Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Top 10 iOS Music Apps of 2016 - John Walden's Music App Blog

I love this list.

AUM - App of the Year

in no particular order:
Blocs Wave
Model 15
DM2
iWavestation
ODYSSEi
Drum Session
Phenom
Poison-202
iSpark

Honorable Mentions:
Klevgrand Produktion apps, Soft Drummer, RP-1 and RF-1, Phasemaker, DrumPerfect Pro

Comments

• Pretty good list. May need to take another look at Poison-202 (which I have been avoiding), as it seems to be getting a whole lotta love from those in the know. RP-1 and RF-1 as well.

• I was much less "dialed in" to the new stuff as it came out in 2016 versus 2015, so I'm not strongly qualified to weigh in. But given that I own about 6 of those apps, I believe, and am familiar with basically all of them, it seems like a good list to me. I guess I would rather see Phasemaker or Soft Drummer on the list versus DM2, but I've seen a good amount of love for DM2, so it works for me.

AUM as app of the year just makes sense, and I say that as someone who hasn't found a good use for it in production. As nothing more than a simple AU host, it's still pretty darn useful. And power users can make it do a heck of a lot more.

Korg just killed it all year - in both software and hardware. There was a Gadget update in July that added Gladstone and Madrid - those aren't even new "apps", but they're probably the most useful additions to me out of anything this year - they basically made Gadget into more of a rock backing track studio instead of just an EDM factory.

• @RulesOfBlazon said:
    Pretty good list. May need to take another look at Poison-202 (which I have been avoiding), as it seems to be getting a whole lotta love from those in the know. RP-1 and RF-1 as well.

Horses and courses. And toast of course. I found Poison-202 to be my most disappointing app purchase of the year. Just doesn't do it (for me).

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@RulesOfBlazon said:
    Pretty good list. May need to take another look at Poison-202 (which I have been avoiding), as it seems to be getting a whole lotta love from those in the know. RP-1 and RF-1 as well.

Horses and courses. And toast of course. I found Poison-202 to be my most disappointing app purchase of the year. Just doesn't do it (for me).

I've held off getting it cause I had it pegged as good for cheesy 90s sounds but little else. But then I read John Walden's review and started wondering if I'd made my assessment too hastily. Any particulars you can share on why it's not your cup of tea?