Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Caustic 3.2

Comments

• @RockySmalls said:
    well, until you've spent several months with this app any opinion should be held by the tongue ( and seriously it will take you more than that to discover all the hidden beauty in this app. just the modular synth alone and the things you can do routing stuff through it!... arggh I shouldn't even start I would be here for ever.. ) even though its supposed to be an android app this thing is at its very best in ios on an ipad.. look past the look ( utilitarian, which i actually like ) .. I still can't believe that korg got away with ripping this app off for the gadget concept .. and nobody noticed!!
    ( glad they did of course... love that gadget shineyness also )
    anyways.. its been a long wait, Rej has had some trials and probably this should have been out 6 months ago... I'm still in shock that it's here, no warning, very korg :) .. but at least it means I can swap 3.2 files with friends now and my beta isn't stuck on the one ipad..
    watch the tutorial vids.. it'll get you 25% of the way in ... the rest.. is a journey.
    it's a deceptive fish... it looks like plain cod... but there are lobster and prawn flavours ready to assault yr palate...
    this is indeed an historic day... so historic the single cell software site has crashed.. shame... all those nifty presets lurking there.. waiting for a simple command :
    "OPEN SESAMIN!”

Nicely done.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@RockySmalls said:
    well, until you've spent several months with this app any opinion should be held by the tongue ( and seriously it will take you more than that to discover all the hidden beauty in this app. just the modular synth alone and the things you can do routing stuff through it!... arggh I shouldn't even start I would be here for ever.. ) even though its supposed to be an android app this thing is at its very best in ios on an ipad.. look past the look ( utilitarian, which i actually like ) .. I still can't believe that korg got away with ripping this app off for the gadget concept .. and nobody noticed!!
    ( glad they did of course... love that gadget shineyness also )
    anyways.. its been a long wait, Rej has had some trials and probably this should have been out 6 months ago... I'm still in shock that it's here, no warning, very korg :) .. but at least it means I can swap 3.2 files with friends now and my beta isn't stuck on the one ipad..
    watch the tutorial vids.. it'll get you 25% of the way in ... the rest.. is a journey.
    it's a deceptive fish... it looks like plain cod... but there are lobster and prawn flavours ready to assault yr palate...
    this is indeed an historic day... so historic the single cell software site has crashed.. shame... all those nifty presets lurking there.. waiting for a simple command :
    "OPEN SESAMIN!”

Nicely done.

Dang. I hear Andy Samberg channelling Nick Cage: "that's high praise."

I've had this app for a long time, messed around with it only a little. Time to take it back out the garage for a spin. And the other comments make me wonder if this isn't just what the doc ordered to finally cure my MIDIphobia...

• OMMMMGGGGGG it's out?!?!?! What a nice surprise!

I want to update immediately but important question: should I back up all my project files first or will they convert over intact?

• edited February 2017

Caustic has been on my radar for a while, but I didn't bite since it hadn't been updated in some time. And now it has. The primer videos by the dev are excellent, from what I recall. And isn't there a pretty robust sampler as part of the package too?
    Plus, that crazy, kitschy 8-bit design vibe is actually starting to look kind of cool!

• Sampler is awesome I've heard!

• What's new in Caustic 3.2:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVXrk...

Merge rack to instrument in Caustic 3.2

SawSynth Tutorial:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2_mA...

New effects for 3.2:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epMWR...

Wave Editor improvements for 3.2:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL_Uu...

Scales and time signatures in Caustic 3.2:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rm2E...

• Seriously, where would my $9.99 be better spent (outside the ACLU, obviously...)?

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Seriously, where would my $9.99 be better spent (outside the ACLU, obviously...)?

what most people don't realize is caustic literally has a free desktop/mac version. that is pretty much
    the Ios/Android app emulated on pc/mac. you can go give it a try. if you like it only then go grab the ios version.
    i actually am using the desktop app right now to sequence midi clips that im feeding into ableton. the sequencer is soooooo smooth for making midi clips :D

you can find the pc/mac version here:- http://www.singlecellsoftware.com/caustic
    just scroll down.

• Very very nice. Congrats @Rej!

• I deleted Caustic ages ago for one reason only - the lack of stereo sample support in PCMSynth. If it had stereo sampling, it'd be THE best sf2 player in the appstore (amongst all the other synths and such it has in it).

NOW, I redownloaded it and dumped all my soundfonts and sample packs into the respective directories. IT JUST WORKS! Then I found some really amazing stuff.

-Stem export to Audioshare?
    -MIDI export to Audioshare?

BOOM! Improved workflow thanks to all of this. Thanks @Rej

• The fact that Caustic can load Soundfonts makes it very Flexible.

• Best app ever made for my purposes. This and Egoist are going to make whoopy tonight. Thanks Mr Forier.

