Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Covers Club - February 2017

What is the Covers Club?

It's a place where musicians come to give and receive feedback on their cover versions. Anyone is welcome, whatever their level of ability.

The spirit of the club is to contribute: if you submit a song for others to comment on, you should also have the courtesy to listen to everyone else's contributions and give as much feedback as possible. Posting a track and not listening and commenting on others is not cool.

The purpose of feedback is to be honest. Essentially you should give your truthful impressions of the song, whether good or bad. Negative feedback, if done in the right spirit and with courtesy, can be the most useful and can help the artist to grow and improve and correct their mistakes.

All submissions are welcome, don't hesitate if you want to contribute.

We ask that you only post one song per month in this thread - if you're lucky enough to be able to produce more, then please just submit your strongest material.

Comments

• I'll go first then:

• edited February 2017

@richardyot 34 seconds, the scratchy loyalty, THAT'S singing :) Very good. Of course I'm biased because for a long time (still, maybe?) this was my favorite Bobby D. song. Something about a girl who left etc. Usual story.

EDIT: Please call Emmylou, have her phone in some backing vocals. Thanks.

• edited February 2017

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @richardyot 34 seconds, the scratchy loyalty, THAT'S singing :) Very good. Of course I'm biased because for a long time (still, maybe?) this was my favorite Bobby D. song. Something about a girl who left etc. Usual story.

EDIT: Please call Emmylou, have her phone in some backing vocals. Thanks.

Thanks. Whenever I try and call Emmylou it always goes straight through to voicemail, I leave messages but she isn't returning my calls.

It's also one of my favourite Dylan songs, although it probably has to take second place to Like A Rolling Stone, just because. While Like A Rolling Stone is all bitterness and spite, this one one is full of mystery and the lyrics are really beautifully evocative.

If I was to give out a crit to myself in the same style as I do on SOTMC I would probably say that it's a decent enough cover in that I've put my own stamp on it with the synth sounds, but the pacing is a bit on the plodding side (sounds like a march as Keith Richards would say) and the vocals while OK don't quite pull it off IMO. The weird and oppressive atmosphere works well enough though.

• Recycled from a thread last month to where it should be. Sorry Joe, just a little bit -a. :)

• @Bluepunk I see you made some adaptations to the early 80s classic, I don't recall hearing the profanity in the original, but if any song was really begging for the f-bomb then I guess it really had to be this one.

It's a short burst of spite with a bizarrely incongruous Bontempi organ backing. What happened to powerchords and distorted guitars? Where are the fucking drums man? IS THIS WHAT YOU CALL PUNK ROCK?

It's short and to the point though, and it does bring a smile to the face, thanks to the choice of song and the Bluepunk treatment.

• @richardyot Thanks gaffer. Yes, thought that may be a shock. Back to Guitarism now for SOTMC. 30 seconds of trying out synths and I'm spent. One of the positive aspects (many, particularly helping others now) of wasting many years abusing drugs is, I'm discovering new (old) artists that perhaps, I should've known about before, or should I? Heard of those artists yes, but never felt the pang to get into their music.

Have played the original to gauge, and to these virgin lugs, it appears that they've covered YOU! So much better. Those vox practices are most definitely paying dividends. Wow. So damn clear and the confidence I hear, is blasting through. Really. Best vocal Richard. Love the bass drum pattern in the chorus. Especially the first line section. It is different than in the second. Cool. Your version is the only one I know. All others will be compared to this in my black book. :)

• @richardyot, very nice indeed! Didn't know this song, but I like your version a lot vocals are cool (reminds me of Roger Waters a bit). Love the trippy arrangement.

• @Bluepunk, don't know this song either but it made me happy. Especially the last line.

• @Bootsy (and perhaps more understandably @Bluepunk ) you had never heard the classic by Bob Dylan?

It's on the mid-70s album Desire, which also has another classic in "Hurricane". Go listen to it now! :)

Sadly it's not available on YouTube, I think Dylan is quite hot on controlling his catalogue, but track it down and listen to it. And after that listen to the follow-up album Blood On The Tracks.

I'm not the world's biggest Dylan fan by any stretch, but there some things that everyone should hear B)

• @richardyot said:
    @Bootsy (and perhaps more understandably @Bluepunk ) you had never heard the classic by Bob Dylan?

It's on the mid-70s album Desire, which also has another classic in "Hurricane". Go listen to it now! :)

Sadly it's not available on YouTube, I think Dylan is quite hot on controlling his catalogue, but track it down and listen to it. And after that listen to the follow-up album Blood On The Tracks.

I'm not the world's biggest Dylan fan by any stretch, but there some things that everyone should hear B)

I know it's shameful. I am becoming a big Dylan fan as I get on in life. But I find out about more of his songs by other people covering them. Then I like to do a cover of the cover.

• Are you going to be submitting any covers of your own this month @Bootsy?

• @richardyot, I don't have anything new, just a bunch of Shiite i did a while back.

• I think it's ok to post something you did a while back, that's what most people did when I started this in December.

The idea is to get some discussion going, exchange ideas etc. And of course provide motivation to create new work.

• @richardyot said:
    I think it's ok to post something you did a while back, that's what most people did when I started this in December.

The idea is to get some discussion going, exchange ideas etc. And of course provide motivation to create new work.

Scared to commit to making a cover because that bloke in the SOMTC says he needs all my attention. I've always been a serial-monogamist....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@richardyot said:
    I think it's ok to post something you did a while back, that's what most people did when I started this in December.

Scared to commit to making a cover because that bloke in the SOMTC says he needs all my attention. I've always been a serial-monogamist....

It's tricky trying to juggle both balls, that's for sure.

