Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Akai's new standalone MPC looks awesome

Comments

• @kobamoto :Wow, the IMPC does that? Do you use it? I seem to remember some people complaining about it on here though.

• right now I'm not using any of the beat machine apps on iOS, besides elastic drums, seek beats, and patterning but transient detection worked fine for me on the impc. I had terrible issues with animoog and iaa and decided to not use it until it was addressed. still waiting on the fix.

• Just watched sonicstates podcast and they have filmed a segment with the mpc live (not yet released) and nick batt seems pretty impressed.. I'm already squirrelling away cash for this beast

• Anyone want to buy a VP9000 with zip drive and power transformer? Australia XD

• @kobamoto said:

@Telstar5 said:
    @kobamoto : The MPC DOES have transient detection???

yes the impc pro calls it transient detection and the current mpcs call it threshold slicing.

If you want something more low budget that does that the Electribe Sampler 2 does it. It's pretty limited and sample saving is a bitch but it's a nice battery powered machine. Sold mine when Ableton announced the new Simpler device and Push 2 became like a must have for me.

• @kobamoto said:
    right now I'm not using any of the beat machine apps on iOS, besides elastic drums, seek beats, and patterning but transient detection worked fine for me on the impc. I had terrible issues with animoog and iaa and decided to not use it until it was addressed. still waiting on the fix.

I remember you having that problem a while back. I could never duplicate it on my Ipad Air running IOS 9.3.3. I recently switched to an Ipad Pro 9.7 running IOS 10.2. I tested Animoog into iMPC Pro via IAA and it still worked fine. Maybe you need to uninstall both apps completely and see if works after reinstalling from scratch.

• @Dham said:

@kobamoto said:
    right now I'm not using any of the beat machine apps on iOS, besides elastic drums, seek beats, and patterning but transient detection worked fine for me on the impc. I had terrible issues with animoog and iaa and decided to not use it until it was addressed. still waiting on the fix.

I remember you having that problem a while back. I could never duplicate it on my Ipad Air running IOS 9.3.3. I recently switched to an Ipad Pro 9.7 running IOS 10.2. I tested Animoog into iMPC Pro via IAA and it still worked fine. Maybe you need to uninstall both apps completely and see if works after reinstalling from scratch.

I've done that a million times, the thing is that moog and retronyms have reproduced it, moog says it's retronyms and retronyms said they'll address it, and that was back then :(

• @kobamoto said:

@Dham said:

@kobamoto said:

I've done that a million times, the thing is that moog and retronyms have reproduced it, moog says it's retronyms and retronyms said they'll address it, and that was back then :(

Is that really the only reason you don't use iMPC Pro?

• edited January 2017

yep.... don't get me wrong the impc has some exceptional features that no other mpc has not even the mpc live or mpc x ...... for some reason I'm the only one that thinks its cool but the way that each sequence in the impc pro has it's own mixer set up is super super super dope..... and for me its an unintended sort of snapshots feature. You can make a sequence, then do stuff with the mixer settings including automation of fx, copy the sequence and do different automation, copy that sequence and do even more different automation and everything will be intact when you play those sequences back to back. I think it's very impressive and nobody else that I know of is doing it.. I wish they would allow sequence lengths smaller than 2 bars so i could build stuff bar by bar but it's still a very unique feature for a sampling, slicing, beat machine......

but for me Samplr comes first and is the reason why I have the iPad in the first place so even when I use the impc it ends up in Samplr. anyway I had a drumpad that I was using just for the impc pro but I sold it along time ago, and it's different using it with a controller than by itself, doesn't feel like samplr at all, and samplr imo is the best for creating ghost notes and is also the best app in my opinion if you can't stand waiting for Hermutt Lobby to allow sample import into plaground cause you can basically do the playground kind of triggering by sliding between slices in samplr.

• do you have it Syrupcore?

• I do. Long uninstalled and at this point I can't even remember the things that were pissing me off about it.

• @kobamoto said:

anyway I had a drumpad that I was using just for the impc pro but I sold it along time ago, and it's different using it with a controller than by itself, doesn't feel like samplr at all, and samplr imo is the best for creating ghost notes and is also the best app in my opinion if you can't stand waiting for Hermutt Lobby to allow sample import into plaground cause you can basically do the playground kind of triggering by sliding between slices in samplr.

I know what you mean, using iMPC Pro with the Element gives you that "standalone feeling":)

• yep with a flip up screen :)

• @syrupcore said:
    Akai is owned by music conglomerate InMusic (http://inmusicbrands.com/brands). They have been putting out recycled meh for several years now. There are the occasional successes (akai controllers are pretty solid) but they have earned some skepticism at this point.

Plus, InMusic is owned by ol bastard Jack.

That Linn vid always cracks me up :D
    Not interested in Wakai's bastard products

• when is that linn drum 2 coming out?

• How can anyone take this seriously? There's no wooden end cheeks. There's not even any woodgrain or bolt heads on the onscreen graphics.

• That overview was great, I'm defiitely more interested in it now than I was when they first leaked it.

