Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audio Evolution Mobile DAW

Comments

• Couple more discoveries for the piano roll I thought you all might want to see: You can draw in Program/Bank/Control Change/ via automation envelope. It's neat, from the bottom to the top of the track you get a visual display of the specific NRPN (0-16,384). Panning as well. More screen grabs:

• Thanks, @Ocsprey ! I have downloaded it and will investigate further.
    :smile:

• I wrote up some more of the features etc., of the app. Some really impressive features: https://aud-ios.com/2017/01/28/audio-evolution-mobile-studio-new-powerful-daw-for-ios/

• edited January 2017

@Ocsprey said:
    I wrote up some more of the features etc., of the app. Some really impressive features: https://aud-ios.com/2017/01/28/audio-evolution-mobile-studio-new-powerful-daw-for-ios/

Your research, screenshots and writing are Much appreciated!
    Here's a question following up on one I had earlier upthread (that you addressed in terms of Audiobus, and allude to in the write up linked here)

Using IAA can AE audio tracks listen to/record all the audio outs of those apps like ThumbJam and Modstep that advertise multiple audio outs? (Or is this possible only by using AB?)

• Using IAA can AE audio tracks listen to/record all the audio outs of those apps like ThumbJam and Modstep that advertise multiple audio outs? (Or is this possible only by using AB?)

IAA generator support is not yet in the public version. In the beta we have working here we see for example 8 tracks of Patterning and the main output, so I assume the answer is yes (don't have those apps you mention).

• @dwrae said:

Using IAA can AE audio tracks listen to/record all the audio outs of those apps like ThumbJam and Modstep that advertise multiple audio outs? (Or is this possible only by using AB?)

IAA generator support is not yet in the public version. In the beta we have working here we see for example 8 tracks of Patterning and the main output, so I assume the answer is yes (don't have those apps you mention).

Yes, in the drop down menu, all 8 are listed now @Littlewoodg - can confirm w/ Patterning/Modstep/Diff Drummer... all 8 Studiomux outputs as well etc.

• @Littlewoodg said:

@Ocsprey said:
    I wrote up some more of the features etc., of the app. Some really impressive features: https://aud-ios.com/2017/01/28/audio-evolution-mobile-studio-new-powerful-daw-for-ios/

Your research, screenshots and writing are Much appreciated!
    Here's a question following up on one I had earlier upthread (that you addressed in terms of Audiobus, and allude to in the write up linked here)

Thanks, I'm enjoying the heck out of this app - can't articulate why... but it just makes sense, and works the way I want it to. Having an Undo function is also freakin' great.

• edited January 2017

Spending more time with it today, and a few thoughts:

• The stock effects feel very unfinished from a visual feedback / usability standpoint. Specifically things like no gain reduction meter on the compressor, no frequency analyzer on the EQ, no delay time sync on the stereo delay. Little things, but important things that go a long way when mixing.
    • Overall the GUI is beautiful to look at and use. Looks great on a 12" iPad Pro. But as soon as you enter the file import or IAP audio loops dialogues it feels like an IRS form! It's a cold sea of bright white with no distinct hierarchy, color or contrast. Particularly on the larger iPad. Would be nice to see these screens treated with the same visual craft and attention to detail that was clearly put into the rest of the interface design.

Overall, it's an impressive contender in the iOS DAW world. Hope to see it continually developed and improved.

Also...AudioShare and Ableton Link, as mentioned ;)

• from my 5 minutes I wasn't wild about the piano roll. Could be it needs more time though.

• 1.0.6 released:

• Added support for AudioShare. For exporting to AudioShare, please use the ‘File browser’ and swipe your audio file left to reveal the AudioShare function. To import from AudioShare, simply select ‘Import from AudioShare’ from the Project menu
    • Added channel filter to MIDI input dialog
    • Fixed crash in the velocity editor for the drum pattern editor
    • Fixed crash in changing output of busses.
    • Moving automation points is now easier
    • Pressing cancel in presets dialog caused a crash. Solved.
    • The ‘Vocal Remover’ and ‘WahWah’ effect sometimes failed to load. Solved.
    • After setting the resonance or depth parameters in WahWah to 0, no sound would be produced anymore. Solved.
    • Pop-up menu with 'Remove effect' is not displayed anymore for empty fx slot
    • Solved issue with undo ‘Cut ripple’ in drum pattern editor
    • Cut and paste dialogs in the drum pattern editor now have a Cancel option
    • Choosing ‘Duplicate track’ when 3 tracks were present and the PRO IAP wasn’t done caused a crash. Solved.
    • Solved 32/64-bit issue that could cause a random crash
  • @dwrae said:
    1.0.6 released:

• Added support for AudioShare. For exporting to AudioShare, please use the ‘File browser’ and swipe your audio file left to reveal the AudioShare function. To import from AudioShare, simply select ‘Import from AudioShare’ from the Project menu
    • After setting the resonance or depth parameters in WahWah to 0, no sound would be produced anymore. Solved.
    • Choosing ‘Duplicate track’ when 3 tracks were present and the PRO IAP wasn’t done caused a crash. Solved.

@dwrae Thanks! I discovered 2 more sub menus with a bunch more functions I didn't know existed (Long Tap on a Track to pull up Menus shown below)! It's also great that when you select an Audio input source, all available ports for the Apps are shown, even if they aren't loaded in the background:

• edited January 2017

@Ocsprey said:

@dwrae said:
    1.0.6 released:

@dwrae Thanks! I discovered 2 more sub menus with a bunch more functions I didn't know existed (Long Tap on a Track to pull up Menus shown below)! It's also great that when you select an Audio input source, all available ports for the Apps are shown, even if they aren't loaded in the background:

The input selection menu: I saw it once but I forgot how I got there, I tried long tap in the audio track itself, and tried the top input button and only saw these menus

• @Arpseechord said:
    Another daw.....oh man!

