Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: New App: Comic Draw

edited January 2017 in Other

Anyone using this new app:

http://plasq.com/apps/comicdraw/ios/

I only just downloaded it, but looks good so far: traditional comic workflow (pencil sketch, inking/coloring, lettering), nice layout, good set of tools (panel guides, perspective guides, layers, scriptwriting), and more (still exploring).

Much more robust and professional than anything I've seen on the AppStore so far for comic book making. Though again, I've only just gotten into it, so can't say it's the be all end all.

Just a heads up, for sequential artists and comic enthusiasts out there.

Comments

• This is proving to be a nice drawing app just generally speaking, especially for layouts with the panel and perspective guides. You can do a ton of stuff with it. Pretty cool.

• Good to know, thanks. Are you using the Apple Pencil with it?

• Nice find! I like how they separate sketching from painting&inking etc. and being able to test the complete app for two weeks is also very welcome. I did not think I needed a specific comic drawing app but this looks like a well thought out app.

• Looks good. Wish I had the time to create some comic artwork, if I did I'd get this.

• edited January 2017

Nice app, but it does not appear to support print resolution? Only 72 dpi it seems, even in the presets based on print sizes. That would make it more a sketchbook than a production tool.

edit: internal measurements are low res for some reason, but exported images actually are high res

• @richardyot said:
    Good to know, thanks. Are you using the Apple Pencil with it?

No, but according to the manual (free through iBooks) it has some Apple Pencil settings. Not sure how that works, never used Apple Pencil.

@nick said:
    Nice app, but it does not appear to support print resolution? Only 72 dpi it seems, even in the presets based on print sizes. That would make it more a sketchbook than a production tool.

edit: internal measurements are low res for some reason, but exported images actually are high res

This is the one thing I was wondering about: final production. Thing is they put so much into it, I have to think they took final products into consideration. The app also serves as a reader. I also noticed it has PDF export. Haven't looked into that much. Like MonzoPro, just not sure I'll have the time to produce much with it, still cool to have though.

• Man, it's crazy how deep this app is, a lot of stuff tucked away. Check out the lettering options ("ABC" at the top, then add text, select text and tap the brush icon in the upper right) where you can spread the or stagger the glyphs, add fill colors and patterns, and more.

Not even sure this is off topic anymore, for anyone looking to album cover art, etc.

• edited January 2017

+1 for album cover art

I was also thinking comic draw later combined with lumafusion would be a cool video. Think AHA or Gorillaz. Except mine would be stick figures.

• Definitely going to snag this when I upgrade to a Pro

• @Gaia.Tree said:
    Definitely going to snag this when I upgrade to a Pro

There's an expiration date on this deal.

• By the way @1P18 thanks very much for the heads up on this app, very sweet feature set.

• @decibelle said:

@Gaia.Tree said:
    Definitely going to snag this when I upgrade to a Pro

There's an expiration date on this deal.

Good looking out, will grab Ahead of time

• edited January 2017

@MonzoPro said:
    Looks good. Wish I had the time to create some comic artwork, if I did I'd get this.

Yes, comic books are one of the most time-consuming things you could ever produce. I started one 3 years ago, I would love to finish it before I die, but I would need at least six months full-time to do so, and that's just not financially viable.

http://itchy-animation.co.uk/gideongray/

http://itchy-animation.co.uk/gideongray/gideongray.htm

• @richardyot said:

@MonzoPro said:
    Looks good. Wish I had the time to create some comic artwork, if I did I'd get this.

Yes, comic books are one of the most time-consuming things you could ever produce. I started one 3 years ago, I would love to finish it before I die, but I would need at least six months full-time to do so, and that's just not financially viable.

Looks really good!
    I'm half expecting the ubiquitous hero to come along and save the day ...

... Is it a bird?
    ... Is it a plane?

... No ... It's ...

The Therapist

I hope I get to find out what happens next and how it turns out in the end.

Fantastic premise, beautifully presented, I haz an admire. :)

• @richardyot said:

@MonzoPro said:

That's good work Richard, shame you don't have the time to continue with it. I guess like me it'd have to be done in your free time, which like mine, is taken up with this music lark!

I scratch my cartoony/illustration itches by creating covers for my tracks, these are knocked up in a range of free apps I've accumulated over the years. Fun, and relatively quick to do, but I'd love to give the old Wacom tablet more of a workout.

• @richardyot said:

@MonzoPro said:

Great immediately-draws-you-in concept.

• Thanks. Maybe one day it will get finished. I still like the idea despite the fact it's a few years old (and that's not always the case).

