What app for sampling vinyls?

So im going to buy a vinyl player tomorrow and since i have some vinyls id like to sample(one shots and longer ones), i guess ill need some app for it(trying to keep this part of music making away from desktop).

I have impc pro, but its pretty unstable, so i would like something else. Slicr seems nice, but it doesent appear to be able to record to it directly, or have fade in/out to remove some possible clicks on start/end of the samples. Reslice seems decent, but im not sure about it.

I have been looking at some djing apps and it seems like maybe some of them could be used? Some of them can figure out the tempo, which would be really nice. However i would like more groovebox style of working where i can do everything from sampling to sequencing(link is a must if im going to sequence with it!) and triggering the samples via midi. And not have to deal with multiple apps. But if there is some real benefit in it, i can think about it.

Beatmaker 3 seems perfect, but its gonna take a while to come out, so id like something to use while im waiting for it. Or should i just stick with impc pro and try to live with it randomly crashing and me losing work? It does seem most like what im looking for, but ive lost too much work too many times with it, so id rather stay away from it till/if its fixed :/

Comments

  • 15 Comments sorted by Date Votes
  • I do use BM2...

  • for sampling, building and organizing a library..... audioshare.

  • BM3 will be 'insane' and most likely without any kind of serious competition on iOS period.

    I am interested in seeing what Beathawk 2 will bring to the table once it gets released...

  • @kobamoto said:
    for sampling, building and organizing a library..... audioshare.

    I dont really like that sort of workflow. And based on some videos i looked, it doesent have fade in/out, which is a complete deal breaker for me. Also no pitch shifting or time stretch.

    @ElGregoLoco said:
    I do use BM2...

    Im just looking at some videos about it, but dont notice fade in/out on it either :/ Does it really miss one of the most essential sampler tools, or are the guys making those videos i watched just not using it?

  • @ToMess said:

    @kobamoto said:
    for sampling, building and organizing a library..... audioshare.

    I dont really like that sort of workflow. And based on some videos i looked, it doesent have fade in/out, which is a complete deal breaker for me. Also no pitch shifting or time stretch.

    AudioShare has fade in/out when you select the 'trim' option.

    Before rushing to things wait for BM3. It has 'Audio-Share Like' file management and can send files to any app using 'Open In...', 'iCloud Drive' etc.

    I know, I know, It will take some time before it's done but it will be worth it, trust me on this one!

  • @Samu said:

    @ToMess said:

    @kobamoto said:
    for sampling, building and organizing a library..... audioshare.

    I dont really like that sort of workflow. And based on some videos i looked, it doesent have fade in/out, which is a complete deal breaker for me. Also no pitch shifting or time stretch.

    AudioShare has fade in/out when you select the 'trim' option.

    Before rushing to things wait for BM3. It has 'Audio-Share Like' file management and can send files to any app using 'Open In...', 'iCloud Drive' etc.

    I know, I know, It will take some time before it's done but it will be worth it, trust me on this one!

    Yea im pretty set on buying it when it comes out. But looks like it will take a few months, so i need something to use while waiting for it.

  • oops didn't realize you were talking bout slicing, thought you just wanted to sample some vinyl

  • I thought the same. Are you looking for apps to sample and then mess with immediately or sample-edit-catalogue? If immediately, what do you like to do?

  • edited February 6 Vote Up0

    @syrupcore said:
    I thought the same. Are you looking for apps to sample and then mess with immediately or sample-edit-catalogue? If immediately, what do you like to do?

    Well i mentioned at op that sampling one shots and longer samples. And prefer a groovebox type of app that can do it all from sampling, triggering them via midi(and ofc slicing them so that they can be used properly) to preferably sequencing of the samples. So yes, immediate results over building some large sample library that i can load to apps(i would use a computer for that).

  • Vinyls- what???

  • @Jose_Bee said:
    Vinyls- what???

    Haha.
    I was thinking the same thing. We must be old.

  • BM2 does everything you mentioned. The interface is a bit cumbersome (currently) but it gets the job done. I like iMPC Pro for chopping samples. I have not had a problem with random crashing. It was pretty stable on my Ipad Air 1 and even more stable on my Ipad Pro 9.7. I'm on IOS 10.2 BTW.

  • @Dham said:
    BM2 does everything you mentioned. The interface is a bit cumbersome (currently) but it gets the job done. I like iMPC Pro for chopping samples. I have not had a problem with random crashing. It was pretty stable on my Ipad Air 1 and even more stable on my Ipad Pro 9.7. I'm on IOS 10.2 BTW.

    I think ill see what the coming impc pro update has to offer and if its more stable. If not, ill consider bm2, unless there is some hidden gem someone mentions. The thing with bm2 is that im pretty sure that i heard that bm3 wont be a free upgrade to bm2, so it feels a bit silly to put money on bm2 atm. But then again if i would be replacing what ever other app i now use with bm3.. But if the impc pro update will deliver, i think it would be enough for my groove box and sampling needs

  • @ToMess said:
    Im just looking at some videos about it, but dont notice fade in/out on it either :/ Does it really miss one of the most essential sampler tools, or are the guys making those videos i watched just not using it?

    I'm not sure that I completly understand what you're looking for... But BM2 propose to include micro fade in and fade out automatically when chopping a sample... Which avoids pops when using the chops, e.g. in Gadget Bilbao...

  • @ElGregoLoco said:

    @ToMess said:
    Im just looking at some videos about it, but dont notice fade in/out on it either :/ Does it really miss one of the most essential sampler tools, or are the guys making those videos i watched just not using it?

    I'm not sure that I completly understand what you're looking for... But BM2 propose to include micro fade in and fade out automatically when chopping a sample... Which avoids pops when using the chops, e.g. in Gadget Bilbao...

    Yea thats what meant(manually tho, but if automated works, thats better). But since they just released impc pro update that promises stability. Ill look if it can deliver before jumping to bm2

Sign In or Register to comment.