Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Phase84: Interview

We were lucky enough to interview the author of Phase84, our native hack master, Louis, about this distortion synth. He shared his thoughts with us on our blog. Phase84 is on sale this weekend for only $2.99. We share Louis' same dream – that you'd reach max funkitude while you pursue creative expression.

Comments

• It'd be even funkier with Audiobus support.

• No wonder stuff takes so long at Retronyms, they think its lucky if they can find one of their developers around to interview....

• @MonzoPro said:
    It'd be even funkier with Audiobus support.

+1

• Nice add.> @BiancaNeve said:

No wonder stuff takes so long at Retronyms, they think its lucky if they can find one of their developers around to interview....

lololololol

• edited January 2017

@BiancaNeve said:
    No wonder stuff takes so long at Retronyms, they think its lucky if they can find one of their developers around to interview....

har har, good one. Yes its a bit silly but he has been very busy working on a project and his time is very valuable, so we're just appreciative that he took some time to step away from that project and write about his beloved Phase84. :)

@MonzoPro said:

well noted...

-Eric

• edited January 2017

Is well noted similar to PO? Or, We will have that available in the upcoming update?

• Considering 'Digits' on which Phase84 is based on got an update in September last year I really hope the iOS version gets some love too. Maybe even AUv3 support? (Digits is AU & VST)
    http://www.extentofthejam.com

And well, I really have to link to a classic interview. It's an old Podcast where Luis demos Digits.

Respect to Luis for using Renoise to Demo the Plug-In :D

• @Retronyms said:
    We were lucky enough to interview the author of Phase84, our native hack master, Louis, about this distortion synth. He shared his thoughts with us on our blog. Phase84 is on sale this weekend for only $2.99. We share Louis' same dream – that you'd reach max funkitude while you pursue creative expression.

Main reason i don't touch any of your stuff is the lack of IAA or Audiobus in anything you guys make. Till Retronym apps can actually connect to the plethora of apps i already own i wouldn't use them even if they were free. Please don't take this as me trying to diss your apps. Its just me being blunt and applies to any app from any developer that doesn't want to play with others.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@Retronyms said:

Main reason i don't touch any of your stuff is the lack of IAA or Audiobus in anything you guys make. Till Retronym apps can actually connect to the plethora of apps i already own i wouldn't use them even if they were free. Please don't take this as me trying to diss your apps. Its just me being blunt and applies to any app from any developer that doesn't want to play with others.

And, er, this IS, you know, the Audiobus Forum etc.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Retronyms said:

And, er, this IS, you know, the Audiobus Forum etc.

That good sir is an EXCELLENT point :D

• This synth, as a synth, is interesting, for sure. Unfortunately I just don't see the ecosystem that Retronyms are going for as taking off. Tabletop is no Gadget regardless, on top of that there are some technical boxes left unchecked, already mentioned in this thread, but the real elephant in the room is that while everything else that's going to be relevant moving forward has gone universal, this is still iPad only. Apps, even ones like KORG's that can command a higher price point, only work with the economies of scale that come from not leaving money from iPhone users on the table (infer pun if you will). The chances of another closed system taking off besides Gadget are slim at this point. If Tabletop became a first class environment for hosting AU with the sequencer everyone dreams of and were universal, then I'd think Retronyms had a horse in the race. As it stands though I think even the dog food factory would take a pass. Particularly sad in this case, as Phase84 as a synth seems something special.

• At least Phase84 works as IAA-Instrument with AUM and Cubasis so it's not 'locked' to Tabletop.

• @Samu said:
    At least Phase84 works as IAA-Instrument with AUM and Cubasis so it's not 'locked' to Tabletop.

You can also use AUM to send IAA audio out to Audiobus as well.

There are also a number of AU apps that don't work in Audiobus that can have their audio routed out to Audiobus via AUM as well that have been the subject of threads on the forum.

• I think Tabletop was around aaaaages before Gadget came along. Pretty sure Gadget wouldnt have gained so much traction without the Korg brand behind it. Mind you it is kinda good so maybe.

• edited January 2017

Tabletop is a bit of a drunk uncle, but I let him stay in the basement, wheel him out once or twice a year and poke him with a stick. He's mostly good about it.

