Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Akai's new standalone MPC looks awesome

Comments

• interesting.

• From the guy who got one:

Walked into GC today. I was never on preorder. He told me that had 6 available for sale/ others assigned to preorder. Also mentioned they have been in the back of the store for several days, but couldn't update system or mention them officially until today.

I feel a trip coming over me.

• also from another poster...

Ok called them again tonight and the guy who answered the call was a big newbie. I asked a ton of questions and he looked everything up for me. They HAD 19 units available for sale around 7pm eastern time and 51 for preorders.

• yes they are out I the wild

• edited May 2017

Indeed i picked up one yesterday in west LA at GC. Ive also preordered the X.

Loved the live so much its with me today t the office...

• @JP-08 said:

First impressions? How is the software? Any lag? It says it works well with iMPC on the iPad; have you tried it? Why is the sky blue? lol

• @Noirflux said:

@JP-08 said:

First impressions? How is the software? Any lag? It says it works well with iMPC on the iPad; have you tried it? Why is the sky blue? lol

Yes all of the above question. I wonder how successfully a Go Fund Me page to get one would be?

• I wonder what "works well w/ iMPC on iPad" could mean? Exporting? Can I create something on iMPC, connect to the Live via USB and CCK, and import the project to the Live, or vice versa?

• Icepulse I'm interested in your take on the portability of it, especially coming from carrying around the op-1/ipad... the mpc live is allot less discreet than I previously thought and weighty?

• the unit is well built. solid. no lag but I have not loaded up the machine with gb's of samples.

with 2gb of ram on board, you cant have a lot of stuff under the hood running say over 100 tracks with tons of overdubs... its in essence a laptop computer with 2gb of ram.

I have impc on the ipad pro amd im sure you can load a project from it to the live, especially since you can do audio recording on the unit (and mpc 2).

i dont ever plan to use the live (or the X as I have it on pre order) as a controller so i can't speak on 2.0 running on the computer.

• @JP-08 said:
    the unit is well built. solid. no lag but I have not loaded up the machine with gb's of samples.

with 2gb of ram on board, you cant have a lot of stuff under the hood running say over 100 tracks with tons of overdubs... its in essence a laptop computer with 2gb of ram.

I have impc on the ipad pro amd im sure you can load a project from it to the live, especially since you can do audio recording on the unit (and mpc 2).

i dont ever plan to use the live (or the X as I have it on pre order) as a controller so i can't speak on 2.0 running on the computer.

What about the sky? :( lol

Thanks for the info. I also have an iPad Pro and I was debating if I needed it but I can't stop looking at tutorial videos. I had planned to only use it in standalone as well. I was going to wait and see what BM3 is like before making a decision. Trying to keep my gear limited but the live is very appealing. I saw on the website they plan to support ableton link in a future upadate which is obviously pretty amazing.

• over priced trash 8 tracks in standalone lol ill take my ipad pro any day lol wow

• @Shazamm said:
    over priced trash 8 tracks in standalone lol ill take my ipad pro any day lol wow

Lmao tell us how you really feel

• edited May 2017

there has been incredible music made on mpcs that don't even have any audio tracks for decades. The audio tracks are not even the main feature of the instrument. Overpriced... not even close, it's 1199 and will allow you to do things together in a way that you can't even do on a laptop. It brings together the main features of the mpc, ableton live, a live looping pedal, traktor, an iPad, and some audio tracks on top of that... all working together in a seamless integrated fashion... there hasn't ever even been an instrument like this in hardware or software and to emulate this workflow you would need a laptop and several controllers and run more than one piece of software + a loop pedal which many people do currently... but to make it all work together like it does on this instrument, that's not happening. That's not even getting into the physical features of the unit i.e. that you can connect external hard drives, thumb drives, internal ssd, and other class compliant midi controllers to the unit and use them simultaneously while not being connected to a computer. That's what makes this a gem (if they have made it stable)..... it's not the same thing as having a MacBook , ableton live and a bunch of programs and some midi controllers connected and trying to get them all to work.

the closest thing to this is probably the roland dj-808..... but obviously it's far from it. allot of people don't really wrap their head around it yet cause there isn't any point of reference. I'm not planning on using the one I ordered with my computer either and even without using it like that 1199 is cheap.

• @5pinlink said:
    Why did they make the software iLok ?

