Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Photophore synth 0,99€ Until february 10th

Photophore Synth par Taika Systems LLC
https://appsto.re/fr/zJL33.i

Comments

• A steal! One of my favs :)

• I presume everyone has this puppy already? Surely? If not you'll struggle to spend 99 cents on anything better this weekend. Maybe go mad and splash another few coppers on Lofionic Mani, shove them both into AB, put the lock down and have a twiddle....

• Thanks! Maybe I was the one hold-out, but I'll gladly take it! ;)

• edited February 2017

ok ok, I bought it.

Thanks! Nice surprise

• Hi

Does it accept midi in from hardware?
    What was the price before?

• @AlexB said:

>

What was the price before?

$7,99

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I presume everyone has this puppy already? Surely? If not you'll struggle to spend 99 cents on anything better this weekend. Maybe go mad and splash another few coppers on Lofionic Mani, shove them both into AB, put the lock down and have a twiddle....

Grabbed Mani on your mention. Dig the sound. :) How's his other tape delay duplicat? Redundant with other delays I likely already have, or something unique in sound?

• @skiphunt said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I presume everyone has this puppy already? Surely? If not you'll struggle to spend 99 cents on anything better this weekend. Maybe go mad and splash another few coppers on Lofionic Mani, shove them both into AB, put the lock down and have a twiddle....

Grabbed Mani on your mention. Dig the sound. :) How's his other tape delay duplicat? Redundant with other delays I likely already have, or something unique in sound?

I'll say Duplicat is likely redundant like it is for me. I don't use it. But if you want a cheap au delay specifically maybe it's for you.

• Seems really nice, would have done an instabuy with full midi implementation, and loading sounds thru program change, or something equivalent...

• @AlexB said:
    Hi

Does it accept midi in from hardware?

I can't get my Korg Microkey Air to show up.
    But I can route the Microkey to Photophore via Cubasis, so that is a fairly easy workaround.
    Probably want to be recording in Cubasis most of the time anyway.

• @Redo1 said:

@skiphunt said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

I'll say Duplicat is likely redundant like it is for me. I don't use it. But if you want a cheap au delay specifically maybe it's for you.

• Guys. Does this follow midi clock ?

• @Redo1 said:

@skiphunt said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Happy to very much disagree. Duplicat has a specific sound. I quite like it. You may be able to coax a similar sound from the options available in the mighty AUFX:Dub but no doubt Duplicat is no "repeat exactly what you did, only a bit softer" type delay.

• @syrupcore does it stay in sync with IAA tempo ? Do you have midi controls available for it ? Thanks :)

• I see move questions being asked than answered.

I got it yesterday and used it yesterday for about 2 minutes and was not hugely impressed. I'm extremely wary of 'same old' synths dressed in shiny clothes. I don't know why I imagined that it would use the dotty surface for playing but of course it's just a fancy display. Haven't explored much further but on the first try I haven't found much.

Of course I discarded Samplr on my first try and now is my bestest app so what do ya know?

• Ah sorry, my fault. The dots react to touch by changing flight patterns. I see midi channel and source selector in the settings (for hooking up a keyboard) but no indication of sync so far. I also couldn't find a hold button for the app which is a bit annoying.

• edited February 2017

Seems like all it does is detune all oscillators. The difference is that detune effect is ever changing through the 'random' algo that can be affected by some settings and finger swipes. Kind of similar to Animoog idea but more random.

Another potential for creating samples for Samplr. That kind of justifies the expense of £1.

Ok, fake news. Animoog oscillates through wavetable and this just detunes. I hope the developer will join us to explain.

• Bit of a disappointment for me this one, as I bought it at full price thinking it'd get some updates and improvements - for example the keyboard is virtually unplayable for me, but nothing for two years. Bargain for a quid, but for eight quid, with that keyboard, not really.

• @supadom said:
    I also couldn't find a hold button for the app which is a bit annoying.

The hold button is the lock icon next to the keyboard.

Personally I'd be hard pushed to complain about a nice sounding synth for £1. I'd probably struggle to complain about anything which has cost me a pound. I frequently visit the Pound shop and buy a load of old crap just because it's a pound! :smiley:

• @Oblique said:

@supadom said:
    I also couldn't find a hold button for the app which is a bit annoying.

The hold button is the lock icon next to the keyboard.

Personally I'd be hard pushed to complain about a nice sounding synth for £1. I'd probably struggle to complain about anything which has cost me a pound. I frequently visit the Pound shop and buy a load of old crap just because it's a pound! :smiley:

I wasn't complaining but simply giving a live commentary of my exploration journey of the app.

Your Poundland analogy is a great one though. I'd rather avoid spending spare change on things I don't need, be it at Poundland or AppStore.

• edited February 2017

Usually i am a sucker for cheap synth apps, but after hearing some demos (youtube, especially the nice one by Jakob) i wasnt impressed too much. Yes, it sounds nice and it is worth every penny for this price: it is a steal! Together with Crystalline mini (2,99) it will give you some very interesting, otherworldly sounds.

https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/crystalline-mini-shimmer-reverb/id950830797?mt=8

It has a really nice (and sometimes even refreshing) idea of Osc detune - but i dont think it offers me something really new what make me feel that i "need" it. I am missing complexity - on the other hand its easy handling can be seen as one of the very strong points of this synth app.

