Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Auria Pro v2.09 Approved WITH FabFilter Pro-R Reverb IAP!

1235»

Comments

• edited February 2017

@Cliffy said:
    I have been eagerly anticipating Pro-R's release, yet for some reason I'm hesitating. What I need, I believe, is someone to convince me that my Air 2 won't catch fire if I'm running a modest sized (less than 10 track) project with a few other Fabs running', in addition to Pro-R. I am willing to freeze or bounce as needed, so perhaps I've already convinced myself.

With that willingness to freeze/bounce, or by mixing at 4096, then yes, you sold yourself.

• @richardyot said:
    So here are some tests and comparisons, using a very simple piano and drum phrase and medium to large spaces selected from Presets of the 3 reverbs:

Dry Phrase

Pro R Default Setting

Pro R Piano Room Large

Pro R Concert Hall Vienna

Virsyn AudioReverb Acoustic Hall

Virsyn AudioReverb Ballad Hall

DDMF Envelope Concert Hall

DDMF Envelope Piano Hall 1

A couple of notes: the interactive EQ curves allow for some very precise fine-tuning of the Reverb sound, and are much more intuitive to use than the myriad of dials that one finds on the typical reverb UI. You can also do some pretty nifty sound design and create weird artificial reverbs such as this one:

Which sounds like this:

Pro R Scooped Sparkly Space

All in all this is a pretty unique and powerful reverb IMO.

Listening through those the Fabfilter is better quality - smoother, richer, but the Virsyn reverb sounded more authentic. It was the one that made me feel like I was in a real hall.

• edited February 2017

I have to say that I've not been able to find a reverb in Auria that I love on acoustic drum tracks. The search is over. Pro-R has so many intuitive ways to get the sound I'm looking for. The presets are very good for getting you in the neighborhood and then tweak away. The possibilities seem endless. I'm a happy customer.

• Do most of you guys add reverb to the kick drum?

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Do most of you guys add reverb to the kick drum?

No to the kick drum track, but often to the drum bus with the whole kit. Adding reverb to a kick drum track is likely to make it sound muddy.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:

NO! I hate reverb on a kick

• But like @richardyot said, on the whole kit will affect the kick eventually. I guess, what matters that at the tracking stage, never add reverb to the bass drum, although eventually it will get reverb once the entire mix gets the master reverb right?

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    But like @richardyot said, on the whole kit will affect the kick eventually. I guess, what matters that at the tracking stage, never add reverb to the bass drum, although eventually it will get reverb once the entire mix gets the master reverb right?

I think I'm considered to be pretty reverb-mad and yet even I wouldn't add reverb to the mix bus. I think reverb should be added to those sounds that really benefit from it: snare, vocals, guitars, synths (sometimes), but not to everything. Adding it to the whole mix is going to blur and muddy everything.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:

I usually send a minimal amount of the kick to reverb, just to get it in the same space. But very little.

• I almost never put reverb on the master. I put it on a send track and then use individual send levels to control which instruments get reverb and how much. I don't like to use reverb on kicks and bass, though there can be exceptions to everything.

On top of that, sometimes will add an additional reverb on individual tracks such as a snare drum if I feel like I need to.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:

I've experimented with it on a dark acoustic guitar track where the kick is the only drum sound. It didn't work the way I imagined, but I didn't have Pro-R yet.

As everyone else has said, reverb on the kick with a full kit generally sounds bad. Never say "never".

• @wim said:
    I almost never put reverb on the master. I put it on a send track and then use individual send levels to control which instruments get reverb and how much. I don't like to use reverb on kicks and bass, though there can be exceptions to everything.

On top of that, sometimes will add an additional reverb on individual tracks such as a snare drum if I feel like I need to.

Exactly. What makes Pro-R so cool is it's so good if used correctly it won't POP out and say "Lookie me, REVERB!!!"

Reverb is like shading and shadows on 2D paintings & drawings. It's to aid in making the source sound more alive and real with ambience like in the real world. Of course there's creative reverb, and crazy effects mod reverbs for more aggressive soundscapes and unique spatial effects, but when I think of reverb it's a subtle tool to bring vocals, guitars, keys, and yes drums too, to a more realistic place in the mix.

Kick reverb is totally song dependent as it can sound okay in sparse arrangements but really cloud up a mix quick if left on busy bass drum grooves.

• Wow so much amazing knowledge here thanks all!

• Yes I'd also never use reverb on the master. I set it up the same in Auria, AUM and Live, using return tracks for reverb, delay, saturation and compression.

• @MonzoPro said:

@richardyot said:
    So here are some tests and comparisons, using a very simple piano and drum phrase and medium to large spaces selected from Presets of the 3 reverbs:

Dry Phrase

Pro R Default Setting

Pro R Piano Room Large

A couple of notes: the interactive EQ curves allow for some very precise fine-tuning of the Reverb sound, and are much more intuitive to use than the myriad of dials that one finds on the typical reverb UI. You can also do some pretty nifty sound design and create weird artificial reverbs such as this one:

Which sounds like this:

Listening through those the Fabfilter is better quality - smoother, richer, but the Virsyn reverb sounded more authentic. It was the one that made me feel like I was in a real hall.

The Pro-R sounds nice and I've become a big fan of Fab stuff over the last few months, but I only play with this stuff and $40 is hard to cough up right now. Actually, I'd likely get more use and benefit from Pro-L for my needs.

I've been happy with RF-1, also AU3 with link, etc. But I don't have much to compare it to. Anyone have both the Virsyn & RF-1 apps?

