Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Akai's new standalone MPC looks awesome

Comments

• the current nukai software is doing quite well and stable.

• @mannix said:

@mireko_2 said:

@Tommygun said:
    Calm down, guys - it's still a Nukai product ;)

This is the truest comment here, thanks for the reality check :smiley: :disappointed:

Yep. I have a fierce want for this thing but I'll be waiting for other, braver souls to go first.

Maybe stupid question, but what is Nukai?

Akai is owned by music conglomerate InMusic (http://inmusicbrands.com/brands). They have been putting out recycled meh for several years now. There are the occasional successes (akai controllers are pretty solid) but they have earned some skepticism at this point.

Plus, InMusic is owned by ol bastard Jack.

• @mireko_2 said:

@mannix said:

@mireko_2 said:

@Tommygun said:

This is the truest comment here, thanks for the reality check :smiley: :disappointed:

Akai used to be amazing with the quality of their hardware and quite good with their standalone software, then they fell on hard times and Numark bought Akai. The machines released after this merger had quality control problems and OS bugs that never got fixed.
    This new Mpc will hopefully not have the same corner cutting as the mpc5000 but who knows? Nukai have released many crap products under the Akai brand name, but I'm hoping they wouldn't do it with their most iconic product line (again)

Most of them samplers or pads.

• @5pinlink said:

@alecsbuga said:
    I had the MPC Touch and it was awesome. I just couldn't get along with the software on the mac.
    The standalone is my wish come true. Added bonus: it works with the included MPC 2.0 as a controller

If you don't like the software on the Mac, you may not like the software on the hardware, the v2 software running on these is very similar to 1.9

NO it's not. I said I didn't liked the Mac OS X software. The touch interface was awesome.

MPC 2.0 (which runs on the MPC hardware too) is much better. It has audio tracks with time warp, it has reworked mixer, and also it looks way way better. More like Machine or Logic.

I can hardly wait to get my hands on it.
    I think my Push 2 will go bye bye.

I've been waiting for YEARS for a beast like this. Standalone, powerful, battery powered. I had the Electribes 2 which they were almost there, but the sampling part was awful.

• @mireko_2 said:
    Workflow:
    Create loops on my iPad, sample to Mpc, create song structure and composition, track into my daw to master..

You don't have to track anything bro...
    You just open the project on the desktop.. like Garage Band iPad and Logic X. It's magic

• edited January 2017

@alecsbuga said:

@mireko_2 said:
    Workflow:
    Create loops on my iPad, sample to Mpc, create song structure and composition, track into my daw to master..

You don't have to track anything bro...
    You just open the project on the desktop.. like Garage Band iPad and Logic X. It's magic

Yes good point :smile: I'm still thinking in oldskool mpc standalone mode haha

Though with the live pad trigger mode and XY fx I might still end up tracking out a performance

• edited January 2017

YOu don't need to.
    I had the MPC Touch... and you can record performance in arrangement view
    You can create multiple sequences with the same sounds... basically like multiple drafts. each can have a diff length.

Basically you make a super long arrangement with the same loop and record performance (track mutes, solos, launch clips).
    It's way more powerful than maschine.

• @alecsbuga said:
    YOu don't need to.
    I had the MPC Touch... and you can record performance in arrangement view
    You can create multiple sequences with the same sounds... basically like multiple drafts. each can have a diff length.

Basically you make a super long arrangement with the same loop and record performance (track mutes, solos, launch clips).
    It's way more powerful than maschine.

Wow ok.. I just started creating a pile of gear in the corner of my room to sell to buy this thing haha

• I don't see any mention of midi sequencing or track count. Does it only record audio + the internal drums or can one record and drive multiple midi devices from within an internal arrangement?

• @Trentsongs said:
    I don't see any mention of midi sequencing or track count. Does it only record audio + the internal drums or can one record and drive multiple midi devices from within an internal arrangement?

@5pinlink said:
    Unfortunately track count and polyphony can not be used in marketing, there are way to many factors that will limit these one way or the other, so if you use more effects, you will have less polyphony and so on.
    You can sequence external instruments.

Thought I heard 128 tracks in one of the videos.

