Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

midiSTEPs update incoming!

Not yet in the app store but I can already smell it in the air...

Comments

• Does it smell of Link? :)

• Spill it.

• yes

midiSTEPs v1.5: Ableton Link, AU effects, indiv audio outs, step triggers, more probability, share sets, bluetooth MIDI, and more. Tonight!

— Art Kerns (@artkerns) February 8, 2017
  • wow that'll do it :)

• step triggers!!

• Nice! Downloading...

• Art, I love you.

From https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midisteps-midi-step-sequencer/id1001532047?mt=8

What's New in Version 1.5.0

• iOS 10 update
    • Added Ableton Link support
    • Added AU effects support
    • Added multiple audio outs via AB or IAA
    • Added email/airdrop set sharing
    • Added Bluetooth MIDI support
    • Added MIDI program change support
    • Added AU/CC parameter lock midi map
    • Added ability to trigger steps with midi note or other notes from other part
    • Added more per step probability options: skip, tie, accent, reset
    • Changed randomize pattern to use only visible keys for better results
    • Bug fixes and minor improvements
  • I'd pay for it again if I could!

• That is wet-my-pants-a-little-awesome!
    Now my hopes for getting Link in midiLFOs went up a bit as well!

• The probability stuff is at the bottom with velocity, step length, etc. Not sure if this a 'bug' per se, but when you select the probability target, the slider defaults to 64 but it's really set to 0. If you don't move it, it remains 0 (but looks like 64).

I can't believe how well step triggers work. Totally smitten.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sqeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaal! :)

• I was just thinking about Link in this!!

• This is huge.

• I have been eying on this for a while, but it lacked these things that came with this update. Pretty sold on it now, but this will have to wait till tomorrow or maybe later

• Cool, think this will be my 2nd app purchase this year, looking forward to this one.

• Beautiful.

• must admit that I never used midiSTEPS, but this update will certainly change a few things.

• edited February 2017

Just lost 90 minutes playing with step triggers. Effing magic!

Would really like midi input per sequencer one day. And/or fixed note step trig input. Could then use another sequencer to step trig some tracks or use a single sequence with multiple notes to step two+ different tracks or use a drum machine with midi out to make 4 tracks of step trigger madness. I'd lose a week when the 4 channel version of midiSequencer lands!

• @syrupcore said:
    Just lost 90 minutes playing with step triggers. Effing magic!

Would really like midi input per sequencer one day. And/or fixed note step trig input. Could then use another sequencer to step trig some tracks or use a single sequence with multiple notes to step two+ different tracks or use a drum machine with midi out to make 4 tracks of step trigger madness. I'd lose a week when the 4 channel version of midiSequencer lands!

its 24 track really ... :)

• @syrupcore said:

step triggers!!

how do you use them exactly ? D= I'm so clueless right now.....

• edited February 2017

Wow...Just to make things clear,
    1.can you launch individually stop/start by midi each pattern ?
    2.Assign some sort of grid for each pattern by midi ?
    3.Is it thru midi learn or is it fixed ?
    4.Can you assign speed, and length of the notes by midi ?
    5.Can you send program change on each pattern ? (to load the sound you want from the other app that produce the sound)
    6.Are the midi channels fixed for each pattern, or is it global ? Can yo change it thru midi also ??
    7.Can you change the scale + mode by midi ???
    8.No swing knob ?

• This update looks killer!

Thanks Art!

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@syrupcore said:

step triggers!!

On my phone at the moment but I'll give it a shot.

1. Setup track one to play a sequence pointed at some sound maker (internal, whatever). It's probably simplest to see how triggers work if you make simple 4 note sequence like C,D,E,F. For emphasis, make one of the notes an octave or two above or below the other three.
    2. Listen to it. Should be a simple 16th note sequence. The note with the odd octave sounds like the emphasis note.
    3. Go to track setting and tap on input (I think, one of the last items)
    4. Set it to 'step' on the lower left. Again, I think. One is clock something or other. Pick the other.
    5. To the right of that you select the step trigger source. Select another midisteps track (they go by color).
    6. Go to the track you selected as the trigger and make a new sequence. For illustrative purposes, make a 5 note sequence: note, rest, rest, note, rest. which notes you enter does not matter (can all be the same note). Only thing that matters is the rhythm of the notes and rests.
    7. Hit play. The track one sequence should now be triggering a note each time a note from track 2 is triggered. Since the two sequences are of different lengths, the pattern of just four notes should take a while to resolve the same way.
    8. Now make a few different sequences on track 2. Go to the mix tab and play with changing the pattern and you can come up with all sorts of rhythmic variations of the original, very simple four note sequence. You probably want to make the track change patterns immediately instead of waiting. Can't remember the setting name.
    9. Make sequence 1 a more interesting collection of notes, introduce step and reset probability to the notes of one or both sequences, set sequence 1 to transpose (or make a few transposed pattern copies so you can stay within the mix screen) and... 90 minutes, gone!

