Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Artiphon Instrument 1 - feedback

all -

anyone here use the Artiphon Instrument1 as a controller? My attempts at fixing my 25-year old Peavy Cyberbass aren't going anywhere, and all the reviews i've seen of the Instrument1 are favorable. would probably want to use it as a 6 string bass type controller (since thats what i play anyway).

DavidEnglish - I see in posts you use one, is it a real controller or more of a toy?

thx all

-thumbslapper

Comments

• edited December 2016

If you want to make a call out to someone, you can start it with @
    Like this:
    @DavidEnglish

• edited December 2016

@thumbslapper said:
    anyone here use the Artiphon Instrument1 as a controller? My attempts at fixing my 25-year old Peavy Cyberbass aren't going anywhere, and all the reviews i've seen of the Instrument1 are favorable. would probably want to use it as a 6 string bass type controller (since thats what i play anyway).

DavidEnglish - I see in posts you use one, is it a real controller or more of a toy?

It's a real controller, as opposed to just being a toy. It's quite playable as a musical instrument. And it allows for a fair amount of expression.

I've had mine since early November, because I was a participant in the Kickstarter campaign back in 2015. When I had a chance to actually try it at Moogfest in May, I couldn't figure out how to play it. When I received it last month, I spent some time exploring the different presets and matching them to some of my favorite iPad synth sounds. I'm a keyboard guy and have never played a string instrument, so I approached it as a new kind of instrument.

It works especially well with the few apps that support MPE MIDI input, such as Animoog and Model 15. I plan to try it soon with Geoshred, now that it supports MPE MIDI input. It also works well with MIDI-input apps that don't yet support MPE. I use it frequently with Addictive Pro, Synthmaster Player, iWavestation, and Alchemy Mobile.

Can't really speak to it being used as a string bass type controller. It has frets, but wouldn't have the feel of strings. It has been very good for bending and sliding notes on my pad-like sounds.

Seems well constructed. And the built-in stereo speakers are a plus, as the audio routes back to the Instrument 1 by default, when it's attached to my iPad.

On the downside, there's no wireless option.

Hope that helps.

• thank you for the review.

• I like it but it seems to need some time for customization. It doesn't come with a lot of preset scales as far as I can tell. It is easy to set up with Animoog and pressure relates easily to the mod but I don't really understand what's going on under the hood. Good for people who want an expressive controller and are willing to take the time for setup. If you're just looking for plug and play I'm not sure it improves on just the Animoog controller.

• @DavidEnglish - you might like the Puc+ by Zivix. Got mine on the Indiegogo kickstarter. I use it for connecting my Kboard and FCB1010 ( has both USB & 5pin). Of course it would connect via USB to the Artiphon. Depending on how you play it (standing, sitting, on a surface) you could attach the Puc+ to the strap, hang it in a bag, set it on a table top.

Just thought I'd throw that out there since you mentioned not having wireless connectivity (built-in).

• @DavidEnglish / @thesammiller - thx for the comments, they were great. There is also the eiglenlabs gear, which looks nice but is pricey (esp their higher end models). Like you I'd use it to control Model15 and Animoog, there are some great basses on those 2 apps. Now that GeoShred suports MIDI out i've been using that and it works really well, but would be nice to have something more tactile.

The Puc+ looks cool, and an easy way to make it wireless.

I'm seriously thinking about buying it in a few months...

-carl

• @Ganthofer said:
    @DavidEnglish - you might like the Puc+ by Zivix. Got mine on the Indiegogo kickstarter. I use it for connecting my Kboard and FCB1010 ( has both USB & 5pin). Of course it would connect via USB to the Artiphon. Depending on how you play it (standing, sitting, on a surface) you could attach the Puc+ to the strap, hang it in a bag, set it on a table top.

Just thought I'd throw that out there since you mentioned not having wireless connectivity (built-in).

@Ganthofer, thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.

• edited January 2017

@DavidEnglish - you might like the Puc+ by Zivix. Got mine on the Indiegogo kickstarter. I use it for connecting my Kboard and FCB1010 ( has both USB & 5pin). Of course it would connect via USB to the Artiphon. Depending on how you play it (standing, sitting, on a surface) you could attach the Puc+ to the strap, hang it in a bag, set it on a table top.

