Learn Me: iConnectivity Device

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/iconnectivity-iconnectmidi2-multi-host-2x2-midi-interface/4859626.p?skuId=4859626

Can I use 2 iPads and 2 different MIDI devices all at the same time with Audio/Midi being exchanged between the 2 iPads?

I have an exchange here and this appears to be the only item like I can use.

I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP.

«1

Comments

  • Yes. Yes it can.

  • @fauxen said:
    Yes. Yes it can.

    I thought so.

    But, 2 USB ports.

    I can't envision the set up?

  • @fauxen said:
    Yes. Yes it can.

    Ipad Air1
    Ipa Air 2
    Launchpad Pro
    Launchkey

  • @RustiK said:

    @fauxen said:
    Yes. Yes it can.

    Ipad Air1
    Ipa Air 2
    Launchpad Pro
    Launchkey

    Yes
    Yes
    Don't Think So
    "" (unless you have a DIN-to-USB)

  • Since iconnectmidi is meant to be used alongside to some other audio interface as an aggregate device, due to the lack of its own audio out. I'm not sure you'll able to route audio between -iPads and out of them; it will most likely been trapped inside the box.
    But I have successfully used it as a midi only interface via USB hub, managing audio with a USB card for the main pad and eventually the headphones out for the second pad.

  • An iConnectMIDI2+ does not have any means for you to route the audio out of iPad if you don't use another interface as @mschenkel.it said. I use one in an aggregate with other interfaces on macOS for the purpose of integrating an iPad (audio + MIDI) with macOS. I also use an iCM4+ the same way there.

    BUT...

    If you use an iConnectAUDIO2/4+ then indeed, you can get connect two iPads and get the audio out with the single box.

    The iCA2+ does not officially support using two iPads, but it can be made to work that way with a powered USB hub. See my review here:

    http://www.musicinclusive.com/blog/the_iconnectaudio2___a_review/

  • @MusicInclusive said:
    An iConnectMIDI2+ does not have any means for you to route the audio out of iPad if you don't use another interface as @mschenkel.it said. I use one in an aggregate with other interfaces on macOS for the purpose of integrating an iPad (audio + MIDI) with macOS. I also use an iCM4+ the same way there.

    BUT...

    If you use an iConnectAUDIO2/4+ then indeed, you can get connect two iPads and get the audio out with the single box.

    The iCA2+ does not officially support using two iPads, but it can be made to work that way with a powered USB hub. See my review here:

    http://www.musicinclusive.com/blog/the_iconnectaudio2___a_review/

    Thank you

  • @mschenkel.it said:
    Since iconnectmidi is meant to be used alongside to some other audio interface as an aggregate device, due to the lack of its own audio out. I'm not sure you'll able to route audio between -iPads and out of them; it will most likely been trapped inside the box.
    But I have successfully used it as a midi only interface via USB hub, managing audio with a USB card for the main pad and eventually the headphones out for the second pad.

    @MusicInclusive said:
    An iConnectMIDI2+ does not have any means for you to route the audio out of iPad if you don't use another interface as @mschenkel.it said. I use one in an aggregate with other interfaces on macOS for the purpose of integrating an iPad (audio + MIDI) with macOS. I also use an iCM4+ the same way there.

    BUT...

    If you use an iConnectAUDIO2/4+ then indeed, you can get connect two iPads and get the audio out with the single box.

    The iCA2+ does not officially support using two iPads, but it can be made to work that way with a powered USB hub. See my review here:

    http://www.musicinclusive.com/blog/the_iconnectaudio2___a_review/

    What would you use for iPad AUDIO to AUDIO?

    I have a very "ghetto" set up and would like to stream line in 1 device.

    Thanks

  • @mschenkel.it said:
    Since iconnectmidi is meant to be used alongside to some other audio interface as an aggregate device, due to the lack of its own audio out. I'm not sure you'll able to route audio between -iPads and out of them; it will most likely been trapped inside the box.
    But I have successfully used it as a midi only interface via USB hub, managing audio with a USB card for the main pad and eventually the headphones out for the second pad.

