Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Peter Vogel CMI update

Didn't see this posted anywhere - updated the app last night:

What's New in Version 2.3
IMPROVEMENTS

• A new MIDI engine allows connection via the most common Virtual MIDI protocol - OMAC/MidiBus

• Tapping the on-screen keyboard's MIDI display brings up a MIDI control panel that allows you to turn on and off all the physical and virtual MIDI inputs, and allows you to connect to Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE MIDI) devices.

• Now responds to a few MIDI continuous controllers:
• modulation wheel input: controls vibrato (LFO)
• controller 7: main amplifier gain
• controller 10: pan
Please let us know what other controllers you want, doing what.

• Now responds to MIDI MMC messages if a song has been loaded in Page R:
• START: starts playing the song from the beginning
• STOP: pauses song playback
• CONTINUE: continues playing from where it paused
• note that although MMC messages are processed, CLOCK IN is not used. The CMI app can not yet synch to an external clock source.

• Experimental - sends MIDI MMC messages if a song has been loaded in Page R:
• START: when the song starts playing from the beginning
• STOP: when the song pauses song playback
• CONTINUE: when the song continues playing from where it paused
• CLOCK: (yes, much requested) a standard MIDI 24-ticks-per-quarter-note clock is output while the song is playing.
Please let us know how Clock Out works for you.

• Allows audio output via Bluetooth

BUG FIXES

• Fixes the Page R invisible music keyboard on smaller iPhones

• Fixes a bug where newly inserted notes in Page R sometimes did not play

• Fixes edited waveform not playing sometimes; displays warning if edited waveform is not saved

• Fixes the inability to connect as an IAA input for apps such as Auria

• Fixes the MIDI pitch wheel input, which was getting stuck at a semitone low.

• The CMI app is now once again visible in MidiBridge, so it can receive MIDI from non-Core-Midi devices not directly supported by the CMI app.

• Fixes the crunchy sound on the startup song.

Anyone using this in their productions? I have it and am waiting until the opportunity presents itself - it's tough because it's no longer a viable "sampler" as it once had been as the sound quality is only 8-bit. I figure if I mangle the sound enough with Moebius Lab or something I can make it really interesting....

Comments

• No problem - this was a HUGE update, so I'm hoping to dive into it a bit more in the next couple nights.

• I think they'd get a lot more sales if they did a 50% off promotion. The CMI app is all about nostalgia, not really for making new songs now as there are better alternatives.

• Blue Weaver's old Fairlight CMI IIx

• hoped it would send multichannel midi from the sequencer, as it's mentioned as a source.
    Nothing sent... what a pity. I really like that crude sequencer.

• I agree with the sale idea - for me the CMI is a glorified sample library. I'd like to dig in to this app a bit more, but I've got such a huge learning curve with all the synths I bought but haven't yet learned!

• I sprung for the Pro out of nostalgia for something that came before I was even born. About to devote a night to making a track with page R and pretend I'm limited by 80s technology. You may say I'm crazy, and to that I say I'm on pot. Weee

• I can't think of any other app where you pay more fot the name/history/legend .. whatever than the pro version of this. Peter vogal comes across as really nice guy and it'd be nice to have this for the nostagia but £40 :o do me a favour :s

• Yeah, it's more of a glimpse into the past, but it's a fun one! Especially if you like the sequencer, which I've learned tonight that I do very much.

• edited January 2017

the sequencer in it's simplicity is outstanding - it's worth the price because there's no alternative.
    The library is cool and brings back acoustic memories, but the core feature is Page-R.
    (so much more inspiring than Logic/Cubase and it's style influences what comes out of the thing)
    Not to forget the productivity idea behind Page-R.

There's an export feature for multichannel midi via iTunes, but that's an annoying bunch of extra steps.

• Listening to this on YouTube yesterday, some amazing sounds on there, too pricey for my kidneys though

• If you like the sounds, just pick up the $10 version

• Nice video - almost makes me tempted.

• edited January 2017

Just checked the apps history.... it's never been on sale

• @PhilW said:
    The CMI app is all about nostalgia, not really for making new songs now as there are better alternatives.

It's odd that the Fairlight is about the same vintage as the 808, 303 and 909 and produces classic sounds, but seems to have become "dated" rather than "timeless."

• @bigcatrik said:

@PhilW said:
    The CMI app is all about nostalgia, not really for making new songs now as there are better alternatives.

It's odd that the Fairlight is about the same vintage as the 808, 303 and 909 and produces classic sounds, but seems to have become "dated" rather than "timeless."

Probably because the CMI has never been affordable for the masses unlike those other boxes. Once it when out of fashion in the big studios the sound disappeared relegating it to 'the '80s'.

• @pichi said:

@bigcatrik said:

@PhilW said:

Probably because the CMI has never been affordable for the masses unlike those other boxes. Once it when out of fashion in the big studios the sound disappeared relegating it to 'the '80s'.

Plus not a sound generator (I know it could do some of that, but that's not the sound we're talking about), so little that couldn't be done smaller and cheaper. Few mourn the death of a rompler.

• Few mourn the death of a rompler.

Start of a niche-market poem right there...

• Or a lyric?

• edited January 2017

@Arpseechord said:

I much appreciate Peter Vogel's attitude. Either you recognize an app's value or just leave it and stop complaining.
    'Sales' is the biggest bullshit that ever happened to IOS.

