Orchestral music on iPad

24

Comments

  • @Jmcmillan said:
    Yep..That's me that found that bug. :)

    Ahhhhh! Hadn't made that connection :smiley: Doh!

  • @MusicInclusive said:

    @Jmcmillan said:
    Yep..That's me that found that bug. :)

    Ahhhhh! Hadn't made that connection :smiley: Doh!

    Do you know how to bring said sounds to an even level (commenting out the velocity opcodes in the .sf file etc.)? Thx!

  • Yes. A comment line of SFZ code is preceded by //, so just use a text editor such notepad to modify the SFZ files by type // in front of the code lines you want Auria / Lyra sample player to ignore.

    See this post in the Auria forum for some details. http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14888

    To put the LPF back in, it can be done with the knob setting in the filter area of LYRA but I haven't figured out the exact setting.

  • When you use the knob settings in LYRA, it works properly, so it can be used as a workaround until Rim has a chance to fix it (he says it's on his list!)

  • edited February 2017

    @Jmcmillan said:
    When you use the knob settings in LYRA, it works properly, so it can be used as a workaround until Rim has a chance to fix it (he says it's on his list!)

    Aces, many thanks :) !

  • @ccs2 said:

    @Jmcmillan said:
    When you use the knob settings in LYRA, it works properly, so it can be used as a workaround until Rim has a chance to fix it (he says it's on his list!)

    Aces, many thanks :) !

    :+1:

  • Many thanks to all for sharing your experience on IOS!!! I didn't want to go down a road think one way, only to be disappointed. I think using Lyra and SSO, I can make some usable music with limited articulations. Found someone on you tube recently who is doing just that.

    If I want to make something more complicated and sound a little better, buying a PC and a nice library will be in order!

  • I just reread that post and it sounded like I was putting down the music in the YouTube video. I think the music made in that video is pretty darn good! Just trying to show an example of people using free libraries to make good music.

  • +2 for isymphonic

    You can load multiple instances of it to auria, so creating full orchestras is no problem. Also even if you use it as standalone, you can play 16 "instances" of it listening to different midi channels. Modstep or genome + loop recorder(blocs wave, loopy hd) would also work with it if you dont want to use a daw.

  • I've never heard of "Notion" till now.. Thanks, guys!

  • edited February 2017

    @Jmcmillan said:
    I just reread that post and it sounded like I was putting down the music in the YouTube video. I think the music made in that video is pretty darn good! Just trying to show an example of people using free libraries to make good music.

    I also do not want to be misunderstood as saying it's not possible to do. :+1: :smiley: - only that it's a lot of work to do anything with expressive articulation that sounds like it is truly representative outside of something like Notion.

    One of the easier things to do - as the video you highlighted using FL demonstrates - is to use short notes with legato patches to emulate a staccato or staccatissimos or spiccato sound. From my albeit limited appraisal of it, that's what's going on in track 2 there in the video you shared. It's an emulation, but it's not a truly separately recorded sample of course, as a player would actually play it with short bow strokes which sound different.

    And, it's what I did in the sample I gave above where I'd taken K.201 from a MIDI file (from Clasical Archives - great site for classical MIDI files, but the quality varies a fair amount), and then reorchestrated it according to an actual score from IMSLP in Notion on the iPad. Now, I really will render this in Notion - probably on the desktop - eventually if I take it to completion (but there's a lot of work to do on the score before that because, e.g., all the trills get unfolded to individual MIDI notes and hence individual notes in the score - which is not the way Wolfgang wrote it :wink: , and, also, all the repeats get unwound in a MIDI file so that one has to identify the repeating sections and generate DCs al. Coda's etc. manually in the reorchestrated score.)

    Anyhow, so, I've been working on reorchestrating that in Notion, but for a bit of "fun" I decided to do the export to MIDI and then import into Auria Pro and then instrumentation with the SSO instruments. Again, that's what that clip above was illustrating. I'd only got 42 bars into the reorchestration of the MIDI when I was doing that at the time. It was mostly right but also had at least one wrong note and some interesting tempo changes too (as I say, variability at CA, but, kudos nonetheless that someone had uploaded that to start with.) What I did therefore was to use all legato instruments (rather than split it out into individual articulations / expressions on different tracks), and see how it sounded. Not bad. Not brilliant, but not bad :smiley:

    Here's part of the Notion score - in Notion on iOS:

    And zoomed out a bit

    Here's continuous view

    Note the staccatissimos in the strings. Imagine breaking those out to handle them with different voicings. One would multiply the track count from 4 to 8 right away. Also notice the tremolos in bar 19 for the first violins and the violas. In the original MIDI score those were all notated as individual MIDI notes. Had to reverse engineer that to what WAM actually wrote :smile:

