Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Drum Session vs Drum Perfect Pro (Drummers only )

I'm a drummer so I like to program my own rhythms .
Which of these two apps is better in terms of raw one shot multi velocity samples? (Looking forward to the ne Beathawk)
*not really "drummers only" but geared more toward musicians who program their own rhythms .

Comments

• Without experience of Drum Session, I can say that DrumPerfect Pro allows you to have 16 samples per drum/instrument. With the coming (soon to be released) update you can add other samples and sample control to that. Compared to reviews I've seen of Drum Session, DrumPerfect Pro is still the king of the hill when it comes to "complete control". Drum Sessions seems to be fairly quick to work with though, which is the area where DPP could improve (file handling).

I am looking forward to getting Drum Session nevertheless, but will wait until they add dry kits (I.e non-reverb) as that is a must for me.

• Thanks, Hellquist!!

• My first instrument was snare drum in 6th grade, got a kit & played through highschool but guitar bit me and drums took a backseat. I am grateful though cause drumming made playing guitar easier to pick up as a teen and still today I'm very picky about drum sounds & parts.

The latest drum app hype has been centered on Drum Session of course, which is very EZ Drummer in execution but with cool twists. I'll get it eventually but it's early in it's development and assembling truly custom grooves is not it's wheelhouse. If you want solid drum tracks to accompany a guitar based song, demo, etc. with minimal fuss then Drum Session looks badass.

Drum Perfect Pro IS the minutiae ad nauseam drum app. I love it but if you aren't prepared to dig a bit to get a perfect drum track as YOU really want, it can be very challenging. But like I will spend the time on a solo or vox harmony part I will definitely do it with the foundation of the track, drums.

Hellquist nailed it. If you want extreme control, ability to create very realistic, lifelike parts then Drum Perfect. You can get ghost notes, time sig changes, everything you could need. It takes some getting used to as the UI is a bit fiddly.

If you just want a fully realized drum track quickly, no micromanagement, then Drum Session is the new king of that realm.

• @JRSIV said:
    My first instrument was snare drum in 6th grade, got a kit & played through highschool but guitar bit me and drums took a backseat. I am grateful though cause drumming made playing guitar easier to pick up as a teen and still today I'm very picky about drum sounds & parts.

The latest drum app hype has been centered on Drum Session of course, which is very EZ Drummer in execution but with cool twists. I'll get it eventually but it's early in it's development and assembling truly custom grooves is not it's wheelhouse. If you want solid drum tracks to accompany a guitar based song, demo, etc. with minimal fuss then Drum Session looks badass.

Drum Perfect Pro IS the minutiae ad nauseam drum app. I love it but if you aren't prepared to dig a bit to get a perfect drum track as YOU really want, it can be very challenging. But like I will spend the time on a solo or vox harmony part I will definitely do it with the foundation of the track, drums.

Hellquist nailed it. If you want extreme control, ability to create very realistic, lifelike parts then Drum Perfect. You can get ghost notes, time sig changes, everything you could need. It takes some getting used to as the UI is a bit fiddly.

If you just want a fully realized drum track quickly, no micromanagement, then Drum Session is the new king of that realm.

That's a fairly accurate assessment....I've heard so many good things about DDP. I've tried it in the past...and it was just too much for me to swallow. However, the possibilities are amazing. As far as DS...it's quick and easy.....that's what I need in my workflow....if I ever have a lull in my schedule (please, please, please...just a few more hours in the day...lol) I may find myself revisiting DPP and spending some time with it :)

• Yes I found DPP to be a total bummer for myself. Trying to get anything very useful is such a pain in the ass when compared to drum session especially. It CAN sound good but so time consuming I found no joy with it.

• @DerekBuddemeyer said:

@JRSIV said:
    My first instrument was snare drum in 6th grade, got a kit & played through highschool but guitar bit me and drums took a backseat. I am grateful though cause drumming made playing guitar easier to pick up as a teen and still today I'm very picky about drum sounds & parts.

That's a fairly accurate assessment....I've heard so many good things about DDP. I've tried it in the past...and it was just too much for me to swallow. However, the possibilities are amazing. As far as DS...it's quick and easy.....that's what I need in my workflow....if I ever have a lull in my schedule (please, please, please...just a few more hours in the day...lol) I may find myself revisiting DPP and spending some time with it :)

I spent $120+ on the Black Friday sales on the AppStore so that was pretty much THE consideration in not getting Drum Session from jumpstreet. I know I will sooner than later.

Thank you Derek for understanding my point, especially since I dig your app and think it's great. Comparing apps in the same genre can be tricky since the workflow, UI and the devs vision can take time to reach it's potential. It's like comparing Amplitube and BIAS: Amplitube has editing functions but it's more of a name brand amp sim that is heavy on presets with tons of UI gloss. BIAS is a super deep, down to the transformer tinkerers dream, very complex and very deep. Both are great for certain uses and needs of the player, but are very different.

I see DS as an already deep app that's also a blank canvas for you to add many levels of editing, customization, etc. Since you're so cool about listening to the iOS music community I am excited about it's future.

• @JRSIV said:

@DerekBuddemeyer said:

@JRSIV said:

I spent $120+ on the Black Friday sales on the AppStore so that was pretty much THE consideration in not getting Drum Session from jumpstreet. I know I will sooner than later.

Thank you Derek for understanding my point, especially since I dig your app and think it's great. Comparing apps in the same genre can be tricky since the workflow, UI and the devs vision can take time to reach it's potential. It's like comparing Amplitube and BIAS: Amplitube has editing functions but it's more of a name brand amp sim that is heavy on presets with tons of UI gloss. BIAS is a super deep, down to the transformer tinkerers dream, very complex and very deep. Both are great for certain uses and needs of the player, but are very different.

I see DS as an already deep app that's also a blank canvas for you to add many levels of editing, customization, etc. Since you're so cool about listening to the iOS music community I am excited about it's future.

Thanks for the feedback...we are always watching and listening to what the needs of our users are. As long as they fit our vision...we will surely entertain the thought of adding new features in addition to the ones we already have planned :)

• edited December 2016

All these new drum apps made me more appreciative of DPP. It's not the most beautiful interface, or the most intuitive, but its drum kits and pieces are second to none, it's ridiculously flexible, the IAP kits are great yet with a generous price tag, and these days quite a few customers prefered drums I recorded with it than with EZDrummer. It doesn't do MIDI out, which is a shame, but with an update on its way, perhaps @Gilbert and @Marinus will adress this. And I still dream with kits with separate Overheads and Ambient and even leak elements, in addition the usual (great sounding) close mic'ed pieces. Since a dream has no limits, perhaps a Drum Perfect Plus update with another page in the app, a mixer page, with some basic insert FX and independent panning for each element.

I am more and more convinced than iOS is what is preventing the developers to provide us with functionality we take for granted in the Desktop: file transfer, file management, stem exporting etc. Sandboxing does make our iPads safe, but makes everything involving apps talking to each other a real pain.

• Yeah believe me, I love DPP also. It's a beast to tame but for hose with the time, and drumming knowledge, it's a real gem. I personally drive it with midi clips in Cubasis. It works ok but there's still the occasional lock up or non sounding notes but again that's not DPPs fault rather the mapping in the drum clips. But as a non pro drummer it is super easier for me to select premade pro arranged midi loops as in DS. I still use DPP and will continue as it begs to be discovered and played with only to reward those that have the time and patience to do so IMHO.