Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Want more split screen?

This is big news for those of us who use split screen view for live gigs. MIDI designer is going split screen:

http://mididesigner.com/mdp2-v2-8-announce-multitasking/

Comments

• Halaluyah!

Been waiting for this for a long time.

Unfortunately, i've completely forgotten why I wanted it.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    This is big news for those of us who use split screen view for live gigs. MIDI designer is going split screen:

http://mididesigner.com/mdp2-v2-8-announce-multitasking/

Short answer -if there is one- of what MIDI designer can add/bring for any of us who are not live players?

• I am very happy to hear about this also. My first idea is a live looping controller for ThumbJam. TJ has extensive midi controls for looping, might be fun to tinker with.

• Ive felt like the biggest detriment to split screen is itself. Top/bottom arrangement would have allowed for every landscape to have native split screen support. Oh well, What we do have is better than nothing at all.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

Short answer -if there is one- of what MIDI designer can add/bring for any of us who are not live players?

MD has MIDI controller templates for many popular apps. This split screen feature would allow you to have an app open on one side (assuming it is supported) and a MIDI controller for that app or any other running in background on the other side. Thumbjam is supported, for instance.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

MD has MIDI controller templates for many popular apps. This split screen feature would allow you to have an app open on one side (assuming it is supported) and a MIDI controller for that app or any other running in background on the other side. Thumbjam is supported, for instance.

Aha....got it. Have just been having my quarterly 'by gum how do I keep forgetting how good ThumbJam is' session, so may take a look...

• @Hmtx said:
    Ive felt like the biggest detriment to split screen is itself. Top/bottom arrangement would have allowed for every landscape to have native split screen support. Oh well, What we do have is better than nothing at all.

I have thought of this too. I'm not a developer but my guess is that Apple was thinking about the iPhone orientation and universal apps when thinking about this.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Aha....got it. Have just been having my quarterly 'by gum how do I keep forgetting how good ThumbJam is' session, so may take a look...

AB remote also works in split screen mode. I'm hoping more apps support it moving forward. Loopy would be at the top of my list.

• @Hmtx said:
    I am very happy to hear about this also. My first idea is a live looping controller for ThumbJam. TJ has extensive midi controls for looping, might be fun to tinker with.

Did not know this! I will definitely check it out.

• Did you guys know of other music apps that support split screen?

• edited January 2017

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Hmtx said:
    Ive felt like the biggest detriment to split screen is itself. Top/bottom arrangement would have allowed for every landscape to have native split screen support. Oh well, What we do have is better than nothing at all.

I have thought of this too. I'm not a developer but my guess is that Apple was thinking about the iPhone orientation and universal apps when thinking about this.

When one think about it, apple is such a retarded business regarding those kind of things. 12.9" devices have already the native resolution for 2 apps in either landscape or portrait mode.
    They must be keeping it for a next ios version that will only run on the latest new ipad they have in their sleeve since years, and kept there to make everybody that bought 12.9 pros already, assuming 2 apps would OBVIOUSLY come with it, to buy an other one! Tada! Apple is an illusionist having us looking at what seemed obvious, but tricked everyone $$$!

• I wish I could run any amp sim split screen with loopy or anything else really. Unfortunately they all seem to be landscape mode on iPad, except for AmpKit, which I don't expect to get any improvements since I bought the complete enchilada with all future additions...

• @Philippe said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Hmtx said:
    Ive felt like the biggest detriment to split screen is itself. [...]

When one think about it,

Unfortunately, it works best for me if I just don't think about it, too frustrating.

• edited January 2017

@ugb1 said:
    Did you guys know of other music apps that support split screen?

I'm wondering the same. Some diligent, bored, or insane iMusician must've compiled a list.

I can offer a subset* based on what I have on my iPad Pro:

AudioShare
    ClappingMusic
    Different Drummer
    forScore
    Guitar Pro
    GuitarToolkit
    Henle Library
    Hokusai 2
    Medly
    Rooms!
    ScalePlay
    SoundCloud
    TC-11
    TC-Performer
    Tenuto
    ThumbJam
    TW Recorder
    TwistedWave

*NOTE: This is a list of apps that fall under the "Music" category in the App Store. They do not necessarily work with MIDI Designer.

• I think most people on these forum only consider music apps/ music creation when looking at this things. Understandable but short sighted. Besides this forum the requests for two apps in portrait mode are practically nonexistent. For most productivity/ content consumption and creation landscape makes the most sense.

And you're not even thinking on how it would work on real world situations.

Two apps in portrait mode means the headphone jack will be at the top and the lightning connector at the bottom (or viceversa)
    Let's say I connect a MIDI keyboard and a headphone jack that goes to the mixer, now I want to put my iPad on a stand, how would you do it without crushing either the headphone jack or The lightning adapter?. The only solution it's to put the iPad on a flat surface, no other solution works, it's either impossible or it has to many compromises and risks for a live show. Landscape works for everything.

Two iPad apps in portrait mode would make every accessory made for the smart connector, specially keyboards, useless, (I know most of you wouldn't care but it's important to consider the whole picture)

For two apps in portrait mode to make sense the headphone jack and the lightning port would have to be on the side as well as the speakers and the smart connector on the bottom and it would make two apps on landscape impossible to work.

