Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: finally free from Intua

edited December 2016 in Other

Some of you may know how Ive always promoted Beatmaker 2 and spoke how I'm looking forward to BM3. Well, not anymore.

I had a little spell with BM2 recording mostly audio with just 2 tracks of thumbjam. It was nice to be back working in a familiar environment but that was the only pleasure I derived from it.

In the 2 hours I've used it, it maybe crashed 5 times, with autosave not recalling stuff correctly. WTF?

So, I run through my options remembering that Auria and Cubasis have both recently been on sale and I went to visit my local AppStore. Turns out only Cubasis was on sale so I bought it.

I've bought and returned Cubasis about a year ago as I found it unusable but now....hey, completely different story. No need for manual, everything intuitively laid out. Apart from the horrendous piano instrument that was loaded in the init session everything sound just perfect!

So, to sum it up.

Bm2, I loved you for years but this relationship just couldn't go on any longer. A healthy relationship needs to grow and you've been same old machine since forever. Credit must be given to Cubasis that since its conception has been constantly updated and improved. The developer rappresentative is active on this forum and listens in. What to add?

I'm no longer waiting for BM3. Sod it, whatever Intua. What a joke. Not even latest added Link works properly.

(He goes off playing with his new toy)

Comments

• Let us know whether or not you prefer bm2 sampler over Cubasis sampler.

And enjoy your new toy :smile:

• I wonder when bm3 will come and how it will compare

• @mireko_2 said:
    I wonder when bm3 will come and how it will compare

I've stopped caring, too. I mean, I'm sure I'll get it when/if it comes out, but I seldom think about it.

Good on Dom for moving on.

• I like both and I have a feeling that I will love BM3.

• edited December 2016

@firejan82 said:
    I like both and I have a feeling that I will love BM3.

You're right, BM3 is gonna be amazing but I've never been one thinking much ahead and if I start waiting and planning for BM3 I might just as well start planing for a plot in the cemetery.

I've just recorded a fully acoustic track, about 8 audio tracks. (No problem)

Then I added a simple 4 on the floor beat and copied it across the whole song. (No problem)

Then I copied and pasted a snare shuffle loop from Samplr and audio stretched it to fit the bit as it was too short. (No problem)

Then I added ThumbJam via IAA and recorded an accordion. (No problem)

Then I put iVoxel in the insert of the main vocal track and recorded midi via Cubasis keyboard and sent that midi to ivoxel to control the vocoder notes. (No problem)

Added eq, reverbs etc to tracks.

All done very quickly with no sweat, hiccups or swearing.

I've encountered an undo bug that gets stuck on a 'loading undo point' splash that eventually crashes the app but on restart all is as before. Now instead of undoing the recording I simply delete a recorded region by pressing erase instead. (So, no biggie)

I'm guessing you mean the keyboard sampler @Sbee?

It is nowhere near as sofisticated as the one in beatmaker 2. So no layering etc. It is probably not very different from the one in garage band. I only used the BM2 sampler about once so I'm not too bothered.

The problem with BM2 is that it simply hasn't been maintained. With apple's yearly updates there's bound to be more and more issues that eventually kill all the joy of using a piece of software. Little apps like Samplr might get away with it but big DAWs like BM2 need some elbow grease on regular basis.

• I guess you're not too enamored with your new toy, then. :p

• The BM2 sampler is the only reason I keep it. I really would like someone to release a top notch non DAW sampler for iOS with and AU extension for playback.

• @telecharge said:
    I guess you're not too enamored with your new toy, then. :p

I'm fucking loving it! :smiley:

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    I really would like someone to release a top notch non DAW sampler for iOS with and AU extension for playback.

I'm guessing many of us would. But my takeaway from Dom's testimonials is getting on with it and getting something done instead of wishing and bellyaching for the next thing.

@supadom said:

Coolio.

• @supadom said:

@telecharge said:

Ride the wave Mister.

• @telecharge said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    I really would like someone to release a top notch non DAW sampler for iOS with and AU extension for playback.

I'm guessing many of us would. But my takeaway from Dom's testimonials is getting on with it and getting something done instead of wishing and bellyaching for the next thing.

@supadom said:

Coolio.

