Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ultraphaser anyone? Full Audiobus compatibility!

I'm such a phase freak I just jumped on this one. Up to TWENTY-FOUR stages... Does it make anyone else's mouth water?
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id619175810?mt=8

Comments

• The interface looks really nice, but their LiveFX dj app kinda scared me away from their other apps. Any impressions on this one yet?

• Yeah I wasn't too impressed by LiveFX either. But this is really a completely different class of effect.

I just ran a rich-palette drumbeat through a few of the presets, and initial impression is: WOW. Not only are there tons of powerful options (like frequency center, waveshape rise/fall...), but they sound great. Not sure how (lacking a delay function I havent uncovered yet), but it does some convincing flange effects too, and the gain control in low-stage modes appears to do a convincing lo-fi analog phase "grit".

No time to dig deeper right now, but I do not regret my purchase.

• Same as @ChrisG. I'll need to hear this first. LiveFX is a very cool concept but the effects themselves just don't do it for me.

• Wait and see. I have a feeling this is gonna be a popular one. Unless two more, comparably powerful phasers come out this week! ;)

• No danger here guys this is a definite YES. Works well through AB and sounds really nice.

• @eyeballjackson: I'll better start working on it... :)

• edited August 2013

You can't say A and not say B...Give us a time frame here Liljedahl lol

Edit: I'll put it like this, should I wait a while and see what might show up on the AppStore, or not? ;)

• @ChrisG given how quickly @j_liljedahl released Oscillator after someone asked for it here, I wouldn't be surprised! Though something tells me that was a well-timed coincidence. Then again so could this...

• edited August 2013

Yea I do know he's really fast at churning out quality stuff (going by other really great stuff released not only on his own Kymatica, but for other companies on the AppStore as well). So yea, who knows...hmpf I'll try and hold of for a while :)

• I'm taking @j_liljedahl's ";)" as "it's already started" not matter what the truth is!

• Well phasers are one of my favorite effects, so ill gladly buy another if its good, no fear of redundancy here.

I left my iPad at work :( but I did get to check Ultraphaser out a bit more. It sounds EXCELLENT and the features are very well thought out and implemented. If you judge it based on elephantcandy's liveDJ multieffect app, you do so at your own peril - Ultraphaser is really an outstanding effect app. I'd say its a better phaser than any of the iOS reverb apps are as reverbs, if that makes any sense...

• Actually I don't have the time to do a phaser app right now, but I will do in the future! So don't wait for it. And I'm sure it will be very different from Ultraphaser, so no need to choose only one.

I have another app for the next one in the AUFX series however. Announcement will come soon!

• edited March 2014

• I looked for a vid but couldn't find one so I'll get it anyway, and everyone who has got it says it's great so I don't think it will be a waste of money..so a video in the next few days..by then of course someone will put one out...

• Cool features in this app that have this phaser lover going bananas:

mono/stereo input
    4/6/8/12/24 stages
    frequency center control (this is HUGE for me and not as common as it should be)
    degree of shift and shape transform controls
    Visualized LFO readout

The "vectorscope" might be a little gimmicky, but it's pretty and doesn't compromise real estate...

I'll share a simple piece that shows off Ultraphaser in a day or two...

• edited March 2014

• yes it's weird, you'd think the week or so that Apple takes to validate an app would be enough to get a video done...
    Early teasers work well too, to create anticipation and generate interest and demand, even if they're using an unfinished copy.

• Ok got the app and its stunning, will probably put a video up Sat or Sunday at the latest..I'm just putting the finishing to touches my iFretless Sax vid which should be up later today with a bit of luck..then onto the Ultra Phaser one..

• I sometimes think its the chase...the anticipation.
    Once I've got an app,I mainly just faff with it.
    That said,getting this:)

• edited August 2013

Only tried it briefly, but sounds decent to me so far, and the LFO window is a really nice touch the way you can interact with that instead of the sliders. What is it with elephantcandy and all the clipping resulting in nasty noise spikes in their apps, not saying they should slap a brick wall limiter in all their apps, but they need to take a look at that and lock that shit down before they ruin someone's ears..

• Definitely a valid point about the clipping; hopefully that can be handled in an update? What say ye, Elephantcandy?

• does someone have a hardware phaser (preferably a EHX Small Stone) and this app, and compare the sound? That would be interesting.

About the clipping, this is when the input signal is too hot. Lower the output of the incoming signal.

• I like Live Effects! To me it's all about the timing of the orbs and the effects mix.

• edited August 2013

@Phil999 you're right about that, but the noise spikes are still nasty. Maybe an onboard input level control wold help...

• edited August 2013

hm, may I ask, is it a drum loop as input? Maybe one has to tame the signal first with a compressor/limiter, and then feed it into Ultraphaser. I see in the GUI there is a gain control for the Ultraphaser output, but not for the input. But that's actually the same with hardware phasers, they rarely have input gain stages. And it's the same problem in some cases, one has to lower or compress the volume of the incoming signal.

• Yeah I'm working with a drum loop, but the spikes are serious enough I'm sure they're evident with other signals too.

An input level control would help (there currently isn't one).

• If anyone's still interested, here's a self-indulgent track I threw together where EVERY TRACK is run through Ultraphaser. It's DRIPPING with phase effects, and shows off Ultraphaser at its most over-the-top (and least subtle).

• Hmph...Didn't phase me a bit!