I heard people were passing around the beta software but who knows... I guess the same reason any of the apps that use ilok do

• interesting from MPC forums - Confirmed that this does work with the silver MPC Studio using the MPC Touch installation - connect your Studio and launch the app, works fine but no doubt there will be some issues and glitches somewhere.
    I sold my touch a while back but going to have a wee blast with my studio

• edited May 2017

@kobamoto said:
    there has been incredible music made on mpcs that don't even have any audio tracks for decades. The audio tracks are not even the main feature of the instrument. Overpriced... not even close, it's 1199 and will allow you to do things together in a way that you can't even do on a laptop. It brings together the main features of the mpc, ableton live, a live looping pedal, traktor, and some audio tracks on top of that... all working together in a seamless integrated fashion... there hasn't ever even been an instrument like this in hardware or software and to emulate this workflow you would need a laptop and several controllers and run more than one piece of software + a loop pedal which many people do currently... but to make it all work together like it does on this instrument, that's not happening. That's not even getting into the physical features of the unit i.e. that you can connect external hard drives, thumb drives, internal ssd, and other class compliant midi controllers to the unit and use them simultaneously while not being connected to a computer. That's what makes this a gem (if they have made it stable)..... it's not the same thing as having a MacBook , ableton live and a bunch of programs and some midi controllers connected and trying to get them all to work.

the closest thing to this is probably the roland dj-808..... but obviously it's far from it. allot of people don't really wrap their head around it yet cause there isn't any point of reference. I'm not planning on using the one I ordered with my computer either and even without using it like that 1199 is cheap.

Some points are fair some others no. As example... You mentioned Traktor, so I suposse remix decks since you can't dvs control of the unit, right?

iPad have more versatility since it's modular approach. Anyone can plug a cheap behringer uca222 or expensive Apogee interface. Lots of options in between and even you can set different "stations" and just carry the iPad from one to another. Edit anything on the metro as if you were viewing a netflix serie or websurffing, nobody notices you doing music so no bulky box in your knees (I know the live is battery powered)

@kobamoto said:
    Icepulse I'm interested in your take on the portability of it, especially coming from carrying around the op-1/ipad... the mpc live is allot less discreet than I previously thought and weighty?

About workflow and apps... well you love self-contained and limited (in the good way) workflow from mpc dinasty. Let's see if it keeps it since this is a new approach with embedded system instead the mpcOS from the old (as we discussed last time) so I hope it's sheamless integration you point and it hasn't any of the possible drawbacks.

ATM I can do more or less things I will do with this machine with the right combo of apps. Let's put some examples to bridge the gaps.

Chop/slice:
    Simple? Blocs wave
    Complex? ReSlice, Beathawk.

Synths:
    I have some nice one like Arturia or Korg module...
    You will need to plug the mpclive to desktop to use plugs, right?

Remix deck/Ableton session:
    Blocs wave export into Launchpad. LaunchControl hardware adviced IMO.
    LooptunesHD if you want regular midi. It also loads entire songs like dj deck with the IAP (or looptunesDj version)
    Garageband (now free). It also could host AU like ReSlice, Beathawk... and host the others as IAA.

Audio tracks:
    Garageband again if you want to work loop based or midi secuencing. Limited in midi control my bad...
    Auria if you need more.

Fx:
    There are lots from simple reverbs to madness like turnado. Also Mastering tools...
    With AUM buss routing it makes the iPad really flexible in this domain.

Live looping:
    Blocs wave can do it but not the best option (but free in this case)
    LoopyHD, quantiloop... GTL.
    Lots of options and some of them are supporting IAA/AUv3 in their audio chain. (Check this link GTL forum to see snapshots of the new features around the corner).
    http://forum.grouptheloop.com/index.php?p=/discussion/116/finally-some-new-features-of-gtl-snapshots#latest

Integration:
    AB3, AUM, AUv3, midiflow (and midiflow for AB3)...

BUT (and that's one of the points) I don't need to load ALL everytime. I load what I need, when I need it and plug the right controller/audio interface for each situation. If I need record an entire band with more than 8 channels on the go I can, if need to edit something with just headphones I can, if need to do live looping show or dj session I can.

Another question is about external storage. I agree with you that is a pita in the iOS realm but only if you need to manage lots of samples (and even AudioShare does a great job on it) my mini4 (64gb) has over 25gb of free space. I haven't uploaded my old sample and music library... I put it at Synology NAS/dropbox and download what I need when I need it... but also buy lots of Novation packs and use djay with spotify integration. I know it's not the same but different needs, different approaches. Maybe I will buy a dedicated usb-lightning pendrive sometime in the future since the NAS is slow sometimes.

