Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sweet Refraktions Update!

Comments

• Looks like no stuck midi notes when it's left to free play. But when you add notes by hand by playing the reflections screen this still sometimes produces midi notes that get stuck (have no 'note off').

Got it, I'll add this to my bug list and dig deeper into the touch commands to discover where the note off isn't firing (or somehow firing before the note on). Thanks!

• I always want more granularity to tweak the sounds so it would be a great addition for me.

I'm also planning to give users more control over the automation per instrument (loop length, etc...)

• @j2snell said:

Could individual sounds also have multiple IAA instrument ports? Or, does it already do that... (runs off to check)

Doesn't appear to... +1 for multiple IAA instrument ports :)

Cool, I'll research that.

Although, I'm not sure how useful that would be since you already have great midi connectivity.

The synths in your sound engine do sound very nice... might be cool to be able to route them into separate IAA instrument channels with different effects on each. :)

• Although, I'm not sure how useful that would be since you already have great midi connectivity.

The synths in your sound engine do sound very nice... might be cool to be able to route them into separate IAA instrument channels with different effects on each. :)

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Eventually I plan to incorporate loading your own sounds, so in that case I think that would be more useful. But yeah, I use the MIDI mode.

• @j2snell said:

I always want more granularity to tweak the sounds so it would be a great addition for me.

I'm also planning to give users more control over the automation per instrument (loop length, etc...)

Excellent looking forward to further development.

• Here is a 5 minute demo video for Refraktions, for those who were curious...

Thanks,
    J

• This will be helpful @j2snell, thank you.

• excellent.

• Difference between this app and Moodscaper? Or do you use both?

• as far as I know you can't use your own samples in refractions but you should double check that

• @kobamoto said:
    as far as I know you can't use your own samples in refractions but you should double check that

False. You can send midi out per instrument, but you cannot yet use your own samples.

I like both, but overall I like the control, A.I., the algorithm and midi out better on Refraktions.

• Correct, no custom sample load yet, but that will be included in the future. Probably using AudioShare.

• what's false?

• @j2snell said:
    Correct, no custom sample load yet, but that will be included in the future. Probably using AudioShare.

sweet!

• edited April 2017

One thing I didn't get from the video is how one enters the notes please forgive if already shown :blush:

• @MusicMan4Christ no prob - you just tap the screen to enter notes. The vertically stacked zones are each their own instrument. Instruments at the top of the screen are higher in pitch, ones at the bottom are lower in pitch. One a note is added, the sequencer will play it as it loops. It's a real-time sequencer (although recently I've been brainstorm a step-write mode as well for finer control).

• @kobamoto I also plan to release more internal sample kits, either produced by me or other electronic musicians.

• Thanks! More control would be awesome! Then let the AI take over and see how things evolve.

@j2snell said:
    @MusicMan4Christ no prob - you just tap the screen to enter notes. The vertically stacked zones are each their own instrument. Instruments at the top of the screen are higher in pitch, ones at the bottom are lower in pitch. One a note is added, the sequencer will play it as it loops. It's a real-time sequencer (although recently I've been brainstorm a step-write mode as well for finer control).

• edited April 2017

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    Thanks! More control would be awesome! Then let the AI take over and see how things evolve.

@j2snell said:
    @MusicMan4Christ no prob - you just tap the screen to enter notes. The vertically stacked zones are each their own instrument. Instruments at the top of the screen are higher in pitch, ones at the bottom are lower in pitch. One a note is added, the sequencer will play it as it loops. It's a real-time sequencer (although recently I've been brainstorm a step-write mode as well for finer control).

Of all the generative apps that evolve, but give you some control over how the evolution progresses, this one is by far my favorite. The sophisticated looking interface looks more cryptic to use than it actually is.

• @skiphunt said:

Of all the generative apps that evolve, but give you some control over how the evolution progresses, this one is by far my favorite. The sophisticated looking interface looks more cryptic to use than it actually is.

Great definition of humanity in general and the Missus in particular.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@skiphunt said:

Which part?

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@skiphunt said:

Which part?

Evolution to the generative rest of you, cryptic interface to the often enigmatic Mrs. Goodyear. :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@skiphunt said:

Which part?

Evolution to the generative rest of you, cryptic interface to the often enigmatic Mrs. Goodyear. :)

Love it.

• @skiphunt said:

@kobamoto said:
    as far as I know you can't use your own samples in refractions but you should double check that

False. You can send midi out per instrument, but you cannot yet use your own samples.

I like both, but overall I like the control, A.I., the algorithm and midi out better on Refraktions.

A nice workaround: load several instances of beathawk AU in AUM and load your samples there. Then send refraktion outputs to AUM. It should work

• edited April 2017

@j2snell , really great app...

How do you change octaves? And have synth X in one octave and another synth Y two octaves higher?

Thanks

• I'm on the fence but at the top. Really wondering how I'll use it. Although I've had it simebit was half price... missed the sale big time :s

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    I'm on the fence but at the top. Really wondering how I'll use it. Although I've had it simebit was half price... missed the sale big time :s

In my estimation, it's definitely worth more than he's asking. It just depends what your sonic interests are though. I'd easily rank this along with other apps selling in the $7-$9 range.

• Yeah was thinking the same and for a very responsive dev I also think this as well. Thanks Skiphunt.

• edited April 2017

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    Yeah was thinking the same and for a very responsive dev I also think this as well. Thanks Skiphunt.

Again, this is obviously based on my own interests. I'm not a big beat maker or song crafting sort. More into sound experimentation with some attention to compositional structure.

To compare Refraktions with 2 other apps I like. Mixtikl also has some very nice algorithms under the hood. Apart from the fact Intermorphic has reportedly abandoned it now, and it's impossible GUI, it is capable of some very sweet generative music. The trouble is, I never really felt like I had that much influence over it. A little with some changes in parameters, but not really "hands on". Moodscaper makes some beautiful sounds too. Although it is more hands-on than Mixtikl, it always sounds fairly similar to me, whether I'm setting up custom automation or just letting it do it's thing. If that dev would make importing your own samples easy to do with document import and/or AudioShare, that'd be another story. But, that's beating a dead horse at this point. I still think Moodscaper makes very beautiful compositions that are great for when you just want to create something quick to lay under some video for mood.

Refraktions has the best algorithms out of the three (for my taste). It also has beautiful built-in synths to use as well that don't sound as conventional as the delightful strings in Moodscaper. It allows you to be more hands-on with how the composition evolves, and it's A.I. learns over time what your choices tend to be in order to influence the algorithm. You can control the progression of how the composition evolves with the large jog shuttle dial, and you can easily control the tempo while playing it.

Refraktions' midi out implementation is very clear and easy to configure in a variety of ways and arrangements if you want to record the midi compositions externally, then change and use your own synths after the fact. For example, let's say you've recorded Refraktions' 7 "instruments" of midi externally and you particularly like the general composition. You can then assign different synths to each part, or the same synth to all or multiple parts, for a completely new piece based on the original composition. And then, take that same midi foundation and use new synths for yet more diverse versions based on the original composition.

Add to all that... it's very easy to figure out and use. The use itself is very simple, but allows for more of your own expression and influence. The end result feels more like something you had a hand in creating, rather than simply pushing a few buttons with instant nice soundscapes. With the other examples, you're likely always going to get good results no matter what you do. With Refraktions you have to engage more and exert more of your self into the final composition. That's why I'm a fan of this app in particular.

• Good round up/insight Mister Hunt.