Fugue Machine Power Users?

I love Fugue Machine, but I'm frustrated by its limitations. Especially since Virsyn's ReSlice, I really wish FM could do more.

But maybe it can and I don't know it?
Can you set different loop lengths in Fugue Machine for each voice, as you can in ReSlice?
Can you somehow (using AUM, maybe?) apply different effects to the voices in FM?
Can you switch between patterns in FM?

I love this app, but it seems it's capable of so much more. Anybody have great tricks?

Comments

• The loop length is the same for all playheads but the rate at which they play back can be set as a multiple or fraction of the base tempo and you can offset when it starts. You can use this to setup polyrhythms.

The app will also accept and send MIDI program change messages to switch between patterns or to control other apps with them.

The audio out from the app is one signal and not output as different voices corresponding to the playheads so you can only apply effects to the combined audio output from Fugue Machine. It is certainly possible to use other synth apps in AUM with a different voice sent to each synth which can then be sent through effects. I use the audio out in Fugue Machine primarily to create patterns rather than to use as audio for playing or recording.

With many ReSlice arp settings, the number of keys you hold down at the same time determines which samples are played. You might want to try sending MIDI from Fugue Machine to ReSlice with and without the arp tracks off to see what sorts of results you get as well as filtering out the number and which MIDI channels you send to multiple instances of ReSlice in AUM.

• In the "awesome replies" department I'm noting down @InfoCheck. Thanks! :)

• @hellquist said:
    In the "awesome replies" department I'm noting down @InfoCheck. Thanks! :)

I'm stunned myself!
    Thanks.

• One trick I like to use is adjusting loop length and location on the fly— press and drag the start and end markers but don't let go until you're ready to start a new measure. Depending on how you set up the sequence, you can get a vastly different sound and feel, especially if you do it along with a base note change, and can create the bones of a complete song live if you're sending the multi-channel midi to a host.

• Patience he is about to have new app I hear.

• edited February 2017

@RustiK said:
    Patience he is about to have new app I hear.

That's interesting. Is this the sum of your knowledge or are you being coy? So not a Fugue Machine 1.3 (or 2.0, or wherever we are), but an entirely different app?

• @aaronpc @ExAsperis99 thank you. I've been enjoying ReSlice and Fugue Machine so I thought I'd share what worked for me.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@RustiK said:
    Patience he is about to have new app I hear.

That's interesting. Is this the sum of your knowledge or are you being coy? So not a Fugue Machine 1.3 (or 2.0, or wherever we are), but an entirely different app?

According to Alexander himself via FB there is something new cooking. Now you know as much as most of us. Given that he has more apps he might get around to feature adding of older apps, but like most 1-man-dev-shops I'm guessing he has to prioritise with limited time. That is just me guessing though.

• It would be great if we could change the chord shift / transpose with a midi note #. This way we could program variations with an external sequencer. That's actually where I see FM becoming more of a serious instrument, is in greater midi control over tempo subdivisions, and transposition.

Anybody know if Alexander is still working on FM, or planning any updates?

• @aleyas said:
    It would be great if we could change the chord shift / transpose with a midi note #.

>

+1

Fugue Machine was and remains one of the standout IOS music apps, in terms of imagination. If Alexander developed version 2 with lots more functionality, I think very many of us would instant buy!

• +1 for fugue machine update features, i love that app

• All it needs is the ability for one channel to transpose the other channels. I’ve been saying this since the day I bought it and discovered to my astoundment that it doesn’t even do that!

• I saw arps mentioned earlier and it got me thinking about how to use them with Fugue Machine.
    The basic problem is arps usually need a few keys held down at once, however not always.

Got around that problem with Sunrizer which has a cool arp that is like a mini step sequencer so holding 1 key can play a multi-note riff. Getting some cool results with the experiment so far.

• @u0421793 said:
    All it needs is the ability for one channel to transpose the other channels. I’ve been saying this since the day I bought it and discovered to my astoundment that it doesn’t even do that!

That would be an excellent feature.

• I haven’t been able to figure out what FM’s midi input is for. Only program changes? I saw something in another thread about midi in transposing, but I don’t know what that means. Truly even without knowing that, there’s a ton you can do with FM. And if you send midi out to an Arpeggist or Rozeta Collider, then route those on to a synth, some very interesting results!