So I'm not saying mpc is crap or iPad pro is the definitive solution... I just think "one thousand euros... since my iPad cost 415€ last year and I have an old iPhone 4 dedicated to some synth... even without the iPhone 5s I managed from phone company... with few investment I have lots of possibilities. ITOH I don't want to risk one thousand euros in low revenue gigs I have ATM... so I will try to keep even my iPad at home the most of the time and try to do them with the iPhone or even a pendrive player"

The sad part of the history. IPad as multipurpose device could help me in the other music business task meanwhile mpc can't. If you need it, you can afford it and you will be happy with it... go for it. If you try to argue "bang for buck" I have to disagree, mate.

I hope sincerely it fits your needs @kobamoto.

• edited May 2017

@Dubbylabby
    Bang for buck also includes productivity. Having a self contained cohesive instrument that doesn't change all the time and that you can truly master takes away interference that coordinating all these apps has on creativity and workflow.
    There is a reason people still use these "limited" hardware boxes, they really do facilitate a different headspace when making music.
    I still find it incredible that dj shadow created endtroducing with only a mpc60, turntable, and reel to reel tape recorder. That album is a true masterpiece and who knows if he ever would of made it the way he did if he didn't have that mpc, limitations and all.

Some people just like to remove the mucking around when making music, other it's what they enjoy, geeking out over the details and the craziest way to effect a sound or whatever.

They are all valid.

But there is a reason the mpc is so iconic, it really is something special just sitting in front of one and really knowing it inside out, you think less about what you are doing and start to think more about the music you are making

• Excellent points made by everyone. I still need to do more research and check out more videos but I'm definitely getting one; it's just a matter of time lol

• edited May 2017

I think you made my point better than I did Dubbylabby :)
    of course we could accomplish what the mpc live can do in many other ways, we could do it by inserting a 5 piece band in place of the mpc live, an iPad, a macbook running a gang of software etc... but none of that is comparable because like you listed above in your comparison scenario the experience is completely different. I use an iPad as well, but I'd be done with the song on the mpc before I finished setting everything up in your scenario.. that's just me
    I use the iPad, I use push, I use the mpc etc... my point isn't which is better my point was that none of these qualities have come together in one instrument with this workflow until now, and my point about the price was simple, if you want to do everything that this instrument is capable of to the same level of degree that this instrument does it you'd need to spend more money because you'd need more than 1199 for the laptop and combination of apps, controllers and devices to make it happen, and then on top of that you'd be doing allot of hooking, patching, syncing, routing, rerouting, and troubleshooting the laptop with all of your devices and controllers to make it all work together to the level of seamlessness that this instrument accomplishes the same task... aaaaand this isn't really about the 'mpc ethos' that makes this special, it's' about the mpc ethos mixed with the ableton ethos, mixed with a looper ethos, mixed with the iPads ethos etc.... it doesn't have everything that all of these things have, like it doesn't have everything ableton has or everything traktor has... or everything an iPad has it just has a tiny bit of each paradigm mixed all in together and streamlined to make the experience seamless. If you priced these capabilities individually you'd start with a 1200 laptop and then go up from there.

I know you've seen this before but it's good for this discussion, it's about the combination of everything

• @mireko_2 said:
    @Dubbylabby
    Bang for buck also includes productivity. Having a self contained cohesive instrument that doesn't change all the time and that you can truly master takes away interference that coordinating all these apps has on creativity and workflow.
    There is a reason people still use these "limited" hardware boxes, they really do facilitate a different headspace when making music.
    I still find it incredible that dj shadow created endtroducing with only a mpc60, turntable, and reel to reel tape recorder. That album is a true masterpiece and who knows if he ever would of made it the way he did if he didn't have that mpc, limitations and all.

Some people just like to remove the mucking around when making music, other it's what they enjoy, geeking out over the details and the craziest way to effect a sound or whatever.

They are all valid.

But there is a reason the mpc is so iconic, it really is something special just sitting in front of one and really knowing it inside out, you think less about what you are doing and start to think more about the music you are making

I agreed in my comment about most of it but not so sure about price/specs against iPad. That's what I call bang for buck.

