Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Scales-Arpeggios-TimeSignatures

Anyone knows of any software (iOS / PC) that could generate - arpeggios/loops/grooves based on following configurations
1. Scale
2. keys/notes
3. time signature
4. BPM

example would be - i pick waltz time signature on C major scale.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• I have never had the need for that, so can't say I know from experience, but have you tried Kirnu Cream Mobile (http://apple.co/2kz5pQd) or Dhalang (http://apple.co/2kyV9aA)?

Both should be good at scales and arpeggios etc.
    Dhalang exists in a "light" version so you can try it out before purchasing the full version. In "light" you can't save.

PS. I notice that both apps I'm suggesting are made by Finnish developers. :)

• @ipadmussic said:
    Anyone knows of any software (iOS / PC) that could generate - arpeggios/loops/grooves based on following configurations
    1. Scale
    2. keys/notes
    3. time signature
    4. BPM

Thanks for any help.

I'm almost certainly hopelessly biased.

With that disclaimer out of the way, I find myself thinking that after all that musical eddication stuffed into me for so long, if it were all as easy as picking some apps/settings/clicktaps, then EVERYbody would be making amazing extra awesome music.

Given that this is not actually happening, depending on how much you want to get this done, I'm thinking that maybe you might want to consider learning how to do it yourself?

I'm sure lots of people here would join me in helping you figure this all out. :)

• Thanks @hellquist for the suggestions, i will check them out. I knew there won't be an app with all features i asked for, I guess it was too much to ask for :-)

@decibelle , yes i wish i could learn all this some day, but I have a lot of limitations that stand in the way.

This is what i do have - my passion towards music...that urge to compose music in the style i like...this has been alive from my high school days till now (early 40's), but i find the intensity is diminishing as I age and also my creative abilities.

Before i burn out of my fuel(creative), i wish i can compose / produce one track, that i can go back and listen to and be proud of :smile: iOS music gods!! please have mercy on me....

• I would stay away from Kirnu Cream. Don't think you want to wade into those waters just yet. Chordbot sounds like it's right up your alley, though.

The app is well due for an update (in fact, it's 32 bit only, so buyer beware—sent the dev a note just now), but there is a free version you can try out. It's very intuitive, and you'll be making a decent sounding in minutes. You can then export MIDI into another app for refinement.

Another one to look at would be YouCompose. It has some AI built in, so you write a snippet for one instrument, then it extrapolates that into a full ensemble. It is deeper than Chordbot, but might be more of what you're looking for in regards to generation.

• @ipadmussic said:
    Thanks @hellquist for the suggestions, i will check them out. I knew there won't be an app with all features i asked for, I guess it was too much to ask for :-)

@decibelle , yes i wish i could learn all this some day, but I have a lot of limitations that stand in the way.

This is what i do have - my passion towards music...that urge to compose music in the style i like...this has been alive from my high school days till now (early 40's), but i find the intensity is diminishing as I age and also my creative abilities.

Before i burn out of my fuel(creative), i wish i can compose / produce one track, that i can go back and listen to and be proud of :smile: iOS music gods!! please have mercy on me....

In my experience the only brick wall stopping creativity completely is the creator's own willingness to create (aside from stuff like Death, I mean), in general I find that the only power that limitations can have is to make creating take longer.

I guess you'll need to choose which you prioritise more, using reasons to justify doing less, or finding what is possible and using that to do more.

You may be happy to know that unlike energy, creativity never runs out. :)

Nevertheless, I do wish you all the luck finding the app you're looking for. Wouldn't it be awesome if creating awesomeness were so easy! I really would like to think it's possible.

• @aaronpc said:
    I would stay away from Kirnu Cream. Don't think you want to wade into those waters just yet. Chordbot sounds like it's right up your alley, though.

The app is well due for an update (in fact, it's 32 bit only, so buyer beware—sent the dev a note just now), but there is a free version you can try out. It's very intuitive, and you'll be making a decent sounding in minutes. You can then export MIDI into another app for refinement.

Another one to look at would be YouCompose. It has some AI built in, so you write a snippet for one instrument, then it extrapolates that into a full ensemble. It is deeper than Chordbot, but might be more of what you're looking for in regards to generation.

Any reason to avoid Kirnu Cream?
    I know of good arp sequencers like Arpeggionome Pro, StepPolyArp etc but does anyone know if time signature can be configured.
    I know in some metronome apps we can chose times signatures, but they only provide usual click sounds for the rhythm. I want the the rhythm (based on time signature) to be played in arpeggio using virtual midi instruments or at least using a pitched instrument.
    YouCompose is to harmonize a melody line. I am trying to do the reverse, I want to create melodies from harmony.
    Thanks for your inputs @aaronpc

• @decibelle said:

@ipadmussic said:
    Thanks @hellquist for the suggestions, i will check them out. I knew there won't be an app with all features i asked for, I guess it was too much to ask for :-)

In my experience the only brick wall stopping creativity completely is the creator's own willingness to create (aside from stuff like Death, I mean), in general I find that the only power that limitations can have is to make creating take longer.