It is just a question of personal taste. Oh, and i really should spend more time to explore all of the apps/synths i still have. For example, i should spend more time with zMors modular and yesterday i found out (i have to say thank you to this forum!) that "ToyTone" from Itoh Tomoaki is completely free and it delivers a great bunch of the chiptune sounds i am after.

https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/toytone/id1016447265?mt=8

(maybe i am crazy: lots of love for Toytone - and no enthusiasm for this great offering of Photophore, which is a professional synth app with a quite good sound)

• @MonzoPro said:
    Bit of a disappointment for me this one, as I bought it at full price thinking it'd get some updates and improvements - for example the keyboard is virtually unplayable for me, but nothing for two years. Bargain for a quid, but for eight quid, with that keyboard, not really.

I got it during the holidays on sale for $4. I love it's pads and playing with the swarms. Great for soundscape stuff. But, the fact it hasn't had an update in so long, and it's never been this low in price, I hope that doesn't signal imminent abandonment.

• @skiphunt said:

@MonzoPro said:
    Bit of a disappointment for me this one, as I bought it at full price thinking it'd get some updates and improvements - for example the keyboard is virtually unplayable for me, but nothing for two years. Bargain for a quid, but for eight quid, with that keyboard, not really.

I got it during the holidays on sale for $4. I love it's pads and playing with the swarms. Great for soundscape stuff. But, the fact it hasn't had an update in so long, and it's never been this low in price, I hope that doesn't signal imminent abandonment.

I'd say no action for nearly two years means it already has been.

• @skiphunt said:

@MonzoPro said:

Unless you treat lowering the price as maintenance the app might have been abandoned on the 24th of March 2015. ;)

Anyway, I've just tried it with the cans and have to say that my mind didn't get blown by the sound. I think the waveforms don't sound punchy or crisp enough for me. Still, as said before, I'm not going to pull my hair out because of having bought it.

• I got it when it first came out and was immediately disappointed. The reason for this was that from the name I assumed it would do something using the camera. Imagine my disappointment when I found it had absolutely nothing to do with 'photo'- anything. The bees moving around seemed irrelevant and uncontrollable. Weeks later, reading about how other people were using it, it transpired that you move your finger and instead of controlling the bees, the bees made their own decision about how much they'll avoid your attempted control, thwarting your ambitions by simply moving out of the way and laughing. In this respect, it is very true to life model of opportunity and agency in modern 21st century life.

The sounds are nothing special, the range of variance isn't great, and the vast quantity of detunable oscillators doesn't really amount to the kind of signature sounds you prick up your ears at. As an experiment, it seems interesting, if quietly explained, but as a thing that cost what I paid for it, I saw better value elsewhere. For this money, however, it's probably of interest, but probably won't be a mainstay in everything you make (unless you were specifically looking to replace the comb-and-paper in your vaudeville tribute band).

• Hmm, I just opened this again after ignoring it for an eon (not literally) and I revert what I said above nearly two years ago.

I consider it a good app for pathetic sounds. Now, that’s not a criticism. Sometimes you want your sounds to be strident and confident and bollock-grabbingly in your face. Sometimes, however, you want the enfeebled, the weak and timid, the sounds that lack confidence, are insecure and can’t keep a straight tone because they’re poorly and aren’t well. Sometimes you want a pathetic sound – purely for the atmosphere and feel. Sometimes you want your sounds to be a bit distant, can’t quite make it to the front row, and are a bit crumpled. Sometimes you want your sounds to remind you of an antique record playing toy which hasn’t been wound up fully, and is in another room anyway – possibly a haunted room, and there’s actually nothing in there, yet you heard it. Here it is – this app is how to make pathetic sounds that you’ll find highly useful. I think I’ll be paying it a bit more attention now.

• I happen to like this one... but noticed it doesn't work with apeMatrix or AUM anymore. Still works with AB3 though. Anyone know if the dev has mentioned an update? Or, is the seemingly perpetual $1 sale pretty much the end of this one?

• @skiphunt said:
    I happen to like this one... but noticed it doesn't work with apeMatrix or AUM anymore. Still works with AB3 though. Anyone know if the dev has mentioned an update? Or, is the seemingly perpetual $1 sale pretty much the end of this one?

It is finicky, but I got it to work in both hosts. It is that splash screen when you open it, it seems to me. Try opening the app first, then loading it up.
    Also, in apeMatrix, you won’t see Photophore listed in the Midi Matrix, but it is in the midi output plug symbol as an IAA destination. The ape KB triggered it fine, once I manually connected it.

• @u0421793 said:
    Hmm, I just opened this again after ignoring it for an eon (not literally) and I revert what I said above nearly two years ago.

I consider it a good app for pathetic sounds. Now, that’s not a criticism. Sometimes you want your sounds to be strident and confident and bollock-grabbingly in your face. Sometimes, however, you want the enfeebled, the weak and timid, the sounds that lack confidence, are insecure and can’t keep a straight tone because they’re poorly and aren’t well. Sometimes you want a pathetic sound – purely for the atmosphere and feel. Sometimes you want your sounds to be a bit distant, can’t quite make it to the front row, and are a bit crumpled. Sometimes you want your sounds to remind you of an antique record playing toy which hasn’t been wound up fully, and is in another room anyway – possibly a haunted room, and there’s actually nothing in there, yet you heard it. Here it is – this app is how to make pathetic sounds that you’ll find highly useful. I think I’ll be paying it a bit more attention now.

Always (well, often) enjoy your posts. For myself, I enjoy this app and have never felt disappointment with it.