Productivity is also very personal towards oneself goals and even without go crazy in fx, it's possible do the same with an iPad setup. Maybe not in the same "workflow" but sure all of the features and even more. So if I need to dj my song with dvs for a gig with the iPad I can, with the mpc can't. From the point of dj productivity it seems better, right?

No, just a matter of needs as I point. Read once again my previous comment. IPad isn't perfect and obviously mpc is not crap but maybe a bit overpriced related with revenue against iPad. Against laptop with Live and so it seems better balanced in price but again a matter of needs/workflow. I can understand someone going mpc route in any way of course but it doesn't mean "it's the best solution for everything".

Aside note
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/18703/is-the-last-album-of-gorillaz-humanz-made-with-an-ipad-only#latest

• another analogy is my fav thing in the world Samplr.... to do what Samplr does without using samplr you'd need to use allot of other different apps because of not only the features that Samplr has but the unique way in which the Samplr combines them in one space via the mode.... what I'm saying about the mpc live is something akin to this.

• anyways it's 5:32 am what the hell am i doing awake

• @kobamoto said:
    I think you made my point better than I did Dubbylabby :)
    of course we could accomplish what the mpc live can do in many other ways, we could do it by inserting a 5 piece band in place of the mpc live, an iPad, a macbook running a gang of software etc... but none of that is comparable because like you listed above in your comparison scenario the experience is completely different. I use an iPad as well, but I'd be done with the song on the mpc before I finished setting everything up in your scenario.. that's just me
    I use the iPad, I use push, I use the mpc etc... my point isn't which is better my point was that none of these qualities have come together in one instrument with this workflow until now, and my point about the price was simple, if you want to do everything that this instrument is capable of to the same level of degree that this instrument does it you'd need to spend more money because you'd need more than 1199 for the laptop and combination of apps, controllers and devices to make it happen, and then on top of that you'd be doing allot of hooking, patching, syncing, routing, rerouting, and troubleshooting the laptop with all of your devices and controllers to make it all work together to the level of seamlessness that this instrument accomplishes the same task... aaaaand this isn't really about the 'mpc ethos' that makes this special, it's' about the mpc ethos mixed with the ableton ethos, mixed with a looper ethos, mixed with the iPads ethos etc.... it doesn't have everything that all of these things have, like it doesn't have everything ableton has or everything traktor has... or everything an iPad has it just has a tiny bit of each paradigm mixed all in together and streamlined to make the experience seamless. If you priced these capabilities individually you'd start with a 1200 laptop and then go up from there.

I know you've seen this before but it's good for this discussion, it's about the combination of everything

Sure what I'm trying to point (and avoid the flame wars sitting on one edge) is that AUM/AB3 make "these mesh" just load a preset for any scenario. Also with Blocs I can start and finish a beat without hassle. Using IAP packs simplest than importing or recording but those aren't pita neither with the right preparation. Is like organizating your workflow for the mpc but for the iPad. Setting lauchpad for live gigging is just plug the cck cable and launch the app... any producer harmed in the process ;)
    It haven't all the possibilities, it doesn't need them. Just live playing (and you can record audio session of the jam like old tape working when if you miss a shot, you should replay until get it working. Fun and alive. With AUM you can do multitrack with the other AU/IAA and even send it to looper if you want...)
    Garageband more or less and again you have plugs. No need for laptop/desktop... so under 1000€.

You compared the mpc vs laptop 1200€ and over. Well I can do all of these I point just right now in the iPad. I sold my mac mini and don't look back. It had compromises, sure... like mpc has (these good limitations I said). Not for everyone of course.

Not trying to say "crap" but the extra cost is only "valid" for those who see it's benefeit related to the workflow (and a bit hype that I really hope it can deserve).

Nukai is famous for eternal bugs so let's hope this time they take care of their creature or in the next months will be see lots of rants and deception over the net.

• Well, I have an iPad (which is great for many things) and scores of music apps; synths, samplers / manglers, multitrack recorders, FX, sequencers, groove boxes, etc.

Know what I use it most, for? Feeding disparate loops and sounds into my OP-1.

I generate about 25x the music on that OP as I do w/ the iPad. Why? Every feature on the little standalone shares an homogenized workflow, and is designed to work well together.

It's really as simple as that. If you enjoy routing, plugging in , exporting, Audiocopy / pasting, etc., to create your music, more power to you. I like to turn it on, feed it some samples, and play.