@ksound said:
    Plus not a sound generator (I know it could do some of that, but that's not the sound we're talking about), so little that couldn't be done smaller and cheaper. ...

the original CMI maxed out what was available at that time. It was a quite sophisticated sound generator and while indeed it used the scheme of a rompler, there's little in common with what we associate today with that technology.
    The IOS version tries to mimic that processing as good as it gets, the hardware (anniversary) even closer.
    There's a lot of such 'outdated' stuff that still cuts today. Old Lexicons and AKG reverbs come to mind, the fx units of Ensoniq, etc.

• @Telefunky said:

@Arpseechord said:

I much appreciate Peter Vogel's attitude. Either you recognize an app's value or just leave it and stop complaining.

@ksound said:
    Plus not a sound generator (I know it could do some of that, but that's not the sound we're talking about), so little that couldn't be done smaller and cheaper. ...

the original CMI maxed out what was available at that time. It was a quite sophisticated sound generator and while indeed it used the scheme of a rompler, there's little in common with what we associate today with that technology.
    The IOS version tries to mimic that processing as good as it gets, the hardware (anniversary) even closer.
    There's a lot of such 'outdated' stuff that still cuts today. Old Lexicons and AKG reverbs come to mind, the fx units of Ensoniq, etc.

If I'm complaining it's very mild. Guess it's the after effects of the barage of holiday sales and I was curious so I checked to see this apps history. I kind of agree with your take on app sales but it's not beneath top tier companies like Korg, Moog etc... to have sales
    I just bought Wolfgang Palms' Phonem knowing well his apps never go on sale but I saw the value of gettng it. With the CMI I'm doubtful that a sale would get me to splurge but I am human and can change my mind :)
    Cheers

• @Arpseechord said:

@Telefunky said:

@Arpseechord said:

@ksound said:

If I'm complaining it's very mild. Guess it's the after effects of the barage of holiday sales and I was curious so I checked to see this apps history. I kind of agree with your take on app sales but it's not beneath top tier companies like Korg, Moog etc... to have sales
    I just bought Wolfgang Palms' Phonem knowing well his apps never go on sale but I saw the value of gettng it. With the CMI I'm doubtful that a sale would get me to splurge but I am human and can change my mind :)
    Cheers

Just bought Phonem too. Funny isn't it. 'Resented' paying twenty for an app I'll probably not use much/really get to grip with, but also respect his position/choice and -beyond my selfish consuming nature- think the work involved is a bargain at the money...

• The Pro version is a sampler not a rompler. The sampler is 8 bit.

• edited January 2017

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Arpseechord said:

@Telefunky said:

@Arpseechord said:

@ksound said:

Cheers

Just bought Phonem too. Funny isn't it. 'Resented' paying twenty for an app I'll probably not use much/really get to grip with, but also respect his position/choice and -beyond my selfish consuming nature- think the work involved is a bargain at the money...

In regards to Phonem I was so impressed with the many videos online especially Smark
    Markus Stadelmann soundscapes. I have a particular interest in the voice so I was glad and excited to get it. Most of my music production apps I've purchased have been good with some regrets here and there....my main regrets were the truck load of video games I purchased in the past and that are now delegated to the dust heap of "waste of precious time"
    I have no doubt much hard work has gone into CMI but right now I'm just trying to learn to use what I've got now and be happy with that. Trying to quell my acquisition muscle for the time being.....

• FWIW I still think it kind of silly to complain about prices on the App Store. Yes, it's expensive compared to other apps. But first of all, it's pennies compared to most desktop plugins. And secondly, unlike a $5 app, it forces you to consider whether you actually want it, and when you decide that you do, the price paid will encourage you to actually learn how to use it.

Now I do realize that $50 can be a legitimate barrier of entry. In Canada, is actually running for $70 due to the poor exchange rate. But nonetheless, if and when I decide to upgrade to Pro, you can bet I'll figure out how to use it properly.

• @jrjulius said:
    FWIW I still think it kind of silly to complain about prices on the App Store. Yes, it's expensive compared to other apps. But first of all, it's pennies compared to most desktop plugins. And secondly, unlike a $5 app, it forces you to consider whether you actually want it, and when you decide that you do, the price paid will encourage you to actually learn how to use it.

Now I do realize that $50 can be a legitimate barrier of entry. In Canada, is actually running for $70 due to the poor exchange rate. But nonetheless, if and when I decide to upgrade to Pro, you can bet I'll figure out how to use it properly.

That's why Canadians wait for sales.....then we're paying the regular price!
    Just kidding :D

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Arpseechord said:

@Telefunky said:

@Arpseechord said:

@ksound said:

Cheers

It's a great deal for phonem because I'm sure you've heard it's equal to it's vst plugin and that is $154 USD! Great deal indeed

• @Arpseechord said:

That's actually (almost) true. I bought iWavestation on launch day, not because I actually wanted it that day but because I may want it before the next sale. Regular price is about $55 CAD.

• edited January 2017

@jrjulius said:

@Arpseechord said:

That's actually (almost) true. I bought iWavestation on launch day, not because I actually wanted it that day but because I may want it before the next sale. Regular price is about $55 CAD.

Same here! Bought it on launch day plus the iap.