Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sweet Refraktions Update!

Comments

• Great to hear that this app is going places. Here's a link to the official demo video.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y0o09fiwG5k&feature=youtu.be

• edited January 2017

@j2snell said:
    Hey, this is Jason, developer on the Refraktions app. Wanted to thank everyone for their emails and input on how you're using the app. One of my challenges was figuring out other studio setups so everything you've shared has been really helpful. The app was originally developed for my own studio, controlling my hardware synths and modulars via MIDI. I haven't done much with inter app connections so each situation you've all shared has helped me learn about how you're using music apps in iOS.

I'll be doing an update soon with a Background Mode that will keep the audio and MIDI playing when you exit the app, and the ability to target which iOS apps you want to send the MIDI notes to.

After that I'll explore IAA and Audiobus. I wanted to get a sense of who uses what - is there an advantage of having the app integrate both technologies? Or is everyone using only Audiobus?

Thanks again for all the feedback, and please share with me any other obstacles you run into.

Hey Jason, great to see you here and thanks for the brilliant app!

I'm mostly using IAA, but ideally both could be implemented. I use AudioBus for a couple apps that don't play well in IAA environs, but curious what AudioBus3 will bring as well sometime this year.

• @j2snell Welcome Jason. Interesting piece of thingie you've got here. IAA and/or AB would be nice. Whatever works. Congrats on your efforts so far....

• Thanks @JohnnyGoodyear I'll keep you posted. Also working on a rhythm based version with tighter loops that work for evolving percussion / techno.

• @j2snell said:
    Thanks @JohnnyGoodyear I'll keep you posted. Also working on a rhythm based version with tighter loops that work for evolving percussion / techno.

>

Oooo. Multiple AU instances of this under AUM would be rather enticing.

• @j2snell said:
    Hey, this is Jason, developer on the Refraktions app. Wanted to thank everyone for their emails and input on how you're using the app. One of my challenges was figuring out other studio setups so everything you've shared has been really helpful. The app was originally developed for my own studio, controlling my hardware synths and modulars via MIDI. I haven't done much with inter app connections so each situation you've all shared has helped me learn about how you're using music apps in iOS.

I'll be doing an update soon with a Background Mode that will keep the audio and MIDI playing when you exit the app, and the ability to target which iOS apps you want to send the MIDI notes to.

After that I'll explore IAA and Audiobus. I wanted to get a sense of who uses what - is there an advantage of having the app integrate both technologies? Or is everyone using only Audiobus?

Thanks again for all the feedback, and please share with me any other obstacles you run into.

Thank you, having background mode will be great.

Having Audiobus support and IAA allows you to more easily switch between the apps you're using and since your app can also generate sound too, it allows for the audio to be routed through effects also. If you do IAA, be sure to include host start/stop functionality so you can easily record in sync with other apps running in the IAA host app.

• Having Audiobus support and IAA allows you to more easily switch between the apps you're using and since your app can also generate sound too, it allows for the audio to be routed through effects also. If you do IAA, be sure to include host start/stop functionality so you can easily record in sync with other apps running in the IAA host app.

Ah, that's really useful to know. I'll implement a start stop with IAA.

• @j2snell said:

Having Audiobus support and IAA allows you to more easily switch between the apps you're using and since your app can also generate sound too, it allows for the audio to be routed through effects also. If you do IAA, be sure to include host start/stop functionality so you can easily record in sync with other apps running in the IAA host app.

Ah, that's really useful to know. I'll implement a start stop with IAA.

Cool stuff Jason, (cool name btw!)
    loving RF so far, IAA would be awesome!
    As would the 'rhythm based version'.... can't wait!
    Cheers
    Jason
    :)

• loving RF so far, IAA would be awesome!

Thanks - working on the IAA now...

• @j2snell said:

Truly. It's a beautiful app, but that would push it into that rare atmosphere of beautiful and vital.

• Truly. It's a beautiful app, but that would push it into that rare atmosphere of beautiful and vital.

That's exactly the space I'm aiming for...

• @j2snell said:

Truly. It's a beautiful app, but that would push it into that rare atmosphere of beautiful and vital.

That's exactly the space I'm aiming for...

Good to hear (and it will be :))....

