Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sweet Refraktions Update!

Comments

• edited April 2017

Sold.

Thanks @skiphunt !

I recommend you add your entire post as an app review. It doesn't get any better than this!

@skiphunt said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    Yeah was thinking the same and for a very responsive dev I also think this as well. Thanks Skiphunt.

Again, this is obviously based on my own interests. I'm not a big beat maker or song crafting sort. More into sound experimentation with some attention to compositional structure.

To compare Refraktions with 2 other apps I like. Mixtikl also has some very nice algorithms under the hood. Apart from the fact Intermorphic has reportedly abandoned it now, and it's impossible GUI, it is capable of some very sweet generative music. The trouble is, I never really felt like I had that much influence over it. A little with some changes in parameters, but not really "hands on". Moodscaper makes some beautiful sounds too. Although it is more hands-on than Mixtikl, it always sounds fairly similar to me, whether I'm setting up custom automation or just letting it do it's thing. If that dev would make importing your own samples easy to do with document import and/or AudioShare, that'd be another story. But, that's beating a dead horse at this point. I still think Moodscaper makes very beautiful compositions that are great for when you just want to create something quick to lay under some video for mood.

Refraktions has the best algorithms out of the three (for my taste). It also has beautiful built-in synths to use as well that don't sound as conventional as the delightful strings in Moodscaper. It allows you go be more hands-on with how the composition evolves, and it's A.I. learns over time what your choices tend to be in order to influence the algorithm. You can control the progression of how the composition evolves with the large jog shuttle dial, and you can easily control the tempo while playing it.

Refraktions' midi out implementation is very clear and easy to configure in a variety of ways and arrangements if you want to record the midi compositions externally, then change and use your own synths after the fact. For example, let's say you've recorded Refraktions' 7 "instruments" of midi externally and you particularly like the general composition. You can then assign different synths to each part, or the same synth to all or multiple parts, for a completely new piece based on the original composition. And then, take that same midi foundation and use new synths for yet more diverse versions based on the original composition.

Add to all that... it's very easy to figure out and use. The use itself is very simple, but allows for more of your own expression and influence. The end result feels more like something you had a hand in creating, rather than simply pushing a few buttons with instant nice soundscapes. With the other examples, you're likely always going to get good results no matter what you do. With Refraktions you have to engage more and exert more of your self into the final composition. That's why I'm a fan of this app in particular.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Sold.

Thanks @skiphunt !

I recommend you add your entire post as an app review. It doesn't get any better than this!

My pleasure and good idea. :) That's pretty much all I can think of to say about why I like it. Other than I happen to like it's graphic interface design, it's universal, and it's got a small 40MB footprint.

@skiphunt said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    Yeah was thinking the same and for a very responsive dev I also think this as well. Thanks Skiphunt.

Again, this is obviously based on my own interests. I'm not a big beat maker or song crafting sort. More into sound experimentation with some attention to compositional structure.

To compare Refraktions with 2 other apps I like. Mixtikl also has some very nice algorithms under the hood. Apart from the fact Intermorphic has reportedly abandoned it now, and it's impossible GUI, it is capable of some very sweet generative music. The trouble is, I never really felt like I had that much influence over it. A little with some changes in parameters, but not really "hands on". Moodscaper makes some beautiful sounds too. Although it is more hands-on than Mixtikl, it always sounds fairly similar to me, whether I'm setting up custom automation or just letting it do it's thing. If that dev would make importing your own samples easy to do with document import and/or AudioShare, that'd be another story. But, that's beating a dead horse at this point. I still think Moodscaper makes very beautiful compositions that are great for when you just want to create something quick to lay under some video for mood.

Refraktions has the best algorithms out of the three (for my taste). It also has beautiful built-in synths to use as well that don't sound as conventional as the delightful strings in Moodscaper. It allows you go be more hands-on with how the composition evolves, and it's A.I. learns over time what your choices tend to be in order to influence the algorithm. You can control the progression of how the composition evolves with the large jog shuttle dial, and you can easily control the tempo while playing it.

Refraktions' midi out implementation is very clear and easy to configure in a variety of ways and arrangements if you want to record the midi compositions externally, then change and use your own synths after the fact. For example, let's say you've recorded Refraktions' 7 "instruments" of midi externally and you particularly like the general composition. You can then assign different synths to each part, or the same synth to all or multiple parts, for a completely new piece based on the original composition. And then, take that same midi foundation and use new synths for yet more diverse versions based on the original composition.