Two other simple experiments:

1. Try it with a two note bass sequence. Even just an octave jump. Add a solid drum beat of some sort. Now set up a couple of trigger patterns to move your bass line around.
    2. Really 1a: make it a three note bass line with c1, C2 and some third note that makes you happy. On the C2 step, set the restart probability (can't remember the exact name) to ~85%. Now as you trigger it, it will mostly be the two note bassline but the third note will occasionally slip in and since the rhythm is coming from elsewhere, the feel will shift at that point.
    3. Setup an arpeggio on track one and set up the trigger track with 4 seqs like n,r,n,r; n,r,r,n... now as you switch the trig patterns, the arp should shift in time. If they're different lengths, more shifty. Another sort of 'classic?' use for this would be to set up 4 trig patterns that worked out to be 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 and 1/16 in time. Now you can hop between those patterns to get different arp speeds.

Again, on my phone so apologies for typos and flat out lies. :)

• @syrupcore said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@syrupcore said:

step triggers!!

On my phone at the moment but I'll give it a shot.

1. Setup track one to play a sequence pointed at some sound maker (internal, whatever). It's probably simplest to see how triggers work if you make simple 4 note sequence like C,D,E,F. For emphasis, make one of the notes an octave or two above or below the other three.
    2. Listen to it. Should be a simple 16th note sequence. The note with the odd octave sounds like the emphasis note.
    3. Go to track setting and tap on input (I think, one of the last items)
    4. Set it to 'step' on the lower left. Again, I think. One is clock something or other. Pick the other.
    5. To the right of that you select the step trigger source. Select another midisteps track (they go by color).
    6. Go to the track you selected as the trigger and make a new sequence. For illustrative purposes, make a 5 note sequence: note, rest, rest, note, rest. which notes you enter does not matter (can all be the same note). Only thing that matters is the rhythm of the notes and rests.
    7. Hit play. The track one sequence should now be triggering a note each time a note from track 2 is triggered. Since the two sequences are of different lengths, the pattern of just four notes should take a while to resolve the same way.
    8. Now make a few different sequences on track 2. Go to the mix tab and play with changing the pattern and you can come up with all sorts of rhythmic variations of the original, very simple four note sequence. You probably want to make the track change patterns immediately instead of waiting. Can't remember the setting name.
    9. Make sequence 1 a more interesting collection of notes, introduce step and reset probability to the notes of one or both sequences, set sequence 1 to transpose (or make a few transposed pattern copies so you can stay within the mix screen) and... 90 minutes, gone!

Two other simple experiments:

1. Try it with a two note bass sequence. Even just an octave jump. Add a solid drum beat of some sort. Now set up a couple of trigger patterns to move your bass line around.
    2. Really 1a: make it a three note bass line with c1, C2 and some third note that makes you happy. On the C2 step, set the restart probability (can't remember the exact name) to ~85%. Now as you trigger it, it will mostly be the two note bassline but the third note will occasionally slip in and since the rhythm is coming from elsewhere, the feel will shift at that point.
    3. Setup an arpeggio on track one and set up the trigger track with 4 seqs like n,r,n,r; n,r,r,n... now as you switch the trig patterns, the arp should shift in time. If they're different lengths, more shifty. Another sort of 'classic?' use for this would be to set up 4 trig patterns that worked out to be 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 and 1/16 in time. Now you can hop between those patterns to get different arp speeds.

Again, on my phone so apologies for typos and flat out lies. :)

oh my god. this is basically Thesys's note step. i frikking love this update. thanks so much :D

• ...and in the "awesome replies" notes, another checkmark next to @syrupcore. Thanks! I was happy with this update, mainly due to link, but now you have planted seeds of usage that will be used all over the place for me. :)