Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New video app.lumafusion.

Comments

• very interesting! their video effects app is amazing. this looks very good too.

• would you still need their video fx app if you had this?

• @kobamoto said:
    would you still need their video fx app if you had this?

it looks like they are included in the new app

• I'd like to see reviews about performance. the ability to layer tracks is something essential that is missing in both iMovie and Pinnacle.

• @nick said:
    I'd like to see reviews about performance. the ability to layer tracks is something essential that is missing in both iMovie and Pinnacle.

3 audio/video tracks for photos, videos, graphics and titles. This seems like what you're asking for. Not sure whether it is actually true, it's hard to tell from the pics. Just 2 video tracks would be enough for me.

• yes, an dof course the tracks need to be rendered in realtime, but according to their website, they do. I believe them because their FX app is incredibly fast. I just wrote them an e- mail to make sure the tracks support alpha channels. If they don't this would be a show stopper for me but if they do, I'll probably get the app rather sooner than later.

• I'd be interested to know how the media library works, I have limited space so would want to have 'stock' files off the device and easily be able to send retrieve a project and all source files to/from remote storage.
    It says the right things in the description but would like to know how well it works in practice.

• @kobomoto
    you don't need the fx app as well, its all built into the fusion app plus you can then use the fx on typography titles, sequences of stills etc.. layers with opacity , all keyframable/animatable etc, a huge amount of creative scope ( i've been beta testing it for the last 3 months ) its really a big leap forward for ipad movie making and they have pushed to get this first version out for xmas but there is still a lot more functionality they have on the list to put in, which will be sorted in the next month or so..
    its half price for the next 6 days or so.. i don't think there will be anything around to touch this for a good while. good people with a serious intent to make this app do PRO video stuff. worth supporting, and i say that very seldom in my life.

• @nick
    they don't yet have alpha channels for video files but you can import png's etc with transparency at the moment, that works aok,
    they are definitely looking for a moving alpha channel solution, meantime i think masking and motion tracking will probably come first in the update shedule as far as i can make out from beta forum dialog..
    i've managed to open big sequences of stills at 2 frames each for timelapse/animation in the app so you might be able to find a workaround for video transparency that way?

• @RockySmalls said:
    @nick
    they don't yet have alpha channels for video files but you can import png's etc with transparency at the moment, that works aok,
    they are definitely looking for a moving alpha channel solution, meantime i think masking and motion tracking will probably come first in the update shedule as far as i can make out from beta forum dialog..
    i've managed to open big sequences of stills at 2 frames each for timelapse/animation in the app so you might be able to find a workaround for video transparency that way?

You know an awful lot about this app. Are you part of the team, beta tester or else?

• @AndyPlankton
    you'll have to wait a few more weeks for the full project/sources import export to be implemented, it's on the list somewhere near the top.. and I'll be banging on at them about it as soon as this xmas distraction is done with..
    it will render out at 4k (3840x2160) 100mbs quality so you can at leastkeep really hi res dupes of yr edits for now.. Chris has already flashed us a new tidy up beta on xmas eve! so he's no shirker for sure..

• Curses . After months of prevarication I finally got the desktop Pinnacle Ultimate* during Cyber sales , as I needed more tracks for graphics , overlays etc .
    (* pretty impressive package though I have to say , I'm now watching all the fancy TV tricks
    thinking " I can do that " . )

Had I just prevaricated a little more , this would have been perfectly fine for my needs .
    Now do I get this as well ? for Thunderbird mobile work , away from Tracey Island desktop.

@RockySmalls the app description doesn't mention project integration with Pinnacle desktop , although original Pinnacle app does . Would you know about this ?

• @RockySmalls
    awesome, thanks for the fast answer! too bad with alpha channels. I might still get it but will have to think some more.
    can you animate keyframes for position and scale for a video or still image and if yes is it an instant preview or need prerender?

• ah.. more googling reveals that LumaTouch , developers of PinnaclePro app on behalf of Corel , have released LumaFusion as their own new project , returning PinnaclePro development, support & forum back to Corel .

So will Corel continue to develop PP for IOS is another question into the mix , as presumably they now have a product of whose inner workings they have little knowledge ?