    @MusicInclusive said:
    An iConnectMIDI2+ does not have any means for you to route the audio out of iPad if you don't use another interface as @mschenkel.it said. I use one in an aggregate with other interfaces on macOS for the purpose of integrating an iPad (audio + MIDI) with macOS. I also use an iCM4+ the same way there.

    BUT...

    If you use an iConnectAUDIO2/4+ then indeed, you can get connect two iPads and get the audio out with the single box.

    The iCA2+ does not officially support using two iPads, but it can be made to work that way with a powered USB hub. See my review here:

    http://www.musicinclusive.com/blog/the_iconnectaudio2___a_review/

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/iconnectivity-iconnectmidi2-multi-host-2x2-midi-interface/4859626.p?skuId=4859626

    I am just wondering in this ad then they are wrong in saying audio in the description?

    Thanks again.

    (

  • @RustiK said:

    @mschenkel.it said:
    Since iconnectmidi is meant to be used alongside to some other audio interface as an aggregate device, due to the lack of its own audio out. I'm not sure you'll able to route audio between -iPads and out of them; it will most likely been trapped inside the box.
    But I have successfully used it as a midi only interface via USB hub, managing audio with a USB card for the main pad and eventually the headphones out for the second pad.

    @MusicInclusive said:
    An iConnectMIDI2+ does not have any means for you to route the audio out of iPad if you don't use another interface as @mschenkel.it said. I use one in an aggregate with other interfaces on macOS for the purpose of integrating an iPad (audio + MIDI) with macOS. I also use an iCM4+ the same way there.

    BUT...

    If you use an iConnectAUDIO2/4+ then indeed, you can get connect two iPads and get the audio out with the single box.

    The iCA2+ does not officially support using two iPads, but it can be made to work that way with a powered USB hub. See my review here:

    http://www.musicinclusive.com/blog/the_iconnectaudio2___a_review/

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/iconnectivity-iconnectmidi2-multi-host-2x2-midi-interface/4859626.p?skuId=4859626

    I am just wondering in this ad then they are wrong in saying audio in the description?

    Thanks again.

    (

    The iConnectMIDI series - 2+ or 4+ - does iPad -> iPad MIDI AND audio. The issue with these vs. the iConnectAUDIO series is that unless you also use another interface - e.g. within an aggregate on macOS or the like (aggregates on Windoze using ASIO4ALL can be iffy), then you have no way to get the audio out.

    With the iConnectAUDIO2+ or iConnectAUDIO4+, you can send the output out via Line out or phones.

    Note: Do not confuse the iCA2+ or iCA4+ with the latest iConnectAUDIO2/4 which has only a single connection - i.e. you can only connect one computer, iPad, etc.

  • The iConnectMIDI series - 2+ or 4+ - does iPad -> iPad MIDI AND audio. The issue with these vs. the iConnectAUDIO series is that unless you also use another interface - e.g. within an aggregate on macOS or the like (aggregates on Windoze using ASIO4ALL can be iffy), then you have no way to get the audio out.

    With the iConnectAUDIO2+ or iConnectAUDIO4+, you can send the output out via Line out or phones.

    Note: Do not confuse the iCA2+ or iCA4+ with the latest iConnectAUDIO2/4 which has only a single connection - i.e. you can only connect one computer, iPad, etc.

    Why'd they remove that fuctionality? I'd always thought you could connect two iOS devices with the four anyway.

  • @MusicInclusive I've been thinking about live setups that are more complex than my current simple-on-purpose iOS set-up. After looking at all the options with multiple outputs (Kmix etc) and their limitations--and then thinking about inserting a Mac with interface just to get the sound out (ugh), I started wondering if the easiest thing is just to continue to use a stereo pair and give the sound guy an iPad with a remote mixer controller (MIDI designer) paired with AUM via network session on my iPad for front of house mixing. Thoughts on that?

