Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audio Evolution Mobile DAW

Comments

• @dendy said:
    @dwrae

Please, i have one question - i wanted to try higher samplerate exports (for example 96 khz) from AEM, am i correct that it is not possible and both project realtime and export sample rate are same as default device sample rate (eg. 44 or 48 khz, based on device) ?

(that's not complain or request:)) - just question, i'm trying multiple DAWs for some tests related to some AU plugins sample rate handling issues, and wanted to include also AEM to my DAW tests set, so asking in case i just overlooked something somewhere :))

Project and export rate are the same. I can only imagine resampling to lower rates making sense. It's on the todo list though.

• edited January 2019

Project and export rate are the same. I can only imagine resampling to lower rates making sense. It's on the todo list though.

Yes i agree, upsample just final result doesn't make much sense. I was just curious if there is some option to do 96khz export (the way that it woud really process all stuff internally at 96khz) and i'm missing it :) - it's not that i think it needs to be added;) i just needed it for my multi-DAW test of some bug which appears in few AU plugins regarding higher sample rates.

Thanks for quick reply.

One more question - Is AEM using always 44khz, or is it using frequency of device - it means on old ipads it uses 44 and on new ipads PRO 2018 it uses 48 khz ?

• @dwrae I was able to get Bias fx loaded in AEM and to flip back and forth between the apps during playback. That is fine. The problem now is that with two guitar tracks I can only use one iaa at a time. Ok fine. Well I can pad tonestack3 on the other track. Doesn’t work. Tonestack will load but then when playback starts there is no sound and shortly after I get a message saying “audio unit disconnected”

• Is AEM able to accept input from AUM via iaa/AB output? I have two channels set up one to IAA/ AB output 1 and not for IAA/AB output 2

When I go to AEM I am unable to see how to have those AUM outputs tracked in AEM

• Audio Evolution Mobile Studio 2.1.0 for iOS released:

• Added keyboard shortcuts for use with USB or BT keyboards. For the list of shortcuts, please see More -> Help -> Keyboard shortcuts
    • Added support for .SFZ soundfont instruments
    • Instrument selection dialog now offers folder browsing for sf2/sfz files
    • Soundfonts are now sorted by name
    • Added ‘Measurement mode’ option to bypass low-pass filtering and AGC
    • Added ‘Use MIDI packet timestamp’ option which defaults to true. If notes or an entire clip disappears after recording when using a USB or BT MIDI device, please try turning this option off.
    • Solved possible crash when loading an IAA effect from a project
    • Solved an issue where multiple MIDI events arriving at the same time (a chord from Xequence for example) were not all processed.
    • Mixing down using the AIFF format did not work. Solved.
    • Solved a crash after freezing a track when 3 tracks were present in the project and the PRO IAP was not done (for apps installed before version 2.0 was released).
    • Solved a crash when clearing automation during playback.
  • @dendy said:

Yes i agree, upsample just final result doesn't make much sense. I was just curious if there is some option to do 96khz export (the way that it woud really process all stuff internally at 96khz) and i'm missing it :) - it's not that i think it needs to be added;) i just needed it for my multi-DAW test of some bug which appears in few AU plugins regarding higher sample rates.

Thanks for quick reply.

One more question - Is AEM using always 44khz, or is it using frequency of device - it means on old ipads it uses 44 and on new ipads PRO 2018 it uses 48 khz ?

Sorry for the very late reply. I usually get an email when there is a message on the forum, but not this time. It defaults to the frequency of the device, unless you use a USB audio interface. You can change it (sometimes), but then resampling will occur. Whether it has a fixed rate or not can also differ if you use a headset or not (crazy stuff!).

• @Briandandrig said:
    @dwrae I was able to get Bias fx loaded in AEM and to flip back and forth between the apps during playback. That is fine. The problem now is that with two guitar tracks I can only use one iaa at a time. Ok fine. Well I can pad tonestack3 on the other track. Doesn’t work. Tonestack will load but then when playback starts there is no sound and shortly after I get a message saying “audio unit disconnected”

That's an iOS thing that you can only run one IAA, because it's an app. Tonestack has often been troublesome here. I'm afraid I'm basically at the end of my patience with IAA. It is broken by design.

• edited February 2019

@dwrae thanks for reply !

Whether it has a fixed rate or not can also differ if you use a headset or not (crazy stuff!).

yeah i know, i think this is since iPhone 6S .. apple is weird :)

Just if you are intereseted, here is main reason why i was asking those things - here are explained some AU-related sample rate handling issues and how tho handle them correctly in plugins code, maybe it saves you some time if you get from users bugreports of this kind ..

https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/479/some-notes-for-au-developers

• @dendy said:
    @dwrae thanks for reply !