I'll ask LumaTouch about project compatability , but guess it will just be individual tracks as mov files import .

• @nick
    yep, still images, moving images all can be scaled and keyframed to move about the shop.. plus the opacity and pretty much every parameter of the fx ( including colour balances and contrasts etc ) can be keyframed. the shadows and edging on type can't be keyframed yet but i'm hassling for that. you can always use one of the edge fx on type and animate that instead . it recognises all the fonts i've installed on the ipad ( which even adobe stuff doesn't seem to do ) and you can install typefaces directly.. save preset styles and fancy titles you've worked on. blah blah, beginning to sound like a shareholder now so i'll shut up.
    "itza piece-a-work!" is all i can say :)

• @superdom
    yes beta tester for last 3 months.. and as a lurker on this here forum i seem to have found myself in the advocate role... which in this case i don't mind.. i think you are the kind of ipad-centric guys'n'gals who will squeeze some creative juice from this particular xmas satsuma. 'open in' importing from audioshare, wav, aac, mp3 all work great cut n splice as quick as tapping with two fingers either side of the cursor. keyframable audio levels and some discussion about getting some more keyframe audio fx in there too.
    i used to be a cute cut pro fan...! but this is way slicker, not much to fault workflow wise..

• @nick said:
    [...] make sure the tracks support alpha channels. [...]

Sorry off-topic, but do you know any iPad video editors with alpha channel?

• Is there layer transparency and audio track volume automation? Haven't got a decent video app so interested in this one.

• @RockySmalls said:
    @superdom
    yes beta tester for last 3 months.. and as a lurker on this here forum i seem to have found myself in the advocate role... which in this case i don't mind.. i think you are the kind of ipad-centric guys'n'gals who will squeeze some creative juice from this particular xmas satsuma. 'open in' importing from audioshare, wav, aac, mp3 all work great cut n splice as quick as tapping with two fingers either side of the cursor. keyframable audio levels and some discussion about getting some more keyframe audio fx in there too.
    i used to be a cute cut pro fan...! but this is way slicker, not much to fault workflow wise..

Thanks for the heads up and the advocacy :) All good. Certainly looks interesting....

• @RockySmalls Any tutorials you have links to/would suggest? Thanks.

• @Hmtx said:

@nick said:

I think that's coming, but I was able to knock out a transparent alpha channel in a still image in Procreate, save as PSD or PNG and retain the transparent still alpha channel layeredl in LumaFusion

• @skiphunt said:

@Hmtx said:

@nick said:

I think that's coming, but I was able to knock out a transparent alpha channel in a still image in Procreate, save as PSD or PNG and retain the transparent still alpha channel layeredl in LumaFusion

Mister Hunt, you're a visuals fellow, what's your gut instinct on this one?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@skiphunt said:

@Hmtx said:

@nick said:

I was also a beta tester for the last couple of months. Gives you a great deal of control. No other video editor allows you to work with layers and keyframeable fx. Developer seems to be on the ball with constant updates and fixes. The roadmap of more features looks rich. Price is higher than I thought they'd go, but at least they didn't go subscription which is what they were originally considering.

If you're just doing the basic transition cuts, with some "look/style" filters... The app called "Vee" is good. It also allows you to import in a soundtrack from AudioShare. Outputs 4k too. Quick and good, but limited control. It's also often free with some style IAPs.

There's another one called "Quik". If you don't want to style, or have a lot of control, but want some good "automatic editing" ie. you pick a general style, and add your clips.. "Quik" is good. It also outputs 4k and allows you to drop in our own audio. Not much control over the audio though. Quik used to be "Replay" and was heavily promoted by Apple. It wasn't free, and for extra "pro" features you had to buy IAPs. They sold out to GoPro to become Quik... then made it free.. which aggravated me. They have regular updates, and good results, but not that much control. Their algorithm does most of the work.

iMovie is decent for basic stuff and has some baked-in styles and effects, but the lack of user control can be frustrating. It also doesn't play well with others with regard to connectivity... kinda like GarageBand.