    N2.PNG 293.4K
    N1.PNG 287.2K
    N3.PNG 345.7K
  • @ToMess said:
    +2 for isymphonic

    • add me on.
  • Here's another example in Notion. This is part of Hansom Ride that I also posted above. I wouldn't even attempt this with SSO + Auria Pro. Take a look at the section I highlighted. You'll see numerous articulation and expression changes: arco -> pizzi and back. Legato -> staccato and back. Legato -> staccatissimo and back. Staccatissimo -> accented staccatissimo. And so on :smile:

    That's what makes the piece "jump" along like it does - meant to signify a trotting horse :smile:

    N4.PNG 277.7K
  • I'm sticking with iSymphonic

  • Isymphonic looks pretty good. Do you have some of the IAPs? I think if I bought them all it would be over $150? My budget is aching :)

  • edited February 2017

    I have the base pack which is pretty generous and I have the Arpa sound set. Very nice cinematic strings and beautiful harps and harpsichords. Plan on getting Keys set one day because of the Celtic harp. Listen to each sound set, they are on youtube and I think on their site also. And choose what suits your needs.
    Yup they are expensive but totally worth it
    Sometimes they go on sale :)

  • Might want to consider Oriental Strings by Crudetbyte (iSymphonic)...got some nice string sounds in there and its (only) $9.99.

  • @Jmcmillan said:
    Isymphonic looks pretty good. Do you have some of the IAPs? I think if I bought them all it would be over $150? My budget is aching :)

    I have them all. Poor but happy. Really lovely. As for Staccatissimo, I have begun to say this under my breath at the dog when he loiters on our nightly walks through the neighborhood. No obvious effect, but makes me feel better...

  • I eventually want them all too....greedy me

  • Here's a demo of sample tank miroslav #1 and cinematic drums. Very frustrating to use but the sounds are there. Now if only I could use gadget to drive them!

  • @MusicInclusive said:
    Here's an example of a piece scored and rendered in Notion on the iPad:

    @MusicInclusive Very nice pieces in Notion. Thanks for sharing. I also appreciate that the app offers a solution for articulation and expression changes. The instruments sounds are decent and I also have the handwriting IAP which makes entering notes so much easier.

  • +1 Notion.

    Fantastic App, very decent sounds, interoperability with desktop, light on resources (full orchestra with more than 24 tracks on ipad mini 2).
    Truly a joy orchestarting on the move: no complex links or midi setting.... just fire the app, setup the score page, compose and render.

  • @studioAB said:

    @MusicInclusive said:
    Here's an example of a piece scored and rendered in Notion on the iPad:

    @MusicInclusive Very nice pieces in Notion. Thanks for sharing. I also appreciate that the app offers a solution for articulation and expression changes. The instruments sounds are decent and I also have the handwriting IAP which makes entering notes so much easier.

    Thanks. Glad you liked it.

    For me personally, I find handrwriting input for notation on any platform, Notion or otherwise, to be lacking. I find I am far faster in general using the on-screen keyboard or on-screen touch placement, movement, etc. with the menus. The time taken for getting accurate understanding of every note, rest, articulation, etc. - esp on ledger lines - isn't something I want to wait around for. I've tried the same on the desktop version with a tablet with the same results.

    If it works for you - great. For me it's way slower :smile:

    But then, I write like a spider dipped in an inkpot. :smiley:

  • @gfcalvi said:
    +1 Notion.

    Fantastic App, very decent sounds, interoperability with desktop, light on resources (full orchestra with more than 24 tracks on ipad mini 2).
    Truly a joy orchestarting on the move: no complex links or midi setting.... just fire the app, setup the score page, compose and render.

    Indeed! :+1:

  • @MusicInclusive said:

    @studioAB said:

    @MusicInclusive said:
    Here's an example of a piece scored and rendered in Notion on the iPad:

    @MusicInclusive Very nice pieces in Notion. Thanks for sharing. I also appreciate that the app offers a solution for articulation and expression changes. The instruments sounds are decent and I also have the handwriting IAP which makes entering notes so much easier.

    Thanks. Glad you liked it.

    For me personally, I find handrwriting input for notation on any platform, Notion or otherwise, to be lacking. I find I am far faster in general using the on-screen keyboard or on-screen touch placement, movement, etc. with the menus. The time taken for getting accurate understanding of every note, rest, articulation, etc. - esp on ledger lines - isn't something I want to wait around for. I've tried the same on the desktop version with a tablet with the same results.