  • @musikmachine said:

    The iConnectMIDI series - 2+ or 4+ - does iPad -> iPad MIDI AND audio. The issue with these vs. the iConnectAUDIO series is that unless you also use another interface - e.g. within an aggregate on macOS or the like (aggregates on Windoze using ASIO4ALL can be iffy), then you have no way to get the audio out.

    With the iConnectAUDIO2+ or iConnectAUDIO4+, you can send the output out via Line out or phones.

    Note: Do not confuse the iCA2+ or iCA4+ with the latest iConnectAUDIO2/4 which has only a single connection - i.e. you can only connect one computer, iPad, etc.

    Why'd they remove that fuctionality? I'd always thought you could connect two iOS devices with the four anyway.

    They didn't remove functionality, they added a new interface :smile: The ConnectAUDIO2/4 is new for NAMM. The other four interfaces - the iCM2+, iCM4+, iCA2+ & iCA4+ are all still out there too :+1:

  • @lukesleepwalker said:
    @MusicInclusive I've been thinking about live setups that are more complex than my current simple-on-purpose iOS set-up. After looking at all the options with multiple outputs (Kmix etc) and their limitations--and then thinking about inserting a Mac with interface just to get the sound out (ugh), I started wondering if the easiest thing is just to continue to use a stereo pair and give the sound guy an iPad with a remote mixer controller (MIDI designer) paired with AUM via network session on my iPad for front of house mixing. Thoughts on that?

    The iConnectAUDIO2+ or iConnectAUDIO4+ may be what you need. Can you perhaps sketch out what connections you have and what you want to achieve a bit more? Might help to give a better suggestion.

  • @MusicInclusive said:

    @lukesleepwalker said:
    @MusicInclusive I've been thinking about live setups that are more complex than my current simple-on-purpose iOS set-up. After looking at all the options with multiple outputs (Kmix etc) and their limitations--and then thinking about inserting a Mac with interface just to get the sound out (ugh), I started wondering if the easiest thing is just to continue to use a stereo pair and give the sound guy an iPad with a remote mixer controller (MIDI designer) paired with AUM via network session on my iPad for front of house mixing. Thoughts on that?

    The iConnectAUDIO2+ or iConnectAUDIO4+ may be what you need. Can you perhaps sketch out what connections you have and what you want to achieve a bit more? Might help to give a better suggestion.

    Launchpad Pro to Air1(for grid and touch apps like samplr slicer etc)
    Launchkey and Nanocontrol to Air2 (DAW and synth apps)

    Able to Audio / Midi between them

    Thanks in advance

  • @RustiK said:

    @MusicInclusive said:

    @lukesleepwalker said:
    @MusicInclusive I've been thinking about live setups that are more complex than my current simple-on-purpose iOS set-up. After looking at all the options with multiple outputs (Kmix etc) and their limitations--and then thinking about inserting a Mac with interface just to get the sound out (ugh), I started wondering if the easiest thing is just to continue to use a stereo pair and give the sound guy an iPad with a remote mixer controller (MIDI designer) paired with AUM via network session on my iPad for front of house mixing. Thoughts on that?

    The iConnectAUDIO2+ or iConnectAUDIO4+ may be what you need. Can you perhaps sketch out what connections you have and what you want to achieve a bit more? Might help to give a better suggestion.

    Launchpad Pro to Air1(for grid and touch apps like samplr slicer etc)
    Launchkey and Nanocontrol to Air2 (DAW and synth apps)

    Able to Audio / Midi between them

    Thanks in advance

    I believe all of the peripherals there are class-compliant - right? So, then, get the iConnectAUDIO4+, add a powered USB hub, connect all the peripherals to the USB hub and the hub to the host port of the iCA4+. Connect up the iPads to the iCA4+, do the audio and MIDI routing you need in iConfig and you are good to go :+1:

    A tip on iConfig. My approach is to clear everything out in terms of routing, then add back in only the routes I need - for both MIDI and audio. Also, keep a clear idea in your mind about what's a source and what's a destination, and, with the mix bus, take care not to create double entries, e.g. from Line in Audio to the mix bus, and also from Line in Audio through to a connected device and out to the mix bus - else you'll get some strange audio interactions - like comb filtering - in the mix. Make sure you've got the signal path from A->B clear in each case therefore.

