Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

"Searching" - Feedback Much Appreciated!

edited February 2017 in Creations

Hey All,

Just finished mastering my latest track called, "Searching". Many of you have been kind enough to take a few minutes to listen and review/critique my previous efforts, and I really appreciate it. I do take time to consider your thoughts, comments and suggestions, and apply them to future recordings where appropriate. Some of you may notice your suggestions coming to fruition in this track below.

If you've got 5 minutes to chill, maybe this track can help take your mind to a cool place. As always, thanks for listening and feel free to download. Hope you enjoy it!

"Searching" by Analog Cortex

https://www.reverbnation.com/analogcortex/song/27468769-searching

Comments

• The snare is too loud/forward, in my opinion. If you're going for chill, I think that's hurting your cause. Also, I think the song could benefit from more variance (elements coming in and out) or shortening of the parts that are repetitive.

Overall, a good effort, so I hope you don't find any of the above insulting or discouraging.

• @telecharge said:
    The snare is too loud/forward, in my opinion. If you're going for chill, I think that's hurting your cause. Also, I think the song could benefit from more variance (elements coming in and out) or shortening of the parts that are repetitive.

Overall, a good effort, so I hope you don't find any of the above insulting or discouraging.

Not insulted or discouraged in the least. Thank you for taking the time to listen and offer feedback. I actually agree with you on the snare. Unfortunately, I'm using GarageBand "drummer", which doesn't offer any means of adjusting individual volumes within the complete drum track. I cut the treble a hair to try and reduce the snare but that only goes so far.

• Agreed about the snare; works against the vibe.

I also think the groove is terrific, but you might use an element that doesn't play as politely as everything in the mix. The keys, the pads, even the vocoder are all the same color family. Maybe try dropping in a hook that really doesn't belong — at least initially. It's the old adding sea salt to chocolate-chip-cookies trick.

But you're almost there, I think. For me, it's a little too polite is all.
    How did you record this? The sounds are really polished.

• See, I love the snare. Can I have that sample? :) I could see it coming down ~3db for sure but nothing drastic. It might also work to EQ down 3 or 4 db in the upper mids. The thwap part of the sound.

Overall, thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice work! I wouldn't be afraid to make the distorted lead in the second half poke out and take over a bit more. I don't think that would remove from the chilled vibe (thinking of moments on the first tricky solo record).

• edited February 2017

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Agreed about the snare; works against the vibe.

I also think the groove is terrific, but you might use an element that doesn't play as politely as everything in the mix. The keys, the pads, even the vocoder are all the same color family. Maybe try dropping in a hook that really doesn't belong — at least initially. It's the old adding sea salt to chocolate-chip-cookies trick.

But you're almost there, I think. For me, it's a little too polite is all.
    How did you record this? The sounds are really polished.

I guess I may have to think about a new drums application. It's really too bad, as GarageBand "drummer" is incredibly well rounded and user friendly. For some reason, there's no way of adjusting the individual volume of the snare. Maybe b I'll try removing the snare altogether and trying something different.

Interesting point about too many similar sounds. I recorded everything on my iphone using GarageBand. Most of the parts are GB instruments, also used Animoog & Synthmaster for some noises, Troublemaker during the bridge, and sliced/diced a Blocs Wave loop for the guitar post bridge. Mastered on Final Touch (iPad).

• I agree with syrupcore that the sound of the snare is great, and the changeups at the end of every four or eight bars are nice. It's just too high in the mix. Surprised you can't tweak that at all in GB.

• @syrupcore said:
    See, I love the snare. Can I have that sample? :) I could see it coming down ~3db for sure but nothing drastic. It might also work to EQ down 3 or 4 db in the upper mids. The thwap part of the sound.

Overall, thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice work! I wouldn't be afraid to make the distorted lead in the second half poke out and take over a bit more. I don't think that would remove from the chilled vibe (thinking of moments on the first tricky solo record).

Thank you very much. I'm not really going for a chilled vibe per se, I only used that word in reference to those of you who have a few minutes to chill meaning "listen to some tunes".

Interesting to hear such an opposing opinion on the snare. I'll try your suggestion of EQ'ing the upper mids.

• edited February 2017

@ExAsperis99 said:
    I agree with syrupcore that the sound of the snare is great, and the changeups at the end of every four or eight bars are nice. It's just too high in the mix. Surprised you can't tweak that at all in GB.

Thanks for listening. I agree about the snare being too high in the mix, and it is very surprising that GB doesn't allow for such a simple tweak. Perhaps I'm just missing it, but I've searched multiple times to no avail. To be clear, it's the GB "drummer" that doesn't allow for this. GB "smart drums" does allow for this, but sacrifices greatly in other areas when compared to "drummer".

• @telecharge said:
    The snare is too loud/forward, in my opinion.

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Agreed about the snare; works against the vibe.

@syrupcore said:
    See, I love the snare. Can I have that sample? :) I could see it coming down ~3db for sure but nothing drastic. It might also work to EQ down 3 or 4 db in the upper mids. The thwap part of the sound.

Thaks again for the great feedback. I took @syrupcore's suggestion and brought the upper mids on the drum track down a bit. Also bumped the distorted lead a hair, and bumped up the "vocoder" that joins in. I think it's a nice improvement, I'd love to hear what you guys think. The updated version is in original post. Thanks for listening!

• edited February 2017

@AnalogCortex Just had a listen, and I agree, it's a nice improvement.

A couple of things I would consider changing. I'm not sure if this is because you dipped the upper mids, but it feels like there is something missing in the middle of the mix. Since the vocoder part is acting like the vocals, try reducing the ping-pong effect. Also, giving the kick some love to give it more energy/presence will help "fill the void" in the middle.

EDIT: By the way, I'm just talking about the first part of the song as it relates to the vocoder. It sounds good after the bridge.

• Not bad, the ambiance reminds be a bit of Prince.
    With lyrics, and a better mix : lower a bit the snare (and/or maybe a different panning ?), lead synth louder ?