• I think Circuit Pro is on my list of options for future.

However, I think IPAD pros up from my Air 1 and 2 are more practical for me.

I also am aiming this year to get a drum machine and a granny synth/sequencer and more hardware for showcasing IOS stuff.

• edited January 2017

I understand the standalone angle except that this has a massive screen which kinda puts it in the computer category.

I'd rather get 2 Ipads with their dedicated controllers, link them and have same or more with less money. Yes, there is the stability of the dedicated software but still that's shed loads of cash for a screen, few buttons and ehm... Software ;

• @syrupcore said:

@mannix said:

@mireko_2 said:

@Tommygun said:

Yep. I have a fierce want for this thing but I'll be waiting for other, braver souls to go first.

Akai is owned by music conglomerate InMusic (http://inmusicbrands.com/brands). They have been putting out recycled meh for several years now. There are the occasional successes (akai controllers are pretty solid) but they have earned some skepticism at this point.

Plus, InMusic is owned by ol bastard Jack.

Ah thanks. That's enough for me to stay away from their products. I support Roger.

• @alecsbuga said:

@5pinlink said:

@alecsbuga said:
    I had the MPC Touch and it was awesome. I just couldn't get along with the software on the mac.
    The standalone is my wish come true. Added bonus: it works with the included MPC 2.0 as a controller

If you don't like the software on the Mac, you may not like the software on the hardware, the v2 software running on these is very similar to 1.9

NO it's not. I said I didn't liked the Mac OS X software. The touch interface was awesome.

MPC 2.0 (which runs on the MPC hardware too) is much better. It has audio tracks with time warp, it has reworked mixer, and also it looks way way better. More like Machine or Logic.

I've been waiting for YEARS for a beast like this. Standalone, powerful, battery powered. I had the Electribes 2 which they were almost there, but the sampling part was awful.

I have also been waiting for something like this for ages. I had a circuit but sold it because there was no enough functions for me. I said I would sell my Push 2 if something like this came out but I have become so attached to it in the last year.

I wonder if Native Instruments will make something like this. It would be competition with Maschine but hopefully more stand alone units come out this year to encourage development.

• @Noirflux said:
    I wonder if Native Instruments will make something like this. It would be competition with Maschine but hopefully more stand alone units come out this year to encourage development.

Wouldn't need to be competition with Maschine if they made it the same way Akai did the Live. It's a portable Maschine that works as a controller when hooked up to the computer.

• edited January 2017

@Noirflux said:

@alecsbuga said:

@5pinlink said:

@alecsbuga said:

I have also been waiting for something like this for ages. I had a circuit but sold it because there was no enough functions for me. I said I would sell my Push 2 if something like this came out but I have become so attached to it in the last year.

I have also been waiting for a new standalone for ages, the fact that the live has battery power is icing on the cake..

My favourite thing about a standalone is I don't have to think about updates and file management, viruses etc..

I love just having a box that I can sit down infront of and will just have my projects, IF the os is stable that is!

I love the mpc idea but was always frustrated using the mpc2500 because of the menu diving and tiny lcd (I started out on computer production before hardware). One of my most hated things was naming all my samples via the jog wheel. The touchscreen makes text entry so much easier as I sample everything that goes into my mpc's.

The fact I can chuck a ssd in this thing (got a spare 120gb samsung sitting here), that it has Ableton link coming, that it will support my keystep using USB midi host.. it's really looking like my ideal box.

And realtime pitch shift/stretch is looking pretty amazing too.

I just hope the outputs are punchy, the screen is responsive, and I'm pretty much set.

I was thinking of getting an octatrack, but I can instead get the mpc live and a strymon big sky for the same $$

• @supadom said:
    I understand the standalone angle except that this has a massive screen which kinda puts it in the computer category.

I'd rather get 2 Ipads with their dedicated controllers, link them and have same or more with less money. Yes, there is the stability of the dedicated software but still that's shed loads of cash for a screen, few buttons and ehm... Software ;

depends on the software, there isn't any on iOS that can do what this software can do in an integrated manner.

