Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Synergy Studio update

I am very surprised to see Synergy Studio updated considering it has been years since the last update. Good to see the app is still alive because this was one of my favourite music making apps on iOS.

This new update contains latest version of Audiobus, iOS10 compatibility fixes and removal of WIST API due to lack of library updates.

Comments

• Yep. Thanks for the heads up.

• I'd forgotten all about this one.

• Looks fun if a little dated graphically (don't care), but is this doing anything (especially in the sequencing) better or differently to what the rest of us appaholics already have resident these days?

• edited January 2017

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Looks fun if a little dated graphically (don't care), but is this doing anything (especially in the sequencing) better or differently to what the rest of us appaholics already have resident these days?

Sequencer's a bit like TNR meets iSequence (the sampler and other features seem cribbed from Beepstreet, including a very deep and detailed arp that resembles Sunrizers, but deeper still)
    One interesting extra, Synergy has synergy: it exports multitrack audio stems directly into Meteor...so its sketch pad approach can be a starting point for fully fledged Meteor projects

I used to really dig the 4pockets stuff, glad there's some revival happening. (Though personally I occasionally reinstall Aurora, Synergy and Meteor, then uninstall)

A very gushy AppStore review of mine, re: Synergy + Meteor is I think still featured on the 4pockets site (which is now limelight) in which I say Meteor is better than Auria...(this pre- Auria Pro and its onboard instruments and midi tracks, but still, yikes!)

• @Littlewoodg said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Looks fun if a little dated graphically (don't care), but is this doing anything (especially in the sequencing) better or differently to what the rest of us appaholics already have resident these days?

Sequencer's a bit like TNR meets iSequence (the sampler and other features seem cribbed from Beepstreet, including a very deep and detailed arp that resembles Sunrizers, but deeper still)
    One interesting extra, Synergy has synergy: it exports multitrack audio stems directly into Meteor...so its sketch pad approach can be a starting point for fully fledged Meteor projects

I used to really dig the 4pockets stuff, glad there's some revival happening. (Though personally I occasionally reinstall Aurora, Synergy and Meteor, then uninstall)

A very gushy AppStore review of mine, re: Synergy + Meteor is I think still featured on the 4pockets site (which is now limelight) in which I say Meteor is better than Auria...(this pre- Auria Pro and its onboard instruments and midi tracks, but still, yikes!)

Thanks Mister. I did go ahead and buy it. I smell the beloved iSequence all over it (which is a good thing). Nice that even I could quickly figure out how to run the thing and have it play Module's piano rather than its own etc. Not perfect, but might be very good for me. I like to write melody lines like this. Pity I can't see a way to export the midi info, but the rest of the exporting is better than I thought and also had it working OK in AB. Never looked at Meteor and am guessing I don't need to now, but this looks as though it might be a good writing addition.

• If you have iSequence by Beepstreet how does it compare to Synergy. I just looked in the app store and the last update for iSequence was in 2014. Wondering how it runs in ios 10

• edited January 2017

@Arpseechord said:
    If you have iSequence by Beepstreet how does it compare to Synergy. I just looked in the app store and the last update for iSequence was in 2014. Wondering how it runs in ios 10

iSequence is still a champ - in 10 too. A different animal than Synergy...tier one.

• @Littlewoodg said:

@Arpseechord said:
    If you have iSequence by Beepstreet how does it compare to Synergy. I just looked in the app store and the last update for iSequence was in 2014. Wondering how it runs in ios 10

iSequence is still a champ - in 10 too. A different animal than Synergy...tier one.

Ah very good to know no issues in 10 for iSequence, thanks
    Oh course purchasing either or is my choice but if you were to choose? Or are both animals getting along in the kennel?

• edited January 2017

@Arpseechord said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@Arpseechord said:

Oh course purchasing either or is my choice but if you were to choose? Or are both animals getting along in the kennel?

As a policy I just buy everything...but iSequence I bought in 2010 and it's never been deleted, and is in use steadily.

It depends on what you like to do: Synergy has synths to play with, iSequence is sample based...a point by point comparison would be an essay, but if there's something in particular you are curious about, ask away, the experts here will weigh in. And if no experts show up I can always take a whack at it

• edited January 2017

@Littlewoodg said:

@Arpseechord said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@Arpseechord said:

As a policy I just buy everything...but iSequence I bought in 2010 and it's never been deleted, and is in use steadily.

It depends on what you like to do: Synergy has synths to play with, iSequence is sample based...a point by point comparison would be an essay, but if there's something in particular you are curious about, ask away, the experts here will weigh in. And if no experts show up I can always take a whack at it

" I just buy everything" nice strategy! I just bought iSequence now for a few reasons
    I had $30 in my itunes credit just aching to be spent and I needed a dopamine rush, two
    I was looking for a sequencer and like the idea of samples, three
    I watched some vids and read somes reviews about iSequence , fourth I have all other Beepstreet apps so why not complete the set,and finally
    The purchase may also inspire in its own little way the developer to keep the embers going for their apps...would love to see Pro Keys fully communicating with audiobus ( not sure about that one)etc....
    So now you can see my expertise at work lol :)

• @Arpseechord said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@Arpseechord said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@Arpseechord said:

" I just buy everything" nice strategy! I just bought iSequence now for a few reasons
    I had $30 in my itunes credit just aching to be spent and I needed a dopamine rush, two
    I watched some vids and read somes reviews about iSequence , fourth I have all other Beepstreet apps so why not complete the set,and finally
    The purchase may also inspire in its own little way the developer to keep the embers going for their apps...would love to see Pro Keys fully communicating with audiobus ( not sure about that one)etc....

iSequence still has the same perm, but I love her anyway. Have high hopes for this Synergy also. We'll see...perhaps we shall have to form a committee.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Arpseechord said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@Arpseechord said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@Arpseechord said:

iSequence still has the same perm, but I love her anyway. Have high hopes for this Synergy also. We'll see...perhaps we shall have to form a committee.

