Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DrumJam Abandoned?

Just wondering if anyone's heard any recent update about this app. It has a lot of potential imho. I feel like with just a few small tweaks it could be really useful, but it hasn't received a meaningful update since it launched really. An update was talked about over on their forum for the "coming summer months" back in June, but nothing yet. Just curious if the other folks on here might have more useful info about it or if the dev might be lurking around here instead of the Drumjam forum.

Comments

• A month or two back during the perfect drum app talk, Sonosaurus popped up and said they plan on expanding DrumJam in the future including more kits and etc. I think since then he's been tied up with doing the updates for all Wizdom Music apps...maybe now he can focus on it.

@Sonosaurus - care to comment/update?

• A month or so back during the perfect drum app talks, Sonosaurus mentioned that he plans on further expanding the app to include more kits. Lately he's been tied up doing the updates for all the Wizdom Music apps (SampleWiz, GeoSynth, etc) so maybe now that they're done he can focus on DrumJam...

@Sonosaurus - care to comment/update?

• I was thinking the other day that DrumJam needs an update

• Sonosaurus has a lot of things on his plate, including bug fixes and updates for Thumbjam and updates for Drumjam. He has stated intentions to do these things. As @JMSexton mentioned, he's also been working on the Wizdom apps. He's been really busy. I cannot speak for Sonosaurus, but I have to say that of the many, many developers out there, Sonosaurus has been a very active participant and I worry very little about his software being abandoned. The release of Cassini synth with Audiobus, on the other hand, shocked me. :-)

• Certainly not abandoned, just delayed! It is the next project to receive attention, and it is overdue.

But just for completeness @boone51 what specific small tweaks are you thinking about? I definitely want to make sure they get on the list.

• I love DrumJam! I really like all the different percussion instruments and "ethnic" drums, but I would like to see some more standard drum (Rock, Jazz, Punk, etc..) bits.

• edited August 2013

@sonosurus , more standard kits would be welcome...I don't mind them as IAPs since I am sure they will be quality stuff
    I would love if the option of going thru the changes of patterns or kits can be made faster instead of waiting for the current beat cycle to end. It makes it itsy bitsy wait with a pending change for the current measure to end and then apply it.....if we can just apply the change "right now" that would be helpful...not sure if there is an option in the menu for this .
    Some other things that would be cool would be somthing like WeeJaam ....a sliding random pattern maker so can control the tempo or even include instrs from parts of other kits etc..
    More random and more probability, fills etc thrown in !!!!!!

• Yes! +1 for 'standard' rock, pop, blues, country and jazz loops and instruments for the looping section!
    That would make Drumjam much more useful for those uhm, 'rare' genres....;-)

• edited August 2013

Swing !!!

Including when live playing the pads :)

• Odd time sigs, and not just a selection.

• edited August 2013

Awesome @sonosaurus! Thanks for that update. That's great news. The specific feature that I would put at the top of MY list would be the ability to tune the pads individually. I would like to have quarter notes on the bass and something else on the cymbal etc. I don't care so much about the reverb for each being individual but I think that hit setting being independent would really help things out. Thanks again for the reply.

edit: oh yeah, and odd time sigs would be welcome, but I assume that's going to take quite a bit of work considering how the samples seem to be done today.

and another edit: I did submit this twice because I just assumed I goofed something up when it didn't show up the first time. I'll just update that thread with a link to this one, but would be equally happy if it was just deleted.

• Standard drum kits and midi loops would be my requests! :-)

• Would also be awesome if it consistently started/stayed in time with Beatmaker as well. I realize that's probably more of an iOS midi issue than a Drumjam or Intua issue, but still. A guy can dream.

• @sonosaurus I LOVE drumjam, but unlike many others here, I'm most interested in MORE ethnic percussion!

• @boone51, that pad tweaking, especially the repeat rate is already on the list! And you are correct about the alternate time signatures being a problem, since all the loops are performed audio and not sequenced. We will experiment with a "hack" by truncating the existing loops to obtain some other meters, but they probably will not be consistent with how people would actually perform in those meters. And yes, we'll be working to clean up some of the midi sync issues (some of which certainly are on DJ's end). I assume you have already changed the MIDI latency setting in BM up to help mitigate the sync start issue.