• @skiphunt
    I've been happy with RF-1, also AU3 with link, etc. But I don't have much to compare it to. Anyone have both the Virsyn & RF-1 apps?

Upthread, no?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@skiphunt

Upthread, no?

Don't understand the term "upthread". This thread has been comparing Pro-R to various other options. Some expressed a preference of the Virsyn AudioReverb option, partly based on sound and partly based on cost. Was curious how RF-1 might stack up in these A/B comparisons.

• When it comes to knowing my way around all the music related apps I've purchased, I'm nowhere near where I'd like to be. I'm been more of a buy, check out the presets and move on if I don't think it sounds as good as I had hoped. It gets pretty expensive but admittedly, that's what I do. I bought Pro-R a couple days ago and it feels like I found my new best friend. I had never really been able to achieve a setup in my studio in which I found my miked acoustic guitar sounded the way I like it. It sure wasn't because of deficiencies in my equipment, but more due to my lack of spending time to learn how to properly use the great stuff I already have.
    I feel that purchasing Pro-R could be either the best thing or the worst thing I could have done. Best because I've already found a bunch of presets that just sound great. Worst because it'll keep that complacency I've mired myself in about learning the apps that I already have. Oh, well. Right now the best thing is outweighing the worst thing.

• edited February 2017

@skiphunt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@richardyot said:

Dry Phrase

Pro R Default Setting

Pro R Piano Room Large

Which sounds like this:

The Pro-R sounds nice and I've become a big fan of Fab stuff over the last few months, but I only play with this stuff and $40 is hard to cough up right now. Actually, I'd likely get more use and benefit from Pro-L for my needs.

It's not for me - my noise doesn't warrant a £40 spend for one fx. I've got a ton of them already, plus the ones built into my apps. If I was a pro I reckon I'd kit myself out with all the Fabfilter stuff though.

Edit - just seen the redskylullaby demo vid. That reverb is hotter than I thought - maybe in the next sale....

• @MonzoPro said:

@skiphunt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@richardyot said:

Dry Phrase

Pro R Default Setting

Pro R Piano Room Large

Which sounds like this:

It's not for me - my noise doesn't warrant a £40 spend for one fx. I've got a ton of them already, plus the ones built into my apps. If I was a pro I reckon I'd kit myself out with all the Fabfilter stuff though.

The reports and demos so far are very enticing, but I think for my twiddling, I'll put this one on the wishlist and hope for a sale somewhere down the trail. Will nab Pro-L then too. Kicking myself for not nabbing it in the last sale.

Just had a refresher play with RF-1 and I think it'll hold me over for a good while. Still intrigued about the Virsyn option since it seems to stack up favorably.

• Just spent the afternoon using Pro R in earnest and it's better than I thought, because you have such fine-grained control over the tone you can really bring out the most pleasing timbres in vocals and instruments and emphasise them with the reverb, which really adds another dimension to a mix.

• edited February 2017

@richardyot said:
    Just spent the afternoon using Pro R in earnest and it's better than I thought, because you have such fine-grained control over the tone you can really bring out the most pleasing timbres in vocals and instruments and emphasise them with the reverb, which really adds another dimension to a mix.

I think the reverb description is a bit misleading as it's more than that. Listening just now to redsky's video demo, it's more of a sound sculpting ambience tool. A bit like thinking of Timeless 2 as just a delay.

To my ears, your demo of the Virsyn app sounded more authentic as a representation of the sound of say, a piano in a church hall, more the traditional reverb effect I'd expect.

The Fabfilter plugin appears to go beyond this, and for that reason is of more interest to me as a soundscape creator, though I'd need to hear more and wait for a decent sale before considering a purchase.

• I am loving its light touch. And, as opposed to some of the other plugins, the visual ability to tweak is excellent.

• @richardyot said:
    Just spent the afternoon using Pro R in earnest and it's better than I thought, because you have such fine-grained control over the tone you can really bring out the most pleasing timbres in vocals and instruments and emphasise them with the reverb, which really adds another dimension to a mix.

I know you're the very model of a modern Major-General, but you might consider production work in your spare time....

• @MonzoPro said:

@richardyot said:

I think the reverb description is a bit misleading as it's more than that. Listening just now to redsky's video demo, it's more of a sound sculpting ambience tool. A bit like thinking of Timeless 2 as just a delay.

To my ears, your demo of the Virsyn app sounded more authentic as a representation of the sound of say, a piano in a church hall, more the traditional reverb effect I'd expect.

The Fabfilter plugin appears to go beyond this, and for that reason is of more interest to me as a soundscape creator, though I'd need to hear more and wait for a decent sale before considering a purchase.

@MonzoPro - the next sale may be at least ten month away...

$40 may be much for a reverb plugin to iOS, but, this is not an ordinary reverb, it's the best, world class!

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@MonzoPro said:

@richardyot said:

@MonzoPro - the next sale may be at least ten month away...

$40 may be much for a reverb plugin to iOS, but, this is not an ordinary reverb, it's the best, world class!

Yeah, unfortunately my music making isn't ;)

• Can somebody tell me how to adjust the q on the eq bands? I was doing it, then all of a sudden I wasn't and couldn't.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Can somebody tell me how to adjust the q on the eq bands? I was doing it, then all of a sudden I wasn't and couldn't.

I posted this one earlier, on page 2, but here it is again, with thanks to @MusicInclusive:

Double-tap on a point to adjust the Q curve

Alternatively (this might even be a bit easier) use one finger to hold the point, then place two other fingers down on the screen somewhere else, and with the first finger on the point adjust the curve.