She's quite lovely dressed in gray with a touch of soft blue
    Since you have both you can share the delegating duties with Littlewoodg....I'll take notes and make the coffee
    Hope Synergy works out for ya....let us know

• Synergy Studio is one of the first DAWs I bought for iPad all those years ago. I really love the workflow on Synergy Studio and talking about iSequence, iSequenceHD is another of my favourites. I just wish Beepstreet had integrated Sunrizer into iSequencer like what they had rumoured a few years ago but nothing came of it.

• edited January 2017

Yep iSequenceHD is the proper moniker
    (Indeed first was iSequence, the pre- HD iPhone version...Wish it had been updated at least for screen size/rotation for the phone before it was removed from the store)

The situation of the rumored iSequenceHD 3 with onboard synth is a bit like Nanostudio 2...pigeons on the grass, alas

• @Littlewoodg said:
    Yep iSequenceHD is the proper moniker
    (Indeed first was iSequence, the pre- HD iPhone version...Wish it had been updated at least for screen size/rotation for the phone before it was removed from the store)

The situation of the rumored iSequenceHD 3 with onboard synth is a bit like Nanostudio 2...pigeons on the grass, alas

Glad I bought it. Very very nice program, have been watching some videos to learn how to use. I also bought the large drum kits and acoustic packs. Impressed I am
    Discussion should mainly go back to Synergy hence the title of the thread :)

• At the threads prompting I reinstalled Synergy (and Meteor, for direct multitrack project export from Synergy, and the DAW features that supplement Synergy, like audio track import and recording)

Let the magic begin.

• Not able to update here. iPad4. :(

• First interruption in magic, link to Dropbox is problematic (and I think this is a ghost from when I had Synergy linked to Dropbox in the past): when I try to import samples from DB I get a "Dropbox session ended, would you like to relink?" message. I indicate that I would, very much, and yet nothing happens.

This happens now with Crystal XT as well, though in that case when I try to access Dropbox it crashes the synth. I think it's a DB ghost, left behind when I had both apps linked to DB and then deleted those apps and links...

• @Littlewoodg said:
    First interruption in magic, link to Dropbox is problematic (and I think this is a ghost from when I had Synergy linked to Dropbox in the past): when I try to import samples from DB I get a "Dropbox session ended, would you like to relink?" message. I indicate that I would, very much, and yet nothing happens.

This happens now with Crystal XT as well, though in that case when I try to access Dropbox it crashes the synth. I think it's a DB ghost, left behind when I had both apps linked to DB and then deleted those apps and links...

I'm guessing you mean when you want to import samples to Meteor, not Synergy, right?

• Just as likely dropbox got updated at some point and broke the connection, probably synergy and meteor need updated dropbox sdks or something.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    First interruption in magic, link to Dropbox is problematic (and I think this is a ghost from when I had Synergy linked to Dropbox in the past): when I try to import samples from DB I get a "Dropbox session ended, would you like to relink?" message. I indicate that I would, very much, and yet nothing happens.

I'm guessing you mean when you want to import samples to Meteor, not Synergy, right?

Both, Synergy's sample instruments and drum kits allow access to a Synergy created folder in "Apps", inside Dropbox. It worked for Meteor because the folder was still in there (until I lost that too by fkn around trying to relink...)

@BiancaNeve said:
    Just as likely dropbox got updated at some point and broke the connection, probably synergy and meteor need updated dropbox sdks or something.

That's probably exactly it...and how likely is it that Limelight will hop to fix it. Email time...

• More likely than i would have guessed 6 months ago since when they have released updates to both meteor and now synergy. If you had asked me 6 months ago I would have been sure they were all abandonware.

• @BiancaNeve said:
    More likely than i would have guessed 6 months ago since when they have released updates to both meteor and now synergy. If you had asked me 6 months ago I would have been sure they were all abandonware.

I often think there's as much to be learned by devs from our behavior here as from any suggestions we might have to make. I bought Synergy yesterday pretty much because (substantive or otherwise) they appeared to prove the app was still alive...

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@BiancaNeve said:
    More likely than i would have guessed 6 months ago since when they have released updates to both meteor and now synergy. If you had asked me 6 months ago I would have been sure they were all abandonware.

I often think there's as much to be learned by devs from our behavior here as from any suggestions we might have to make. I bought Synergy yesterday pretty much because (substantive or otherwise) they appeared to prove the app was still alive...

Same here though in my case I reinstalled because of the update, and @Artmuzz post

• Synergy and Meteor just got updated today with Dropbox updates.

• @Littlewoodg said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

So you recommend it?

• @RustiK said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

So you recommend it?

It's a cool lab to play in, has 2 types of synths and a sampler, and the tenori-style sequencer is fun, the arpeggiator is really deep.

I'm glad the Dropbox sdk got updated, the dev was right on the case after a couple emails. That responsiveness and the range of fresh sounds possible is enough for a recommendation