Modstep Midi issues

Hello, i am a new User of the Great Modstep Sequenzer and i really Love the App.
However i have some Midi related questions

A) can route midi from one track to another? I have tried to select modstep channel 1 as midi output and on a other track I selected modstep 1 as midi input.. Without success.
In modstep settings midi notes are enabled fur the modstep midi source and destination.

B) how can I use external midi clock? In cubasis I turned on midi clock send and in modstep I activated the midi clock source from cubasis but it doesn't work. Any suggestions?

C) when I connect my akai mini map midi keyboard I can play via modstep but the keyboard behaves strange. Unlike in cubasis it seems that midi notes are sent to the keyboard but on all channels no midi output is enabled. The LEDs on my mkp are flashing like crazy when playing notes (e.g. Apreggiator turns on and off)
This behaviour I can get in cubasis when I send midi notes to the mkp.
There seems to be a bug in modstep.

Did anybody have similar issues or does someone know solutions? I am on a iPad pro with the latest OS and version of modstep installed.

Comments

  • 21 Comments sorted by Date Votes
  • A. Make sure that the app you use has Modstep as midi source (and correct channel)
    B. I don't have cubasis but first make sure the "clock" icon showing Cubasis midi input ,inside Modstep ,is active. Does Cubasis have option for clock destination? If so, try selecting Modstep as midi out for clock and inside Modstep select the 'clock' icon on the virtual port.
    C. Since it is not hardware related it seems there is some feedback issue. Check the midi ports and disable note out (and midi ) to akai mini.

    Hope it helps :)

  • A) make sure you arm the tracks. Should work after that.
    @Korakios has you covered for the other 2 questions....

  • Thank you for the quick answers.

    Regarding a) I have tried to enable REC but without success.
    On the second track I can see midi activity(light flashing) on modstep channel 1 coming in but when I select channel 1 on track 2 no midi data is received

    Regarding b) I have set send midi clock in cubasis and in modstep I can see the flashing clock icon from the cubasis midi source but I get no synced midi clock in modstep.

    Regarding c) I disabled all options in the mkp midi destination. No midi should be sent there but I still have the problem

  • So no one else is having issues with Modstep lately?

    I am lately.

    Just odd little things. Nothing catastrophic.

    However, they are nuisance enough to return to Infinite and /or Genome.

  • edited February 5 Vote Up0

    Just tested, indeed Cubasis seems to send clock, as Troublemaker is launching perfectly.
    Used with Modstep, and checked if signal was coming (from an other ipad) I can see the clock flashing in Modstep, but nothing happens...

    Love Genome for the ease, hate it for the swing...But true, midi editing is a nightmare compared to Gadget...or even Cubasis...I don't understand why this part is so weak regarding all other great features in it...

  • edited February 5 Vote Up0

    @Jokerpack said:
    Thank you for the quick answers.

    Regarding a) I have tried to enable REC but without success.
    On the second track I can see midi activity(light flashing) on modstep channel 1 coming in but when I select channel 1 on track 2 no midi data is received

    Regarding b) I have set send midi clock in cubasis and in modstep I can see the flashing clock icon from the cubasis midi source but I get no synced midi clock in modstep.

    Regarding c) I disabled all options in the mkp midi destination. No midi should be sent there but I still have the problem

    A) Arm Track 1.

    B ) you seem to have the clock disabled. click it so it lights up with a circle around it (under sources)

  • Hello gone crazy,
    Arming track 1 doesn't help. Track 1 is the source track and I want to play back the midi notes from track 1 on track 2.
    I tried arming 1,2 and both - it does not work. Please try my example

  • Regarding b) midi clock from cubasis (midi sources) was enabled and the flashing light indicated the midi clock signal but it had no effect.

  • edited February 5 Vote Up0

    @Jokerpack said:

    Don't have cubasis installed currently and am away for a day or so from a good internet connection. will get back to you as fast as i can. regarding the midi notes can't you just copy them across to the second track ?
    if its because you want 1 midi controller to control both tracks just make the midi input on both as the same midi controller/midi app. you cant directly connect 1 track to another in modstep.

    i think what you are trying is similar to what i am doing here:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiCxFk-G_Sg

    In the video i actually have it setup as midi controller=>thumbjam(for scale lock)=>thumbjam port1=>track1=>modstep port1=>step poly arp=>modstep port 1=>modstep. that way im recording both normal and appregiated midi

  • Hello crazy thank you for your help. You are right. I could just copy the part to the other track but from my technical understanding i would expect the sequencer be able to route the midi notes.
    When I send midi to modstep 1 and choose modstep 1 as a midi source I see data being received.I think it is just a bug.
    Yes you are right. With one midi controller you can control multiple tracks.
    I hope I can solve the issue with my akai mkp.
    Maybe I should contact the modstep developer. I hope there are still active developing modstep.