Last I spoke to him HARMONIC DOG

• @RustiK said:

@Arpseechord said:
    Another daw.....oh man!

was supposed to have new version , entirely new app.

1st one is my default phone daw recorder type app

• edited January 2017

@Ocsprey
    In other words I have yet to see the menu for Input Selctions show IAA instruments as per your screen shot, the one time I saw the Input menu populated with choices is when the app was loaded in Audiobus.
    I accessed that list of Input Selctions by tapping that button on the channel strip (A long tap on audio track produces same as short tap on audio track, the menu I attached that reads "Remove track, Rename Track etc")
    Earlier in the thread when you referenced access to IAA, Davy the dev noted something about that feature not being available in the "public version", are the screenshots you posted from a beta?

• @RustiK said:

@RustiK said:

@Arpseechord said:
    Another daw.....oh man!

was supposed to have new version , entirely new app.

1st one is my default phone daw recorder type app

Oh I never knew there was to be a newer version from Harmonicdog. What happened?
    I still have it on my iPad. Can't remember when the last update was
    Well then perhaps it's a very very good thing there's AEM Daw introduced in this thread and let's hope it pans out very well for developer and user

• @Littlewoodg said:
    @Ocsprey
    In other words I have yet to see the menu for Input Selctions show IAA instruments as per your screen shot, the one time I saw the Input menu populated with choices is when the app was loaded in Audiobus.
    I accessed that list of Input Selctions by tapping that button on the channel strip (A long tap on audio track produces same as short tap on audio track, the menu I attached that reads "Remove track, Rename Track etc")
    Earlier in the thread when you referenced access to IAA, Davy the dev noted something about that feature not being available in the "public version", are the screenshots you posted from a beta?

The IAA inputs are from the beta and are not available yet in the official version.

• @dwrae said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    @Ocsprey

The IAA inputs are from the beta and are not available yet in the official version.

Thanks, I thought since there wasn't a current Beta in testflight that the 1.06 version was updated with these!

• @Ocsprey said:

@dwrae said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    @Ocsprey

Thanks, I thought since there wasn't a current Beta in testflight that the 1.06 version was updated with these!

Ok then! Thought it was my own user error, turns out it's something to look forward to-

• No, I really dislike the piano roll on this thing - way too many button presses required. Pity.

• Piano Roll is something difficult to get right. The ones I like the most are, in this order, Garageband, Gadget and Auria Pro. There's a lot of talk about Nanostudio's as well, but I never used it.

• Sure. I do HCI for a living, I appreciate the challenge. But I personally could never use it as it stands.

• Version 1.0.7 released:

• Added support for IAA generators as input on an audio track
    • Instrument selection dialog and effects selection dialogs now displays icons for IAA and AU’s
    • Loop and sound font shop now more clearly identify which items are already purchased
    • Splitting a MIDI track could cause a crash when the PRO IAP wasn’t done. Solved.
    • Input button now shows both the input port and channels for audio tracks
    • Solved issue with the Next button getting stuck in virtual keyboard view
    • Solved wrong checksum for Funk Drum Kit
    • Solved crash when opening the instrument selection dialog when a sound font was corrupt.
    • Corrupt sound fonts are now automatically removed on start-up to prevent errors
    • Parameters of built-in effects were not stored in the project. Solved.
    • Solved crash when creating two instrument tracks on some 32-bit iPads
    • On iOS8 systems, the app could erroneously display the message that no network was connected when downloading a sound font. Solved.
  • @cian said:
    No, I really dislike the piano roll on this thing - way too many button presses required. Pity.

We'll do a make-over of the piano roll interaction, thanks for your input.

• Nice update, continue to make App better

• just gave it a test drive - i can't loop a one bar clip it keeps saying loop region too short? am i missing something?

• @dermichl said:
    just gave it a test drive - i can't loop a one bar clip it keeps saying loop region too short? am i missing something?

No, there is currently a minimum duration of 2 audio disk buffers. This will change in the near future.

• @dwrae said:

@dermichl said:
    just gave it a test drive - i can't loop a one bar clip it keeps saying loop region too short? am i missing something?

No, there is currently a minimum duration of 2 audio disk buffers. This will change in the near future.

i see, thanks for responding that fast!!!
    other questions i have are about gui and touch screen - i do have to press very hard on my iPad mini Retina on 9.3.5 to get some touch screen reaction which is not the case with other apps so maybe it's on your end?
    when closing the drum track editor (hitting next top right corner) the playback stops - is this by design?
    i can't zoom in the drum track editor - again by design?

• @dermichl said:

@dwrae said:

@dermichl said:

i see, thanks for responding that fast!!!
    other questions i have are about gui and touch screen - i do have to press very hard on my iPad mini Retina on 9.3.5 to get some touch screen reaction which is not the case with other apps so maybe it's on your end?

It's not that you have to press hard, you need to press-and-hold for a fraction of a second to distinguish between a scroll movement and a placement of a note.

when closing the drum track editor (hitting next top right corner) the playback stops - is this by design?

It is by design, but if it bothers you, then we can look into it.

i can't zoom in the drum track editor - again by design?

Yes, the grid would soon be too small to edit accurately. Your ideas are welcome!

• edited February 2017

@dwrae you're FAST responding for sure :)

editing clips (open, edit, close) without stopping playback is a matter of workflow - it's at least crucial to me.

zooming in the drum editor is related to the looping issue - i was trying to zoom OUT to see 2 whole bars not the other way round!

edit: got the touch action -> solved/answered thanks