@eyeballjackson, don't worry there is definitely some more ethnic percussion on the way, as that is Pete Lockett's specialty, and they will be in-app purchases packs. Here is a taste of what is coming up with (Loops) Taiko, Dholak, Khartal, Phakawaj, and Ride and China cymbals, and Electro kick/hat/snares (Pad kits) Taiko, Dholak, Garrahand, Khartal, Mbira, Tabla Tarang, Tambourines, Balafon, Shakers and seeds, effected-acoustic kits.

@DaveMagoo, swing is tricky for the same reason alternate meters is, applying swing to time-stretched audio loops is likely a recipe for disaster.

@thepinkelefant, agreed that waiting around for 2 bars can be annoying... I will try to implement an option where it can happen on a beat boundary (or 2 beats, or 1 bar, etc).

More "standard-kit" loops (other than some mentioned above) are not currently on the immediate horizon, but I'll let Pete know there is a groundswell of interest in more of that.

• Taiko! Most excellent. Consider a couple purchase packs budgeted for...

• Could all those new instruments your adding as loops also be added to the menu on the bottom left of the screen,..(the live playing menu)so we can create our own loops/sequences.

Could all 'looped' instruments be add to this menu?(at the moment,only some of them are there)

This would enable swing/variation on 'hits'
    And time sigs(?)

• Woo hoo, thanks @sonosaurus! Awesome news.

• edited October 2013

to read this makes me smile, i hope the update come soon......
    Thumbs Press that you(@sonosaurus) can fix the CLOCK Sync Issue!
    Hope you integrate the option to record your Solo-Instrument into the loop section....
    DJ+TJ are in the TOP5 Creatives in the APPStore.

• Yes, and yes. Also a bunch of new kits and loops for IAP as mentioned above, and also some cool new effects.
    And IAA.

And just to make sure I fix the right clock sync issues please let me know which problems you are having and how you reproduced them, or links to where you already described them.

• The clock sync issue that made me have to stop using DJ was the delay in starting in BM2. When I have the clock sync'd there they never start exactly on time. DJ is always about a beat or a half beat behind. Every song. Every time. I think it drifts even further after a little while as well, but I don't have as much confidence in this as the first issue I mention (since I usually just stop recording after the initial miss). Would love to see this app work with IAA or AB better. If it were to sync up it'd be a beast.

• YES!
    sync Issue:
    if you sync on the same device, DJ(Master)+Loopy(Slave) than the sync is "flowing" away after x-Minutes, when exactly i cant say...if its flown away, its not possible to Start it again in sync....
    hope this WAS the issue ;-)
    Cant wait for the update, you did a amazing work, last Saturday i play with over 10 Blues & Jazz Musicians in a Club in the near of Frankfurt with "TJ > kaosspadmini > little BatteryAMP" it was amazing, you have to see the surprising faces of the people ;-)

• Sorry for the lateness with this post.

Marvelous app, so musically playable. It would be great to have the same set of instruments available in the loop area and solo area. For example, there's a frame drum in the solo area but not the loop area.

Highly recommended rhythm app!

• I can't find a way to change beats/bar in Drumjam. Is it lacking in the app... or I missed to notice? I could not find in the documentation too. @sonosaurus please help me to change my loop's beats/bar to 3/4 ? Please reply

• The upcoming version has a feature that let's you change the total beat count of the loops (2-8), which allows for effective time signature variation. It is still the same loop content, but it works surprisingly well to truncate the original grooves this way.

• edited December 2013

@sonosaurus This is the one lacking feature that was keeping me from buying Drumjam. I just can't bring myself to be restricted to 4/4. Thanks for finding a way. :)
    May I suggest further experimentation in the area of alternating or sequencing the beats per bar setting? If 6/4 and 5/4 work surprisingly well in the coming update, then perhaps 6/4|5/4 alternated will produce a surprisingly good 11/4? Just think of the flexibility of being able to subdivide longer time sigs in different ways...

• It puts the app on my radar. I've been using DrumStudio for a while. You can get some lovely human-feel rhythms going and in a good range of time sigs. It does lack a bit in sounds but whack it through some FX and it's all good.

• Fantastic app, waiting for the update! Keep up.

• edited March 2014

• yeah, where's this update so I can spend some money on expansion packs? ;)