    If it works for you - great. For me it's way slower :smile:

    But then, I write like a spider dipped in an inkpot. :smiley:

    Do you find the onscreen keyboard/fretboard a bit laggy to play? For myself it's much different/better using a midi keyboard.

  • @MusicInclusive said:
    If it works for you - great. For me it's way slower :smile:

    But then, I write like a spider dipped in an inkpot. :smiley:

    But, then again, the man plays a mean piccoloboe :wink: :+1:

  • @MusicInclusive , you seem to be an expert in orchestral music in here. I checked out your soundcloud pieces and they are great!.
    I am a sucker for orchestral stuff and trying to learn basic orchestration. I never knew, Notion gives you orchestral samples and that too with articulations.

    Questions:
    1. Are the orchestral samples IAP or free?
    2. Does all the articulations available in the UI - have equivalent samples recorded using that articulation or is it done internally by scripts?
    3. can you list all the articulations available?
    4. any MIDI / audiobus capability to record into cubasis

    Thanks.

  • @studioAB said:

    @MusicInclusive said:

    @studioAB said:

    @MusicInclusive said:
    Here's an example of a piece scored and rendered in Notion on the iPad:

    @MusicInclusive Very nice pieces in Notion. Thanks for sharing. I also appreciate that the app offers a solution for articulation and expression changes. The instruments sounds are decent and I also have the handwriting IAP which makes entering notes so much easier.

    Thanks. Glad you liked it.

    For me personally, I find handrwriting input for notation on any platform, Notion or otherwise, to be lacking. I find I am far faster in general using the on-screen keyboard or on-screen touch placement, movement, etc. with the menus. The time taken for getting accurate understanding of every note, rest, articulation, etc. - esp on ledger lines - isn't something I want to wait around for. I've tried the same on the desktop version with a tablet with the same results.

    If it works for you - great. For me it's way slower :smile:

    But then, I write like a spider dipped in an inkpot. :smiley:

    Do you find the onscreen keyboard/fretboard a bit laggy to play? For myself it's much different/better using a midi keyboard.

    Ah. I don't play it like an instrument keyboard. I use it for note entry. Note at a time stuff.

    For recording played keyboard entry I'll hook up to an 88-key. :smile:

  • @ipadmussic said:
    @MusicInclusive , you seem to be an expert in orchestral music in here. I checked out your soundcloud pieces and they are great!.
    I am a sucker for orchestral stuff and trying to learn basic orchestration. I never knew, Notion gives you orchestral samples and that too with articulations.

    Questions:
    1. Are the orchestral samples IAP or free?
    2. Does all the articulations available in the UI - have equivalent samples recorded using that articulation or is it done internally by scripts?
    3. can you list all the articulations available?
    4. any MIDI / audiobus capability to record into cubasis

    Thanks.

    1.) Some are free with the app. Many (most) are IAPs - well worth it. You can buy all together or add instruments as you need them.

    2.) I don't know how it's done internally. I suspect it's separate samples derived from the desktop Notion LSO samples as I believe it is on the desktop, but it may be timing / dynamics in some cases as opposed to different bowings. I can see if I can find out from the Notion team.

    3.) You can check the articulation list in the Notion manual - available online.

    The older version of the manual is available here.

    http://www-media-presonus.netdna-ssl.com/downloads/products/pdf/Notion_for_iPad_Help_Guide.pdf

    It lists all the articulations across different instruments. Nothing about those has changed in the latest version.

    The latest version's manual however is embedded in the app itself and there's no separate URL for it that I know of all though I'll hunt some more and if not I'll see if we can request that of the Notion folks.

    4.) No ability to record MIDI out directly but you can export MIDI and import into Cubasis. And, as I noted in my longer post above, there is no audio out from Notion into IAA or Audiobus either. However, there are a number of options with audio:

    a.) You can export the wav and import into something else

    (You can't export stems directly from Notion iOS, only the total mix.)

    b.) If you have desktop Notion, you can export stems. You can share your iOS Notion session with desktop Notion and then export from the desktop. (And then reimport those stems back into Cubasis or whatever).

    c.) If you have desktop Notion, you can also just do a "send to Studio One" and the audio will be sent.

    d.) If you have desktop Notion, you can also export a PreSonus Capture session.

    MIDI out and audio out to AB / IAA has been requested already - for some time.

  • @eustressor said:

    @MusicInclusive said:
    If it works for you - great. For me it's way slower :smile:

    But then, I write like a spider dipped in an inkpot. :smiley:

    But, then again, the man plays a mean piccoloboe :wink: :+1:

    Ah - yes. This one :smiley: - This was a bit of musical fun :wink:

Sign In or Register to comment.