc.

For self-releases, I get FAR, FAR more people listening to my music on YouTube than all the other options combined. It's easily the most important outlet these days I feel.

• @eustressor said:
    I've hit a temporary brick wall myself regarding choice of distribution service - CD Baby? TuneCore? Elsewhere? Pros and cons abound in what appears to be a big wash.

This guy does a review of the pertinent services that might be a good place to start. It updates periodically and was last updated September 2016. Personally, I have music on Bandcamp, SoundClick and went through ReverbNation to get on iTunes. This was all done years ago and if I did it now I might choose differently, but I haven't had any real complaints.

http://aristake.com/?post=92

• This Thread's Title is so ironic it makes me wish Metallica and Lady Gaga did a song together.

• @Tarekith and @bigcatrik Thanks! Will have a look :)

@RustiK Selbsthineinlegung ;)

• Does underground still exist ?
    In the 80/90s you got a lot of underground music (trip hop, drum & bass,house,hip hop,rock) because the internet was not a big thing. Nowadays everybody can promote their own music and upload everything on the internet and you will be noticed/discovered. I'm afraid underground is something from the past.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underground_music

• @mannix said:
    Best platform for distribution underground music? Anybody a hint. I was looking at SoundCloud but a sound and underground artist as Ryoji Ikeda has an average of about 300.000 views at YouTube but average at Soundcloud is about only 30 plays. Shocking difference. Other suggestions than YT and SC for distribution platforms also welcome of course.

Soundcloud's play counter is either rigged or broken. I've tested it on a few occasions- getting a range people to listen to a new track and then seeing the plays haven't been recorded. And if I play my own tracks the counter doesn't budge, despite using different IP's.

• @Proto said:
    Does underground still exist ?
    In the 80/90s you got a lot of underground music (trip hop, drum & bass,house,hip hop,rock) because the internet was not a big thing. Nowadays everybody can promote their own music and upload everything on the internet and you will be noticed/discovered. I'm afraid underground is something from the past.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underground_music

THx! Interesting read. Makes me aware that I was not specific enough, and underground was too general. What I meant was suggestions for alternative platforms for experimental electronic music.
    btw Although I agree with that free distribution through the internet of music is a common dominator, I still believe that this didn't cause underground music too exist. There's still tons of music made by ever emerging subcultures that are probably not so easy to find and afre not avaiable through platformas as YT and SC. I understand that both platforms easy take down music (weird mixes for example) that is claimed to be copyrighted. Also Google seems easy when I comes to get things out of their search engine when people claim copyright infringement.

• edited February 2017

@bigcatrik said:

@eustressor said:

This guy does a review of the pertinent services that might be a good place to start. It updates periodically and was last updated September 2016. Personally, I have music on Bandcamp, SoundClick and went through ReverbNation to get on iTunes. This was all done years ago and if I did it now I might choose differently, but I haven't had any real complaints.

http://aristake.com/?post=92

Thank you for the pointer! :smile:

EDIT: Oh, this is GOOD stuff - just what the doctor ordered :+1:

• I use to find music on melotronica
    Sometimes I download songs for my CDs I like to listen in my car. Sometimes I find there some underground music but in the most cases it can be find on forums where people upload their personal music and some can be really considered great.

• @mannix said:

@skiphunt said:

@telecharge said:

I think your tracks have to be signed to a label? Some of my stuff is on Spotify (including iTunes/Beatport/Amazon & Traxsource), but they are signed to a record label.

• Still quite new to BootCamp, but have been pleased so far. Two albums and Xmas single, all easy to upload nice quality and input relevant details, etc.

• edited December 2018

:o