Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sequencer to control multiple hardware synths

I'm looking for a iOS sequencer that can run at least two separate sequences for two separate synths for live performance. I am routing my iPad through an iConnectivity midi 2 to two outboard synths and I want to be able to control them both through one app. I would prefer if the app was more performance-oriented than DAW-oriented (if that makes sense) but I'm open to anything. Thanks!

Comments

• edited February 2017

Modstep and genome are my favourites. Modstep offers a bit more(like AU hosting, sampler etc) and has similar thing to abletons session view, but lacks for example a proper undo button(you need to go back on autosaves in order to undo, which is a bit of a hassle). Genome is more like straight sequencer that does a bit better on what it does.

There are bunch of others as well, but they are bit more simple

• Thank you! I was going to check out genome, but I wanted to make sure it could run multiple sequences first, and I couldn't find the info anywhere.

Any experience with xynthesizr? Does it do multiple sequences?

• No. Xynthesizr is one only but pretty cool

• @ToMess said:
    Modstep and genome are my favourites. Modstep offers a bit more(like AU hosting, sampler etc) and has similar thing to abletons session view, but lacks for example a proper undo button(you need to go back on autosaves in order to undo, which is a bit of a hassle). Genome is more like straight sequencer that does a bit better on what it does.

There are bunch of others as well, but they are bit more simple

@auxoct said:
    Thank you! I was going to check out genome, but I wanted to make sure it could run multiple sequences first, and I couldn't find the info anywhere.

Any experience with xynthesizr? Does it do multiple sequences?

If you have no interest in running ios sounds or instruments then Genome by far.

What about Infinite?

• Auxy. the original version. But it's been abandoned infavor of the newer one. It's abit limited only 4bars per track but should do wat u are wanting. It's working on my iPad Air 2 on iOS 10 think it's free aswell

• Took me a while to get over the modstep hump (I'm still on it, really) but I find modstep less fiddly than genome. Both will do what you're after, I think.

What is it about a DAW style sequencer you don't want? How long are the sequences you're talking about? Like a set of two track linear songs? Bunch of shorter sequences you want to bring in and out?

• Well, at least nobody's mentioned Sunvox yet.

• Must mention that both Modstep and Infinite Looper can't be used to record and loop on the fly external synths using the synth's keyboard . For playing a prerecorded sequence or recording using the app's keyboard (and not from the external synth) both apps are great, each one having advantages:
    -Simplicity and customizing for InfLooper
    -More depth and advanced features for Modstep.

• edited February 2017

Modstep, because of his midi staility.
    Genome is far more user friendly, but it does not stay on tempo...
    I'm going to test again, but all the time I tried, there was absolutely no groove at all.
    Untill now, I could never find a way to adjust the latency.
    I'd love to be proven I'm wrong...

• @syrupcore said:
    Took me a while to get over the modstep hump (I'm still on it, really) but I find modstep less fiddly than genome. Both will do what you're after, I think.

What is it about a DAW style sequencer you don't want? How long are the sequences you're talking about? Like a set of two track linear songs? Bunch of shorter sequences you want to bring in and out?

It's not that I'm opposed to a DAW style sequencer, but it would be nice to have something that is actually fun to play. I'm using it live rather than in the studio. My plan is to run Patterning for drums synced with a sequencer used to control a Volca keys and an 0-Coast. Maximum fun and interactivity is really what I'm looking for. The sequences will probably be shorter sequences that I will bring in and out. 64 steps or less, but probably usually 16.

• edited February 2017

I recommend Genome. It works. Particularly in that setup- iconnect interface, and hardware synths, using their own keyboards to play them, and record their midi into sequences.

I am experiencing a crucial bug with Modstep, where, at a certain point, it stops recording Midi from the external keyboard. You see the notes getting recorded, but they instantly disappear.

I have no tempo problems here with Genome. The midi clock it sends is solid, according to the Midibus clock testing utility, says it jitters +/- 0%. I wonder, @crony , are you slaving Genome to another clock, when you have probs? If so, could the master be at fault, if it is sending a bad, jittery clock?

• @auxoct said:

@syrupcore said:
    Took me a while to get over the modstep hump (I'm still on it, really) but I find modstep less fiddly than genome. Both will do what you're after, I think.

It's not that I'm opposed to a DAW style sequencer, but it would be nice to have something that is actually fun to play. I'm using it live rather than in the studio. My plan is to run Patterning for drums synced with a sequencer used to control a Volca keys and an 0-Coast. Maximum fun and interactivity is really what I'm looking for. The sequences will probably be shorter sequences that I will bring in and out. 64 steps or less, but probably usually 16.

good description. Going to actually vote modstep because of the better (more fun) controller support. You can set up xy pads for all of the Volca keys MIDI CCs and sequence them (or just play live).

• edited February 2017

@Processaurus totally agree with Modstep midi issue, undo/redo, but even midi edition/selecting notes is the worst thing ever, even if there's brilliant ideas with looping and how to set the length etc...
    Genome is easier here. I'm going to try once again this week end.
    Genome was the master clock, and Modstep was far more rock solid on that point with me.
    If needed, Modstep also include an internal sampler quite nice, something to consider for some use.

Maybe the next upgrade of Gadget will bring a better integration of external synths ?
    Loopy Masterpiece, BM3 seems good challenger also, but not available...

• @auxoct said:

My plan is to run Patterning for drums synced with a sequencer used to control a Volca keys and an 0-Coast. Maximum fun and interactivity is really what I'm looking for. The sequences will probably be shorter sequences that I will bring in and out. 64 steps or less, but probably usually 16.

but that should be possible already? Set the O-Coast to MIDI channels 1 and 2, and the Volca to channel 3?

• edited February 2017

considering midisteps just got Ableton Link i would wholeheartedly recommend it. had an amazing time syncing my volca bass and Keys to Patterning using it. just make the pattern length you want inserting empty steps then edit them to your hearts content. My bass works perfectly with the Tied notes as well.
    was messing around using 32 step patterns and had a crazy fun time doing it.
    plus it can even send cc per step so you can do some interesting modulations as well.
    you can see a demo of an old version here:-

the new version also added something called step triggers which i'm guessing lets you immediately jump to a specific step in a pattern but i haven't gotten around to testing it yet.....

as you can see here it works perfectly with outboard syynths as well:-

it can even do stuff like scale locking and au hosting now:-

• Thank you so much for all the replies! I think I will probably end up with Genome or MidiSTEP first and see how those work out.

• Hello,
    I tested again Genome, then, again, deleted it.
    Never in time, even with Link, it's just crazy that only me having this issue...
    If you don't need too much advanced midi control from an external controller, MidiSTEP seems really good fun.
    Still hesitating with this and Thesys, I own already Step Poly Arp, it's nice, but has lack of advanced midi controls unfortunately.
    Thesys has got everything but Link, and only 1 track, and I don't know if at least it react to start/stop IAA.
    MidiSTEPS seems much more fun to play than all the others...