  • When not on a large PA, this is the home studio ghetto hook up.

  • Basically I run other iPad with this contraptions I am using here with the po

  • @MusicInclusive said:
    The iConnectAUDIO2+ or iConnectAUDIO4+ may be what you need. Can you perhaps sketch out what connections you have and what you want to achieve a bit more? Might help to give a better suggestion.

    Here are my inputs:
    --1/4" in for guitar
    --XLR in for vocals (preferably x2)
    --MIDI DIN in for controller (preferably X2 but could chain MIDI w/ different channels if necessary)

    Here are my desired outputs:
    --mono MIDI guitar out (Tonestack/synth/organ mashed up)
    --mono vocal out (preferably X2)
    --mono drum/percussion out
    --stereo loops out

  • My Minilaunchpad is not recognised by the Iconnect Audio 4+...
    Just to let you know...
    It's one of the rare usb device that does not work with the ICA4+ , might work with the launchpad pro, but not sure. It will 100% sure with midi...

  • In my case, using iConnectMIDI2+, I have an iPad and computer hooked up through an aggregate device (using Scarlett 2i2). This is all I need for my setup. Its enticing to think of consolidating to a single interface though to simplify things overall. @MusicInclusive do you know off hand if there are any other advantages for me to switch to the iConnectAUDIO2+ ?

  • @gkillmaster said:
    In my case, using iConnectMIDI2+, I have an iPad and computer hooked up through an aggregate device (using Scarlett 2i2). This is all I need for my setup. Its enticing to think of consolidating to a single interface though to simplify things overall. @MusicInclusive do you know off hand if there are any other advantages for me to switch to the iConnectAUDIO2+ ?

    Pros of the iCA2+ over the iCM2+:
    Line ins / Line outs / HiZ
    Headphones
    Complete in-device mixing control of channels - USB audio + Line audio
    Touch screen level control

    Cons (if it matters to you):
    Only one DIN MIDI pair.

    However - your current setup, if it works for you may well be all you need. You already have 2 audio ins. You can already route via an aggregate. (You'll get very slightly lower latency 1 or 2 ms with a single device - the iCA2+ - vs. your current combo most likely).

  • @MusicInclusive said:

    @gkillmaster said:
    In my case, using iConnectMIDI2+, I have an iPad and computer hooked up through an aggregate device (using Scarlett 2i2). This is all I need for my setup. Its enticing to think of consolidating to a single interface though to simplify things overall. @MusicInclusive do you know off hand if there are any other advantages for me to switch to the iConnectAUDIO2+ ?

    Pros of the iCA2+ over the iCM2+:
    Line ins / Line outs / HiZ
    Headphones
    Complete in-device mixing control of channels - USB audio + Line audio
    Touch screen level control

    Cons (if it matters to you):
    Only one DIN MIDI pair.

    However - your current setup, if it works for you may well be all you need. You already have 2 audio ins. You can already route via an aggregate. (You'll get very slightly lower latency 1 or 2 ms with a single device - the iCA2+ - vs. your current combo most likely).

    thank you @MusicInclusive , yeh, I'm probably fine but I have persistent crackling issues (not a latency problem) with my 2i2 interface. Sometimes I have to restart my computer to fix it so was wanting to "upgrade" possibly anyways... Thanks for helpful info!

  • edited January 23

    On the iConnectMIDI2+, I have a USB port dedicated to hooking up to my iPad. So audio passthrough and USB MIDI are available through the interface. How does this happen in the new interfaces if I'm using the one USB port to connect directly to my iMac?