Whether it has a fixed rate or not can also differ if you use a headset or not (crazy stuff!).

yeah i know, i think this is since iPhone 6S .. apple is weird :)

Just if you are intereseted, here is main reason why i was asking those things - here are explained some AU-related sample rate handling issues and how tho handle them correctly in plugins code, maybe it saves you some time if you get from users bugreports of this kind ..

https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/479/some-notes-for-au-developers

It's more of a plea for AU creators to get their act together. I've seen some of these issues, although AEM does not have a fixed sample rate of 44.1KHz. also because many IAA/AU's refuse to work if the hardware's sample rate is not fed to them.

• Hi @dwrae I finally had a quiet minute to make a video of the repeatable bug that I experience when recording using the metronome and count-in. I’ll try to post it here so others can try to repeat it or help as well in tracking it down. However, if that fails, I can send it to you directly. :smile:

Edit: It doesn’t look like I’m able to save the file here—even in linked form. Are you able to receive email attachments under 20MB? I could send it to you directly. 🙂

• Steps to repeat:
    1. Turn on metronome
    2. Turn on count-in
    3. Record live some midi starting immediately after the count-in. I recommend simply tapping out 4 notes to the beat of the metronome. Then stop recording.
    4. Go look at your recorded midi. The first part of the midi doesn’t show up.

Note: if you edit the midi part by extending the beginning of the track, you can see that the note recorded, but seems to be shifted outside of the play view.

• @dwrae I know sometimes messages get missed, so I’m bumping so that this bug stays relevant and not forgotten. 🙂

• @Audiojunkie said:
    @dwrae I know sometimes messages get missed, so I’m bumping so that this bug stays relevant and not forgotten. 🙂

Please send to [email protected], that should work. Could you also try it with the new option 'MIDI packet timestamp' turned off?

• edited February 2019

Ok, I sent it. I’ll try the new midi option and see if that helps. Thanks!

Edit: Ok, I just now tried turning the midi packet timestamp option off, but the problem persists.

• @Audiojunkie said:

Edit: Ok, I just now tried turning the midi packet timestamp option off, but the problem persists.

Thanks. Do you get the same when using GeneralUser.sf2 as instrument?

• @dwrae said:

@Audiojunkie said:

Yes, I get the same. I wonder if it is only affecting certain hardware. I find it implausible that no one else sees or experiences this. I use an iPhone 7 Plus.

• edited February 2019

@Audiojunkie said:

@dwrae said:

@Audiojunkie said:

Yes, I get the same. I wonder if it is only affecting certain hardware. I find it implausible that no one else sees or experiences this. I use an iPhone 7 Plus.

I watched the video. It behaves as intended at least. Your first note starts just before the start of the clip (0:00), so it is not played/displayed.

• @dwrae said:

@Audiojunkie said:

@dwrae said:

@Audiojunkie said:

I watched the video. It behaves as intended at least. Your first note starts just before the start of the clip (0:00), so it is not played/displayed.

Maybe you’re right. I went back and looked at the video and it seems right on target. And I couldn’t tell any difference, but I experimented with some other tracks and they seem to work fine. So, it may very well be that my timing is just off and I just can’t hear the difference. Embarrassing!! Thanks for looking into this anyway. And I’m sorry to waste your time. :o

• Audio Evolution Mobile Studio 2.1.1 for iOS released:

* 'Virtual keyboard' can now be selected as input for USB MIDI tracks to drive outboard MIDI gear.

* 15 new soundfonts from Digital Sound Factory are now added to the SoundFont shop, including the original sounds of the E-MU Proteus hardware modules!

* E-mu Proteus 1

* E-mu Proteus 2

* E-mu Proteus 3

* Millennium Synths Basses

* Millennium Synths FX

* Millennium Synths Leads

* Millennium Synths Percussion

* Millennium Synths Special Edition

* Millennium Synths Synthesizers

* Out of Africa Hollywood SFX

* Rail, Air, & Guns SFX

* Saint Thomas Hollywood SFX

* Modern Drum Kit

* Recording Drum Kit

* SP1200 DJ's Tool Kit

• Beautiful!!! Wonderful update!! Thank you Davy!!!!

Question: What is the largest size of SFZ that I can load? I have several multi-gigabyte sample sets that I would love to use!! 😁

• If I understand correctly what happens in the BASS library is that it loads only the soundfont's preset that is used. How many or how large presets you can load depends on the free memory and perhaps even free contiguous memory on your iDevice.

• Hmmm..... That's pretty limiting. I have a feature request then..... Direct from disk sample loading for SFZ.

• The BASS library does not do that, so I'm afraid it's not going to happen.

