Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audio Evolution Mobile DAW

Comments

• Audio Evolution Mobile Studio 2.1.4 for iOS released:

• Added ‘Copy to app’ item to the clip and range pop-up menu for audio tracks
    • The ‘Next’ button was only partially visible on the iPhone X in the virtual keyboard screen. Solved.
    • Output selection for the master channel did not work. Solved.
    • Solved an issue where output would become silent.
    • When returning from another app (like IAA), the audio session was not active which would result in failure when adding other IAA’s. Solved.
    • The app could crash when adding an effect failed while playing. Solved.
  • @dwrae said:
    Audio Evolution Mobile Studio 2.1.4 for iOS released:

• The ‘Next’ button was only partially visible on the iPhone X in the virtual keyboard screen. Solved.
    • Output selection for the master channel did not work. Solved.
    • Solved an issue where output would become silent.
    • When returning from another app (like IAA), the audio session was not active which would result in failure when adding other IAA’s. Solved.
    • The app could crash when adding an effect failed while playing. Solved.

Some very good improvements! Thank you!

• @dwrae said:
    Audio Evolution Mobile Studio 2.1.4 for iOS released:

This is amazing! I just requested this over the weekend! You rock!

Seriously, anyone that’s not using AEM really needs to check it out...

One question on the new open in... Is it possible to do it so it doesn’t ask for, or save a file? Or if you need a file, just always use a dummy/buffer file? I’ve never had to save a file name first. Not a big deal, but as there no file picker, it’s hard to not end up with a bunch of files and then not know what to name the one you have and avoid the “file exists”... or allow the overwrite of exported file maybe so they can all have same name?

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    One question on the new open in... Is it possible to do it so it doesn’t ask for, or save a file? Or if you need a file, just always use a dummy/buffer file? I’ve never had to save a file name first. Not a big deal, but as there no file picker, it’s hard to not end up with a bunch of files and then not know what to name the one you have and avoid the “file exists”... or allow the overwrite of exported file maybe so they can all have same name?

I can imagine. I tried to do the 'Open in' call and then delete the file, but that resulted in an error that the other app couldn't open the file because it was gone, so there is some asynchronous call going on obviously. Then I stopped deleting the file and called it something like 'temp.wav', but then at the target/other app, you'll end up with temp.wav and temp(1).wav and so on, and then you may not remember anymore which is which. So that's why I now present the name. Suggestions welcome!

• @dwrae said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

I can imagine. I tried to do the 'Open in' call and then delete the file, but that resulted in an error that the other app couldn't open the file because it was gone, so there is some asynchronous call going on obviously. Then I stopped deleting the file and called it something like 'temp.wav', but then at the target/other app, you'll end up with temp.wav and temp(1).wav and so on, and then you may not remember anymore which is which. So that's why I now present the name. Suggestions welcome!

What about deleting the temp file just before the next "Open in" call?
    Maybe another experienced developer can chime in? "Open in" is a very common action.

• edited April 2019

@dwrae said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

I figured it was something like that. I know you’re pretty clever with the IOS file system...😀

How about just a pre-populated name that’s like projectname-export-n where n auto increments? That would actually be handy in terms of allowing some clip organizations out of the box.

Regardless, even as it is now is an order of magnitude better in terms of workflow...

Record jam in AUM
    Bring file into AEM
    Set BPM and grid
    Grab loopable regions in range
    Export range into LaunchPad or another loop player
    Boom!

• @rs2000 said:
    Maybe another experienced developer can chime in? "Open in" is a very common action.

Sure, but that still doesn't fix the temp(1).wav problem

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    How about just a pre-populated name that’s like projectname-export-n where n auto increments? That would actually be handy in terms of allowing some clip organizations out of the box.

That might be a good idea, or perhaps do a projectname_trackname_number thing.

• @dwrae said:

@rs2000 said:

Why not? temp(1) would not even be created because the temp file(s) are deleted before open-in, or am I wrong?

• @rs2000 said:

@dwrae said:

@rs2000 said:

Why not? temp(1) would not even be created because the temp file(s) are deleted before open-in, or am I wrong?

On the target app.

• @dwrae said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

That might be a good idea, or perhaps do a projectname_trackname_number thing.

Whatever is easiest.

Or just remember what the user entered previously, and pre-populate the field with that value.

Then I can call it project_138bpm_drums-1

Then next time I export I just delete the "1" and add 2

At least that way I can remember what the last value/number was as there's no picker/list.

If you could do it this way, I think that would be most flexible.

But again, even if you do nothing more, it's still awesome!

• It needs an updated manual IMO

• Is there a way for me to optimize the app for an old iPhone 6S?

I’ve set it on the highest latency, 44.1/48 sample rate, 16 bit rate and even with only one track playing sf2 it is constantly clicking.

Fortunately the clicking sounds are not in the wav after exporting audio, but I need cleaner audio while monitoring.

