Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

In search of a proper sampler app.

Okay, so I am in the middle of a problem. Auria Pro doesn't seem to have a traditional sampler app what can load and trigger .wav files. By this, I mean something like an actual editable keyboard sampler, not a drum machine. Kind of like Cubasis' sampler but in an app format. Or rather like Sir Sampleton, but a bit deeper. Anybody know if such a thing exists? Thank you for your help in advance.

Comments

• e-l-s-a is quite nice but the UI needs time to get used to :)
    http://www.humbletune.com/elsa/

• Sample wiz ?

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Okay, so I am in the middle of a problem. Auria Pro doesn't seem to have a traditional sampler app what can load and trigger .wav files. By this, I mean something like an actual editable keyboard sampler, not a drum machine. Kind of like Cubasis' sampler but in an app format. Or rather like Sir Sampleton, but a bit deeper. Anybody know if such a thing exists? Thank you for your help in advance.

PCMSynth in Caustic. New version is supposed to be out soon which has stereo sampling.

I know - it was "soon" in January but the dev recently posted on the Caustic board and said a "couple of weeks" to have the final release out.

• Who knows maybe the upcoming BeatHawk 2.0 will be the Sampler App we've been waiting for...
    (BeatMaker 3 will most likely be pretty solid app too considering how well featured BeatMaker 2 already is).

• @BiancaNeve said:
    Sample wiz ?

• You can load a sample into Auria, edut it as you want and then select to play that in Lyra - maybe not as flexible as you would like (no multisamples) but a start.

• Beat maker 2 can do this as well, load a sample instrument click on Mapping and there you can load samples on the keyboard set note range etc.

• +1 for BM2.

• Alrighty, some decent suggestions. Now Lyra, to my knowledge, didn't have sample import, just sf2.

Can BM2 be played as an instrument via Auria MIDI output?

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Alrighty, some decent suggestions. Now Lyra, to my knowledge, didn't have sample import, just sf2.

I have not tried it but i believe it can it supports virtual midi in and out so it should work.

• ThumbJam will do it, although the interface for building your own instruments in the app isn't the easiest (yet). It supports multi-sampled, multi-velocity layer instruments, and can be played via midi, or IAA, and with up to 8 simultaneous instruments.

• edited December 2016

I frequently use AudioShare to cut samples from audio tracks.
    The auto-naming makes it easy to trim a few seconds from longer takes and keep the original.
    Sometimes I switch to record it's own output with effects or to circumvent (the annoying) normalize to 0dBfs by manually set it's record level.
    Then trash all intermediate files, rename the final result and go on with the next.
    Probably reads clumsy but works surprisingly well.
    AudioShare can transfer to a lot of apps that do the midi/playback part of the job.

• edited December 2016

@hacked_to_pieces said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Alrighty, some decent suggestions. Now Lyra, to my knowledge, didn't have sample import, just sf2.

I have not tried it but i believe it can it supports virtual midi in and out so it should work.

BeatMaker is the only real iOS Sampler that I can think of!

• edited December 2016

BM2 does support Virtual MIDI in that it publishes both ports but Virtual Out (IIRC) is broken from day 1 and never fixed.

The BM2 sampler is the only one I've found that does zoning, multi-sampling, and layering, with velocity masking.

• Auria does allow you to play user samples in Lyra, although it doesn't support multi-sampling etc but if you need just the basic ability to edit a sound and then play it on the keyboard that is supported, see this post:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/291404/#Comment_291404

• @Samu said:
    e-l-s-a is quite nice but the UI needs time to get used to :)

Couldn't get my head around it. Sometimes I feel I need to get high just to understand how it works :)

Can it load my audio files? I see I can record audio, or open one of the default sets, but can't find how to add my samples

• @yug said:

@Samu said:

Couldn't get my head around it. Sometimes I feel I need to get high just to understand how it works :)

Can it load my audio files? I see I can record audio, or open one of the default sets, but can't find how to add my samples

One needs to be a bit 'high'(at least mentally) to get around the humbletune apps but that's their charm too :)

e-l-s-a can have one sample for all keys, individual samples per octave or individual samples per key.
    And the sample length is a 'divider'. I've read the manual a few times and I'm still sometimes puzzled :D

• @Dubbylabby said:

@kobamoto said:

@BiancaNeve said:
    Sample wiz ?