• edited January 2017

Another video of real life use for those of you who want to see how it works:

Interesting opinions (as most of yours) of true users of the olds:
    http://www.digitalvertigo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=39766

@sonicreef said:

@Dham said:

@sonicreef said:

@Dham said:

@Thomas said:
    So... how may iPad pros will I go thru during the lifespan of the mpcX? How many audio interfaces will I invest in and f^(I< around with instead of making music during that time? Yeah, I'm beginning to think I can justify it.

Just to play Devil's Advocate, lifespan of recent MPC products has not been their strong suit. Akai has been notoriously bad at maintaining even their flagship products. MPC 5000 users are still waiting for bug fixes that Akai promised over 3 years ago.

Akai has focused all their efforts on the software line, and has continuously updated the software.
    The new hardware MPCs are based off the software, so they'll be updated for years to come.

I hope so. Since they moved into the software arena it seems as if they have not invested in the necessary software development resources to keep up. Dan Gill remarked at a recent NAMM that Akai was the "biggest little" company in the world. Their staff at the time consisted of a couple of project managers, 5 software engineers and 1 hardware engineer. Their tech. support staff is woefully small as well. It is a tough market and I would like to see them do well. Competition benefits us all.

I used to work in that team, it was indeed small. Exceptional engineers though.

Now I have some questions for @sonicreef
    It's the jjOS developer the hardware tech in these team you have been part? Was jjOS (or the suposed akaiOS new version which should be) developed by someone else at early stage? Since it was a broke between the jjOS developer and Akai and jjOS seems the missed piece in the legacy line... we can expect any feature from the olds in the news?

To back in topic...
    I can understand the love for self-contained box or transient slicing, pitchshifting/timestretching (since I had 3 Roland variOS and sp404/555 in addition to other grooveboxes and deal with some mpcs with friends) as "workflow" but I still believe people should be aware of hypeself until try them since most of the "workflow" could be not there. Maybe these will be better or maybe as Nukai usually done they are left in the wild... but buying for "legacy workflow" or thight midi implementation only to be "akai" in the side is more or less the same to buy an akai Wolf for wood panels.

I hope this help people who search for truth. Aside the answer from @sonicreef I'm out of this topic since I think (IMO) AudioBus forum isn't the better place to discuss this since I don't go Numark forums to point how iPads are better than standalone machines (but I do it in all other places where people get hyped without had been proved them and searching for "legacy workflow" delivered from someone I suspect has nothing to relate to the new mpcs)

Let's see how goes at all.

• Now I have some questions for @sonicreef
    It's the jjOS developer the hardware tech in these team you have been part? Was jjOS (or the suposed akaiOS new version which should be) developed by someone else at early stage? Since it was a broke between the jjOS developer and Akai and jjOS seems the missed piece in the legacy line... we can expect any feature from the olds in the news?

jj (the Japanese Jenius :wink: ) was involved in the MPC 1000/2500 firmware, and that was before my time.
    I joined in 2010 (I actually was the original developer of the software MPC), and left in early 2015.
    When I worked there, I was closely looking at JJOS, because there were really good ideas in there.

I don't know how much development effort they are making towards legacy products. I'd think they focus more on the new line of products, instead of dealing with a small percentage of people waiting for a 5000 update.

• @sonicreef said:

jj (the Japanese Jenius :wink: ) was involved in the MPC 1000/2500 firmware, and that was before my time.
    I joined in 2010 (I actually was the original developer of the software MPC), and left in early 2015.
    When I worked there, I was closely looking at JJOS, because there were really good ideas in there.

I don't know how much development effort they are making towards legacy products. I'd think they focus more on the new line of products, instead of dealing with a small percentage of people waiting for a 5000 update.

Thanks a lot. Now everyone could make their own conclusions.

• @echoopera said:
    New SonicState video overview of device

thanks for the video Echoopera

• @Dubbylabby said:

@sonicreef said:

Thanks a lot. Now everyone could make their own conclusions.

This actually bodes well for the new MPCs since they're running (re/cross)compiled desktop software that they're likely to continue to invest in.

@sonicreef look forward to any insider info you get from the next old-team happy hour. :)

• @echoopera said:

New SonicState video overview of device

Great overview, the clip launch with the classic mpc programming is pretty wild..
    Like export a bunch of gadget loops to a usb/iOS thumb drive and load them up on the Live clip launch. Then record a synth or samplr jam session alongside your track as an audio track.
    Then record an acoustic or vocal track to another audio track. Then create your beats and sample chops using the traditional seq. Powerful!

I really love the ease of nudging the hits around on the touchscreen/wheel combo. That is how I program my drums but was always slow to do this on old mpc's.

Also so great that you can plug in a qwerty kb to rename samples...!!!

• again, they look like they have created something that if stable will be valuable for years to come regardless of computer specs that come and go, and viable far into the future even if you don't use it along with it's computer counterpart.... this is what they are good at.

• Only thing left to know for me is how the jitter is.

• Am I correct here from watching the sonic state video that as a standalone, the MPC live has eight sequencing tracks?
    Also to my thinking , sampling from the iPad might be butt-backwards.. I'm thinking , sampling on the Akai and run it through apps like "Fieldsxaper" etc for creative mangling and processing.

• Wouldn't it be nice(r) with the full MPC2.0 for iOS (ex. an 'over-the-top' update to iMPC Pro) ;)