    I realized I got the names all mixed up. I was actually originally inquiring about the iConnectAUDIO2/4 and wondering how it compares to the MIDI2+. Sorry for the confusion.

  • @gkillmaster said:
    On the iConnectMIDI2+, I have a USB port dedicated to hooking up to my iPad. So audio passthrough and USB MIDI are available through the interface. How does this happen in the new interfaces if I'm using the one USB port to connect directly to my iMac?

    I realized I got the names all mixed up. I was actually originally inquiring about the iConnectAUDIO2/4 and wondering how it compares to the MIDI2+. Sorry for the confusion.

    Still not quite sure what you want to connect to what there :smile:

    You have what in terms of iPads, macs, etc. ? And what do you want to pass audio / MIDI from where to where? And, with an iCM2+ or an iCA2/4+ - not sure :smile:

    Keep going - we'll get there :smiley: :+1:

  • @MusicInclusive said:

    @gkillmaster said:
    On the iConnectMIDI2+, I have a USB port dedicated to hooking up to my iPad. So audio passthrough and USB MIDI are available through the interface. How does this happen in the new interfaces if I'm using the one USB port to connect directly to my iMac?

    I realized I got the names all mixed up. I was actually originally inquiring about the iConnectAUDIO2/4 and wondering how it compares to the MIDI2+. Sorry for the confusion.

    Still not quite sure what you want to connect to what there :smile:

    You have what in terms of iPads, macs, etc. ? And what do you want to pass audio / MIDI from where to where? And, with an iCM2+ or an iCA2/4+ - not sure :smile:

    Keep going - we'll get there :smiley: :+1:

    O, thanks for this! Ok, I only have an iPad Air 2 and iMac i7 plus a couple MIDI keyboards.

    I use the iPad as a sound source that I send MIDI to, to play synths and return the audio to my desktop. Sometimes I send audio to my iPad and use effects in Audiobus and have the audio come back to my iMac. And at times I play my iPad or use a MIDI generation app and need the MIDI to be sent to my iMac. So basically need to go bother directions with MIDI and audio freely.

    Using my setup is really ok to accomplish this, but I can't charge my iPad with the iConnectMIDI2+ and my Scarlett 2i2 is not 100% compatible in all circumstances with my iMac. So would love one interface to have this capability.

    Someone recommend the Presonus iTwo as well as the iConnectAUDIO 2/4.

    Thanks kindly for your help!

  • @gkillmaster said:
    thank you @MusicInclusive , yeh, I'm probably fine but I have persistent crackling issues (not a latency problem) with my 2i2 interface. Sometimes I have to restart my computer to fix it so was wanting to "upgrade" possibly anyways... Thanks for helpful info!

    Hmm... You may think it's from the i2i , but it coud be the ipad producing the cracklings...
    So first optimise your ipad, AND also check the buffer size of the i2i into your daw, try increasing a bit, that should solve it.
    In the mean time, on the ipad:

    1. kill all fancy effects (into settings)
    2. deactivate notifications
    3. deactivate bluetooth
    4. deactivate wifi if you don't use link with an other ipad
    5. I also kill notifications with links apps, but I activate link of course.

    You might just need the app that connect audio+midi directly from USB to your iPad (can't remember the name, there are two apps doing that) for audio between your ipad and mac...But indeed, there's a lot of midi in/out with the ICM2...+audio already...
    Also, do you use Audiobus or AUM on your ipad ?

  • @gkillmaster said:

    @MusicInclusive said:

    @gkillmaster said:
    On the iConnectMIDI2+, I have a USB port dedicated to hooking up to my iPad. So audio passthrough and USB MIDI are available through the interface. How does this happen in the new interfaces if I'm using the one USB port to connect directly to my iMac?

    I realized I got the names all mixed up. I was actually originally inquiring about the iConnectAUDIO2/4 and wondering how it compares to the MIDI2+. Sorry for the confusion.