Add to all that... it's very easy to figure out and use. The use itself is very simple, but allows for more of your own expression and influence. The end result feels more like something you had a hand in creating, rather than simply pushing a few buttons with instant nice soundscapes. With the other examples, you're likely always going to get good results no matter what you do. With Refraktions you have to engage more and exert more of your self into the final composition. That's why I'm a fan of this app in particular.

>

• I'm loving it!!!

• @skiphunt said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

Refraktions has the best algorithms out of the three (for my taste). It also has beautiful built-in synths to use as well that don't sound as conventional as the delightful strings in Moodscaper. It allows you to be more hands-on with how the composition evolves, and it's A.I. learns over time what your choices tend to be in order to influence the algorithm. You can control the progression of how the composition evolves with the large jog shuttle dial, and you can easily control the tempo while playing it.

What Skip said!
    It is a beautiful app in so many ways.

• This is one sweet sounding app!!
    OMG!!!
    Why did I wait so long to get this app.

Wow! I am really really enjoying the music I'm making with this amazing app!

If I were you, get it before the price goes up. I missed the boat on the first sale, but at the current price it's a total no brainer fo atmospheric pads and sounds! Can't wait to show something I make.

• Is there a chance AB 2 or 3 is on your list to update?

Also perhaps in the future would be so cool to have the ability to restrict say a midi out only to certain notes. I think this is possible already with AB 3. So you might not have to program. But ability to control notes or melodies would rock, then let AI take over and create its stuff!

Nice job!

@j2snell said:
    @kobamoto I also plan to release more internal sample kits, either produced by me or other electronic musicians.

• @soundklinik Thanks for asking about octaves, that is on my list. One possibility is that the octave gets set globally, like the tempo. So all the instruments would shift to a higher or lower tempo. Or I could have the octave be set per instrument. Which would you feel would be more useful?

• @MusicMan4Christ Glad you're enjoying it! Definitely hit me up anytime you run into any obstacles with it. Current AudioBus 2 is implemented, and I'll be updating to AB 3 soon. It sounds like AB3 has that ability to filter MIDI ranges so would that take care of your goal?

• Thanks!! Wow! Just had a chance to finally send its midi out to AUM with Mitosynth, Sensual Sax and iWavestation and jaw hit the floor!!!

Octaves per instrument would be so awesome. Was actually looking for that in AUM but couldn't find it. I wonder if AB3 would allow that also?

Either way, this app is truly special! I'm completely blown away how gifted you are to develop such an amazing app! Between this and KRFT I'm my cup runneth over!

Just referred a bunch of fellow musicians to your app. They were blown away at what they heard. I'll try to make a short video clip or audio since I'm limited cell data.

@j2snell said:
    @MusicMan4Christ Glad you're enjoying it! Definitely hit me up anytime you run into any obstacles with it. Current AudioBus 2 is implemented, and I'll be updating to AB 3 soon. It sounds like AB3 has that ability to filter MIDI ranges so would that take care of your goal?

• @MusicMan4Christ I'd love to see any video or audio you make with it :) And controlling the octave per instrument is making more sense to me right now. I'm happy to hear from anyone else what they think of octave control.

Thanks!
    Jason

• @j2snell said:
    @soundklinik Thanks for asking about octaves, that is on my list. One possibility is that the octave gets set globally, like the tempo. So all the instruments would shift to a higher or lower tempo. Or I could have the octave be set per instrument. Which would you feel would be more useful?

Thank you for reply j2snell, I would personally prefer independent octave per instrument, you can get much more variety of sounds from Instruments, so whole spectrum of sound can be covered... from basses to bells. That would be great,

• Hi all - first time posting here - but a looooong time lurker....
    I'm loving this app - but find I keep bumping the BPM around as 2 fingers anywhere makes for a whole lot of frustration for me.
    Maybe a switch to turn it off? - or only change the BPM on the left side of the screen?

Looking forward to running it through Reaktor, Cthulhu, hardware synths, H8000 etc etc.
    Such a cool app!

• @j2snell said:
    @soundklinik Thanks for asking about octaves, that is on my list. One possibility is that the octave gets set globally, like the tempo. So all the instruments would shift to a higher or lower tempo. Or I could have the octave be set per instrument. Which would you feel would be more useful?

+1 for option for both.

• Looks like my cup of tea based on the new video. Thanks for that. @j2snell did you say somewhere that you were considering a more percussive oriented approach to this app?

