Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What is the best sound card for iPad at the time (with new connector)???

2»

Comments

• I'm quite happy with the Akai EIE, even though it is only 16 bit. Four combo jacks plus three USB ports, aside from the USB port connecting to the iPad. Phantom power, insert effects loop, and four outputs. I had three 3 analog instruments and a USB midi keyboard into it and laid down four tracks simultaneously with two friends this weekend, using Cubasis. I haven't tested it with my Macbook yet. I need to dust that off and give it a try.

• @JohninBoston: Thank you for your quick reply. I've sent a request AND will give the German support a call, as soon as offices are open....

• I have just talked to the official German Focusrite Support:
    "An ipad Mix Control App is NOT planed because it is not possible to run mix control and USB driver functionality simultaneously"... The focusrite guy also said, he has not heard of anybody at focusrite working on that problem and recommended to buy the smaller interfaces... well, that's sad news... rest of it just works fine.
    Did anyone of you also call the support ?

• "...because it is not possible to run mix control and USB driver functionality simultaneously"...

What does the Focusrite guy mean by that? For the benefit of dummies like me, can any iOS dev reading this thread throw any light on what he might have been talking about?

• I got an email response from an actual person about a week after I sent in the feature request for an iOS Mix Control. But it was roughly along the lines of "we're thinking about it," which I interpreted as "no", at least until more people as for it.

• edited March 2013

I'm excited about the new Apogee interfaces that are iOS compatible.
    http://www.apogeedigital.com

The new version of ONE looks perfect for me, really nice built in microphone, can run off of DC or battery power, 2 inputs (although it is 1 XLR and 1 1/4" input), and charges the device while connected. Sound quality will no doubt be on par with other Apogee interfaces.

I've been using the Jam since they came out and I love it, and I'm going to upgrade my 1st gen Duet, I'm a bit torn between the ONE and the DUET. The Quartet is tempting but overkill for my needs.

• @HoldernessMedia

Thanks for the tip! Finally! Native support for 30-pin and lightning with idevice charging!
    Why can't any other company (iU2 tascam is now discontinued) make more of these?

The downside for me is no standard MIDI in/out, I use FCB1010 and it has no MIDI over USB, unless... is there a way to connect MIDI to USB via MIDI interface??? will check...

• edited March 2013

@ToniFranco

If you get the Duet or Quartet you should be able to plug your FCB1010 directly into either Apogee interface using a USB-MIDI converter cable like this.

USB-MIDI-Converter cable

I have a few of those and they are surprisingly reliable on both iOS and OS X, and you really can't get any cheaper than that. There's plenty of other cables out there as well that should work as long as they're class compliant.

• @ToniFranco - the Akai EIE has the standard 5 pin DIN I/O and USB MIDI, along with four combo XLR/1/4" jacks. I've had mine for a few weeks now and haven't had any problems with it. The only downsides are that it is 16 bit (still sounds good to me for what I'm using it for) and no charging of the iOS device. The iOS connection is USB-B, so I use a USB-A to lightning adaptor.