@Ganthofer, thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.

I tried the puc+ with I1, and I1 froze on startup. Someone at Zivix investigated and confirmed that I1 is not currently supported. Apparently I1 is a control surface requiring 2-way MIDI but puc+ is only one-way: either IN or OUT. In my experience, I1 works fine with just MIDI OUT but, apparently, it does not like that puc+ will only work in one direction.

On the other hand, the Yamaha UD-BT01 works fine and sells for half the price of the puc+. Attach the UD-BT01 to a a mintyboost for wireless operation.

• A question for any artiphon owner out there. Trying to figure out if my instrument is defective or not. Not a guitar player, so maybe I'm clueless but when I touch a fret I hear a sound. Hammer on sensitivity doesn't seem to make any difference. Should I hear anything if I am just laying fingers down on the frets and not strumming anything ?

• Bumping this thread up.

Anyone doing anything interesting on the Artiphon?

• edited April 2018

It's my controller of choice these days, particularly since they brought in accelerometer tilt and volume knob CC9; it feels very natural to be controlling the screen with the right hand while playing the Artiphon in tap mode with the left. I like to tune the bottom two strings down an octave when controlling synths, and because you can play multiple notes per strong I've also been playing around with a two-handed tap tuning that gets five continuous octaves out of it by tuning the first six frets down an octave and the top six up one. I went through a phase of routing the bridge triggers to percussion, bass, or chords in Midiflow, though it's fiddly in MPE mode. It's fantastic with something like LayR; the tilt feature is so much more natural than a traditional mod wheel.

It really is a lovely piece of kit, and great for just running through scales and arpeggios on one headphone while watching TV. I ponied up for the Jamstik 12 today, but more to support them than because I'm expecting it to displace the Artiphon in my own use.

• @Masanga said:
    It's my controller of choice these days, particularly since they brought in accelerometer tilt and volume knob CC9;

@Masanga Would love to hear more about the tilt feature ... reading this thread has given me GAS again ...

• edited December 2019

@bibenu said:

@Masanga said:
    It's my controller of choice these days, particularly since they brought in accelerometer tilt and volume knob CC9;

@Masanga Would love to hear more about the tilt feature ... reading this thread has given me GAS again ...

Sorry not to have seen this while they had their sale on at the weekend! But the tilt function is great: it sends out CC1 mod wheel within a user-defined set of angles, so you can set the threshold and maximum depending on your preferred playing position. So you just lift the nut end of the I1 as you play and it'll control your soft synth's mod wheel or whatever else you opt to do with CC1.

ROLI's Equator and the iOS apps that use its engine (Noise, Seaboard 5D) have a slightly idiosyncratic MIDI mapping under which CC1 is rather marginalised and CC74 Brightness is the message mapped to the Slide dimension (a sort of mod wheel on steroids), but Noise also accepts CC1 for this dimension and for the others you can just use MidiFire or StreamByter to map CC1 to CC74. (Further details with screenshots on the Artiphon forum here.)

I'm still kind of blown away by this controller after nearly 3 years. I find it far more sensitive and expressive than my Seaboard Block, particularly for solo lines; it only takes a light touch to trigger notes and then you can do really gorgeous things with bend, aftertouch, and tilt. (Try it with Roger Linn's favourite ROLI preset Mellow Duduk.)

Limitations:

• aftertouch and pitch bend are the same action at different levels of pressure, so you can't combine them in as flexible ways as with a Seaboard;

• even with the CC74 remapping, Slide is global rather than per-note as on the Seaboard range;

• no Bluetooth MIDI without cumbersome third-party gear;

• the bridge triggers aren't all that and if you're a decent fingerstyle guitarist you won't find them responsive enough to pick at speed. It's primarily a tap instrument for players whose fretting hand is comfortable with the fingerboard (and who don't mind the equal-width frets, to which you get used within a day or two).

But if you're even a little bit more of a guitarist than a keyboardist, or if you just want an MPE controller with a bit more responsiveness to soft touches than the Seaboards offer, it's pretty compelling. (And if you have a Seaboard, you can play that with your right hand and the I1 with your left at the same time...)

• edited December 2019

[Sorry, hit Post rather than Save on an edit to the above; duplicate deleted.]