• edited May 2017

@Icepulse said:
    Well, I have an iPad (which is great for many things) and scores of music apps; synths, samplers / manglers, multitrack recorders, FX, sequencers, groove boxes, etc.

Know what I use it most, for? Feeding disparate loops and sounds into my OP-1.

I generate about 25x the music on that OP as I do w/ the iPad. Why? Every feature on the little standalone shares an homogenized workflow, and is designed to work well together.

It's really as simple as that. If you enjoy routing, plugging in , exporting, Audiocopy / pasting, etc., to create your music, more power to you. I like to turn it on, feed it some samples, and play.

That's the same I think when I remember Ableton and mac mini against Blocswave/Launchpad combo so it's not iPad can't be fast and focus... it depends on workflow (once again). I don't need to choose and neither expend 1000€ on mpc or op1, I can go simple and fast or complex and so. Blocswave cost me less than 3€ and now is free (as launchpad). Can't sample import without the IAP but it could record, produce and share into Launchpad. Straightforward.

• edited May 2017

For me having had many mpcs since the 2000 - The modern ones dont really add too much apart from adding the extra dimension of being able to manage and interact with your computer, but it hasnt really worked out and we've got the new breed od new standalones. I hope the new version can be good enough to give the right amount "freedom" that we enjoy with our Ipads etc. The big issue here is the software and up until 1.9.6 they havent really deleviered anything revolutionary or better than the standalone machine, I dont find it vey inspiring at all. By that measure i've taken my chips off the table and will wait until I hear real life reviews before putting them back on (and be happily making beats on my ipad pro).

• @Jose_Bee said:
    For me having had many mpcs since the 2000 - The modern ones dont really add too much apart from adding the extra dimension of being able to manage and interact with your computer, but it hasnt really worked out and we've got the new breed od new standalones. I hope the new version can be good enough to give the right amount "freedom" that we enjoy with our Ipads etc. The big issue here is the software and up until 1.9.6 they havent really deleviered anything revolutionary or better than the standalone machine, I dont find it vey inspiring at all. By that measure i've taken my chips off the table and will wait until I hear real life reviews before putting them back on (and be happily making beats on my ipad pro).

100% agree. All the reviews, demos I have seen online are promos or from reps that have had earlier models. I want to hear the real pains from real people using it. What works, what doesn't what can be improved. I have been waiting for a standalone unit like this for a while so I can wait a little longer before I invest. Its actually $1599 in Canada (our dollar is horrible right now). With tax its just over $1800 which is a significant investment. Sure you can't put a price on your passion but I still need to eat :'( lol

• well one thing real world users can tell you is how stable or not a product is, but the real question is what you want to do with it, it's always important to know exactly what you want a product to do for you to know if it's right cause it's not as simple as 5 different manufacturers come out with beat machines in 2018 and they all do the same thing. People think all the beat machines do the same thing but none of them do the same thing, even when they look like each other...even all of the mpc models don't do the same thing so you have to be clear on exactly what features you need.

example... maschine is a great instrument but if you want to record mutes and solos , automate tempo and time signature then no matter how cool everybody says it is it's not going to work for you because ti doesn't do those things...
    maybe you need real time time stretching and love the thought of ableton live and push but don't like the feel of those little pads and wish that you could have realtime time stretching in the larger 16 pad format, then push wouldn't be the way to go and if the new mpcs are stable then you'd head in that direction because they are the only ones doing that right now...

maybe you want that 16 pad config and don't even want to sample anything but would like a drum synth... then you'd go with maschine cause that is the one with the drum synth (for this example) there are others but you get my drift

maybe you want those probability features in a more tactile interface with parameter locks like the new elektron digitakt offers, if those features are your priority you'd need to go with elektron cause those features are in their camp right now so akai , native instruments wouldn't

it's most common to talk about brands and the latest thing that came out but in my opinion that is the least important, everyone is different and for me first the sequencer and sampling abilities come first, what the instrument is capable of alone by itself.. I can't stand it when a beat machine doesn't have strong capability on it's own.. then my secondary concern is what it can do for my other instruments for example I use allot of hardware synths and even though the hybrid beat machines from native instruments and akai are cool and all, they are not the best for controlling outboard gear, the much older hardware beat machines are better because they have a much more robust midi implementation than any of the stuff that's come out in the last 8 years... of course the hybrid beat machines are great for in the box eco systems and vsts...
    I'm never loyal to brands, only loyal to features. :)