Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Akai's new standalone MPC looks awesome

Comments

• $1199 is peanuts for what it can do, pound for pound its cheaper than any alternative
    Maschine cost 999 for a generic midi controller that can do absolutely nothing on its own

• edited March 2017

@kobamoto said:
    :) I've given way more money to apple and they've done way worse than jack

You're, of course, right but they've not done worse to Roger Linn directly. And he's a downright music+music technology hero. And, from everything I've ever seen or read, a thoroughly decent human being.

• @kobamoto said:

But I concur on all fronts

• edited March 2017

on another note if Roger had brought out his beatmachine the linn drum 2 instead of teasing we probably wouldn't be having this conversation... tsk tsk Roger.

and since retronyms fixed the animoog impc fiasco I haven't been chomping at the bits over the MpC live.... they've already got my money (first time I ever preordered anything) so when it gets here it gets here but the impc pro with all of those synths on iOS to sample is just too much fun, and the fact that impc pro programs will be able to be loaded into the mpc live makes for a lovely combo....... hopefully.

• @kobamoto said:
    $1199 is peanuts for what it can do, pound for pound its cheaper than any alternative
    Maschine cost 999 for a generic midi controller that can do absolutely nothing on its own

Maschine Studio is now $799 new ($650 or less used). With Komplete it is a pretty potent combo.

• @Dham said:

@kobamoto said:
    $1199 is peanuts for what it can do, pound for pound its cheaper than any alternative

Maschine Studio is now $799 new ($650 or less used). With Komplete it is a pretty potent combo.

yeah maschine is great, but not in comparison to the mpc live..... no realtime time stretch, tethered to the computer, no looper, no recording of mutes and solos, no tempo automation and more... the list is too long.

• I wish they would use prog rock for these demos, the same old music is giving me a headache lol

I can't wait till somebody hacks this thing to run vst in stand alone mode

• @kobamoto said:

With apple it is the thought of no jack that sucks

• @AudioGus said:

@kobamoto said:

Zinger!!

• @mireko_2 said:

@AudioGus said:

@kobamoto said:

Zinger!!

Oh you know it girlfriend!

• @5pinlink said:

@kobamoto said:

@Dham said:

@kobamoto said:

yeah maschine is great, but not in comparison to the mpc live..... no realtime time stretch, tethered to the computer, no looper, no recording of mutes and solos, no tempo automation and more... the list is too long.

But Maschine desktop workflow is way quicker than MPC for programming patterns, not so much for song structure.
    Realtime stretch already exists in the Maschine Alphas, but unfortunately they are taking the sequencer in a terrible firection in the alphas.
    So while Maschine is still a much faster creating set up, the MPC is still the better option, NI need to step up their game this year.

As for hacking to run VST, Wont ever happen, wrong CPU architecture, somebody would have to create an ARM x86 emulator, then run the Windows and then the desktop MPC software not the ARM port, then VSTs on top, that CPU wouldn't even run Windows well without breaking down.

Speaking of Maschine. I received an email from them today that the Studio is $200 off for a limited time. This normally means something is coming or perhaps they just have old stock to get rid of.

I still have my eye on the MPC live. The release date is just so far away that I've temporarily lost interest.

• @5pinlink said:

@kobamoto said:

@Dham said:

@kobamoto said:

But Maschine desktop workflow is way quicker than MPC for programming patterns, not so much for song structure.
    Realtime stretch already exists in the Maschine Alphas, but unfortunately they are taking the sequencer in a terrible firection in the alphas.
    So while Maschine is still a much faster creating set up, the MPC is still the better option, NI need to step up their game this year.

As for hacking to run VST, Wont ever happen, wrong CPU architecture, somebody would have to create an ARM x86 emulator, then run the Windows and then the desktop MPC software not the ARM port, then VSTs on top, that CPU wouldn't even run Windows well without breaking down.

shame about the architecture, it would have been interesting to see what the diy community came up with...
    I have muscle memory on both the maschine and the mpc and I think creating patterns on the mpc is faster. I know these things are subjective but if the maschine was faster you'd have to include the things you can't do to patterns in the comparison...cause with maschine you have to export to a daw to do those things, not just the arrangement but for instance you won't be recording any time signature changes or mutes into your maschine patterns so that pattern will get made faster.... if you choose not to do so on the mpc your patters will go faster too.

the main thing people should understand about the new mpcs is that unlike all the other alternatives which include, the other MPcs, the maschine, ableton push, traktor, and a live looping pedal is that the new mpcs have the major features of all of those things in one lightweight hardware stand alone package that you can take with you anywhere, and it even has some the iOS iPad ethos thrown on top like a cherry with the touchscreen interface...
    I love Push, but it can't do all of that stuff, soon as you unplug it from the computer it's dead in the water, same with maschine, and older MPCs..... the new mpc features come together like Voltron lol........ so even when the other boxes get the specific features that the new mpcs have they still won't put them all together in a stand alone unit.... that was akais genius because they listened to what people asked for and went out and put 5 different machines into one... this will be the first time that ableton live features have been combined with the mpc sequencer capabilities etc..... after maschine gets realtime stretch, it still won't be able to do the same thing, it will be more a comparison for the mpc touch and the Renaissance models, and I know ableton is never going to put all of those things in a stand alone box. Native instruments could come out with a stand alone unit with all of that stuff in it if they wanted to but I doubt that people would trust them because the os would be a super mess.