Yeah but it's simple to do both. My idea is that the more people write about wanting a sampler for iOS, one day someone might think....hey lets make one. If not I've really lost very little considering I can't get to sleep anyway :p

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    Yeah but it's simple to do both. My idea is that the more people write about wanting a sampler for iOS, one day someone might think....hey lets make one. If not I've really lost very little considering I can't get to sleep anyway :p

I dunno, man. @kobamoto has been banging the drum for years now.

We'll get there eventually, is my view. Until then, I'll just keep putting the puzzle together as the new pieces come out. I noticed that Cubase 9, which just came out last week, has a sampler track as a major new feature. Maybe that will make its way to Cubasis.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@supadom said:

@telecharge said:

Ride the wave Mister.

End of the wave I'm afraid (my girls are back home after 4 amazing days). Good excuse to disappear occasionally though.

• @telecharge said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

I dunno, man. @kobamoto has been banging the drum for years now.

We'll get there eventually, is my view. Until then, I'll just keep putting the puzzle together as the new pieces come out. I noticed that Cubase 9, which just came out last week, has a sampler track as a major new feature. Maybe that will make its way to Cubasis.

Yeah but if we both bang the drum, at least we may get some interesting rhythms going ;)

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@telecharge said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@supadom said:

Coolio.

I think different things work for different people. I like working fast. I'm a bit of a tinkerer but when I have a song in my head and want to track it I don't want to be spending time circumnavigating problems or limitations. Cubasis reminds me very much of gadget. Yes possibly there are better sequencers and synths and samplers out there but they aren't so elegantly packed in an easy to use box. The same goes for Cubasis but with audio. I am still to try these two together but I can already forsee a good deal of head tripping ahead.

• @supadom said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@telecharge said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@supadom said:

Coolio.

I think different things work for different people. I like working fast. I'm a bit of a tinkerer but when I have a song in my head and want to track it I don't want to be spending time circumnavigating problems or limitations. Cubasis reminds me very much of gadget. Yes possibly there are better sequencers and synths and samplers out there but they aren't so elegantly packed in an easy to use box. The same goes for Cubasis but with audio. I am still to try these two together but I can already forsee a good deal of head tripping ahead.

Yeah definitely room for the simplistic and the fully featured in iOS land :)

• Hey it only took 2 years to get panning in the launchpad app, next the circuit, and then the world :#

• @supadom Thanks for the info, I too like to just get ideas down quickly and running into too many hiccups is creativity killer for me!

• edited December 2016

@kobamoto said:
    Hey it only took 2 years to get panning in the launchpad app, next the circuit, and then the world :#

I think you're about to get a new recruit on that one Sergeant.

• Run-DMC says "the hawk is out." If only that were true...

• edited December 2016

Unfortunately BM2 is pretty much the only universal DAW.

• @kobamoto said:
    Hey it only took 2 years to get panning in the launchpad app, next the circuit, and then the world :#

The stereo field in your tracks must be amazing @kobamoto :wink:

• @splashmob said:
    Unfortunately BM2 is pretty much the only universal DAW solution.

Well, there's GarageBand, Multitrack DAW. Music Studio, Looptical and a few others, but if you're just comparing against the big 2, then, yeah, advantage BM2. Some would argue for Gadget, too.

• edited December 2016

@telecharge said:

@splashmob said:

Well, there's GarageBand, Multitrack DAW. Music Studio, Looptical and a few others, but if you're just comparing against the big 2, then, yeah, advantage BM2. Some would argue for Gadget, too.

AFAIK Beatmaker 2 is the only one that supports MIDI out.

• @splashmob said:

Not sure it that is true, but even so, is that a disqualifier for a DAW?

• I should also mention Nanostudio and AUM might be good additions to your iPhone/iPod depending on your other apps.

• @mireko_2 said:

@kobamoto said:

yes it is, I'm now experimenting with panning outside of the audible range of the human ear

• @kobamoto said:

@mireko_2 said:

@kobamoto said:

yes it is, I'm now experimenting with panning outside of the audible range of the human ear

He's outstanding in his field.

• @splashmob said:

@telecharge said:

@splashmob said:

Music Studio has midi out.

• Watch now, BM3 will come out tomorrrow , lol