Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audio Evolution Mobile DAW

1424344454648»

Comments

• edited March 2023

@espiegel123 said:

@bargale said:

@dwrae said:

@bargale said:
    I think the best way to do that is to try a synth that is using a lot of cpu, something in the likes of moog model d
    Results in cubasis -
    Sample rate 48khz, Bit depth 32
    Single thread - 5 instances
    Multi thread - with lowest guard buffer - 18 instances, not 100% stable but good enough and I’m not going to use more than 5 instances any time soon.

Ok, my tests:

• Cubasis, buffer size 512 (10.7 msec), single core: 9 tracks of Model D
    • AEMS, buffer size 512, single core; 9 tracks of Model D
    • Cubasis, multi-core, buffer size gets increased by 10.7 msec (so 1024 frames I suppose in total), 26 tracks
    • AEMS 2 threads, buffer size set to 1024f, 13 tracks
    • AEMS 3 threads, buffer size set to 1024f, 20 tracks
    • AEMS 4 threads, buffer size set to 1024f, 23 tracks

So it scales better with AUv3 instruments than the tests made with the effects chain.

Forgot to mention, I’m using the lowest buffer, which is an rtl of 10.6, so yeah 512, pretty bad I’d say.
    I always try to start a project at the lowest latency I can, if a daw allows me a buffer of 64 samples, I’ll use it as I feel it’s essential when trying to record a drum track, be it midi or audio.
    So, as aem allows freezing, I’m fine with or without multi-core, although, I support the endeavor.

P.S
    As the latest iPadOS allows you to implement drivers in the app for controllers or audio interfaces, have you thought about implementing it for lower latency/extra features if the interface api allows it?
    Just a random thought that I had, not pushing in any direction.

Writing drivers is there for device manufacturers to provide custom drivers for the hardware they manufacture. Particularly for hardware (like my Boss katana amp) that is not class compliant.

Writing a custom driver won’t result in less latency than the minimum that results from the buffer size, it can reduce additional latency n cases where the hardware has additional latency when using class compliant drivers

I don’t know about iOS, but it used to work like Asio on windows, bypassed the os and allowed for a lower buffer and some interfaces had interesting features like the old mr816x by steinberg that allowed to switch tracks in cubase by pressing physically on select on the interface and it switched to the corresponding track in cubase
    Or the apogee element which allows to set an input gain straight from t logic.

Anywho, it’s off topic so back to AEM,
    I love the vocal tune studio video above.

• hi, is it possible to mute a clip or a group of notes in AEM?

Couldn't find it, unless I'm missing it?

I usually find it useful when sketching.

Also:

• is it only possible to save from the project menu (i.e. it always asks for confirmation when overwriting the project?)
    • in some cases autosaves seem to result in an empty project when loaded, but didn't look at it properly yet.

Thanks

• @vdk_john said:
    hi, is it possible to mute a clip or a group of notes in AEM?

Couldn't find it, unless I'm missing it?

You can drag the volume of a clip down to mute it (given you see the white handles which requires enough vertical zoom).

I usually find it useful when sketching.

Also:

• is it only possible to save from the project menu (i.e. it always asks for confirmation when overwriting the project?)

I'm not sure where you would want to do it anywhere else?

• in some cases autosaves seem to result in an empty project when loaded, but didn't look at it properly yet.

It could happen perhaps if you have a paid effect in your project which hasn't been purchased yet. I'll need to look into that to see if that could cause it.

• hi!
    thanks for the quick reply! :smile:

@dwrae said:
    You can drag the volume of a clip down to mute it (given you see the white handles which requires enough vertical zoom).

I'll give that a go, thanks! Would be great to have it as a separate feature from the clip context menu (that works like Cubasis "mute")

I'm not sure where you would want to do it anywhere else?

oh, I meant like having a "save" button in the toolbar, or just let the menu entry save the file right away without acting as "save as" (by the way, I just noticed the two menus "save project" and "save project as" do indeed seem to be doing the same thing... ?

It could happen perhaps if you have a paid effect in your project which hasn't been purchased yet. I'll need to look into that to see if that could cause it.

no but in one track I'm using Pro Keys that has IAP (I purchased) that unlock the paid sounds and that plugin seems to struggle to load correctly on some DAWs, so maybe that's the reason?
    On that (test) project I only have one track with Pro Keys and another with one of the built-in soundfonts.

Another idea from trying the app in the last few days: I'd like to have a setting to either reload the last project on start-up or open a template (I think StudioOne on desktop has a similar feature)

Thanks

• edited October 2023

Does AEM support midi clock in so i can use it as a plugin host with a hardware sequencer?
    Does it support AUV3 multi out?

• @tobi77 said:
    Does AEM support midi clock in so i can use it as a plugin host with a hardware sequencer?

It supports MIDI clock output but no AUv3 multi-out.

• @dwrae said:

@tobi77 said:

Mr @dwrae is it possible to start implementing the pause, make change, unpause work around for all other timeline operations, like selecting, splitting, moving, looping, undo, redo...?

The fact that i have to pause to do almost anything get really into my nerves :(

• @cokomairena said:

@dwrae said:

@tobi77 said:

Mr @dwrae is it possible to start implementing the pause, make change, unpause work around for all other timeline operations, like selecting, splitting, moving, looping, undo, redo...?

The fact that i have to pause to do almost anything get really into my nerves :(

I have just finished another huge amount of work on another app that took 3 times longer than expected (what's new?) and the pause/unpause thing is the first item on my list to address. It's not trivial either so I will probably release it in steps.

• Hi does anyone know if mobile studio will be going on sale?

• @jking said:
    Hi does anyone know if mobile studio will be going on sale?

it can go down 4 bucks sometimes but at $10 it's incredible cheap already, it has a lot of value

The only issue for me is the cumbersome UI, but it's really capable

• Thanks, I’ve been using GarageBand but I need something that I can load AU Midi into. Was looking at AUM as well but like a DAW so thought mobile studio would work. Haven’t got a lot of free cash so looking for bargains wherever I can 😊

• just a side note, @dwrae is a fantastic dev, and there is a mechanism in the app to tip him if you have realized this

• It is a sneakily deep app.

• @espiegel123 said:
    It is a sneakily deep app.

and sneaky is my favorite use case

• How does it compare to Cubasis 3? Has anyone tried both?