Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tracktion Running on a $35 Raspberry Pi

I can't believe how futurama this is.

Interesting to think about using Tracktion as a synth or an effects host or...

Comments

• What's interesting is that he mentions the Tracktion DAW engine is used in the Roli NOISE app, and can be used modularly in other ways too. That could have a lot of leverage.

• The touchscreen costs more than the pi.

Not a pi person but wonder what the cheapest actually usable system would be.

• @BiancaNeve said:
    The touchscreen costs more than the pi.

Not a pi person but wonder what the cheapest actually usable system would be.

This hints at what's really most interesting to me: "cheapest" would depend on what you want from it. If you can set the pi to boot into a saved Tracktor session with a soft synth on track 1, and that soft synth could accept program changes, it'd be basically free if you already own a USB midi controller (and the pi has USB, think they all do).

Seems to me that if you were to eschew the need to look at recorded track, one of these little PIs, a korg nanokontrol and an audio interface could serve as a multi-tracker on the cheap. super duper cheap.

Or think of other pieces of music gear that's worked without a UI. A looper, a field recorder, an fx unit...

I don't know where this is going to go but damn, $35 bucks is an insane base price for that kind of power. Hopefully makers do what they do and Tracktion is successful in gaining some... wait for it... wait for it...

• so what kind of instruments can you load in and use vst plugins with this?

• @MusicInclusive said:
    What's interesting is that he mentions the Tracktion DAW engine is used in the Roli NOISE app, and can be used modularly in other ways too. That could have a lot of leverage.

Yeah it will be interesting to see where that goes. Though, what he failed to mention there is that Roli recently hired Julian Storer, the initial developer of Tracktion. :) The news was that ROLI purchased his C++ framework "JUCE" but the real win was getting him.

• @5pinlink said:
    No VST, it is an ARM CPU so wont run VST that was designed for X86, Reaper has had a Pi build for over a year, If that is all that Tracktion have brought new to the show it is sad times indeed.

I didn't realize that. I have loved Reaper.

Still, it could be different. Tracktion may have resources in place to actually push this stuff. They said they were working on an inexpensive/high-quality audio I/O board for instance.

• The Reaper ARM build isn't complete (it mostly works, but then Reaper on Linux has 'mostly' worked for a while now).

When Reaper officially runs on Linux I will be very happy. As a DAW Reaper is fantastic (as MIDI editor not so much).

• @5pinlink said:
    No VST, it is an ARM CPU so wont run VST that was designed for X86, Reaper has had a Pi build for over a year, If that is all that Tracktion have brought new to the show it is sad times indeed.

It might be sad for people who don't care about it and wanted something else, but I think it's an interesting and promising development.

• @overorange said:

@5pinlink said:

It might be sad for people who don't care about it and wanted something else, but I think it's an interesting and promising development.

Agreed. Also the Tracktion GUI is far superior for smaller screens. Much as I love Reaper, it's UI is not the best.

• Actually the most exciting thing to me was when he said they would be bringing out the custom Raspberry PI devices. That PI with the card embedded on the chip sounds sweet. Especially if they produce enough of those things and bring the price down.