Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audio Evolution Mobile DAW

Comments

• @dermichl said:
    soooo, any reason why playback stops when i close the editor in order to return to the time line view?
    to me this is a huuuuuge show stopper: stopping playback to do any sort of edit.
    and restarting playback after i finished an edit

the same goes for undo operation: stopping playback to undo an edit is a major league show stopper

We solved the first issue in 1.2.1:

• When recording audio, playback of instrument tracks would not be in perfect sync. Solved.
    • Solved MIDI timing issues when recording with the virtual keyboard or USB MIDI input.
    • An instrument track could not be armed without opening the virtual keyboard when a MIDI keyboard was selected as input. Solved.
    • SoundFont shop now shows a ‘Download’ indicator for sound fonts that have been purchased but are not yet present on your device.
    • The app will now keep playing if playback was started in the piano roll display and Next is pressed.
    • Solved issue with virtual keyboard velocity

Undo while playback is unfortunately not going to happen any time soon.

• I am exploring AEM and having trouble getting it to work with Patterning via IAA. I eventually found a way to pipe audio in with Audiobus 2 but even then the transport controls in AEM don’t seem to start Patterning.

I haven’t had any trouble setting up Patterning to work with IAA in GarageBand or MultiTrack DAW.

Any help getting this working would be appreciated. This is on iPad running 11.3 and latest AEM and Patterning. I need to get this working before investing in the pro version of AEM.

Thanks,
    Edward

• I've checked the same with Different Drummer and SeekBeats with the same result.
    Drum Jam works, but that isn't a true multichannel instrument, so focus is on single channel communication.

• It doesn't even work when I am just grabbing the stereo from Patterning. It seems like AEM isn't sending the start command when you press play or record on its transport.

And when I was using just IAA, the little iaa transport palette record and play buttons had no effect on AEM when I was in Patterning.

• I remember having similar issues with other IAAs but they were fixed by the dev quite fast, it's probably just a matter of letting him know.

• I'll try to check it out today, thanks for letting me know.

• It is now connecting (the app was trying to set the input format which the audio unit doesn't have and therefore it failed). Unfortunately, it does not record yet from Patterning, I'll look into it further.

• @dwrae said:
    It is now connecting (the app was trying to set the input format which the audio unit doesn't have and therefore it failed). Unfortunately, it does not record yet from Patterning, I'll look into it further.

As i have your attention: What happended to the iPhone version?
    The beta seemed to be finish, IMHO.

• @dwrae said:
    I'll try to check it out today, thanks for letting me know.

same here, testflight is showing beta done, I can’t test iphone. let me know if i can help

• @tja said:

@dwrae said:
    It is now connecting (the app was trying to set the input format which the audio unit doesn't have and therefore it failed). Unfortunately, it does not record yet from Patterning, I'll look into it further.

As i have your attention: What happended to the iPhone version?
    The beta seemed to be finish, IMHO.

Considering the disaster of the iPad release over a year ago, I'd like everything to work including Patterning and so on. The biggest problems with the app seem to be related to everything that the Android version does not have (which is logical since that's used by over 100000 people, so the bugs are pretty much ironed out), that is, IAA, AUv3, AudioBus, AUM etc. Unfortunately, documentation and debugging possibilities are minimal and responses from certain plug-in developers have been disappointing ('it works with the major apps, so we don't really care'). So it might take some time to iron things out.

I'll try to re-instate the iPhone beta today.

• The Patterning author was quick at finding the issue, so it works now! Expect a new release soon.

• Can I try the iPhone beta please?

• @dwrae said:
    The Patterning author was quick at finding the issue, so it works now! Expect a new release soon.

Great!

Got the new beta - if you want to see specific Apps tested, just write!

• Audio Evolution Mobile 1.2.7 for iOS released:

• Added automation recording. When the automation Read button in the mixer display is changed to Touch, all parameter movements (volume, panning, parameters of insert effects) are recorded during playback. Touch mode means that all existing automation between touch and release is overwritten.
    • Added output channel selection to MIDI output dialog
    • Added ‘Project notes’ item to the Project menu
    • The velocity of the drum pads can now be changed
    • A progress dialog now shows which IAA/AU effect is being loaded when loading a project, for easier troubleshooting with effects that do not load
    • Patterning should work now as IAA input
    • Audio units with type ‘remote music effect’ such as Altispace should now work
    • Updated to AudioBus 3.0.5
  • This app has come so far.

A job well done.

• Nice! Good job @dwrae !!

• Yes indeed. And you can even start with 3 tracks for free, plus you get a full-fledged soundfont player, free demos of the really good Toneboosters plugins and a great piano roll editor.