• Was at a WI meeting at young Margaret's house today to discuss flour. As we swiftly, shifty sifted (football was due) I found it comforting that she had selected the most therapeutic of soundtracks to assist us all in doing the job correctly. Hadn't heard it for years. "Peters and Lee, Welcome home." Can't wait to completely fuck that one up. Big time Ceril. :)

"Come on in..... and close the door." Yeah, then nail down it please. Truly dreadful tune. :)

• Ok @richardyot, I just didn't want to get in trouble again. :) Here is a cover of Tom Waits Green Grass. On Ukulele.

• @richardyot said:
    @Bootsy (and perhaps more understandably @Bluepunk ) you had never heard the classic by Bob Dylan?

True about Dylan being very diligent about scrubbing his presence on YouTube.
    Gawd, I guess he will use some of that Nobel $$$ to hire even more content monitors!
    By the way, I enjoyed your cover.

• ...wrong category...

• @Bootsy Beautiful. Gentle. Honey. Ah man, you are super talented sir. Outstanding performance on a tune I hadn't heard before. I doubt the original could send warm, comforting cwtches throughout my body like your tender version does. Will you please visit us all down in the hot tub at SOTMC? Love to hear some of your music and maybe you could throw some private singing lessons in at the same time as well. Would learn a lot from you. Need any drumming done? Cheers. :) Stunning Bootsy, stunning.

• Here is a cover of some vintage rock I did a couple years ago. A song from a band called Sugarloaf back in 1970. Had to use the "wayback" machine on this one!

• @Fasteddie said:
    Here is a cover of some vintage rock I did a couple years ago. A song from a band called Sugarloaf back in 1970. Had to use the "wayback" machine on this one!

Wow, that IS from the wayback machine and good quality recording equipment you had back there also... :) I am always a sucker for the organ sounds in this style. What did you use on this one for that?

While I believe Sugerloaf were from somewhere west of the Mississippi, this sound always reminds me of driving around southern New Hampshire with Mrs. Goodyear where (according to her) they play exactly the same Southern Rock on the radio now as they did when she was growing up there in the seventies...

• Oh, so you don't want pictures of me in my pajamas under my covers with my iPad making music?

My bad, that is the Slumber Song Club.

Ok.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Wow, that IS from the wayback machine and good quality recording equipment you had back there also... :) I am always a sucker for the organ sounds in this style. What did you use on this one for that?

While I believe Sugerloaf were from somewhere west of the Mississippi, this sound always reminds me of driving around southern New Hampshire with Mrs. Goodyear where (according to her) they play exactly the same Southern Rock on the radio now as they did when she was growing up there in the seventies...

True that ! I grew up in southern New Hampshire in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's . . . hey wait, I'm still here! Still playing in the same band from the 70's too (Aces & Eights). And yes, NH still has a couple stations hanging on to that era.

I used the Nord Electro 4D for the B3 and Clav sounds.

• @Fasteddie said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

True that ! I grew up in southern New Hampshire in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's . . . hey wait, I'm still here! Still playing in the same band from the 70's too (Aces & Eights). And yes, NH still has a couple stations hanging on to that era.

I used the Nord Electro 4D for the B3 and Clav sounds.

Fame, in all its forms, is a strange beast :) As is coincidence. Mrs. Goodyear is sure she saw Aces & Eights play at her father's company in Milford a thousand years ago....

• edited February 2017

?> @JohnnyGoodyear said:

Fame, in all its forms, is a strange beast :) As is coincidence. Mrs. Goodyear is sure she saw Aces & Eights play at her father's company in Milford a thousand years ago....

I'll take all I can get. It's very rare these days.
    This is a very cool discussion page started by Richardyot. I really like the Audiobus forum and all it's benefits including bonus ones like these (curious about the Milford connection as that is where I live). Always been an observer on Audiobus but just joined today.

Will you be posting any new tunes soon? (love your work)

• @Fasteddie said:

?> @JohnnyGoodyear said:

I'll take all I can get. It's very rare these days.
    This is a very cool discussion page started by Richardyot. I really like the Audiobus forum and all it's benefits including bonus ones like these (curious about the Milford connection as that is where I live). Always been an observer on Audiobus but just joined today.

Will you be posting any tunes soon?

Well, I struggle to post at SOMTC (https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/17207/song-of-the-month-club-february-2017) every month, but feel a moral (!) requirement to do so and thus this new girl on the block might take me a while to get into. To be honest, I'm also one of those guys who wonders why people do 'straight' covers of great songs, but I don't seem to have the wit to pick out the diamonds in the rough that are just waiting for reinvention. But.....yeah, working on something in the back room...we'll see.

As for Milford, I've been there a number of times, usually passing through either to Amherst or more often to Hollis. Not so much recently since we left Maine for Austin, but I love New England (it reminds me of Olde England, well, certainly more than Texas does :)) and its people have been good to me. Mrs. Goodyear still has family in the area, so we'll always be back...she sends you her mysterious regards, by the way :) In other news; welcome to the forum...

• No mystery, tell J I said hello. Some of my most memorable times working with her dad for 23 years at that Milford company you mentioned. This one definitely goes down in the "small world" record books :) .

• @Bluepunk said:
    @Bootsy Beautiful. Gentle. Honey. Ah man, you are super talented sir. Outstanding performance on a tune I hadn't heard before. I doubt the original could send warm, comforting cwtches throughout my body like your tender version does. Will you please visit us all down in the hot tub at SOTMC? Love to hear some of your music and maybe you could throw some private singing lessons in at the same time as well. Would learn a lot from you. Need any drumming done? Cheers. :) Stunning Bootsy, stunning.

Wow! @bluepunk. Thank you, much appreciated but not worthy. I hadn't heard the song before either but there was a version by Cibelle in a movie that moved me deeply. I looked it up and gave it a shot.. love Tom Waits! Thanks again, your voice is crazy amazing btw!