Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sweet Refraktions Update!

Comments

• Awesome!
    Thanks for being such a top Dev!
    I was going to mention how great it would be to have MIDI from external controllers, but thought I was asking too much!

To be able play notes on a keyboard and let RF do its thing, and then interact again....

• WOW!!!
  • Ive just had a little play with just this and TJ (no AB no Aum) and they work very well together. Very enjoyable. I had to see how easy it would be to record everything into Cubasis (cubasis, almost, does nothing wrong for me at the moment with midi) and yes. Recording all 7 channels. It might be my previous bad experiences with midi on ios but its definitely getting easier. Sooo, like previously mentioned you can just let Reflections do its stuff, record 20 mins into Cubasis and then review the results. Music making made easy, and why not.
    My TJ line up, Tenor Sax, Rhodes, Bass Pluckedx2, Djembe, Darabukka, 808
    Thanks Jason for a very nice app. Off to review it now.
    Ipad air 2

• Guys don't forget to leave your App Store review, it really helps the devs and potential users.
    Just left my review. :)

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Guys don't forget to leave your App Store review, it really helps the devs and potential users.
    Just left my review. :)

Good nudge, silly App Store policy needing a fresh review per update ...

• I was going to mention how great it would be to have MIDI from external controllers, but thought I was asking too much!

I actually had MIDI receive active on an earlier version, but it didn't make sense because it was just to play the internal sounds and didn't add the notes into the generative system. But once RF started interacting with other apps (background mode, Audiobus) it makes more sense to have external MIDI controllers.

• Just left my review. :)

Thanks @ MusicMan4Christ it totally helps

• Any samples out there that have less of an "ambient-ish" feel?

• I have one in the works where it's playing Synthmaster Arp but where's available time. All fun tho!

• As promised:

Enjoy!

Refraktions Drives LayR & SynthMaster-MM4C at USA by MusicMan4Christ on #SoundCloud

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    As promised:

Enjoy!

Great work ~

• Thanks
    The Arp is being driven by RF to Synthmaster. I could have created more changes by moving Synthmasters pads but wanted to show only RF changing notes.

• @j2snell, what do you think of a global RANDOM button and individual synth random button for notes?

• @soundklinik I've thought about a shake to randomize function that would be global. I don't think it would be as noticeable on Refraktions, but much more noticeable on the rhythm app since the loops are shorter. It's something I'd use during live sets when I want the beat to change...

• @j2snell said:
    @soundklinik I've thought about a shake to randomize function that would be global. I don't think it would be as noticeable on Refraktions, but much more noticeable on the rhythm app since the loops are shorter. It's something I'd use during live sets when I want the beat to change...

Nice idea, I'm looking forward to the rhythm app!

• @j2snell said:
    @soundklinik Thanks for asking about octaves, that is on my list. One possibility is that the octave gets set globally, like the tempo. So all the instruments would shift to a higher or lower tempo. Or I could have the octave be set per instrument. Which would you feel would be more useful?

I'm ALL for octave shifts per instrument AND global. Super nice app!

When I get home I'm going to try and record MIDI into Infinitelooper.

• Question: is there a reason why I don't see the swirly lines across RF on my Air 1?

• Question: is there a reason why I don't see the swirly lines across RF on my Air 1?

@MusicMan4Christ Yep - in my testing, the audio and animations started to degrade badly on older devices (chugging, bad crackling sound in the audio output). For these devices, I turned off animations and lowered the amount of audio channels that can play simultaneously so that it could still perform it's basic sequencing tasks with no memory lags. Here's the device lists and what category they fall in:

http://app.jasonjsnell.com/refraktions/manual/#system_req

• edited April 2017

I wonder if it would take too much coding to make it an option in settings sort of like the one in Model15 synth where it has the Econo option i think its called. That would be cool especially if im only using say 2 or 3 channels max i might enjoy the graphical treat to see those swirly lines and if things get out of hand when i use more channels i could go to econo mode sort of speak by switching it on.

Thanks Jason... i really like the larger screen of my ipad than my IPhone SE but missed the graphical treat a lot.

• Thanks Jason... i really like the larger screen of my ipad than my IPhone SE but missed the graphical treat a lot.

Unfortunately an econo mode wouldn't help RF on older devices. Even with the audio channels lowered, the sine wave animations consistently caused the audio to crackle, making it non-functional as a music app :(

• Ok thanks Jason for now I'll get my graphics treat on the SE ;)

Anyways my Air 1 starting to feel sluggish compared to the SE.

• Any news on further updates @j2snell?
    I was really wanting to use this on upcoming live performances, but without being able to save the state of it (# including the chosen notes + midi channels) - means it's not really happening for live performances.
    If I could state save this lovely app - I could quickly load up all sorts of great setups with different midi channel outputs saved for controlling various apps / hardware synths / Kontakt + Reaktor etc etc.

• @Mayo said:
    Any news on further updates @j2snell?
    I was really wanting to use this on upcoming live performances, but without being able to save the state of it (# including the chosen notes + midi channels) - means it's not really happening for live performances.
    If I could state save this lovely app - I could quickly load up all sorts of great setups with different midi channel outputs saved for controlling various apps / hardware synths / Kontakt + Reaktor etc etc.

Hey Mayo,
    Been working on the rhythm-based version, and that will be coming soon as a beta.

A few questions:
    1) When you select a specific MIDI channels in Settings > Instrument Routing, it's programmed to remember your selections even when quitting the app. Is it not remembering your MIDI channels? I want to make sure I understand the challenge that's coming up for you.

2) By state saving, do you mean a snapshot of the current composition? Or do you mean AudioBus state saving?

Thanks!
    Jason

• Hi Jason, the main idea is to be able to save the snapshot of the current composition
    (as it will include midi channels i presume)
    So live (or in the studio / composing) I can load various different compositions and their midi routing.
    As it is at the moment, I am always having to start a new idea.

its the compositions that I stumble across that i would LOVE to save and return to / further develop!

• edited May 2017

how did that font get SO large?
    (I promise I was not yelling!)

• @Mayo said:
    how did that font get SO large?

Haha no prob. That is big text :)

Yes, I have been thinking about how to save the current composition, and designing the file management system for saving / loading those. I'm also brainstorming custom sound kits, and figuring out what data would be in a sound kit file, and what data would be in a composition file.

• @mayo you can save the generated midi output by recording into beatmaker2 and InfiniteLooper

• That would be awesome !
    I'm only using the compositions with MIDI the out to drive samplers etc on IOS and DAW's - so the internal sounds saving is not that important to me.
    Your app is one of my all time faves :)

• I've saved the MIDI notes when running it into a DAW on the computer, but the functionality of loading a MIDI file isn't there yet. Thinking out loud, a MIDI file is probably the most compatible way I can save a composition.

• @j2snell said:
    I've saved the MIDI notes when running it into a DAW on the computer, but the functionality of loading a MIDI file isn't there yet. Thinking out loud, a MIDI file is probably the most compatible way I can save a composition.

Saving would be terrific. Inability to do is what causes me to not open the app when I'm sometimes close to doing so etc...

• So - are you saying that we could possibly be able to save the notes that have been selected on the app?
    That is all I really need to be able to reload.
    At the moment I am recording the MIDI data onto my DAW - (which is great)
    but I cannot return to the app for further exploration of the chosen notes / and develop my ideas further.