• @kobamoto said:

the main thing people should understand about the new mpcs is that unlike all the other alternatives which include, the other MPcs, the maschine, ableton push, traktor, and a live looping pedal is that the new mpcs have the major features of all of those things in one lightweight hardware stand alone package that you can take with you anywhere, and it even has some the iOS iPad ethos thrown on top like a cherry with the touchscreen interface...
    I love Push, but it can't do all of that stuff, soon as you unplug it from the computer it's dead in the water, same with maschine, and older MPCs..... the new mpc features come together like Voltron lol........ so even when the other boxes get the specific features that the new mpcs have they still won't put them all together in a stand alone unit.... that was akais genius because they listened to what people asked for and went out and put 5 different machines into one... this will be the first time that ableton live features have been combined with the mpc sequencer capabilities etc..... after maschine gets realtime stretch, it still won't be able to do the same thing, it will be more a comparison for the mpc touch and the Renaissance models, and I know ableton is never going to put all of those things in a stand alone box. Native instruments could come out with a stand alone unit with all of that stuff in it if they wanted to but I doubt that people would trust them because the os would be a super mess.

One could argue that many people, including and especially longtime users do not trust Akai when it comes to software/firmware development and support. They have a track record littered with unfinished, buggy products including flagship products such as the MPC 5000. Maybe they have suddenly changed overnight but I am a bit skeptical at this point. We shall see...........

• I agree that Akai is a genius with the new MPCs. It seems to be the perfect blend between clip launching, sequencing, and portability. I keep going back and forth between wanting one or wanting push 2 with ableton suite. Portability isn't a huge deal for me, as I usually have my laptop with me anyway. Quick setup and ease of use is what I am going for. All my iPad setups are fairly complicated in nature with audio interfaces, midi controllers, etc.

Hopefully BM3 will come out before the MPC live start shipping. That way I can test drive BM3 for a little while to see how it is. or I might be forced to get an MPC live. I think it is really about workflow and I am still searching for mine. Only time will tell.

• @Dham said:

One could argue that many people, including and especially longtime users do not trust Akai when it comes to software/firmware development and support. They have a track record littered with unfinished, buggy products including flagship products such as the MPC 5000. Maybe they have suddenly changed overnight but I am a bit skeptical at this point. We shall see...........

I'm one of those people, but unlike allot of them I'm beatmachine agnostic, just like with retronyms... I'm not looking for a date, allot of those people don't give credit where credit is due for instance.... the majority of the 5000s problems were fixed and there are a ton of people making great music with them, actually there are a ton of people making great music with the mpc 60 all the way through the 2000 series, and 1000 and 2500.... you can see them on youtube and there are allot of them.... by the same token look at how native messed up the maschine os and even now are going in the wrong direction like 5Pinlink mentioned earlier... maschine has had bugs continuously and that's after they did the complete rewrite... now allot of their userbase does not even want to go forward and just wishes they could get o 1.8 back...... but still they don't have the same reputation as akai... people get all personal about it and root for their team. I have no such loyalties like that, my team is the art form itself, I don't know how they even do it I could never cut myself off from any of the beat machines I just love it too much, hence I use them all. I guess the only one I'm biased about is Samplr..... no matter what that's my jam (pun intended)

• edited March 2017

@gmslayton said:
    I agree that Akai is a genius with the new MPCs. It seems to be the perfect blend between clip launching, sequencing, and portability. I keep going back and forth between wanting one or wanting push 2 with ableton suite. Portability isn't a huge deal for me, as I usually have my laptop with me anyway. Quick setup and ease of use is what I am going for. All my iPad setups are fairly complicated in nature with audio interfaces, midi controllers, etc.

Hopefully BM3 will come out before the MPC live start shipping. That way I can test drive BM3 for a little while to see how it is. or I might be forced to get an MPC live. I think it is really about workflow and I am still searching for mine. Only time will tell.

it looks like bm3 is going to be very interesting, if they've ironed out the workflow it will be one of those no brainer apps I can't wait.... and still the impc pro is an incredible app. still can't believe you get that for $12bucks. I've been as hard on retro as the next guy but seriously..... it's the only beatmachine on earth that gives you your own independent mixer for each sequencer that I know of..... for sample based production that is amazing! if retronyms gives us 1bar sequence lengths then I will leave the mpc at home

• edited March 2017

if the mpc live doesn't work right I will send it back to sweet water the next day lol, but even if it needs more work once it's out the gate they will be in a good position because while everyone else is using their time to come up with a competing product, that will also have the need to squash their bugs.... the mpc live devs will be spending on that time just fixing bugs. It was really a masterful business move because going all out like this for the user base was very risky, while at the same time it put them so far ahead that even if it's garbage, they have enough time to fix it before the competition even gets a product out... Personally I think the only competition they could possibly have is roland and behringer.... Roland because they might already be working on something maybe not.... and behringer because Uli is thinking about creating a sampling beatmachine and that guy is the only person I can think of who is not afraid to put all of the stuff that the mpc live can do in a box, with maybe even more features and charge less :D
    but basically akai gave themselves enough time to fail, fix the bugs in these units, and then succeed before native instruments or ableton can do anything about it, although ableton is not really competing though I guess.