• @Mayo said:
    Hi all - first time posting here - but a looooong time lurker....
    I'm loving this app - but find I keep bumping the BPM around as 2 fingers anywhere makes for a whole lot of frustration for me.
    Maybe a switch to turn it off? - or only change the BPM on the left side of the screen?

Looking forward to running it through Reaktor, Cthulhu, hardware synths, H8000 etc etc.
    Such a cool app!

Welcome to the romper room Mayo....good point on the BPM, happens over here also...

• Peaceful Day- Refraktions Demo MM4C

Refraktions by Jason Snell:
    https://appsto.re/us/vGcOZ.i

My first audio demo of this ultra inspirational generative app!

All completely done on the iPhone SE.

Here Refraktions is driving the following synths via MIDI:

IWavestation
    Geoshred
    Mitosynth
    Sensual Sax

I highly recommend this app!

MM4C

@j2snell said:
    @MusicMan4Christ Glad you're enjoying it! Definitely hit me up anytime you run into any obstacles with it. Current AudioBus 2 is implemented, and I'll be updating to AB 3 soon. It sounds like AB3 has that ability to filter MIDI ranges so would that take care of your goal?

• For this on low cell data like me:

Audio only:

Refraktions Demo MM4C at USA by MusicMan4Christ on #SoundCloud

• @soundklinik @kobamoto Re: octaves. So the idea would be each instrument would have it's own octave control, then a global offset? For example:

Global: octave 0
    Instrument 1: octave -2
    Instrument 2: octave 1
    Instrument 3: octave 0

Then if you knock the global down one, it would automatically offset each individual one down, so there octave output would be:

Instrument 1: octave -3
    Instrument 2: octave 0
    Instrument 3: octave -1

• @Mayo @JohnnyGoodyear Re: tempo control. Do you feel the tempo control would be more useful in the Settings Panel, or is it useful to be able to change it in the main interface as it is now?

Possible solutions if I kept it in the main interface: Require 3-fingers to trigger the drag, or require a longer touch-time before the tempo controller appears...

• @lukesleepwalker Yes, been working this last month or so to create frameworks from the core code in RF so I can port it over to a rhythm based app. Same brains, but the parameters tweaked to create rhythm loops (like shorter loops, etc...)

• @MusicMan4Christ Amazing work. I guess it's a good sign if I don't even understand how RF made those sequences :) You've really customized it well.

• Hi J - 3 fingers would be much easier to stop changing BPM, or even in the settings panel where you could have it active on the surface, or make inactive.
    But yes I continually mistakenly change the BPM the way it currently is.

• @Mayo great good to know. Do you ever change the tempo mid-performance in a way you'd need it in the main interface? Or hopping over to the Settings Panel wouldn't be an inconvenience?

• @j2snell said:
    @Mayo @JohnnyGoodyear Re: tempo control. Do you feel the tempo control would be more useful in the Settings Panel, or is it useful to be able to change it in the main interface as it is now?

Possible solutions if I kept it in the main interface: Require 3-fingers to trigger the drag, or require a longer touch-time before the tempo controller appears...

I prefer it on the main interface. I don't have any issues accidentally changing tempo, but I suppose you could add a simple latch to lock it down for those who don't want it active.

• I had all the instruments hosted in AUM.

So the first track was iWavestation. I used a drum kit preset called: Electic Kt preset #40 in ROM card 10.

Then I just played the screen of my iPhone like you said and the notes triggered the kit in iWavestation! Was pretty awesome!

Then i played Mitosynth same way, but I think I had forgotten to change the midi channel from all to channel 2 same thing for Sensual Sax channel when I figured it out I changed them correctly but I guess the AI (artificial intelligence) had already taken over!

It did an awesome job!!!!

@j2snell said:
    @MusicMan4Christ Amazing work. I guess it's a good sign if I don't even understand how RF made those sequences :) You've really customized it well.

• Hey J
    I don't currently ever change the tempo mid-performance, but I can imagine a time where I would really like to.
    Its a great feature to have, and yes a lock switch would probably keep everyone content

• @skiphunt @Mayo Great, thanks for the feedback. A tempo-lock toggle in the Settings Panel would be easy to implement, and I think easy to understand for a new user. Thanks!

• @j2snell said:
    @Mayo @JohnnyGoodyear Re: tempo control. Do you feel the tempo control would be more useful in the Settings Panel, or is it useful to be able to change it in the main interface as it is now?

As mentioned the latch/lock would do it. For the record, I think the way you've designed the tempo interface is lovely...

• As mentioned the latch/lock would do it. For the record, I think the way you've designed the tempo interface is lovely...

Thanks!