Pinnacle Studio Pro was originally owned by Avid (high-end industry standard for professional film/video editing) They sold it off to Corel, who outsourced it's development to LumaTouch. LumaTouch took PSP from a little bit clunky editor, to a more streamlined product capable of near pro-level projects. For some reason I'm not privy to, LumaTouch handed back the development of PSP to Corel, and broke out on their own to to LumaFusion. They also created LumaFX (all of which is built-into LumaFusion). PSP also exports in 4K, has good transitions and performance. You can also bring in your own audio mix but not much control over it. Until now, the only video editor you could export a high-res or low-res video to copy to Auria Pro, was Pinnacle Studio Pro. In AP, you can edit your audio, add more tracks, etc. Then bounce your new mix back into PSP.

LumaFusion also allows you to export to AuriaPro, edit, and bounce your audio soundtrack back to your video edit. They seem to be committed to making their LumaFusion the defacto professional video editing platform on the iPad. It's also universal. It's the only video editing app where you can stack layers and keyframe animated changes to video effects that interact with the layer they're stacked on. I think up to 3 layers in 4K. More in HD. You can keyframe the levels changes on each audio track that are also layered. LumaFusion is the only app that allows you to work with layers. You can choose the output you want on export, ie. you work on your project in kind of a proxy mode and decide what resolution you need on export... meaning if your source is 4k and you want your master to retain 4K resolution, but you only need a web-friendly low-res version now, you can simply choose to export in low resolution for smaller file sizes. There's a good titler built in, and you can keyframe those and/or apple effects to those too. For Pro-Level video editing, on the iPad/iPhone today... for the most control, speed, and quality... I think LumaFusion is the top of the heap.

• @RockySmalls said:
    @nick
    yep, still images, moving images all can be scaled and keyframed to move about the shop.. plus the opacity and pretty much every parameter of the fx ( including colour balances and contrasts etc ) can be keyframed. the shadows and edging on type can't be keyframed yet but i'm hassling for that. you can always use one of the edge fx on type and animate that instead . it recognises all the fonts i've installed on the ipad ( which even adobe stuff doesn't seem to do ) and you can install typefaces directly.. save preset styles and fancy titles you've worked on. blah blah, beginning to sound like a shareholder now so i'll shut up.
    "itza piece-a-work!" is all i can say :)

thanks for not shutting up :)
    I was similarly excited when I first put their FX app through some testing. so streamlined and great performance. this app looks similar to the FX app, grown into a real video editor

from the videos it seems obvious that this is a few levels above all other video editors on iPad so far

• @skiphunt said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@skiphunt said:

@Hmtx said:

@nick said:

I was also a beta tester for the last couple of months. Gives you a great deal of control. No other video editor allows you to work with layers and keyframeable fx. Developer seems to be on the ball with constant updates and fixes. The roadmap of more features looks rich. Price is higher than I thought they'd go, but at least they didn't go subscription which is what they were originally considering.

If you're just doing the basic transition cuts, with some "look/style" filters... The app called "Vee" is good. It also allows you to import in a soundtrack from AudioShare. Outputs 4k too. Quick and good, but limited control. It's also often free with some style IAPs.

There's another one called "Quik". If you don't want to style, or have a lot of control, but want some good "automatic editing" ie. you pick a general style, and add your clips.. "Quik" is good. It also outputs 4k and allows you to drop in our own audio. Not much control over the audio though. Quik used to be "Replay" and was heavily promoted by Apple. It wasn't free, and for extra "pro" features you had to buy IAPs. They sold out to GoPro to become Quik... then made it free.. which aggravated me. They have regular updates, and good results, but not that much control. Their algorithm does most of the work.

iMovie is decent for basic stuff and has some baked-in styles and effects, but the lack of user control can be frustrating. It also doesn't play well with others with regard to connectivity... kinda like GarageBand.

Pinnacle Studio Pro was originally owned by Avid (high-end industry standard for professional film/video editing) They sold it off to Corel, who outsourced it's development to LumaTouch. LumaTouch took PSP from a little bit clunky editor, to a more streamlined product capable of near pro-level projects. For some reason I'm not privy to, LumaTouch handed back the development of PSP to Corel, and broke out on their own to to LumaFusion. They also created LumaFX (all of which is built-into LumaFusion). PSP also exports in 4K, has good transitions and performance. You can also bring in your own audio mix but not much control over it. Until now, the only video editor you could export a high-res or low-res video to copy to Auria Pro, was Pinnacle Studio Pro. In AP, you can edit your audio, add more tracks, etc. Then bounce your new mix back into PSP.

