Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tascam DR-22WL Update

Back in August I mentioned the portable recorder Tascam DR-22WL that I bought for field recording. It's more targeted at musicians with a neat DUB feature, etc. but why I bought it was that it (as well as the DR-44WL) have built-in wifi.

I was annoyed and angered that this product basically only used wifi to control the device remotely. You could transfer a file remotely to your iOS device, but you couldn't do anything with it other than upload to soundcloud. You couldn't even freakin' delete transferred audio files!

Update: I'm very happy to inform that Tascam updated their iOS DR app and the firmware for both the DR-22/44WL recorders. You can now stream your recording to your iOS device, transfer your files and "open in" pretty much all your audio apps, etc. It's completely useful and very cool now. The sound quality is very good, but the mics are a bit too sensitive. I've basically put a permanent mini-dead cat on mine for all recording.

The quick access dial for different kinds of recording is easy to knock off what your preset selection is if you're not careful. But other than those miner niggles, it's a pretty cool portable recorder.

On Amazon it's around $100 but I've seen deals going for closer to $80ish.

Comments

• Thanks for the heads up. I'd updated the app without reading what had been updated. I'll re visit ;-)

• @enc said:
    Thanks for the heads up. I'd updated the app without reading what had been updated. I'll re visit ;-)

If you have one of these, remember you also have to update the device firmware. Mine went easy and seems to work great now. Streaming wirelessly from the recorder to your iOS device is slow, but it works.

• Yeah there appears to be s firmware update option in the app. I'll give it a whirl tonight. Thanks again.

• @enc said:
    Yeah there appears to be s firmware update option in the app. I'll give it a whirl tonight. Thanks again.

Which one do you have? The preset dial on the DR-22WL is cool when you just want to grab something very quick without putting on headphones and adjusting levels manually, but it's so easy to knock of setting. Seems fairly accurate without even monitoring. Have you found a workaround? The presets click into place, but I have to double-check every time to see if I've knocked it off. Wish there was a way to lock that dial down.

• encenc
    edited November 2016

I have the dr44wl which I bought to replace a zoom h2 thinking the wifi features would be really useful. But like you, found in its original form, a bit fiddly and of no real speed advantage. . With this latest update I think it'll be much more usefull. I love the od functions and (metal body) build quality of the unit. Hopefully I can now put the h2 to bed :D

• edited November 2016

enc, cool. I almost regret not buying the DR44 instead for the XLR, but I've already got a Sony PCM-M10 that I still love and also have a small XLR phantom-powered interface that works fine.

Just looked at the DR44 again. Doesn't look like you have the same issue with the selector knob easily being knocked off. But, I think I can just put a fat rubberband (preferably transparent) around the middle to hold the setting in place.

• I guess one of the earlier updates broke the app, huh. Mine won’t connect anymore, and I see it hasn’t been updated for five years.
    Any other third party apps or Wi-Fi transfer work arounds anyone know of?
    I don’t have a PC, so I cannot use the memory card. I have a USB powered hub and an old card reader, but I don’t believe iOS devices read or transfer in the same fashion as a PC, correct?