• @mireko_2 said:

@Noirflux said:

@alecsbuga said:

@5pinlink said:

@alecsbuga said:

I have also been waiting for a new standalone for ages, the fact that the live has battery power is icing on the cake..

My favourite thing about a standalone is I don't have to think about updates and file management, viruses etc..

I love just having a box that I can sit down infront of and will just have my projects, IF the os is stable that is!

I love the mpc idea but was always frustrated using the mpc2500 because of the menu diving and tiny lcd (I started out on computer production before hardware). One of my most hated things was naming all my samples via the jog wheel. The touchscreen makes text entry so much easier as I sample everything that goes into my mpc's.

The fact I can chuck a ssd in this thing (got a spare 120gb samsung sitting here), that it has Ableton link coming, that it will support my keystep using USB midi host.. it's really looking like my ideal box.

I just hope the outputs are punchy, the screen is responsive, and I'm pretty much set.

I was thinking of getting an octatrack, but I can instead get the mpc live and a strymon big sky for the same $$

and it's a live looper

• @5pinlink said:

@kobamoto said:

@supadom said:

depends on the software, there isn't any on iOS that can do what this software can do in an integrated manner.

That would be the whole point of IAA and audiobus and so on, the iPad from a software point of view is way more advanced.

But then you have the whole conundrum of iOS updates, the iOS file management system, the hopping in and out of apps and being forced to use an app like AudioShare (great app btw) to transfer stuff back and forward constantly. Might be ok if you don't work with samples primarily but I pretty much only work with samples so it's a real workflow/mood killer.
    With the mpc live I will still be using my iPad and audiobus as a sample source, and sequencing all my synths from my iPad, but I won't have to jump through so many hoops, and my iPad will once again just be a great synth and drum machine module (what iOS does best imo)

• @5pinlink said:
    It should support USB keyboards for naming and so on.

That would be fantastic but if not it still has the onscreen touch keyboard

• @mireko_2 said:

@5pinlink said:

@kobamoto said:

@supadom said:

That would be the whole point of IAA and audiobus and so on, the iPad from a software point of view is way more advanced.

But then you have the whole conundrum of iOS updates, the iOS file management system, the hopping in and out of apps and being forced to use an app like AudioShare (great app btw) to transfer stuff back and forward constantly. Might be ok if you don't work with samples primarily but I pretty much only work with samples so it's a real workflow/mood killer.
    With the mpc live I will still be using my iPad and audiobus as a sample source, and sequencing all my synths from my iPad, but I won't have to jump through so many hoops, and my iPad will once again just be a great synth and drum machine module (what iOS does best imo)

Agree. And you can add audio recordings, clip launcher, real time warping, drag&drop audio and midi, automation, mixer bus...

• edited January 2017

@5pinlink said:

@kobamoto said:

@supadom said:

the iPad has no audio warping clip launcher integrated into any app in this way, not even remotely.
    launchpad, remixlive, hook,blocs wav, the impc, beat hawk, bm2, etc... not the same thing.

• @syrupcore said:

@Noirflux said:

Wouldn't need to be competition with Maschine if they made it the same way Akai did the Live. It's a portable Maschine that works as a controller when hooked up to the computer.

That's true. I will get live but I will wait for reviews online after it comes out.

• When is the Sonic State review coming?

• @mireko_2 said:

@Noirflux said:

@alecsbuga said:

@5pinlink said:

@alecsbuga said:

Yeah I love the idea of having just one box with no distractions. It is also why I wanted to get an op1 but this is more up my alley. I have already started rereading articles about live. This is the first sign that I will eventually buy something lol

• Doesn't Auria Pro have Audio warping?

• One of the best threads in awhile IMO

• Beathawk already has pretty good bread and butter sampling.. I have a feeling the new one .....

• yes and those other apps i mentioned have time stretching, but it's not implemented in the same way, with recordable clip launching and realtime audio looping

• Just thinking its sort of a shame it runs on windows instead of iOS (though windows surely makes the file interoperability part a lot easier, doable even). Could just buy the controller/interface/dock version, save some cash and use the iPad as the screen. I might even be able to afford the XL version of this never-going-to-exist controller!