Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Underworld Master Class (OT)

Probably because "Trainspotting 2" is coming out soon, I was drawn to play Underworld. The first song on "Second Toughest in the Infants" is Juanita/Kiteless/To Dream of Love." It's a little long-winded, but the first section is just the most masterful display of a track using the entire frequency spectrum. As the parts accrete, new melodies and percussion arrive, and there's plenty of room for each, amazingly. It's like some endlessly expanding geometric pattern.

And for those who know: How is that bass sound achieved in the first part of the song? I can listen to a guitar or a bass and know from experience how the sound was made — oh, yeah, they compressed the shit out of the DI signal and also recorded off-center on probably an Ampeg B15 (which is mostly bluffing, because that's what EVERYBODY does). But what makes that bass sound? Is it the envelope? Is it the EQ? Is it a certain synth? I'm getting better, but I've got a long way to go.

Comments