Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sweet Refraktions Update!

Comments

• @MusicMan4Christ My kind of jam session too, much room for happy accidents when routing into iWavestation in particular.

Looking forward to any RF refinements.

• @j2snell said:
    @soundklinik @kobamoto Re: octaves. So the idea would be each instrument would have it's own octave control, then a global offset? For example:

Global: octave 0
    Instrument 1: octave -2
    Instrument 2: octave 1
    Instrument 3: octave 0

Then if you knock the global down one, it would automatically offset each individual one down, so there octave output would be:

Instrument 1: octave -3
    Instrument 2: octave 0
    Instrument 3: octave -1

Actually I was thinking that each instrument would have a some kind of adjustment where you "dial" in your octave. Like a arrows < C3> just under the synth name and tapping arrow would change octave. (It could be even midi controllable...and start from a note)

Why a global octave? Is it necessary? I thought that each synth is "independent" and all synths are set to a global octave by default.
    See I don't know what's under the hood. I imagined each synth has a full sound spectrum from C-1 to C-9 (theoretically) and you set it to a best overall pitch.
    Thanks

• edited April 2017

This in combination with SampleTank or reslice Is Great ;) thx @j2snell

• I am completely blown away at the Aritificial Intelligence of Refraktions!

Seriously! Just recorded a long play of about 25 minutes, where I gave Refraktions a little start of what I wanted things to sound like, then over time, it took over and it played things as if it knew my heart! As if it could somehow read my mind and make beautiful leads of Saxophone, sounds that literally almost brought tears of joy and awe to my heart!

Honestly @j2snell you have something extremely special created here. An app, that not only has your exquisite programming but somehow, you have created an app that truly is awe inspiring at its ability to somehow know what our hearts are thinking music wise.

Thank you sooooo much for creating this amazing app!!!

I will try to post a video of this long play Saxophone instrumental that I can honestly say, was created by Refraktions, directly from my heart.

• @soundklinik A global octave wouldn't be necessary, just brainstorming. It could easily apply to each specific instrument independently with no global.

• @Bartlinux you're welcome!

• @MusicMan4Christ really happy to hear this. I built early versions of this system in 2009 on iOS2, so I'm really happy to see how it's grown over the years and become more and more responsive to individual users.

• Hi J, just when I make something I really love, I realize that there is no way to save the current state of Refraktions - which is very sad indeed :(
    Are you planning on being able to save these working states?

• For other users of this app - what would be the best app to record the midi output of Refraktions?
    Having not recorded any midi on my ipads to date, only to external DAWs, what is the best midi app you guys use to record midi ?
    I would like to record the midi, and then adjust /move/mute notes and then overdub other midi parts.
    What do you all use?

• Hi @Mayo by state saving, do you mean the current arrangement of notes at a given time? Or do you mean settings you've selected in the Settings Panel (which currently should be recalled from session to session unless you uninstall the app)

• edited April 2017

Exactly what i was just thinking about. On the iPhone SE, i only have infinite Looper and BeatMaker 2 to record my midi, but didn't use it in my last projects. I really wish LooperVerse by @Retronyms recorded multi channel midi in realtime. That would be my mini Cubasis on the iPhone. But on the iPad, I would really recommend Cubasis. It is by far the easiest to set up midi wise and once Refraktions gets on AB3, it will be even easier. Can't wait. Right now I've been working on my iPhone case its so much easier to carry around.

@Mayo said:
    For other users of this app - what would be the best app to record the midi output of Refraktions?
    Having not recorded any midi on my ipads to date, only to external DAWs, what is the best midi app you guys use to record midi ?
    I would like to record the midi, and then adjust /move/mute notes and then overdub other midi parts.
    What do you all use?

• edited April 2017

For those on the fence on this app, here's the long play (24 minutes) where Refraktions really shows how much it also loves the Saxophone :)
    iWavestation, GeoShred, Mitosynth, SampleTank 2 Miroslav, SensualSax.

Couldn't post video as I need wifi. :)
    Enjoy....

Refraktions Smooth Saxophone-MM4C at USA by MusicMan4Christ on #SoundCloud

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    I am completely blown away at the Aritificial Intelligence of Refraktions!

Seriously! Just recorded a long play of about 25 minutes, where I gave Refraktions a little start of what I wanted things to sound like, then over time, it took over and it played things as if it knew my heart! As if it could somehow read my mind and make beautiful leads of Saxophone, sounds that literally almost brought tears of joy and awe to my heart!

Honestly @j2snell you have something extremely special created here. An app, that not only has your exquisite programming but somehow, you have created an app that truly is awe inspiring at its ability to somehow know what our hearts are thinking music wise.

Thank you sooooo much for creating this amazing app!!!

I will try to post a video of this long play Saxophone instrumental that I can honestly say, was created by Refraktions, directly from my heart.

• Hi J - I'm thinking the current state of notes, so I can come back to various ideas and develop the ideas further, or tryout new combos of apps/hardware responding to the saved state of Refraktions.