And I'm not even getting into the major software changes that would be needed in order for this to work.

Apple can be criticized but what you're requesting makes no practical sense.
    I would rather criticize that's no way for developers to monetize this feature, giving them no reasons make their apps works with split screen, a lot of work and no financial gain.

• I'm going go:

Infinite Looper (driving any number of apps/hardware) split with MD (firing midi cc's at said apps/hardware)

Total control all from one screen.

I just wish Genome was split screen because of its amazing sequencer performance mode.

• I also really wish apple did spilt screen for iPhone.

• @kgmessier said:

@ugb1 said:

I'm wondering the same. Some diligent, bored, or insane iMusician must've compiled a list.

I can offer a subset* based on what I have on my iPad Pro:

AudioShare
    ClappingMusic
    Different Drummer
    forScore
    Guitar Pro
    GuitarToolkit
    Henle Library
    Hokusai 2
    Medly
    Rooms!
    ScalePlay
    SoundCloud
    TC-11
    TC-Performer
    Tenuto
    ThumbJam
    TW Recorder
    TwistedWave

*NOTE: This is a list of apps that fall under the "Music" category in the App Store. They do not necessarily work with MIDI Designer.

I made a list sometime ago: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/16097/apps-that-support-split-screen-view

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Halaluyah!

Been waiting for this for a long time.

Unfortunately, i've completely forgotten why I wanted it.

Haha! :D

• @Lacm1993 said:
    I think most people on these forum only consider music apps/ music creation when looking at this things. Understandable but short sighted. Besides this forum the requests for two apps in portrait mode are practically nonexistent. For most productivity/ content consumption and creation landscape makes the most sense.

Two apps in portrait mode means the headphone jack will be at the top and the lightning connector at the bottom (or viceversa)
    Let's say I connect a MIDI keyboard and a headphone jack that goes to the mixer, now I want to put my iPad on a stand, how would you do it without crushing either the headphone jack or The lightning adapter?. The only solution it's to put the iPad on a flat surface, no other solution works, it's either impossible or it has to many compromises and risks for a live show. Landscape works for everything.

Two iPad apps in portrait mode would make every accessory made for the smart connector, specially keyboards, useless, (I know most of you wouldn't care but it's important to consider the whole picture)

For two apps in portrait mode to make sense the headphone jack and the lightning port would have to be on the side as well as the speakers and the smart connector on the bottom and it would make two apps on landscape impossible to work.

And I'm not even getting into the major software changes that would be needed in order for this to work.

I would rather criticize that's no way for developers to monetize this feature, giving them no reasons make their apps works with split screen, a lot of work and no financial gain.

"No other solution works..."

You sure about that?

• edited January 2017

@Lacm1993 said:
    I think most people on these forum only consider music apps/ music creation when looking at this things. Understandable but short sighted. Besides this forum the requests for two apps in portrait mode are practically nonexistent. For most productivity/ content consumption and creation landscape makes the most sense. [...]

I either entirely agree or totally disagree ;-). (not sure which you are suggesting). Many iPad apps work best in landscape, which it seems you agree with. It's because of this that I'm saying Split screen would make the most sense if it allowed two landscape apps (one above the other).

And this ain't just musicians; I imagine every ipad owner would love the idea of holding their iPad in portrait and having a movie playing full width at the top of their screen, while doing any number of other activities on a landscape oriented app on the half of the screen below (browsing the web, checking email, even a game). But Apple won't let us do that.

• @ugb1 said:

LP-5

• Audulus, MidiFlow, Apollo midi over bluetooth, midiLFO's, Notion

• edited January 2017

@brice said:
    You sure about that?

Take that to a live show. Maybe if you are only a home musician... then it totally works.

• @Lacm1993 said:

@brice said:
    You sure about that?

Take that to a live show. Maybe if you are only a home musician... then it totally works.

Just give up, you bedroom nerds. There is no way to hold an iPad in portrait mode at a live show.

• @Lacm1993 said:

@brice said:
    You sure about that?

Okay, I will. There are numerous options for using an iPad in portrait mode in a live scenario. Some of them don't even require using your imagination or being inventive at all.

• @ksound said:

@Lacm1993 said:

@brice said:
    You sure about that?

Just give up, you bedroom nerds. There is no way to hold an iPad in portrait mode at a live show.

F I N E!

(Cancels tomorrow's gig at the local Dollar General)

• @ksound said:

@Lacm1993 said:

@brice said:
    You sure about that?

Jajaja, i have one of those!!!!

• @Lacm1993 said:
    I think most people on these forum only consider music apps/ music creation when looking at this things. Understandable but short sighted. Besides this forum the requests for two apps in portrait mode are practically nonexistent. For most productivity/ content consumption and creation landscape makes the most sense.

That must be the most elaborated short sighted thing I've ever read.
    Do you work for apple by any chance?

• edited January 2017

@Philippe said:

Two apps in portrait mode means the headphone jack will

Do you work for apple by any chance?

No.... I'm just a musician :smile: .