• There seems to be no way to set the root note in Samplewiz as far as I can tell.
    Very strange omission.
    Also the interface design makes me question my faith in humanity.
    YMMV.

• edited December 2016

@iamspoon said:
    There seems to be no way to set the root note in Samplewiz as far as I can tell.
    Very strange omission.
    YMMV.

There kind of is

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/5627/samplewiz-and-other-samplers/p1

• edited December 2016

@iamspoon said:
    There seems to be no way to set the root note in Samplewiz as far as I can tell.
    Very strange omission.
    YMMV.

Agreed. Also, it's created to facilitate the playing jof the sample (preferably by Rick Wakeman or something) rather than the editing and manipulation of it. I think what the hive mind wants is a cross between Beatmaker 2's "chop lab," iMPC Pro's interface, and Samplr's playability.

• @richardyot said:
    Auria does allow you to play user samples in Lyra, although it doesn't support multi-sampling etc but if you need just the basic ability to edit a sound and then play it on the keyboard that is supported, see this post:

You win the day mate! It may not be multilayered, but that'll work just fine, at least for triggering drum samples.

• @BiancaNeve said:

@iamspoon said:
    Very strange omission.
    YMMV.

There kind of is

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/5627/samplewiz-and-other-samplers/p1

@BiancaNeve Thanks, never found that before for some reason. That makes it a lot more usable!
    Sorry for my negativity, but I still wish they would revise the sickness inducing background layers moving around though!

• @sonosaurus said:
    ThumbJam will do it, although the interface for building your own instruments in the app isn't the easiest (yet). It supports multi-sampled, multi-velocity layer instruments, and can be played via midi, or IAA, and with up to 8 simultaneous instruments.

Can you elaborate on the process for making our own multi-sampled, multi-velocity layer instruments? I'm really keen to get this working.

• @Hmtx said:

@sonosaurus said:
    ThumbJam will do it, although the interface for building your own instruments in the app isn't the easiest (yet). It supports multi-sampled, multi-velocity layer instruments, and can be played via midi, or IAA, and with up to 8 simultaneous instruments.

Can you elaborate on the process for making our own multi-sampled, multi-velocity layer instruments? I'm really keen to get this working.

I would love to grok how to get all my favorite ESX 24 instruments from Logic into Thumbjam ( and a good grip of my fav Sculpture and Alchemy patches too!)

• edited February 2017

@yug said:

@Samu said:

You've likely already figured this out... but you can paste in your own samples by copying to general pasteboard or audiocopy via AudioShare, etc. then selecting the graphic at top left in e-l-s-a, select import, then audiopaste from pasteboard.

To echo what you originally posted, it's taken me awhile to finally "get" e-l-s-a. When you look at everything this unique app offers, including link, midi control, it's Universal and now you can load it in AUM both as an effect and as a generator, record directly into it via AUM or AB... etc. This is an amazing app. It's lightweight too at only 16MB... and for $2?! Incredible.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@richardyot said:
    Auria does allow you to play user samples in Lyra, although it doesn't support multi-sampling etc but if you need just the basic ability to edit a sound and then play it on the keyboard that is supported, see this post:

You win the day mate! It may not be multilayered, but that'll work just fine, at least for triggering drum samples.

For those few of us still clinging to Auria (standard) - I've used Gadget's Bilbao to load, edit and sequence some fairly realistic drum tracks with my own one shot samples (borrowed from SampleTank? Perish the thought.)

• @sonosaurus said:

+1 thumbjam is a BEAST

• Elsa +1.
    You can also use an external virtual/hardware keyboard. The best part for me is the forward and backward looping option which can create some nice granular like sounds in combination with the ARP.