    Still not quite sure what you want to connect to what there :smile:

    You have what in terms of iPads, macs, etc. ? And what do you want to pass audio / MIDI from where to where? And, with an iCM2+ or an iCA2/4+ - not sure :smile:

    Keep going - we'll get there :smiley: :+1:

    O, thanks for this! Ok, I only have an iPad Air 2 and iMac i7 plus a couple MIDI keyboards.

    I use the iPad as a sound source that I send MIDI to, to play synths and return the audio to my desktop. Sometimes I send audio to my iPad and use effects in Audiobus and have the audio come back to my iMac. And at times I play my iPad or use a MIDI generation app and need the MIDI to be sent to my iMac. So basically need to go bother directions with MIDI and audio freely.

    Using my setup is really ok to accomplish this, but I can't charge my iPad with the iConnectMIDI2+ and my Scarlett 2i2 is not 100% compatible in all circumstances with my iMac. So would love one interface to have this capability.

    Someone recommend the Presonus iTwo as well as the iConnectAUDIO 2/4.

    Thanks kindly for your help!

    Ah! You can charge the iPad from the iCM2+ with the add-on PSU. Check Amazon for a decent price.

    If you want to replace your 2i2/iCM2+ combo, your only real option is the iConnectAUDIO2+ or 4+. Neither the PreSonus iTwo nor the new ConnectAUDIO2/4 (no i) will do it since they only have one port. You need two ports - one for the iPad, one for the Mac to do what you want.

    The iConnectAUDIO4+ has the advantage of a.) coming with a PSU b.) coming with a USB host port for class-compliant MIDI peripherals c.) having 4 Line ins instead of 2.

    Check out the pros/cons section of my review of the iConnectAUDIO2+ to see some of the tradeoffs of the 2+ vs. the 4+ (there are also some signal quality differences there too that I tabulated).

    http://www.musicinclusive.com/blog/the_iconnectaudio2___a_review/

    What isn't working with the 2i2 for you? Curious.

  • Very great and thorough review!! Thanks again for your help. This has really clarified everything for me.

    The only thing that isn't working for me with the 2i2 is the constant restarting my computer when it glitches out and starts crackling. I've talked to Focusrite customer service and installing the class compliant mode doesn't fix the issue. periodically, it loses its solid connection. Sometimes unplugging and plugging back in works, sometimes I have to restart. The unit was defective from the beginning and I had to send it in to be repaired. My 2i2 if first generation. Not sure if that has anything to do with the audio drop outs.

    But, I'm think I'll just stick with my aggregate setup now that I understand better. Might pick up the power adapter at some point.

  • @crony said:

    @gkillmaster said:
    thank you @MusicInclusive , yeh, I'm probably fine but I have persistent crackling issues (not a latency problem) with my 2i2 interface. Sometimes I have to restart my computer to fix it so was wanting to "upgrade" possibly anyways... Thanks for helpful info!

    Hmm... You may think it's from the i2i , but it coud be the ipad producing the cracklings...
    So first optimise your ipad, AND also check the buffer size of the i2i into your daw, try increasing a bit, that should solve it.
    In the mean time, on the ipad:

    1. kill all fancy effects (into settings)
    2. deactivate notifications
    3. deactivate bluetooth
    4. deactivate wifi if you don't use link with an other ipad
    5. I also kill notifications with links apps, but I activate link of course.

    You might just need the app that connect audio+midi directly from USB to your iPad (can't remember the name, there are two apps doing that) for audio between your ipad and mac...But indeed, there's a lot of midi in/out with the ICM2...+audio already...
    Also, do you use Audiobus or AUM on your ipad ?

    Thank you @crony . These are helpful tips for sure. Though the crackling I'm referring to is while I'm not using the iPad. Seems to be directly related to its interface with OSX cause it happens randomly with any sound source on my iMac. I do use Audiobus at times.

Sign In or Register to comment.