Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How to create this dubstep bass in Caustic 3?

Well, the title says it all. I'm looking to recreate the Datsik bass sound in Caustic 3, or at least learn the FM synthesis of how to recreate it. It goes like this...

At one minute in.
At fifty-five seconds in.

There's even what sounds like a thinner, cleaner-mixed version of it in this track around one minute, seven seconds in during the drop.
Same with the drop in this track around one minute in.

I tried mucking about the FM synthesizer, but it sounds like I need to modulate triangle waves rather than sines. Okay, and so I tried the modular synth and sorta got close, but nothing doing. I tend to come up with more Skrillex-ey basses (including the "yaya" bass through FM synthesis alone, no formant filters nor lowpass filters followed by bit reduction), which are absolutely NOT the timbres I seek.

Now, I tried to look up on youtube how to recreate that Datsik sound in Sytrus/FM8 and apply said techniques to the Modular synth in Caustic, but all I could find are Massive tutorials. Massive is a wavetable synth with many wavetables based on FM synthesis sound sources. No good as it doesn't apply to what I need. My idea is to recreate said sound sources and create that infamous pre-Skrillex wobble bass (whether it's more like Gizmo or more like Elevator, in the latter case which then I can import into Auria and use Saturn to turn it into the Gizmo bass).

On the real though, I'll probably return to Ambient soon enough. Caustic's timeline editor and ability to choose non-traditional time sigs are perfect for crafting any sort of stems I need.

Comments

• edited February 2017

Datsiks wobbles are soooo complex that i dont think you can make anything like them in fm synth, at least unless you do shit loads of layering of sounds. You kinda need multiple layers of something like massive to do sounds like he does(not talking about those songs specifically, but his sound in general, those are some of his older stuff and he hadnt developed his sounds much yet). I think the closest you get with ipad is with cyclop(but prepare to make a few layers even with it for many parts).

Ps. datsik makes dat sickest dubstep

• You're damn right Datsik makes filthy sick dubstep sounds. That's one thing I always forget about....layers. Well, I can do layers quite easily in Caustic's update. I can route channels into an instance of the Modular synth via the Machine Input module (which, unfortunately, is mono), and modulate things further in that instance. I can even send notes from that one modular synth to the other synths and pop on a couple effects.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    You're damn right Datsik makes filthy sick dubstep sounds. That's one thing I always forget about....layers. Well, I can do layers quite easily in Caustic's update. I can route channels into an instance of the Modular synth via the Machine Input module (which, unfortunately, is mono), and modulate things further in that instance. I can even send notes from that one modular synth to the other synths and pop on a couple effects.

Machine Input is stereo in 3.2.

• @anickt said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    You're damn right Datsik makes filthy sick dubstep sounds. That's one thing I always forget about....layers. Well, I can do layers quite easily in Caustic's update. I can route channels into an instance of the Modular synth via the Machine Input module (which, unfortunately, is mono), and modulate things further in that instance. I can even send notes from that one modular synth to the other synths and pop on a couple effects.

Machine Input is stereo in 3.2.

I'll be dipped, lol. Now I first noticed it. Well, then, this DEFINITELY makes layering a piece of cake! If only there was a way to automate the modulation wheel in Caustic's modular synth without a keyboard hookup, we'd be in business!