Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sweet Refraktions Update!

Comments

• @j2snell said:
    Maybe a parameter to "shake everything up by x% after y measures" could be implemented?

Like a randomise if that makes sense. The x and y also being selectable.

I am considering adding, literally, a shake function that rearranges the composition. It would be more noticeable and tighter loops, like percussion, but could be useful for atmospheres too. Is that what you were thinking?

Exactly that but not in response to a physical gesture, more of a probability thing so I don't have to interact while I'm noodling with something else.

So that after x measures there is a probability of y% that the composition will alter z% (or less granular ... slightly/moderately/radically).

Even if this is not possible any refinements are welcome,

• Exactly that but not in response to a physical gesture, more of a probability thing so I don't have to interact while I'm noodling with something else.

So that after x measures there is a probability of y% that the composition will alter z% (or less granular ... slightly/moderately/radically).

Yes, of course. I have a series of algorithms in my regeneration class, and I can also tweak those for improvement. I think the planned change will be helpful that helps match the user's note density (few notes vs many notes)

• edited March 2017

My favorite generative app [Refraktions by Jason Snell https://appsto.re/us/vGcOZ.i with midi out, AI, etc. has just been updated and now supports audiobus as well as a few more fresh goodies! :)

• Brilliant.

I wonder if the stuck Midi notes have been fixed.

Will try later.

Great app.

• Lovely.

Added extra scales :).

Very unique app.

• Great update, works a lot better now. If you point it other synths without long attack and release you can see that it's quite possible to play it as you would anything else. What I don't get is how long I can actually play for before the AI takes over. It seems to be one bar. And I've had some trouble getting it to just keep playing without occasional long pauses in the melody.

Also, I wouldn't point it at a bunch of Gadget synths, that proved too much for Gadget to handle at once. Got a lot of stuttering in between moments of awesome.

• This one interests me but need a good recent video to hook me in :o B) o:)

• edited March 2017

After updating, I wasn't getting sound from internal synths. After resetting the A.I. everything seemed to work again, but to play it safe, I went ahead and deleted/reinstalled.

First impressions of this new build so far:

• Jog shuttle control much more responsive and easier to dial in
    • The 2-finger tempo control works perfectly now. Before I'd have to swipe a few times to activate
    • The new feature of being able to swipe right to turn off each of the 7 instruments, works very well and opens this app up for much better user customization of the generative composition
    • Works perfectly in AudioBus
    • I can't remember if I tried out the Ableton Link setting before, but I just did and it works well. Had it playing in sync with some strings in blocs wave. Great combo
    • Played with changing the scales, but I haven't spent enough time to evaluate the difference
    • It was excellent before, but now everything across the board feels more efficient and slightly more refined
    • Sending midi out of 7 different channels to different synths works as well as before. No hiccups, nor have I noticed any stuck notes yet. Someone mentioned that in a previous build and I noticed that happening too, but it was fairly rare. Has not happened (yet) in this new build

Being more of a soundscape, sound designing, fiddler... who doesn't play any traditional instruments, I really dig generative stuff to help me get started. I've got a half dozen "generative" apps. I love them all actually, but I also like to have more user influence over the direction and shape of the generative composition is going. All of my generative apps have this component to varying degrees, but Refraktions is now currently at the top of the heap of all the generative apps I own.

It's also Universal! Highly recommended :)

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    This one interests me but need a good recent video to hook me in :o B) o:)

Right with you. I read this thread and I think, "It certainly sounds neat, and the price is right, but What Will It Do For Me Lately?" A 5 minute demo vid to help users understand the Refraktions value proposition would be awesome :sunglasses:

• edited March 2017

@eustressor said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

Right with you. I read this thread and I think, "It certainly sounds neat, and the price is right, but What Will It Do For Me Lately?" A 5 minute demo vid to help users understand the Refraktions value proposition would be awesome :sunglasses:

I have no skin in this. I just really like this app. The dev is very approachable and seems like a very sharp cookie. I'd do a video myself, but that's not really my thing. Can't believe no one else has yet. I did see that all you have to do is connect your iPad or iPhone to your computer and select new recording in Quicktime, etc. I may try one later, but it won't have a bunch of fancy extra text, shots of me hamming it up up with joyous facial expressions while bobbing my head around, showing off my primitive digits, or warbly giggling voice over. ;) Just the output of the ipad into a clip. Not sure that would be of any help or value anyway.

Its actually one of those hidden gem apps that I don't want anyone else to get hip to, but I discovered it here on this forum to begin with and want to share the love. :)

• @eustressor said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

I also would like a fleshing out of the brand essence along with a better understanding of the FBA/FUD...