Another idea came to mind, that would take it this app to the next level, is to be able to change the key of the current composition live, like shifting the whole conglomeration of notes up a tone, or down.
    Even via midi keyboard so one could change the root key of the work and have everything moving around musically...
    But I understand this may be a big ask.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    For those on the fence on this app, here's the long play (24 minutes) where Refraktions really shows how much it also loves the Saxophone :)

Epic in almost every way :)

• @Mayo Re: state-saving: I have thought about this at times, even though I can capture a current moment by recording the MIDI output, but there's no way to load it back in and start from that moment again. Interesting thing about the RF works is that it would go in a different direction from the saved state each time you loaded it. Same starting place, but it would morph into a different variations each time. I'm sure I could save the MIDI notes and their locations into a MIDI file, but haven't used other apps that do this. How do other apps load external MIDI information, like from the computer?

Re: key change - I've seen some of the Heavocity VST's do this and it definitely has been useful to me. It seems like the program sets aside certain keys, perhaps way at the bottom of the range or the top of the range as the key changers. Has this been your experience?

I do plan to make RF accept MIDI from external controllers. As it becomes more of a sequencer, it makes sense to be able to input MIDI via a keyboard or other MIDI controllers because the iPhone screen size is so small compared to other surfaces. Definitely useful in a live setting where it's hard to focus on small interfaces. When I do that, I could look at key changes as well.

• Hi J - a question I would like to ask:
    I'm currently driving thumbjam with the app, and when I go over to thumbjam to change the instrument - or make adjustments, Refraktions stops working and I lose the idea I am working on.
    Why is this so?

• I would really like to be able to have an idea going, and move to the other apps responding and not have to start again, and basically lose the whole work :(
  • Try putting TJ in AUM. I'll test and see.

@Mayo said

Hi J - a question I would like to ask:
    I'm currently driving thumbjam with the app, and when I go over to thumbjam to change the instrument - or make adjustments, Refraktions stops working and I lose the idea I am working on.
    Why is this so?

• I would really like to be able to have an idea going, and move to the other apps responding and not have to start again, and basically lose the whole work :(
  • General, I'm honored! Double salute SS!

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

Epic in almost every way :)

• Thanks MusicMan4Christ,
    Ive been avoiding purchasing AUM, but I think I need to go there to get everything swimming together.

• Works perfectly in AUM :)

@Mayo said:
    Thanks MusicMan4Christ,
    Ive been avoiding purchasing AUM, but I think I need to go there to get everything swimming together.

• @Mayo said:

Sure, a few questions that will help me diagnose:

1) Are you targeting Thumbjam via MIDI?
    2) Does RF crash when you make an adjustment in Thumbjam?
    3) Is background mode "on" in RF?
    3) Does it work if you start a setup in Thumbjamb, then go to RF and enter notes?

• edited April 2017

I retract my older comment about this being 'too stylish for its own good' or something along those lines. It's very easy to set up and gets interesting, if imperfect, results. Lucky for me I got it free a long while ago, but would gladly pay for it now.

• I retract my older comment about this being 'too stylish for its own good' or something along those lines. It's very easy to set up and gets interesting, if imperfect, results.

Haha well thank you. Stricken from the record :)

• You got me going with Thumb Jam now! Wow, so cool with RF!

I also placed Synthmaster and had RF drive a preset with an ARP, wow! Really wish Addictive Pro Synth was on the iPhone.

• OK J - I found the problem,
    I started TJ first, them RF - and it works as it should.
    Sorry to alarm you.

But please can we be able to save the notes/sequencer steps that we have going so we can come back to develop ideas further.
    I find I make incredible work with this app, and would love to save it.
    ATM I can record to midi on my DAW, but by saving the work I can re perform it again, drop in sections on my DAW, especially as you have the wonderful jog wheel, that allows me to speed up and slow down the sequence - this is SO expressive!
    Currently when I have recorded all into midi, it becomes static midi data: I dont have the jog wheel anymore to further refine my idea, so by saving the notes and sequence, I can perfect and rework a live performance of my ideas until it is right.
    Its really the greatest app out there for film composition!

• OK - it stopped again after about 5-10 minutes of running and I lost all of the note/seq data when I went over to TJ screen.

Background mode is off
    Midi destination is TJ
    RF does not crash when I make an adjustment in Thumbjam, it only happens (sometimes) when I leave the RF screen to go over to TJ - all notes disappear.

• Background mode is off
    Midi destination is TJ
    RF does not crash when I make an adjustment in Thumbjam, it only happens (sometimes) when I leave the RF screen to go over to TJ - all notes disappear.

@Mayo If background mode is off, RF should turn off all of it's MIDI notes. Try it with background mode on. Perhaps the bug here is that the MIDI notes going outwards are still seeping through when background mode is off. I'll look into that.

• Hi J - when it happens, there is no sequence or notes showing on the screen
    (in the bottom LH corner shows nothing is being generated - all notes and seq have disappeared )
    I'm trying out AUM, so no problem, I'll get around it.
    Thanks for your time.

• @j2snell said:

I do plan to make RF accept MIDI from external controllers. As it becomes more of a sequencer, it makes sense to be able to input MIDI via a keyboard or other MIDI controllers because the iPhone screen size is so small compared to other surfaces. Definitely useful in a live setting where it's hard to focus on small interfaces. When I do that, I could look at key changes as well.

that would be nice. Thanks for your continued development of Refraktions.

• Currently when I have recorded all into midi, it becomes static midi data: I dont have the jog wheel anymore to further refine my idea, so by saving the notes and sequence, I can perfect and rework a live performance of my ideas until it is right.

@Mayo well articulated - I'll definitely research how to do this.