Background apps are disabled etc.
    Is there anything else I can do to make the app usable on the 6S?

• @jolico said:

Is there a way for me to optimize the app for an old iPhone 6S?

I’ve set it on the highest latency, 44.1/48 sample rate, 16 bit rate and even with only one track playing sf2 it is constantly clicking.

Fortunately the clicking sounds are not in the wav after exporting audio, but I need cleaner audio while monitoring.

What is the buffer size you are using and are you using headphones?

• @dwrae said:

@jolico said:

Buffer even up to 2000. With/without headphones, same result.

• @jolico said:

@dwrae said:

@jolico said:

Ok, that's not normal. Have you tried restarting your iPhone?

• edited April 2019

@dwrae said:

@jolico said:

@dwrae said:

@jolico said:

(Facepalm)
    The problem was “Barkfilter” in the Master FX.
    I was sure that all FX were disabled and completely forgot to check the master.

For some reason “Barkfilter” pushes AEMS over the edge no matter what. Even after restarting.
    I can work without Barkfilter.

Thank you for AEMS and thank you for your patience with all of our requests, demands and errors.

• @jolico said:

@dwrae said:

@jolico said:

@dwrae said:

@jolico said:

(Facepalm)
    The problem was “Barkfilter” in the Master FX.
    I was sure that all FX were disabled and completely forgot to check the master.

For some reason “Barkfilter” pushes AEMS over the edge no matter what. Even after restarting.
    I can work without Barkfilter.

Thank you for AEMS and thank you for your patience with all of our requests, demands and errors.

No problem!

• Audio Evolution Mobile Studio 2.1.5 for iOS released:

• Added 'Split into separate tracks' to the pop-up menu for a drum pattern track
    • Solved crash involving sample rate change and fx sends
    • Solved a problem with loop playback
  • Nice!! 🙂

• Audio Evolution Mobile Studio 2.1.6 for iOS released:

• Solved a problem importing audio with the ‘Open with’ functionality, for example using AudioShare
    • Updated to AudioBus SDK 3.0.7
    • ‘Ctrl+S’ now saves the project
    • Solved a crash involving AudioBus
  • @dwrae said:
    Audio Evolution Mobile Studio 2.1.6 for iOS released:

• Solved a problem importing audio with the ‘Open with’ functionality, for example using AudioShare

Thanks @dwrae

As simple as it sounds, having the ability to Ctrl+S is a real godsend!

I hope all other iOS DAWs follow your lead :)

• @tk32 said:
    Thanks @dwrae

:-)

I wonder if people are still facing stability issues with the app in combination with AudioBus/IAA/AUv3, which is the most heard complaint?

• @dwrae said:
    Audio Evolution Mobile Studio 2.1.6 for iOS released:

Thank you!!!! 😎👍🏼

• @dwrae said:

@tk32 said:
    Thanks @dwrae

:-)

I wonder if people are still facing stability issues with the app in combination with AudioBus/IAA/AUv3, which is the most heard complaint?

Can CTRL+S be mapped to a MIDI command?
    If not, does anyone know how to connect both a BT keyboard and BT MIDI simultaneously?

• Great update! Very stable! I used it with AB3 beta and it worked great! No crashes so far. Was able to send midi into it from Xequence 2 and recorded perfectly! As well as audio from AB3.

Only thing I can’t figure out is how to disable the microphone on my headset. Although I have AB input enabled, I can still hear the mic as if it’s active all the time.

Another thing I really wish is Ableton V3 start stop. This would send this DAW over the top specially on my iphone which is where I use it the most.

Thanks for all you great work!

@dwrae said:
    Audio Evolution Mobile Studio 2.1.5 for iOS released:

• Added 'Split into separate tracks' to the pop-up menu for a drum pattern track
    • Solved crash involving sample rate change and fx sends
    • Solved a problem with loop playback
  • @Tones4Christ said:
    Great update! Very stable! I used it with AB3 beta and it worked great! No crashes so far. Was able to send midi into it from Xequence 2 and recorded perfectly! As well as audio from AB3.

Only thing I can’t figure out is how to disable the microphone on my headset. Although I have AB input enabled, I can still hear the mic as if it’s active all the time.

Another thing I really wish is Ableton V3 start stop. This would send this DAW over the top specially on my iphone which is where I use it the most.

Thanks for all you great work!

I think AB has a mic input setting as well, perhaps you can disable it there?
    AB start/stop wouldn't be so hard to implement I guess. MIDI sync is another matter..

• Any way to get the keyboard on the same screen as the AUv3?

• Using just AUM and AEM, does anyone know how to connect the outputs of AUM to the inputs of AEM and record everything at the touch of a button? Multitrack DAW seems to be able to do this, but I can't seem to get AEM to see AUM outputs. I don't want to use both AUM and Audiobus. I want to try to keep things as simple as possible.

Is this currently possible? And if not, can this be an added feature? Thanks!!