@decibelle LOL, no therapist in sight, just one bloke coming to terms with his pointless life and the fact he's a bit of a loser, kinda favourite theme of mine (talking of therapists, but of course it's not, er, autobiographical). I'm fascinated by human fallibility.

• @richardyot said:
    Thanks. Maybe one day it will get finished. I still like the idea despite the fact it's a few years old (and that's not always the case).

@decibelle LOL, no therapist in sight, just one bloke coming to terms with his pointless life and the fact he's a bit of a loser, kinda favourite theme of mine (talking of therapists, but of course it's not, er, autobiographical). I'm fascinated by human fallibility.

I think you could gather a small fan base (at least) if you published a page each month (or even every other month) ...
    do you have the script or story already finished or do you develop it as you go?

• @richardyot said:
    Thanks. Maybe one day it will get finished. I still like the idea despite the fact it's a few years old (and that's not always the case).

Well of course, Super The Therapist (aka Dr The Therapist)'s Speshul Soopah Powahz™ include
    ... overtime responsive listening
    ... extra feelgood hand holding
    ... backpat pat there there-ing
    ... covertly quiet yet punctual UNBILLING

See? Obviously not based on any person living or dead any similarity is purel coincidental I wasn't there nobody saw me the witnesses all ran away I mean there weren't any you can prove NUFFINK kthxbye.

:tongue:

• @nick said:

@richardyot said:

I think you could gather a small fan base (at least) if you published a page each month (or even every other month) ...
    do you have the script or story already finished or do you develop it as you go?

I have the story pretty much fully fleshed out - just not the time to do those time-consuming drawings. SOTMC and practising singing and guitar that up every minute of my spare time unfortunately. Having to work for a living really gets in the way of all the other stuff I want to do :)

• Sequential art is a challenging medium. Besides the time it takes, there's also aspect of the whole "writing with pictures" and "drawing with words" thing. It's funny because I've seen very few artists, even professionals in the business, who fully understand writing with pictures. The only guy I've seen who does it on a regular basis is Jason:

If you can reduce the time it takes in doing the drawings, I actually think it probably helps with the writing with pictures. I've never been able to get to the state where that type of writing flows. Maybe this app will help.

• I used to make simple, crappy-looking comics in highschool, but I used to always try to tell the story with actions first, dialogue second. I remember like it was yesterday. When scripting a comic, first figure out a simple plot/theme using a plot development device (beginning where things are normal, a problem that's introduced, and the solution). Write out the actions first, whether it's lifting something, or one character punches the other, or a facial expression, etc. If dialogue is truly needed, keep it minimal. This is the first draft.

Second draft is refinement, adding more dialogue if necessary, etc. Third draft is actually drawing the thing.

This app is pretty cool for the most part, but it does have one major shortcoming. There's no support for the Wacom Fineline stylus (nor other Bluetooth styli). It's like people assume they can get away with only Apple Pencil support and that should be sufficient when in fact many of us still have iPad Air 2's that function just fine, lol.

• Don't tempt me. I bought ComicStudio and a Wacom tablet 7 or 8 years ago and drew under a dozen pictured on it. :/

• @pichi said:
    Don't tempt me. I bought ComicStudio and a Wacom tablet 7 or 8 years ago and drew under a dozen pictured on it. :/

One of the nice things about the iPad is the robust quantity of apps at a more than reasonable price. Helps with any buyer's remorse.

• @1P18 said:

@pichi said:
    Don't tempt me. I bought ComicStudio and a Wacom tablet 7 or 8 years ago and drew under a dozen pictured on it. :/

One of the nice things about the iPad is the robust quantity of apps at a more than reasonable price. Helps with any buyer's remorse.

Indeed. 10 bucks for a top app vs 400 or so. Still, must be careful not to go down the rabbit hole...

• @pichi said:

@1P18 said:

@pichi said:

Indeed. 10 bucks for a top app vs 400 or so. Still, must be careful not to go down the rabbit hole...

This one has a two week trial. Though I suppose that might equate to going down the rabbit hole for some.

Another music related function for this app: Posters for live shows.

• edited February 2017

@1P18 said:
    Sequential art is a challenging medium. Besides the time it takes, there's also aspect of the whole "writing with pictures" and "drawing with words" thing. It's funny because I've seen very few artists, even professionals in the business, who fully understand writing with pictures. The only guy I've seen who does it on a regular basis is Jason:

If you can reduce the time it takes in doing the drawings, I actually think it probably helps with the writing with pictures. I've never been able to get to the state where that type of writing flows. Maybe this app will help.

The way the app separates the text from the drawing (then dragged over later) is an interesting touch, and might make the writing part easier.

Very well thought out app. If I hadn't started painting again, which really eats into my free time, I'd have this one and go for it.