• @j2snell said:
    Thanks @JohnnyGoodyear I'll keep you posted. Also working on a rhythm based version with tighter loops that work for evolving percussion / techno.

sweeeeeeet

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@j2snell said:

+1

• Would definitely like a more rhythmic version with tighter loops. And how often should I be pressing notes? I'm not too sure how to actually teach the AI effectively, it doesn't feel like I have much control.

• Would love to see more scales added.

• And how often should I be pressing notes? I'm not too sure how to actually teach the AI effectively, it doesn't feel like I have much control.

There's no real right or wrong on how many notes you press. Just depends on how busy you want the composition. I'll be refining some of the regeneration algorithms soon to better reflect the density of notes in a composition - right now many compositions end up being a similar density and that can be improved.

AI: It's a gradual learning over time, it's not something that would be noticeable within a single session. It looks at all the instruments and which notes you've selected over time then weighs that data when generating new compositions, mixed with an element of chance so it's not completely predictable.

• @Proto said:
    Would love to see more scales added.

Which scales specifically would be useful?

• @j2snell said:

@Proto said:

At least the modal one...but if you can implement a lot of different scales, this can really improve the originality of what is generated! Great app by the way

• @j2snell said:

@Proto said:

Import from scalegen perhaps?

http://www.gestrument.com/scalegen/

• @j2snell said:

@Proto said:

Hi @j2snell

Great app. And really great now it has background audio.

However, when you next do an update could you look into stock notes (no midi off being sent) in midi out mode. This is happening quite a lot for me.

• Import from scalegen perhaps?

Cool, I'll check that out!

• However, when you next do an update could you look into stock notes (no midi off being sent) in midi out mode. This is happening quite a lot for me.

To confirm, sometimes note off is being sent and sometimes it doesn't? Is is happening on particular areas of the screen or particular midi channels, or does it seem random?

Thanks,
    J

• @j2snell said:

However, when you next do an update could you look into stock notes (no midi off being sent) in midi out mode. This is happening quite a lot for me.

To confirm, sometimes note off is being sent and sometimes it doesn't? Is is happening on particular areas of the screen or particular midi channels, or does it seem random?

Thanks,
    J

Here's a screen grab. The first three tracks in Gadget are midi from Refrackions on channel 1, 2 and 3 respectively. The stuck notes are the very long ones that only stop right at the end of the clip.

Channel 1 has slightly more of them. But all 3 channels have them.

I used the first 3 rows (going from the top) of the UI in Refraktions to generate this track.

• edited February 2017

@j2snell said:

@Proto said:

The most common ones like:
    harmonic minor, major pentatonic, whole tone, major blues, minor blues, dorian, phrygian, lydian,mixolydian.

The most common ones used in apps like thumbjam,scalegen (gestrument),fuque machine. I know it are a lot of scales, but if you can add only a few of them it would be great. :)

• I was noodling around with this and Shoom earlier, much fun.

I'm a control freak but perversely I like the fire and forget nature of refraktions.

It stops me getting bogged down in detail.

I agree that the density could be a little more diverse, I tend to end up with subtle variations on the same thing. Maybe a parameter to "shake everything up by x% after y measures" could be implemented?

Like a randomise if that makes sense. The x and y also being selectable.

• Here's a screen grab. The first three tracks in Gadget are midi from Refrackions on channel 1, 2 and 3 respectively. The stuck notes are the very long ones that only stop right at the end of the clip.

Great, this is very useful. I'll dig into the MIDI manager and take a look. Thanks!

• harmonic minor, major pentatonic, whole tone, major blues, minor blues, dorian, phrygian, lydian,mixolydian.

Definitely. This list is great. I'll research them and implement as many as I can.

• Maybe a parameter to "shake everything up by x% after y measures" could be implemented?

Like a randomise if that makes sense. The x and y also being selectable.

I am considering adding, literally, a shake function that rearranges the composition. It would be more noticeable and tighter loops, like percussion, but could be useful for atmospheres too. Is that what you were thinking?

• @j2snell said:

Here's a screen grab. The first three tracks in Gadget are midi from Refrackions on channel 1, 2 and 3 respectively. The stuck notes are the very long ones that only stop right at the end of the clip.

Great, this is very useful. I'll dig into the MIDI manager and take a look. Thanks!

Thanks.

I would also agree it would be good to be able to choose a key and a scale.