• You keep mentioning a bass library. I'm not sure what you are referring to. I'm talking about when I use my own SFZs. Maybe I've misunderstood the whole thing. Does AEM support using one's own SFZ files now? Or is it just an SFZ bass module that is now supported?

• AEM uses the BASS software library to play and manage soundfonts (sf2 and sfz files, from whatever origin) :

AEM has always supported SF2 and, recently on iOS too, SFZ files. It doesn't even know or care what their origin is, so yes, you can use your own.

• edited February 2019

BASS is an audio library for use in software on several platforms. Its purpose is to provide developers with powerful and efficient sample, stream (MP3, MP2, MP1, OGG, WAV, AIFF, custom generated, and more via OS codecs and add-ons), MOD music (XM, IT, S3M, MOD, MTM, UMX), MO3 music (MP3/OGG compressed MODs), and recording functions. All in a compact DLL that won't bloat your distribution. 

http://www.un4seen.com/

• Ahh! This makes more sense!! BASS is a code library that you used to provide the support, so you are limited to what it is capable of as far as whether or not direct from disk support is possible. That makes sense! Thanks for the clarification!

BASS is an audio library for use in software on several platforms. Its purpose is to provide developers with powerful and efficient sample, stream (MP3, MP2, MP1, OGG, WAV, AIFF, custom generated, and more via OS codecs and add-ons), MOD music (XM, IT, S3M, MOD, MTM, UMX), MO3 music (MP3/OGG compressed MODs), and recording functions. All in a compact DLL that won't bloat your distribution. 

C/C++, Delphi, and Visual Basic APIs are provided, with several examples to get you started. .Net and other APIs are also available. 

BASS is also available for the AndroidiOSWindows Store/PhoneWinCE, and ARM Linux platforms.

Main features

• Samples
    • Support for WAV/AIFF/MP3/MP2/MP1/OGG and custom generated samples
    • Sample streams
    • Stream any sample data in 8/16/32 bit, with both "push" and "pull" systems
    • File streams
    • MP3/MP2/MP1/OGG/WAV/AIFF file streaming
    • Internet file streaming
    • Stream data from HTTP and FTP servers (including Shoutcast, Icecast & Icecast2), with IDN and proxy server support and adjustable buffering
    • Custom file streaming
    • Stream data from anywhere using any delivery method, with both "push" and "pull" systems
    • OS codecs
    • ACM, Media Foundation, CoreAudio, Android media codec support for additional audio formats
    • Multi-channel streaming
    • Support for more than plain stereo, including multi-channel OGG/WAV/AIFF files
    • MOD music
    • Uses the same engine as XMPlay (very accurate, efficient, high quality reproduction), with full support for all effects, filters, stereo samples, DMO effects, etc.
    • MO3 music
    • MOD music with MP3 or OGG compressed samples (vastly reduced file size with virtually identical sound quality), MO3s are created using the MO3 encoder
    • Multiple outputs
    • Simultaneously use multiple soundcards, and move channels between them
    • Recording
    • Flexible recording system, with multiple device support and input selection, loopback support on Windows, (WMA encoding & broadcasting via the add-onand other formats via BASSenc)
    • Decode without playback
    • Streams and MOD musics can be outputted in any way you want: encoded, written to disk, streamed across a network, etc.
    • Speaker assignment
    • Assign streams and MOD musics to specific speakers to take advantage of hardware capable of more than plain stereo (up to 4 separate stereo outputs with a 7.1 soundcard)
    • High precision synchronization
    • Synchronize events in your software to the streams and MOD musics, synchronize playback of multiple channels together
    • Effects
    • Chorus / compressor / distortion / echo / flanger / gargle / parametric eq / reverb
    • Custom DSP
    • Apply any effects that you want, in any order you want, to individual streams or the final output mix
    • 32 bit floating-point decoding and processing
    • Floating-point decoding/rendering, DSP/FX, and recording
    • 3D sound
    • Play samples/streams/musics in any 3D position
    • Flexible
    • Small buffers for realtime performance, large buffers for stability, seamless buffer length adjustment, automatic and manual buffer updating, configurable threading, configurable SRC quality
    • Expandable
    • Add-on system for additional format support and effects (C/C++ API available on request), dynamic plugin loading system
    • 64-bit support
    • Both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures are supported

• So, theoretically, what is the instrument size we should be aiming for? How many Megabytes per instrument?

• Does AEM have some sort of RAM gauge that tells us how much is left or available?

• To be complete, I use the BASS MIDI library, not the features that are listed (samples, streaming, etc.).

Perhaps 1GB per instrument on recent iDevices? I'm not sure if there is a way to display available RAM. If it needs to be contiguous RAM, then it wouldn't give much information anyway.