Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Do you know of any apps with buggy background launching?

Hi all,

Since we're supporting background launching with Audiobus 3 I'm currently making a list of apps that have issues with it so Audiobus 3 is not even trying to launch them into the background.

Currently I know of

DM1
Samplr
Beatmaker 2
MultiTrack DAW

While some of the developers might update their apps and fix this, some might not.

Do you know any other apps like that?

Cheers,

Sebastian

Comments

• I've had ToneStack have some crackling sound issues when going back and forward from the background. Not sure if that's the sort of thing you mean.

• Would this be apps that say when launching inside AUM do not load and you have to go and start them from the desktop first ?

• @AndyPlankton said:
    Would this be apps that say when launching inside AUM do not load and you have to go and start them from the desktop first ?

Yep.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    I've had ToneStack have some crackling sound issues when going back and forward from the background. Not sure if that's the sort of thing you mean.

Nope, only apps that cannot be launched at all.

• @Sebastian said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    I've had ToneStack have some crackling sound issues when going back and forward from the background. Not sure if that's the sort of thing you mean.

Nope, only apps that cannot be launched at all.

Ok got ya.

• @Sebastian said:
    Hi all,

Since we're supporting background launching with Audiobus 3 I'm currently making a list of apps that have issues with them so Audiobus 3 is not even trying to launch them into the background.

Currently I know of

DM1
    Samplr
    Beatmaker 2
    MultiTrack DAW

While some of the developers might update their apps and fix this, some might not.

Do you know any other apps like that?

Cheers,

Sebastian

So tested thru AUM are: Alchemy/FL Studio "Groove Machine Mobile"/Final Touch/Caustic/NanoStudio/Gestrument............ So far(via IAA)

• edited November 2016

Livefx crashes on Aum. Korg Module doesn't work properly in background sometimes, blocs wave crakles using it AB to AS but when record doesn't record the glitches (so not annonying ;) )
    I had more related to AUM being stuck forcing me restsrt ipad but these now are gone since I use different apps and don't remember what were those exactly (I usually mess with vocoder like voicemachine, samvda, iMini, iPolysix and LoopyHd) but by far the more buggy behaviour is on livefx app. Maybe it's asking for update (Audiounit port please...)

• Thank you. Please keep them coming. :)

• midiSequencer (Tony Saunders dev)
    I love this app, but I must always launch it first if I'm using AUM.

• Tested on Air2 iOS 9.3.5 with AUM. All apps are latest versions.

Problem apps (input slot):
    Analog Synth X
    AnalogKit
    Attack
    BIAS AMP
    Earhoof
    Geoshred
    Gumdrops
    Hexaglyphics
    Lauchpad
    NodeBeat HD
    Oscilab
    Photophore
    Pro MIDI
    Real Xylophone
    ROTOR
    Samplr
    STROM
    Tachyon
    Triqtraq
    Uberchord

Effect slot:
    Audulus 3
    DFX
    MS Processor
    SunVox Filter

All above apps either fail to launch first time into background, or disconnect themselves immediately after adding them. Some are already mentioned in earlier posts, but I just listed all the ones that are unreliable on my iPad.

Interestingly, Final Touch works fine on my iPad, in input and effect slots in AUM, though I noticed it gives @studs1966 problems.

• @Vecoto said:
    Tested on Air2 iOS 9.3.5 with AUM. All apps are latest versions.

Problem apps (input slot):
    Analog Synth X
    AnalogKit
    Attack
    BIAS AMP
    Earhoof
    Geoshred
    Gumdrops
    Hexaglyphics
    Lauchpad
    NodeBeat HD
    Oscilab
    Photophore
    Pro MIDI
    Real Xylophone
    ROTOR
    Samplr
    STROM
    Tachyon
    Triqtraq
    Uberchord

Effect slot:
    Audulus 3
    DFX
    MS Processor
    SunVox Filter

All above apps either fail to launch first time into background, or disconnect themselves immediately after adding them. Some are already mentioned in earlier posts, but I just listed all the ones that are unreliable on my iPad.

Interestingly, Final Touch works fine on my iPad, in input and effect slots in AUM, though I noticed it gives @studs1966 problems.

I'm on Air 1 with latest iOS. . Always had a little problem with Final Touch. In AUM it turns red, so it won't load. To get around this, I have to load Final Touch first, then reload it up. Even deleted it then reinstalled it. Still does the same thing. Shame really. It's a nice app.

• owiowi
    edited November 2016

air1, ios 10.0.2, latest audiobus, latest app versions, iconnectivity iconnect audio4+:
    input:
    all michael eskin apps
    flexi kick
    soft drummer

edit:
    michael eskin apps work with audio hardware with only two inputs and don´t with audio hardware with multiple inputs.

• Don't know if this qualifies but noticed Sampletank 2 reboots when one returns to it sometimes fro being i another app. Even when Background is enabled in settings.

• CS Spectral

• Excellent work, guys. I think I'll have to do something to make sure we've got no false positives. TriqTraq for example launches into the background. But until then, please keep it coming. :)

• edited November 2016

@Sebastian said:
    Excellent work, guys. I think I'll have to do something to make sure we've got no false positives. TriqTraq for example launches into the background. But until then, please keep it coming. :)

Ah, that's interesting. I checked all the apps in my original list again, (using AUM as before). AnalogKit, Launchpad and triqtraq each loaded successfully this time. All the other apps still had problems. Not sure why it was inconsistent. Sorry about that

• @Vecoto said:

@Sebastian said:
    Excellent work, guys. I think I'll have to do something to make sure we've got no false positives. TriqTraq for example launches into the background. But until then, please keep it coming. :)

Ah, that's interesting. I checked all the apps in my original list again, (using AUM as before). AnalogKit, Launchpad and triqtraq each loaded successfully this time. All the other apps still had problems. Not sure why it was inconsistent. Sorry about that

Oh please... your list is very helpful! You might have run into IAA zombie issues which kept apps from being launched properly. This kind of stuff is hard.

• Completely off topic but once an app is launched and loaded, clicking on that app icon in AB brings the app back in focus. If that action of bringing app in focus could be mapped to a midi controller... That would be awesome.

• @gburks said:
    Completely off topic but once an app is launched and loaded, clicking on that app icon in AB brings the app back in focus. If that action of bringing app in focus could be mapped to a midi controller... That would be awesome.

We know, we know. :)

• edited December 2016

The audiobus app has trouble launching in the background.

• @Lacm1993 said:
    The audiobus app has trouble launching in the background.

Very funny :)

• Update: looks like we're going to have to wait for developers to update their apps to the Audiobus 3 SDK to support this. Background launching is so buggy on iOS that we're not actually going to save you time by enabling it without developers preparing their apps for it.