  • If you could test out cubasis and the midi clock later it would be great

  • edited February 6 Vote Up0

    @Jokerpack said:
    Regarding b) midi clock from cubasis (midi sources) was enabled and the flashing light indicated the midi clock signal but it had no effect.

    Same here...But I wonder if you put Cubasis + Modstep into AUM, to have the same IAA host would help ?
    I also noticed that, at the moment, I couldn't trace the midi clock out from Cubasis with Midivision or Midiflow, but this is weird, it sends something as it is captured, for instance by Troublemaker, and starts playing while Cubasis is starting...

  • @Jokerpack said:
    Hello gone crazy,
    Arming track 1 doesn't help. Track 1 is the source track and I want to play back the midi notes from track 1 on track 2.
    I tried arming 1,2 and both - it does not work. Please try my example

    Yes it doesn't and I am sure it's not a bug ,since it would create endless feedback if connected wrongly . You may try using other app like Midiflow and create virtual midi ports (the routing will be set within Midiflow)

    @Jokerpack said:
    Regarding b) midi clock from cubasis (midi sources) was enabled and the flashing light indicated the midi clock signal but it had no effect.

    Is there any setting in Cubasis to choose the midi port ,where clock is transmitted ?

  • Yes it doesn't and I am sure it's not a bug ,since it would create endless feedback if connected wrongly . You may try using other app like Midiflow and create virtual midi ports (the routing will be set within Midiflow)

    Hello Korakios,,thank you for the suggestion with midi flow.i have to take a look at it.
    Yes you are right that a feedback loop would be problematic but the wrong use could prohibited by the app. It should not be impossible to implement this . In cubasis I often route midi from one track to another without problems.

    @Jokerpack said:
    Regarding b) midi clock from cubasis (midi sources) was enabled and the flashing light indicated the midi clock signal but it had no effect.

    Is there any setting in Cubasis to choose the midi port ,where clock is transmitted ?

    I looked into cubasis settings. I only can toggle midi clock but I can't select the destination.
    I tested the midi clock with modrums. It receives the midi clock from cubasis.

  • It must be a specific issue with the combination of Cubasis with Modstep,since Modstep receives midi clock from other apps and it works. :(

  • This is really sad as i use modstep together with modstep

  • Good morning

  • edited December 8 Vote Up0

    @Jokerpack said:
    Hello, i am a new User of the Great Modstep Sequenzer and i really Love the App.
    However i have some Midi related questions

    A— can route midi from one track to another? I have tried to select modstep channel 1 as midi output and on a other track I selected modstep 1 as midi input.. Without success.
    In modstep settings midi notes are enabled fur the modstep midi source and destination.

    B— how can I use external midi clock? In cubasis I turned on midi clock send and in modstep I activated the midi clock source from cubasis but it doesn't work. Any suggestions?

    I got the recording and sync working today, but I don’t have an external keyboard to test that issue.
    A— To record MIDI for one track to another in Modstep, I had to route it through AUM.

    B— To sync to Cubasis: in Modstep choose Modstep as Clock source and start Modstep first, then Cubasis; or use the app MIDI Link Sync to have Cubasis run the Ableton Link clock for Modstep to sync to.

    Hope that helps!

  • edited December 7 Vote Up0

    I can make sync between Cubasis and Modstep work by setting the Clock Source in ModStep to be ModStep......this is a bit odd, but it is working. This works without loading ModStep into Cubasis via IAA.

  • @AndyPlankton said:
    I can make sync between Cubasis and Modstep work by setting the Clock Source in ModStep to be ModStep......this is a bit odd, but it is working. This works without loading ModStep into Cubasis via IAA.

    Ah, good. Loading Modstep into Cubasis seemed convoluted.

Sign In or Register to comment.