• the phase84 dev is a good dude, thanks for the interview....

what are your most urgent and immediate plans for the impc pro?

• @kobamoto said:
    the phase84 dev is a good dude, thanks for the interview....

what are your most urgent and immediate plans for the impc pro?

Don't scare him off Kobi

• I haven't used my ipod/phone for music creation/recording since I got my ipad. Messing around with some synths and a few other apps, but nothing like what I use my ipad for. It wouldn't bother me a bit if the ipad only apps I have stay that way. If they go universal, then that's cool.

• AUv3 support would be a good move then it will be Audiobus 3 compatible.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

+1

+99.999999999999r

Shame such a tasty sounding thing is still partially hobbled :/

• @Carnbot said:
    AUv3 support would be a good move then it will be Audiobus 3 compatible.

.???

• Assuming that AB3 will host AU3's.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Tabletop is a bit of a drunk uncle, but I let him stay in the basement, wheel him out once or twice a year and poke him with a stick. He's mostly good about it.

Yes, but it's about time he did something about those socks.

• it's already been confirmed AU support is coming in an update to AB.

• @Samu said:
    At least Phase84 works as IAA-Instrument with AUM and Cubasis so it's not 'locked' to Tabletop.

wait. it does ? might reconsider grabbing it then...

• The gate fx thing in this is brilliant

• @BiancaNeve said:
    I think Tabletop was around aaaaages before Gadget came along. Pretty sure Gadget wouldnt have gained so much traction without the Korg brand behind it. Mind you it is kinda good so maybe.

For what it's worth I had zero prior knowledge about audio brands before jumping into iOS audio. My entrance, I kid you not, was LOOPIMAL, cuz I wanted to play music with my boy. Auxy, Figure, Loopy, and SoundPrism followed. So Gadget just seemed like a slick package for doing more of that kind of stuff (well minus the audio recording, but yay, closing that gap). Now Loopy did lead me here. So perhaps I was indirectly influenced by brand loyalties. On the other hand a personal friend who I mentioned my music plans to and does have a bunch of audio experience (mostly desktop) mentioned Tabletop (that was the thing last time he took iOS seriously), and I still turned my nose up at it. Anyways, just my two cents for anyone trying to understand how the iOS music market will expand into the casual or consumer space. In full disclosure, I have to mention I'm a programmer by trade. So i saw the technical angle where a typical consumer may not. I'm sure I was influenced by seeing Link as very important. Gadget was on the Link list, Tabletop was not.

• @InfoCheck said:

@Samu said:

There are also a number of AU apps that don't work in Audiobus that can have their audio routed out to Audiobus via AUM as well that have been the subject of threads on the forum.

Yep, but unless I misunderstand, Tabletop does not expose individual instances of Phase84 to AUM in such a way that effects can be applied separately. So it seems a shame that Phase84 does support multiple instances, but only inside Tabletop. Given the release history, that might not have seemed like a bad idea at the time, but with the rise of AU it certainly does now. If an app vendor wants the consumer market they have to support iPhone. If they want the Pro market, they have to support AU. If there's an audio app that's still selling well in two years time that isn't at least one of those two types, you can make me eat these words.

• @srcer said:

@InfoCheck said:

@Samu said:

Yep, but unless I misunderstand, Tabletop does not expose individual instances of Phase84 to AUM in such a way that effects can be applied separately. So it seems a shame that Phase84 does support multiple instances, but only inside Tabletop. Given the release history, that might not have seemed like a bad idea at the time, but with the rise of AU it certainly does now. If an app vendor wants the consumer market they have to support iPhone. If they want the Pro market, they have to support AU. If there's an audio app that's still selling well in two years time that isn't at least one of those two types, you can make me eat these words.

I agree that we'd be better served if Retronym decide to support AU and Audiobus for their apps. I haven't used Tabletop for a couple of years, but back then it had a copy of the Retronym apps embedded in it which made Tabletop a huge download and used more space on your iPad as you had a seperate app too. The updates between the Tabletop version of an app and the app itself weren't always in sync either plus the consistent lack of Audiobus support didn't really seem to match my needs very well.