I guess you'll need to choose which you prioritise more, using reasons to justify doing less, or finding what is possible and using that to do more.

Nevertheless, I do wish you all the luck finding the app you're looking for. Wouldn't it be awesome if creating awesomeness were so easy! I really would like to think it's possible.

Well, I will agree with whatever you said except for the point on creativity. At least for me i "know" it has started to diminish, but thanks for the inspiration :smile:

I will have to think about learning swift/objective-C for ios to create my own app, if nothing works out.

• @ipadmussic said:
    1. Scale
    2. keys/notes
    3. time signature
    4. BPM

Thanks for any help.

I'd like to know this as well, please let us know if you find anything good

• @ipadmussic said:
    Any reason to avoid Kirnu Cream?

I have it, and like it a lot, but it gets a lot of grief on the forum for its complexity and UI. If you're new to all this, then it's probably best to find a simpler solution for now.

• @ipadmussic said:

@decibelle said:

@ipadmussic said:

Well, I will agree with whatever you said except for the point on creativity. At least for me i "know" it has started to diminish, but thanks for the inspiration :smile:

I will have to think about learning swift/objective-C for ios to create my own app, if nothing works out.

Sure, like many things creativity doesn't flow according to clockwork, it ebbs and flows in cycles. In my case it's generally more ebb than flow, but the flows can be pretty intense, if brief, til the next one. And no matter how much I think another flow will never come, it always has so far, every time, and I'm in my 50's.

Sometimes flows can be well underway before I even notice them, those dam flows can be pretty sneaky. It's annoying, but like so many annoyances ... inevitable.

All ebbs end in a flow, please keep your hope up.

If you do create an app, I'll buy it. :)

• I'm on the point of turning 60, and the last five years have been by far the most creative in my life. I have also learned more about music and composition, moved my ear and my knowledge of theory light years ahead of where they were. And all the work I have done on that, the practice time, the exams for the Conservatory Canada syllabus, and the lessons I have been taking from a composition teacher since the last fall, have me poised on the edge of the world I have dreamed about since I picked up a guitar when I was 13. I finally got the willpower to do it. It's been a great ride, and right now, I feel like I'm at the apex of the hill, the rush down is coming. All I want to do is retire, and have more time to do it in.

• @rickwaugh said:
    I'm on the point of turning 60, and the last five years have been by far the most creative in my life. I have also learned more about music and composition, moved my ear and my knowledge of theory light years ahead of where they were. And all the work I have done on that, the practice time, the exams for the Conservatory Canada syllabus, and the lessons I have been taking from a composition teacher since the last fall, have me poised on the edge of the world I have dreamed about since I picked up a guitar when I was 13. I finally got the willpower to do it. It's been a great ride, and right now, I feel like I'm at the apex of the hill, the rush down is coming. All I want to do is retire, and have more time to do it in.

Omg that's awesome, well done, congratulations! :) :) :)

If you ever have any questions about any particular harmonic/melodic/rhythmical quandary, I'm happy to pitch in and help.

• @decibelle said:

@ipadmussic said:

@decibelle said:

@ipadmussic said:

Sure, like many things creativity doesn't flow according to clockwork, it ebbs and flows in cycles. In my case it's generally more ebb than flow, but the flows can be pretty intense, if brief, til the next one. And no matter how much I think another flow will never come, it always has so far, every time, and I'm in my 50's.

Sometimes flows can be well underway before I even notice them, those dam flows can be pretty sneaky. It's annoying, but like so many annoyances ... inevitable.

All ebbs end in a flow, please keep your hope up.

If you do create an app, I'll buy it. :)

I have observed this too..creative cycles. Also different environments can affect creativity. I have observed works of musicians during their prime time to be more creative and outstanding..

• @rickwaugh said:
    I'm on the point of turning 60, and the last five years have been by far the most creative in my life. I have also learned more about music and composition, moved my ear and my knowledge of theory light years ahead of where they were. And all the work I have done on that, the practice time, the exams for the Conservatory Canada syllabus, and the lessons I have been taking from a composition teacher since the last fall, have me poised on the edge of the world I have dreamed about since I picked up a guitar when I was 13. I finally got the willpower to do it. It's been a great ride, and right now, I feel like I'm at the apex of the hill, the rush down is coming. All I want to do is retire, and have more time to do it in.

Great. glad you are able to pursue your passion and fulfill your wishes.

To give a different viewpoint, everything is working out now, as you have learned a lot and gained new wisdom, imagine if you had this same knowledge while you were young, your creative output would have been different.