• @kobamoto said:

@Dham said:

I'm one of those people, but unlike allot of them I'm beatmachine agnostic, just like with retronyms... I'm not looking for a date, allot of those people don't give credit where credit is due for instance.... the majority of the 5000s problems were fixed and there are a ton of people making great music with them, actually there are a ton of people making great music with the mpc 60 all the way through the 2000 series, and 1000 and 2500.... you can see them on youtube and there are allot of them.... by the same token look at how native messed up the maschine os and even now are going in the wrong direction like 5Pinlink mentioned earlier... maschine has had bugs continuously and that's after they did the complete rewrite... now allot of their userbase does not even want to go forward and just wishes they could get o 1.8 back...... but still they don't have the same reputation as akai... people get all personal about it and root for their team. I have no such loyalties like that, my team is the art form itself, I don't know how they even do it I could never cut myself off from any of the beat machines I just love it too much, hence I use them all. I guess the only one I'm biased about is Samplr..... no matter what that's my jam (pun intended)

Yeah I'm the same way. I don't care who makes the maschine (pun intended) as long as it does what I want/need it to do. With the wealth apps. and contollers available on IOS I don't really need a portable unit anymore. When I'm home I don't really need a standalone unit because everything is connected to my Macs. What I really want is a unit that best integrates with my mobile apps. So far Akai and N.I. have project export, Ableton export is available in multiple apps. however Logic is so far the only one with 2-way capability via the recent GB update. Really looking forward to BM3 though. It looks like the complete, all-in-one, powerful-yet-user-friendly app. the we have all been waiting for with the ability to use our favorite apps. within a single workspace.

• edited March 2017

things I don't like about the mpc live are

1. the q-link knobs are on the wrong side for me. I wish it went knobs, screen, and then pads on the far right.

2. I'm not into the touch screen. I wish they put some faders and other controls in it's place, maybe even a mini launchpad set of pads inconjuction with the regular style mpc pads, I just wish they used that space for more hands on, not looking at the screen usability... I got an iPad for iPad stuff I don't want my mpc to feel like an iPad.

But the thing I love about it is that I'm going to put a second ssd hard drive inside it with my sample library on it, sit on the balcony with a pair of headphones, no power cable attached and lose myself in sampling madness with all of those features......... sample heaven is at hand.

• @kobamoto said:
    _But the thing I love about it is that I'm going to put a second ssd hard drive inside it with my sample library on it,

That's the real kicker to me.

• @kobamoto said:
    1. the q-link knobs are on the wrong side for me. I wish it went knobs, screen, and then pads on the far right.

My gut said the same. Then I thought: you (generally) spend more time editing a sequence than performing it. From that perspective, as a right handed person, the current layout actually made sense.

• I'm right handed, but used to editing with my left hand while triggering with my right :(

• @mireko_2 said:

@alecsbuga said:
    Well, since the new MPCs use the full desktop software inside, and since MPC Software already imports iMPC Pro projects, I can't see why you can't do that. It's nice.

But since I'm not using iMPC Pro anymore I have a different workflow in mind. export Loops from whatever app... and load them as clips in MPC. Use them as Ableton.

I talked to my local dealer and he said they're expecting them beginning to mid April.

My local said late April maybe even early May.. but I'm in Australia so we often get gear late because we are a relatively small market.

$350 to go on my preorder and she's all paid for :love:

Oh dear. You were standing at the school gates, 'free candy' you said, 'good times', and before I knew it....

• say what?.... you preordered and they charged you before the units get released?

• Nah I just drop 200-300 bucks on it every time I walk past the shop. Just so when they do arrive it's all paid for and I can go pick it up.

• ahh, I see. It's funny some people are getting rowdy over the release dates on ytube, but I feel so calm just knowing that it exist lol, it's waiting on iOS apps like patterning that drive me nuts

• edited April 2017

@syrupcore , for example.... the new mpc live has all of the slicing , looping, midi control, you can shake a stick at.... if they added the p.locks, probability , retrigger features we love about the digitakt and would love inside of patterning?

it would be a wrap (considering the mpc live is stable that is). but I'd still want those features in patterning and would still pay handsomely for it.

• @kobamoto said:
    it would be a wrap (considering the mpc live is stable that is). but I'd still want those features in patterning and would still pay handsomely for it.

I get you.