• I think it's time to reward the developer with some good App Store reviews :)

• So are you limited to 14 instrument sounds per song or just per pattern? Big difference

• @Hex047 said:
    The fact that Caustic can load Soundfonts makes it very Flexible.

It can also load .instr files from FL Studio Directwave export?! :open_mouth: I just tested this out with the Mellotron Preset. Am shocked!

• @db909 said:
    So are you limited to 14 instrument sounds per song or just per pattern? Big difference

In 1 Beatbox you can load 8 different samples, which is how i sometimes use it. 14 beatboxes with 8 sounds a piece means you can load, hmmmm, computing, multiplying,............ a shit load of sounds.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Hex047 said:
    The fact that Caustic can load Soundfonts makes it very Flexible.

It can also load .instr files from FL Studio Directwave export?! :open_mouth: I just tested this out with the Mellotron Preset. Am shocked!

The secret sauce!

• Roll the dice on the 8 Bit Synth! B)

• Here's a question about the moving of files back and forth between iPad and PC: Uh, is it easy? Like, if I trim all my samples on my laptop in Caustic's excellent audio editor, can I make them semi-magically appear Caustic 3 on the iPad? And then (again, magically, through AudioShare) make them appear in various apps?

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Here's a question about the moving of files back and forth between iPad and PC: Uh, is it easy? Like, if I trim all my samples on my laptop in Caustic's excellent audio editor, can I make them semi-magically appear Caustic 3 on the iPad? And then (again, magically, through AudioShare) make them appear in various apps?

Another cool thing about Caustic is it has a built-in FTP server. Just put Filezilla or some such on your PC and you can move files back and forth easily. Caustic is also compatible with AS.

I use the Caustic FTP and the Readdle Documents app on my iPad to move Caustic files back and forth to Dropbox.

• The way I do it, is uploaded my projects to Dropbox, then Use audioshare to transfer them into Caustic.

• @anickt said:
    Roll the dice on the 8 Bit Synth! B)

Then roll it again and again.. :p

• well flagged on the dice rolling 8bit and the genius of ftp into Docs app within the same ipad @anickt
    @Hex047 might also like the fact that a simple zip file with a shed load of samples ftpeed into the pcm preset folder will automatically assign them to seperate keys on the keyboard.. you don't even need to build soundfonts if you name octave split samples correctly with the notes etc and zip em up, load em up, it will assign them across the keyboard properly.. even if you feel unsure about the synths this thing is now super strong on sampling with a sound editor worthy of a stand alone and the rack merge feature etc .. oh... & c-sfxer!
    nice bit of excitement to keep us all from wondering what Korg are up to...
    Tempo/bpm automation! are the Korg spies tuned in I wonder? :)

• @RockySmalls said:
    well flagged on the dice rolling 8bit and the genius of ftp into Docs app within the same ipad @anickt
    @Hex047 might also like the fact that a simple zip file with a shed load of samples ftpeed into the pcm preset folder will automatically assign them to seperate keys on the keyboard.. you don't even need to build soundfonts if you name octave split samples correctly with the notes etc and zip em up, load em up, it will assign them across the keyboard properly.. even if you feel unsure about the synths this thing is now super strong on sampling with a sound editor worthy of a stand alone and the rack merge feature etc .. oh... & c-sfxer!

The more you dig the more you find! Like you said - spend some time with it!

• @anickt .. are you aware of any refinements that are in this official ios release that might not be in the very last beta? is it just presets from jason?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    What's new in Caustic 3.2:

Merge rack to instrument in Caustic 3.2

SawSynth Tutorial:

New effects for 3.2:

Wave Editor improvements for 3.2:

Scales and time signatures in Caustic 3.2:

Fixed the links. Not even sure how they got mangled like that, but I'm pretty sure a computer is to blame some where

• @RockySmalls said:
    well flagged on the dice rolling 8bit and the genius of ftp into Docs app within the same ipad @anickt
    @Hex047 might also like the fact that

_a simple zip file with a shed load of samples ftpeed into the pcm preset folder will automatically assign them to seperate keys on the keyboard.. you don't even need to build soundfonts if you name octave split samples correctly with the notes etc and zip em up, load em up, it will assign them across the keyboard properly.. _

even if you feel unsure about the synths this thing is now super strong on sampling with a sound editor worthy of a stand alone and the rack merge feature etc .. oh... & c-sfxer!

OK, WHATNOW?

• Made a preset for the PCM synth using the new "merge rack to instrument feature". It contains 4 instruments !
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/3y1rev9g1vb2pty/AB1.pcmsynth?dl=0

• Also another tip is to launch the ftp server inside Caustic and connect with a freeware FTP app. Connect to Caustic and you can share ,upload etc... all inside your iOS device, no PC needed!

• @RockySmalls said:
    @anickt .. are you aware of any refinements that are in this official ios release that might not be in the very last beta? is it just presets from jason?

I haven't had a good look at the release yet but my understanding is they are the same except a few minor bug fixes.