Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Headphone Jack Royally Screwed Up

edited January 2017 in Other

Hi everybody. So, for the past month, I've been having issues with my iPad Air 2. The down volume button is stuck in an up position (luckily it's not stuck in a down position), and recently my headphone jack became very worn where I try to plug in my headphones and it just won't stay in. The most minor nudge could distort the sound (as if I had taken out the mids in a mid-side mode situation).

So, my question is, as I prepare to purchase an iPad Pro 2 9.7" once it arrives in March, is it at all possible to use the headphone lightning port adapter that would normally be used with the iPhone 7 to connect my headphones to my iPad Air 2? Would a Korg PlugKey work? I am running the latest iOS release. Thanks in advance for any clearing up.

(One other thing to note. The cost to repair the iPad would most likely take a huge chunk of money out of my wallet, and I'd prefer to save for a new iPad instead.)

Comments

• I have no clue about the iphone 7 adapter, but I do feel your pain. Headphone jack screwed up on my air one, which led to my Air 2 purchase. Happier in the long run, but disappointed it didnt even make it a year.

• I can use my iPhone 7 lightning to jack adapter on my iPad 4. No problemo

• Yes, the lightening headphone port adaptor works just fine with the Air2.

• Just out of curiosity...
    Since the Lightning to Headphone jack has a dedicated D/A converter in it how does it compare to the built-in one in the Air 2? (I suspect no major difference at all).

• @Samu said:
    Just out of curiosity...
    Since the Lightning to Headphone jack has a dedicated D/A converter in it how does it compare to the built-in one in the Air 2? (I suspect no major difference at all).

I expect the DA converter in the adapter will be exactly the same as the one inside the iPad itself (if it is made by Apple).

• I know that there's been tests showing that the only difference between the adaptor and the built in jack on an iPhone6s is 2dB less dynamic range. So I'd expect it to be more or less the same on the Air2. I can't hear a difference FWIW.

• This is good news! :) Only being out $9 is not a major hit on the wallet one iota. Thanks mates.

• edited February 2017

Good way is using CCK and USB hub and USB DAC !
    Even guitar is working too by the cheap USB DAC :-)

• @bether said:
    Good way is using CCK and USB hub and USB DAC

Aww, it's adorable!!

• Personally i would get an audio interface. It will bypass the volume controls on the ipad and you get much better dac than the headphone adapter, better input/output signals and overall connectivity(especially if you buy one with midi ports).

Buying used wouldnt be much more expensive than the headphone adapter, so i think its a no brainer.

• I'm sure you've done this already, but if you haven't: take a safety pin to the jack and make sure that some lint hasn't invaded?

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    I'm sure you've done this already, but if you haven't: take a safety pin to the jack and make sure that some lint hasn't invaded?

Yes. Do this for sure, but maybe find a plastic equivalent of a pin. Clean out the lightning port periodically as well (definitely don't want metal stuck up in there).

• I know it's bulky but a case with flaps that cover the ports is a must for my iPhone.

• This do-dad was $10

Don't see why it wouldn't help also.

It is headphone/mic via USB --- I use it for PO or ghetto fast hook ups for unplanned throw downs

• A lot of these devices are awesome. My issue is, I would need a device that allows both the headphone jack AND the power to be supplied at the same time through the same lightning connector. Is there any device out there that can get me that? :)

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    A lot of these devices are awesome. My issue is, I would need a device that allows both the headphone jack AND the power to be supplied at the same time through the same lightning connector. Is there any device out there that can get me that? :)

The one in my pic i believe. NOT THE POWERED HUB- the little thing)

You need the lightning/camera / with charging jack.

You charge with that and the USB plug has MIC or PHONE jack.

AUM has this as option for input and output.

• edited February 2017

I highly recommend the Beringher U-control UCA 202. I got it at Amazon for like less than $30 and it is truly awsome! It has super low power usage requirement, meaning it gets powered by the iphone or ipad alone, and has an independent headphone out with volume control, plus separate stereo out and stereo ins to record guitar, bass, or even send audio from Garageband on your iphone to the ipad! You do need to buy the CCK adapter though, and i recommend getting an Apple original not an chinese aftermaket one. I got mine on ebay for like 20 bucks shipped, and everything Works like a charm!

• Okay, I was not specific enough. What I meant was, a device that not only allows the audio, but also charges the iPad at the same time. A "power thru" device so that I don't run out of battery power when producing music.

• wimwim
    edited February 2017

That plus the powered Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter seems like it would do it.

(Some people, myself included, get AC buzz when using the powered CCK with an audio interface. Others not. I use a battery power bank to get around the problem.)

• Here I was thinking my good friend Headphone Jack had made another big mistake!

• @wim said:
    That plus the powered Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter seems like it would do it.

(Some people, myself included, get AC buzz when using the powered CCK with an audio interface. Others not. I use a battery power bank to get around the problem.)

I thought it was my audio input! the buzz yeah

• Hook up to a battery and see if that takes away the noise. If so then it's your AC power. Not much you can do about it.

• @wim said:
    Hook up to a battery and see if that takes away the noise. If so then it's your AC power. Not much you can do about it.

Little deductive reasoning for the ages -- an ios who done it............ok enough of this voice I am doing

• Can anyone recommend a jack adapter with seperate lighning connection?I know there are many and all should do the trick but just in case i would like to plug something like a midi keyboard in as well...and when i think of the CCK,many chinese or cheap ones can stop working out of nowhere...(with Audio/Midi stuff).