I feel, what you create without any prior knowledge, just by observing your environment is real creativity.
    After we learn new things our creativity is always heavily influenced by it - this may be a good thing or bad thing.

• @ipadmussic said:

@rickwaugh said:

To give a different viewpoint, everything is working out now, as you have learned a lot and gained new wisdom, imagine if you had this same knowledge while you were young, your creative output would have been different.

I feel, what you create without any prior knowledge, just by observing your environment is real creativity.
    After we learn new things our creativity is always heavily influenced by it - this may be a good thing or bad thing.

I agree. But, I believe that can happen at any age. It's the coming into knowledge fresh that sets you off, I don't believe it's the being young part. It may help that you haven't fallen on your face as much less, and so are less concerned about failure. But really, it's easier when you're older, as you're not still dreaming about making a living at it. And when I was 19 and playing as a professional musician, I was more interested in partying and chasing girls then I was at being creative.

• @decibelle said:

@rickwaugh said:

If you ever have any questions about any particular harmonic/melodic/rhythmical quandary, I'm happy to pitch in and help.

Well, thanks kindly. I will. Right now I have so much input, I'm trying to digest it all. Having finally found a great teacher, the right teacher, was a wonderful thing.

• The bad news is that your brain, like the rest of you, changes throughout your life (shrinks, mostly), and its ability to make unexpected decisions and associations diminishes, beginning at about 40.

The good news is that the above bad news is lessened by working at creativity and keeping those synapses active. Since we're all on this forum, I think we'll be okay.

• @ipadmussic said:

@rickwaugh said:

Regarding certain areas of creative knowledge, I have heard many people sing the praises of creating from a position of lesser knowledge, but the only ones I've heard this from were themselves in positions of lesser knowledge.

From those who started with less knowledge and then had more, every one of those I have encountered has felt that this line of thinking was in error.

I have never met any (what I would regard as) fabulously creative communicators, for example, who were hardly able to speak the language they wanted to communicate in.

I can understand wanting to feel better about knowing less by awarding it certain (mythical) advantages over knowing more, and I wish it could be true, I do. My experience, though, has always contradicted that.

@rickwaugh said:

@decibelle said:

@rickwaugh said:

Well, thanks kindly. I will. Right now I have so much input, I'm trying to digest it all. Having finally found a great teacher, the right teacher, was a wonderful thing.

Oh, so so so so SO utterly true. The truest. Frustratingly, marvellously true. I'm really happy for you.

:)

• :smile:
    And I have had little bursts of learning throughout 40+ years of playing music. Chunks of theory here, exposure to new thoughts there. Every piece has been grist for the mill. It just all goes in and swirls around - the latest piece I'm working on came from messing with the harmonic minor scale. The issue is around what you do with it. It just makes you think in different ways, or, at least, it should.

• @rickwaugh said:
    :smile:
    And I have had little bursts of learning throughout 40+ years of playing music. Chunks of theory here, exposure to new thoughts there. Every piece has been grist for the mill. It just all goes in and swirls around - the latest piece I'm working on came from messing with the harmonic minor scale. The issue is around what you do with it. It just makes you think in different ways, or, at least, it should.

Well it certainly cAn. :)

For me it was more of a package of processes coming together, not only thinking, also about hearing differently, listening differently, remembering sounds/music and experimenting silently inside my head differently, hearing new stuff growing out of old stuff inside my head and finding new ways to make that come alive outside my head so others could hear it too, it felt like some wheels clicking into place and having categories of audio things suddenly make more sense together, finding myself beginning to categorise different things differently & process them internally differently,, for me it felt/feels kind of like that.

Longest.

Sentence.

Ever.

• find anything good yet?

• @ipadmusic
    Gestrument can do a lot of things you describe in the first post. You can set notes, scales, rhythms and you can even let it sound like an ARP. Gestrument also supports soundfonts and midi out (8 channels). Great app and using it a lot to stay in scale with my projects and controlling other instruments.
    Not sure if this is what your looking for, but I think it's the closest to meet your needs. :)

• @kobamoto , @Proto

I saw a video of - Zyklus Improvisor, real-time harmonic sequencer (PC world). This looks excellent.
    http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=280406

From what i saw there is an option to change time signatures. This is the most important aspect for me. It also can harmonize / arpeggiate on the fly.

In iOS - from my research only ones where we can configure time signatures are theses -
    Chordbot - cannot configure scales, but i can change keys and chords and arp patterns available. Very close to what i look
    YouCompose - some time signatures available to configure
    metronome apps - lots of options to configure time signatures, but sounds are only percussion and no scales/arp patterns.
    Cream, StepPolyArp - i need to do some research here.

I will check out Gestrument. Thanks.