LumaFusion also allows you to export to AuriaPro, edit, and bounce your audio soundtrack back to your video edit. They seem to be committed to making their LumaFusion the defacto professional video editing platform on the iPad. It's also universal. It's the only video editing app where you can stack layers and keyframe animated changes to video effects that interact with the layer they're stacked on. I think up to 3 layers in 4K. More in HD. You can keyframe the levels changes on each audio track that are also layered. LumaFusion is the only app that allows you to work with layers. You can choose the output you want on export, ie. you work on your project in kind of a proxy mode and decide what resolution you need on export... meaning if your source is 4k and you want your master to retain 4K resolution, but you only need a web-friendly low-res version now, you can simply choose to export in low resolution for smaller file sizes. There's a good titler built in, and you can keyframe those and/or apple effects to those too. For Pro-Level video editing, on the iPad/iPhone today... for the most control, speed, and quality... I think LumaFusion is the top of the heap.

great round up. :)

so are you saying you can have more layers / tracks with HD videos? I'd be interested how many

• yep, what @skiphunt said ( skip, on the luma forum i am Stockhausen for what its worth )
    except of course he's wrong about lumafusion being the only one to work with layers, Cute cut pro has had unlimited layers etc for a few years .. and it still does a couple of things that lumafusion doesn't (yet) but the interface and workarounds takes a bit of getting used to, i heartily recommend it for experimentalists who want a cheaper alternative.. and i'm advocating Lumafusion now because it will be a bit pricey for some in a week, but I know all these sales and the season will have dwindled peoples itunes accounts.. the team concentrated so hard on the 90 day countdown they maybe weren't up to speed with all the demo's etc that would help people make a decision... there isn't a manual yet, which would certainly stall me on the buy it button usually..
    that said.. it is really kinda user friendly and easy to get the swing of..

• @nick said:

@skiphunt said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@skiphunt said:

@Hmtx said:

@nick said:

great round up. :)

so are you saying you can have more layers / tracks with HD videos? I'd be interested how many

Not sure what the limit is.. I've stacked up around 5 HD without issue.

• @JohnnyGoodyear
    http://luma-touch.com/tutorials/
    the quick start covers the basics and all the functionality you can see in the lumaclip and luma fx tutorials on the same page is there in the fusion app. and more..
    hope that helps

• Thank you Gentlemen @RockySmalls good insight and @skiphunt great overview.

I have plunked down my twenty on the basis that tuts/manual etc will be forthcoming. Decent forum over there maybe?

I am that dangerous thing, an amateur who works professionally in video and am always looking for some kind of partner solution for Premiere etc. Have all the options mentioned above, but still haven't found anything that I feel as comfortable on the iPad as I do making music. Happy to support this and give it a run.....BTW, recognized your iMovie/GarageBand equivalence; perfect.

• @RockySmalls said:
    yep, what @skiphunt said ( skip, on the luma forum i am Stockhausen for what its worth )
    except of course he's wrong about lumafusion being the only one to work with layers, Cute cut pro has had unlimited layers etc for a few years .. and it still does a couple of things that lumafusion doesn't (yet) but the interface and workarounds takes a bit of getting used to, i heartily recommend it for experimentalists who want a cheaper alternative.. and i'm advocating Lumafusion now because it will be a bit pricey for some in a week, but I know all these sales and the season will have dwindled peoples itunes accounts.. the team concentrated so hard on the 90 day countdown they maybe weren't up to speed with all the demo's etc that would help people make a decision... there isn't a manual yet, which would certainly stall me on the buy it button usually..
    that said.. it is really kinda user friendly and easy to get the swing of..

Didn't know about Cute Cut Pro.. but the fact I can export a low-res edit out of LumaFusion (or PSP), directly into Auria Pro, then use the Auria Pro video import add-on to do a more complex audio edit with extra fx, synths, etc. then bounce the audio back to LumaFusion and have it all still be in-sync.. is a big plus for me.