:)

VP.png 161.2K
  • maybe @j2snell will drop a gift to our friend Jakob Haq so that he can dazzle us with a video?

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    maybe @j2snell will drop a gift to our friend Jakob Haq so that he can dazzle us with a video?

A fine idea for all concerned, but I rather hope that JakHaq is busy getting Layr'd on our behalf...

• edited March 2017

@lukesleepwalker said:
    maybe @j2snell will drop a gift to our friend Jakob Haq so that he can dazzle us with a video?

The dev is actually a filmmaker. He @j2snell recently showed a short film in Berlin that parallels his own music. I bet he could whip up a decent demo video. :)

I vaguely remember a video somewhere at some point when I was first turned onto it.

There's one on his site from a previous build:

http://app.jasonjsnell.com/refraktions/

• Works a lot better (more responsive) and because it support extra music scales its also much easier to fit into a project.

For everyone who don't understand this app, its a bit similar to gestrument. You first choose a music scale, next play some notes (7 tracks total) and it generates new melodies based on the notes you just played. Very cool and also works nice controlling other software synths or to record the midi-out into your daw.

• Hey Matt,

Let me know if you get any stuck notes again. I rebuild the touch interface for better control and responsiveness (I was using some of Apple's gesture recognizers but this time custom built my own). I'm guessing the stuck note was an issue with touchEnded misfiring and not sending the correct midiOff. But if it happens again, drop me a line and I'll look deeper into the MIDI.

Thanks,
    Jason

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    I wonder if the stuck Midi notes have been fixed.

• @skiphunt said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

The dev is actually a filmmaker. He @j2snell recently showed a short film in Berlin that parallels his own music. I bet he could whip up a decent demo video. :)

Yes, I will make a longer demo video than the current one. Been busy with travel and debugging :) I did have time to update the general website so it has more details about the app and what it does, including specs.

• @j2snell said:

@skiphunt said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Yes, I will make a longer demo video than the current one. Been busy with travel and debugging :) I did have time to update the general website so it has more details about the app and what it does, including specs.

Awesome :sunglasses: Looking forward to it :+1:

• Great update, all I can do is echo the other words of praise.

• @TheVimFuego said:
    Great update, all I can do is echo the other words of praise.

Great!

Question: how useful would it be to have the individual sounds have their own Audiobus ports? Or is one port sufficient for how people are using it?

• edited March 2017

@j2snell said:

@TheVimFuego said:

Great!

Question: how useful would it be to have the individual sounds have their own Audiobus ports? Or is one port sufficient for how people are using it?

Could individual sounds also have multiple IAA instrument ports? Or, does it already do that... (runs off to check)

Doesn't appear to... +1 for multiple IAA instrument ports :)

• So have tested with Gadget.

Looks like no stuck midi notes when it's left to free play. But when you add notes by hand by playing the reflections screen this still sometimes produces midi notes that get stuck (have no 'note off').

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    So have tested with Gadget.

Looks like no stuck midi notes when it's left to free play. But when you add notes by hand by playing the reflections screen this still sometimes produces midi notes that get stuck (have no 'note off').

Does this result in weird stuttering/engine revving type sounds with rapid fire notes? Cause that's what I got when I hooked it up to Gadget, in between moments of normal playing.

• @db909 said:

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    So have tested with Gadget.

Does this result in weird stuttering/engine revving type sounds with rapid fire notes? Cause that's what I got when I hooked it up to Gadget, in between moments of normal playing.

Nope. But i guess it might depend on the patch in Gadget.

I just put 3 tracks into 3 Gadget tracks. So I wasn't overloading it.

• Maybe it's because I sent all the tracks to Gadget. Can't blame me for trying

• Yes!
    Great update.

• @j2snell said:

@TheVimFuego said:

Great!

I always want more granularity to tweak the sounds so it would be a great addition for me.

Can confirm the UI the much more responsive now.

It's great to have this running in the background and just noodling over it.

• @TheVimFuego said:

@j2snell said:

@TheVimFuego said:

Great!

I always want more granularity to tweak the sounds so it would be a great addition for me.

What do you find it best to record into etc.?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@j2snell said:

@TheVimFuego said:

Great!

What do you find it best to record into etc.?

To be honest I haven't been focused enough to actually record anything yet!

Work has been hectic so kicking back and just jamming is enough for me. I guess I should capture some of this "magic" but meh ... :)

• Could individual sounds also have multiple IAA instrument ports? Or, does it already do that... (runs off to check)

Doesn't appear to... +1 for multiple IAA instrument ports :)

Cool, I'll research that.