• @dwrae said:
    Audio Evolution Mobile 1.2.7 for iOS released:

• Added automation recording. When the automation Read button in the mixer display is changed to Touch, all parameter movements (volume, panning, parameters of insert effects) are recorded during playback. Touch mode means that all existing automation between touch and release is overwritten.
    • Added output channel selection to MIDI output dialog
    • Added ‘Project notes’ item to the Project menu
    • The velocity of the drum pads can now be changed
    • A progress dialog now shows which IAA/AU effect is being loaded when loading a project, for easier troubleshooting with effects that do not load
    • Patterning should work now as IAA input
    • Audio units with type ‘remote music effect’ such as Altispace should now work
    • Updated to AudioBus 3.0.5

Hi,

I just gave the updated AEM+Patterning a spin. While things are working better, I am still running into problems that prevent me from being able to use it. If you address these, I would be happy to beta test them for you before you release to the app store.

Here are things that I tried and the result (I also tried the same things with MultiTrack DAW as a comparison to see if Patterning might be the problem).

STEPS
    1) Launch AEM and add audio track whose input sources is Patterning main output (stereo). Make sure it is armed.
    2) Go to Patterning and ensure that IAA sync is on
    3) Go to Patterning's Pattern page and press Patterning's play button (not the IAA play button) to ensure it plays fine.
    4) Press play on the IAA palette. (PROBLEM 1)
    --if the AEM sequence is empty, nothing happens
    --if the AEM sequence is not empty, then I can see Patterning animating playback BUT no audio is heard. (If I do this with MTDaw, I hear Patterning's output)

5) If I press record on the IAA palette, Pattterning plays back and I can hear the playback (Yay).

6) If I stop recording and then press rewind, the counter on the IAA palette does not reset to 1.01 (when MT Daw is the host, the counter is reset) (PROBLEM 2)

7) After recording, pressing the play button often (always?) causes AEM to record instead of play (PROBLEM 3)

8) Return to AEM by pressing its icon on the IAA palette.

9) Delete any recorded audio

10) Press Play, no Patterning playback is heard (PROBLEM 3)
    ---when you press Stop, however, you will hear a single hit from patterning.

I ran into a few non-Patterning related problems during the session:

• Jump to Start doesn't seem to work. When I choose it the play indicator stays wherever it was.

• I tried to put BeatHawk through its paces to see if it had the same issues as Patterning. I noticed that if Beathawk had a sequence loaded, playback from AEM seemed to cut off the first beat.

Hopefully, this will be helpful. You have a promising product.

Best.
    Edward

• Just did another quick test with AEM and Patterning and noticed that when recording from Patterning (IAA synth turned on) that the hits that occur at time 0 aren’t triggered. This is also true when I try to use BeatHawk. This doesn’t happen with MTDAW. I didn’t have a chance to see how much time is missing. But it is more than a fraction of a second. It makes me wonder if the correct time value is being sent.

• edited June 2018

closing the editor stills stops the playback over here...
    no go sorry

Air2 at 10.3.3 with recent AEM

• @dermichl said:
    no go sorry

That should be an easy fix

• @dwrae said:

@dermichl said:
    no go sorry

with all due tespect but you already said so last year...

• @dermichl said:

@dwrae said:

@dermichl said:
    no go sorry

You are very right. I looked into it again and indeed it isn't so easy as I thought, but still doable of course.

• edited June 2018

@dermichl said:

@dwrae said:

@dermichl said:
    no go sorry

Actually, it does not stop here at all. If I create an instrument track, create a clip, enter a few notes in the piano roll editor and press Next at the top right, it continues playing. It does stop after recording in the virtual keyboard display, but it does not make sense to continue recording there anyway since no input can come at that point anymore.

• @dwrae said:

@dermichl said:

@dwrae said:

@dermichl said:
    no go sorry

Actually, it does not stop here at all. If I create an instrument track, create a clip, enter a few notes in the piano roll editor and press Next at the top right, it continues playing. It does stop after recording in the virtual keyboard display, but it does not make sense to continue recording there anyway since no input can come at that point anymore.

was trying it with a drum clip. in my book stopping the playback only makes sense when i press stop on purpose. ymmv

• was trying it with a drum clip. in my book stopping the playback only makes sense when i press stop on purpose. ymmv

Aha, the drum pattern editor. It's solved now for next release.

• Audio Evolution Mobile 1.2.8 released for iPad:

• Effects can now be added and removed while playing
    • Added option ‘Snap vertical scrolling’ which can be switched off for continuous vertical time line scrolling
    • Added Swing parameter to Quantize dialog
    • Added ‘Convert to instrument track’ to track pop-up menu of drum pattern track
    • Pressing play in an IAA remote control right after recording would result in the app recording again. Solved.
    • Solved issue with beat offset and IAA instruments
    • When playing back with a track armed, the input from IAA instruments and audio inputs (if software monitoring is enabled) will be heard as well as the existing audio on the track
    • App does not stop playback/recording anymore when exiting some screens like the MIDI editor, virtual keyboard and drum pads.

If no serious issues arise in this version, the iPhone version will be released by the end of the week or early next week.

• Really exciting news about the iPhone version! Hurray!